What is your jogging speed?

Options

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am slow...slower than a turtle riding a wave of cold molasses slow, but I am determined that one day I will be a runner. So I was just wondering for comparison and goal-setting purposes, what is your typical jogging/running speed? I clocked in at a sad 4 mph this morning.

That's not sad! My best time is a 5K at 11 and a half minutes per mile. Usually I run a leisurely 13 and a half minute mile. You'll get better.
  • dancinqueen91
    dancinqueen91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I run outside but most of my runs are run/walk format. I'll stop at traffic lights and take short walking breaks so I am not running the whole time. I use Endomondo and hit pause when I'm completely stopped but let it count when I am either running or walking. My average pace usually is right around 10 minutes/mile (6mph) but I have slowed down a little with this heat!

I still don't consider myself fast by any means but I have increased my speed a little by incorporating strength training and building my leg muscles :)
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years now. I started with the C25k program and now have a few half marathons under my belt. I would not be concerned about your slow pace right now. You will naturally get faster and your distance will get farther as your body adapts. Good luck with running and add me if you'd like support.

My steady run pace is between 9:30-9:45
    My tempo run pace is between 8:58-9:17
    My slow, long run pace is between 10-10:45mm
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am a super slow runner. For 5 - 6 miles, I get about 5 miles per hour. For shorter runs of less than 30 minutes, I can haul butt at a slow 6 miles per hour. For short sprints, I have gone as high as 9 miles per hour on a treadmill for no more than a couple of minutes.

My knees are starting to get a lot of aching after runs, so I've pretty much cut out everything but steady running, or short intervals with recovery days in between.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    About a 13 min mile =/
  • shotgunman006
    Options
    I tend to average 10/min miles (6mph). I train to run long distances like ultramarathons so speed isn't really a concern but it is something you have to practice by actually trying to jog faster. Running technique helps because when you run slow your form and mechanics tend to be worse but when you sprint your body will automatically move like it should.
  • shotgunman006
    Options
    I am a super slow runner. For 5 - 6 miles, I get about 5 miles per hour. For shorter runs of less than 30 minutes, I can haul butt at a slow 6 miles per hour. For short sprints, I have gone as high as 9 miles per hour on a treadmill for no more than a couple of minutes.

My knees are starting to get a lot of aching after runs, so I've pretty much cut out everything but steady running, or short intervals with recovery days in between.

When I started back running on asphalt i had some knee problems. And my knees would ache and one would hurt quite a bit. It may have been a combination of the crown of the roads where i live (the roads slope off to each side so one leg is always extended father than the other) which caused knee pain on the outside of my knee. Doing stretches for the illotibial band helped. Also switching to neutral shoes (I love Nike Free 3.0 and 5.0 shoes). It wasn't long after that I went from severe knee pain where I had to where a knee brace to hobble thru 14 miles to running 22 miles with no pain or soreness.

Like Dean Karnazes would say "Just Keep Running"

Also like the Dr.Who Ticker you have.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Slower than the rate at which ice flows but by damn it, I run (for a minute and a half at a time).
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have heard of the program but didn't realize there was an app for it. I'll have to check it out (I'm an app junkie, lol).

The app is fantastic. It tells you when to start and stop running so no stop watch required. I'd recommend getting off the treadmill. It's a great tool when you have no other options, but you'll be stronger if you are forced to push yourself forward instead of having a belt do it for you.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have heard of the program but didn't realize there was an app for it. I'll have to check it out (I'm an app junkie, lol).

The app is fantastic. It tells you when to start and stop running so no stop watch required. I'd recommend getting off the treadmill. It's a great tool when you have no other options, but you'll be stronger if you are forced to push yourself forward instead of having a belt do it for you.

I do get outside and walk as well, but considering we just dropped $1,000+ on our treadmill I can't not use it, lol
  • krishildy
    krishildy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked! I also feel like I'm slow too. Here are my stats.

I started walking/jogging exactly 8 weeks ago. I jog every other day.

I am 43 years old, haven't really exercised before starting jogging, and currently weigh 210. With that said, I jog exactly 4 miles in an hour and 5 minutes. That comes out to about 16:15 per mile.

For all that running, I've only lost 6 lbs.

I think our endurance, our age, our physical shape (weight-wise), and our health all play a factor in how we do.

As long as you don't give up, you're a winner! Keep it up!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you'll be a real runner when you start measuring your speed by minute/mile, not by mph.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm slow. I've began running again since March. I ran a lot in 2010 ( but mostly 3-4 miles, nothing too long distance ), but went away to school and quit running. In the last 3 and a half months I went from only being able to jog 3 miles at 13 minutes/mile to being able to do 10-11 minutes/mile. Sometimes I'm slow and do 12 minutes, but mainly I'm around 10-something minutes or so. I clock in just under 6 mph. I keep my running steady because I do long distances. Tomorrow I'm aiming for 14 miles. Last week I did my first 13.2 mile run. Running "slow" is better than not running at all. Not everyone is a sprinter.

keep up the good work, though!! Your speed will get better and you will be able to do distances!!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm using a C25K app and my pace has been around 4.5-5 mph. If you're supposed to be able to talk while running, then I need to slow down.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You will run faster if you're running from the cops.

Just sayin'.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest not running on a treadmill - running is like one of the greatest things you can do - its time totally focused on yourself. You should pick a trail you enjoy or a explore new parts of the city. I make it a meditative experience.

Today I jogged 4.83 Mi - 58:10 duration 12:03 min/mi - it can be slow - just worry about enjoying time with yourself.
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm using c25k and love it. I started put trying to run too fast and found myself dreading the run. Since I've slowed down i look forward to it. I'm very slow but consistent and hope to increase my speed with time.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm not running yet, but I used to be a big walker (4-6 miles a night). Since I no longer have sidewalks and I can't spare that kind of time, running (slowly) appears to be the only way to get my butt into shape. I don't want to kill off the little running I'm doing by overdoing it. Therefore, I run until it hurts and then walk fast. I know if I go too nuts, I'll hurt too much the next day, and I'll quit. So, I am becoming one with the turtle.

Current walk/run pace is 13 minutes per mile. I run at night so no one can see my shocking running outfit (hey, it's a humid 74 out there!). :tongue: That being said, I had a dream about running this morning, so ... we'll see. If I work my way up to a solid 12-minute run (no walking), I'll buy myself a new shocking outfit. :noway:

Oh, I forgot to add... I wouldn't be doing any of this without RunKeeper. I find the little 5 minute bleeps and goal-setting very motivational. Thanks, Mr. Robot!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I know of folks who literally jog at about 3 mph... Not sure how they do it but they do... I jog between 5 and 6 mph ... I can get up to 7 mph for short distances... I did run 1 mile at 6 mph the other day....

I say that for comparison purposes but in the end it is all about you.. make personal improvements and compete with yourself on a day to day basis... You are the only person you have to compete with...

For the most part, as far as the caloric burn is concerned, what matters most is not the speed but the distance... Essentially, you will burn approximately the same amount of energy if you run a 15 minute mile or a 12 minute mile... The difference is how long it takes you to get there.

Best wishes.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You will run faster if you're running from the cops.

Just sayin'.

Or a bear...