Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in 5 months?

Replies

• nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    I am 5 6 1/2 inches and just finished a 12 week weight loss challenge at work. I lost 20 lbs in that 12 weeks and when I started out I was at 153.8 so I was at the top of my normal bmi range. It takes a lot more dedication when you hit this range but in 5 months it can be done. Just make sure you follow your calories and get in your cardio. I think you should be able to do it as long as you follow and don't binge on the other 2 days or you will undo all of your hard work and not make it. Good luck!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    My hardest struggle is binge though i think if i keep logging on MFP & keep talking on the boards ill beo k!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Doing it 7 days a week will make is more possible.

20 pounds/5 month is less than 1 pound a month. This needs a 500 calories deficit, and this means that you can eat the calories burned while exercising. That's a lot of calories, if you are not really small, you can eat 1600-1700 calories a day + whatever you exercise, and still lose. So it isn't that hard to keep it 7 days a week. Or you can eat 1500 calories per weekday and what you exercise and eat more in the weekends.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    To be honest, I am just happy seeing someone put up a reasonable goal. 20 pounds in a month, 30 pounds in 2 ect seem to be the norm a lot of times with posts. Im sure you will succeed and like others have said if you do it seven days a week you're much better off. I am guilty of trying to have "free" weekends and all it did was stall my losses greatly.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    I am going on Vacation in about 5 months.. is it possible to lose 20lbs in that amount of time.. Dieting/Exercising 5 days a week..?

Taking off 2 days a week from exercising is ok. Not tracking your food 2 days a week might keep you at the same weight you are now, however. Make sure you log carefully everyday.
  • kberkley78
    kberkley78 Posts: 8 Member
    Just forget I said it.
  • kberkley78
    Forget it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Binge eating is ok if the binge is in moderation and is with HEALTHY snacks, like veggies. But, like they always say, too much of a good thing is not good. If you eat the right type of calories (i.e., low carb, moderate protein and fat) you will feel more satisfied and be less likely to binge.

That makes no sense, how is it a binge if you can control it?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Binge eating is ok if the binge is in moderation and is with HEALTHY snacks, like veggies. But, like they always say, too much of a good thing is not good. If you eat the right type of calories (i.e., low carb, moderate protein and fat) you will feel more satisfied and be less likely to binge.

Whut? This doesn't compute.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    I lost 25 in three months the first time I did P90X
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member

That makes no sense, how is it a binge if you can control it?

Right!? Oh and don't forget, they have to be the RIGHT TYPE of calories. lolz
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Im 5'8, 156. Lost 13 lbs in 3 months so its safe to say 2 more months I could lose 7 more lbs for a total of 20 lbs lost in 5 months.

Low to no starch
    low carbs
    high protein
    high veggies
    average fruit intake

15-30 Pilaties combo with High Intensity Interval Training everyday

No cheat days (a cheat meal, perhaps), good luck.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Definitely possible, but will take diligence and dedication!

My biggest downfall is not tracking on the weekends. Don't be like me ;-)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    yes but probably not simple. If you want it, work for it! Hard!
  • kberkley78
    There are different types of binge eating. If you have a small "binge" of say, cucumbers, you aren't doing any real damage. All I was say is that what matters is WHAT you are bingeing on. And the right type of calories portion of what I was saying has nothing to do with binge-eating. I was simply saying that your cravings to binge might go down if you eat the right combinations of food. Geesh, had no idea that my statements would be attacked and so misunderstood. These are my opinions. That's all. Maybe this is even being misunderstood. I'll shut up now since apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. :(
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    I understood what you were saying.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    When I first got on MFP, I lost 25 pounds in 5 months, so I'm pretty sure it's possible ;) I didn't diet, cut out whole food groups, or do some weird restrictive thing, because that doesn't work for me. Smarter eating and appropriate portions most of the time, and lots of exercise worked for me. Good luck!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Sounds awesome!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    To be honest, I am just happy seeing someone put up a reasonable goal. 20 pounds in a month, 30 pounds in 2 ect seem to be the norm a lot of times with posts. Im sure you will succeed and like others have said if you do it seven days a week you're much better off. I am guilty of trying to have "free" weekends and all it did was stall my losses greatly.

I'm just so tired of feeling this way & looking like crap i hate having my pictures taken for this reason..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I am going on Vacation in about 5 months.. is it possible to lose 20lbs in that amount of time.. Dieting/Exercising 5 days a week..?

<looks down at stomach> Yup, totally possible. I've gone from 188 to 167 in a little over 4 months myself. Check out my profile pictures, I have dates on them so you can see the change I got over that time frame.

Well...depending on how overweight you are and how much total you have to lose. What is your current weight and what is your goal weight?

Chances are though that is a totally reasonable goal.