I usually just call it shoulder press.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My legs would get sore if I only did squats once a week. I get sore from any exercise that I only do once a week unless I'm also doing something during the other two days of lifting that work those muscles. For example, using the 5x5 approach to lifting, I do front squats one day, back squats two days later and then pause squats two days after that. I never get sore legs from my workouts and my legs only feel "useless" (no running up or down stairs without falling useless) for about an hour after. I don't' even have to resort to foal rolling unless I add in a new exercise as long as I just do the appropriate cool down stretches after my normal workouts. Now if I take a break from lifting/running for a week or more, the return week is going to be all kinds of painful. Maybe you need to work those muscles more than once a week in order to avoid the pain.

Note: This is all anecdotal and may or may not be completely useless for the OP.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Op isnt a beginner any more, change your program.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You blaspheme. They are highly UNDERrated.

get-out-of-here-gif.gif
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can only wish my legs got that sore after a squats. My legs would be a lot further. Are you doing *kitten* to grass?

Squats have other benefits such as testosterone boost, core and lung development. If you are so sore after your squats maybe you need to take break or lighten up your loads for a bit.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you do absolutely no other exercises ever for the rest of your life with the exception of 4, it would be squats, dead lifts, bench press, and overhead press. And believe me, I absolutely loathe bench press and overhead press, but they are awesome compound movements that build a stronger core, stabilizing muscles and synergize well with each other.

*gasp!* How can you loathe the bench press? :noway: BP and DL all the way! (In fairness, I share your loathing of overhead press.)

More seriously, though. I agree with the above. For base strength stuff, you can't really beat those four lifts.

Also, you don't need to kill yourself every week to get the improvements. If you're looking for strength and explosive power, drop the number of reps (4x10, seriously?) and keep the weight heavier. I am, at the moment, only doing weights once a week, and that's exactly what I'm doing and it's working well. A 5x5 based routine, or even a 5/3/1, should be sufficient to keep your power without killing your legs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The Motorskill Method forces you to think through and strategically solve how you want your muscles achieve amazing results or a maintenance result without a constant barbarian at the gate concept of what exercise intensity load and/or frequency should be..

I really want to know about the constant barbarian at the gate concept!!!

that sounds like fun!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is protein consumption. Extra protein can help mitigate some soreness. I would start at a gram per pound of lean body mass, then try 1.25, 1.5 etc. Extra water consumption should go along with the additional protein. I have to overeat on leg day or else I'm too depleted.

Another thing OP could consider is some body weight exercises to help with the basketball, like explosive jumps. I really like some of the routines on Stack.com.

I pretty much agree with the other posters about doing squats and deadlifts on different days. Squats and deadlifts on the same day would really knock me out for a couple of days.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I don't do squats and deadlifts the same day; neither does my husband. For me, I would break up what you are currently doing on leg day. That's a lot of work for one day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Isn't this defeating the purpose of exercise?
    No. You should squat more though. Sounds like volume will aid with recovery.
    Does anyone else experience this from squats?
    Yup
    If so, do you have any suggested alternative exercises?
    Squat more. Walking lunges with a curl bar on your back. Pistol squat rope ascenders. Swimming after your squats to get everything loose, swimming the day after squats to keep everything loose.

Eat your protein.
  • Patrice168
    Patrice168 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drop down the amount of weight you are using. You're doing too much.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Drop down the amount of volume you are using. You're doing too much.
    Keep the weight up and progressively increase.
    I found squatting "heavy" 3x a week was too much. I still squat 3x a week but one day is "heavy", one day light, one day moderate but more volume.
    For the record, I'm 41 and just started squatting in August 2013. Current PR is 240x5.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I really find myself questioning squats, they interfere with my running routine. I did a kettlebell class last week with high intensity squats with weights and I couldn't walk properly for 5 days afterwards, missed all of my running sessions for one high intensity class. Sucks!
  • clover04750
    Options
    I've added squats to my routine ever since I saw "Dance fitness with Jessica"

https://www.facebook.com/Dancefitnesswithjessica?fref=nf

However, I only do anywhere from 20-35 reps depending on what feels comfortable and I practice different kinds of squats, as Jessica demonstrates. I am by no means athletic, but I think you might find her routines helpful for the sake of variety when performing squats.

IMO, using weights during core workouts only seem to improve balance while performing the move. I know that more resistance should mean more calories burned, but it only seems to increase speed and balance for me. In the perspective of balance, using weights while performing squats seems kind of like an aid rather than a resistance. Just saying.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I really find myself questioning squats, they interfere with my running routine. I did a kettlebell class last week with high intensity squats with weights and I couldn't walk properly for 5 days afterwards, missed all of my running sessions for one high intensity class. Sucks!

You can't run and do squats. Those two things do not work together.

Pick one or the other.

False. I squat over 200 lbs and run half marathons. You have to be smart about it though. Long run the day after squats? I'd rather die.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

If you want to play a sport or prioritise something like running, you need to schedule the rest of your progressive resistance around that. That includes sensible volume and intensity and scheduled for maximum recovery.

But yeah, busting out an unplanned high rep squat workout will interfere with your other training goals!