What is your jogging speed?

Options
I am slow...slower than a turtle riding a wave of cold molasses slow, but I am determined that one day I will be a runner. So I was just wondering for comparison and goal-setting purposes, what is your typical jogging/running speed? I clocked in at a sad 4 mph this morning.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You're already a runner. You're doing great. Everyone feels as if they are running slow....much slower than anyone else. You're getting out there and you're running.

How long have you been running? How far do you run?

Don't worry about speed. That will come over time.

I've been running for 1 1/2 years now, three times a week, and my speed is about 8Kph (5 mph).
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm really just starting. I'm working on intervals of either 30 seconds or a tenth of a mile at a time on the treadmill.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Any running is better than no running in my opinion, so I agree with the above poster! I only started running/jogging daily about a month ago, but I am already up from 5.5 to a comfortable 6mph. For shorter distances, like 2 miles I can do 6.5. Four weeks ago 6.5mph felt like a sprint to me and I was red and out of breath. Keep pushing yourself and you'll see the results.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm really just starting. I'm working on intervals of either 30 seconds or a tenth of a mile at a time on the treadmill.

Have you tried the C25K app? It starts you with a 30 second run period and works you up to a 30 minute run period in 9 weeks. It was a fun program to follow.
    How's your breathing? If you pant, huff-puff and cannot speak a sentence while running, you're going too fast. Slow down (yeah...I know, you think you're too slow already but...). The first few weeks of learning to run are used to bring all your body systems to the same level. Right now, they are a bit out of sync. In a few weeks, they'll be synced and you will increase both time and (slowly) speed. When I started, I was running at about 3.75 mph (sometimes slower if I started panting too much).
    Take it easy and go slow. You'll get quicker and you'll reach your goal of running longer distances (in time....give yourself some time).
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started out pretty slow, when i finished the rundouble C25K i think i was at 4.9 mph, now i'm working on the rundouble 5k improver and im up to 5.2

heres my runs, if you or anyone else wants to see. http://www.rundouble.com/user/fb:590392460/WXkjM0eK
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    How do you know how fast you are going? My app just gives me distance and how fast my mile is. I guess I could do the math and what not...
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    I have heard of the program but didn't realize there was an app for it. I'll have to check it out (I'm an app junkie, lol).
  • blazingsun14
    blazingsun14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For 5KM I can jog at around 6.5 mph. If it's longer I'd be a bit slower like 6.0
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    How do you know how fast you are going? My app just gives me distance and how fast my mile is. I guess I could do the math and what not...

Treadmill :)
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pace conversion for those that want to figure out pace to mph http://www.bane.info/
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    0 mph.

You're beating me! :flowerforyou:

I don't jog or run or whatever and admire those of you who even try.

I think you're doing great!
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm about as swift as dial up interwebs :-). With this killer Texan heat, I'm waddling through at 12:30 to 13 minute miles on my 3 mile joggytimes outdoors. It's been forever since I hopped on a dreadmill, but I bet that would be a lot easier! You're doing great! Keep it up RUNNER WOMAN!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Try Runkeeper, Endomondo, Runtastic or MapMyFitness

Personally I prefer Runkeeper and Endomondo and wouldn't recommend the latter two.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K program for two weeks now. I had a knee injury in the spring and I've been trying to avoid another injury so I'm taking the advice I read on here to go WAY slower than you think you can. Also there is the bit where you are supposed to be able to carry on a conversation while running so I slow down for that reason too.

Anyway, I'm doing C25K which is a walk/run thing and my one-mile time is averaging between 17:20 and 18:40. So I guess like 3.3 mph. Yeah, WAY slow. I know for a fact that if I walked the entire thing I'd go faster (go figure) but the jogging slows me down because of the breathing. But I'm doing it and I'm able to complete every workout. I figure my goal right now is just to be able to build up my endurance. I'll work on speed later.
  • speckled_raven
    speckled_raven Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm slow too... about 13 minute mile. But I'm running! ;) Keep it up!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options

average MPH = distance (miles) / time (hours)
    mile pace (minutes) = time (minutes) / distance (hours)
  • melaniespringsteen
    Options
    Hi! I have recently started running as well. Weight issues have affected my knees so I try to keep it steady and at a comfortable pace. I am currently using the Couch to 5k app and I love it. On the treadmill I usually jog at between 4 and 4.3 and walk a tad below 4. As long as you are running, everything else will fall into place :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am slow...slower than a turtle riding a wave of cold molasses slow, but I am determined that one day I will be a runner. So I was just wondering for comparison and goal-setting purposes, what is your typical jogging/running speed? I clocked in at a sad 4 mph this morning.

Somewhere between slow and angry and slow.

It was 23C when I ran this morning, that slowed me down a bit.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am the middle of C25K and I am still pretty slow in order to finish the 20mins plus runs. I was beating my self up pretty bad when someone sent me a pintrest that stated "I run. I am slower then a herd of turtles stomping through peanut butter but I run". Like my friend pointed out to me, I shouldn't beat my self up about my speed and be proud because I am doing something most people will not attempt in their life time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    c25k app is awesome - there are a lot of free ones out there. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs, worked great, and I think you can link it with MFP now.

As for speed - I've never figured out my mph, I run outside, but my apps (Nike+ and Runkeeper) track my stats. I run faster and farther in the cooler seasons, slower and less distance when it's hot, but my average pace is around a 10 minute mile.