so what does thin feel like?

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Someone else probably said it too but Kate moss is famous for that quote (using 'skinny' not 'thin') at a time when it's very likely she was off her face all the time.

Not been thin since I was in my twenties but fit feels great and you don't need to substitute it for lovely food, you can have both :)
  • quigz90
    quigz90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    10250205_641800335869960_4062974383558722312_a.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not thin right now but I have been...it feels like a releif.

Thin feels:

light
    easy
    awake
    alive
    less painful
    less bloaty
    less pinchy
    more eager
    more energetic
    more accepted
    less sullen
    less sad
    less worrisome
    more relaxed
    more confident
    more righteous
    less second guessing
    less wondering
    less tightness
    more livable
    more like the real me
    more everything I'm used to.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me, this one is really motivating, although I don't necessarily take it literally...

I think maybe a more accurate one for me is "Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now"... source anyone??

I'm still going to eat those delicious things, and savor them, and find them JUST as delicious.... but in moderation. Just because when I walk past the cupcake store I REALLY want a cupcake, I can't let that short-term craving get in the way of my long-term goal, which is to lose weight and get healthy!

The quote is from Zig Ziglar and he says, "The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now."

I read that quote on my first day being on MFP and I now have it taped to various places at home and on my desk at work. I have a LONG way to go to thin or fit. This thread has given me a lot of inspiration and I hope it gets bumped often and people keep coming on to tell us how they feel.

I hope to return with my own "how does it feel" response.:bigsmile:
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I remember it feeling like hungry back when I was thin... I mean, it's been since about 1998-1999 or so... but hungry is definitely what I remember.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This might be silly but what does bump mean?

Not sure if anybody answered you, but "bump" is what you put into a reply to bump the thread to the top of a forum list so it doesn't get lost in the hundreds of other threads. This is done particularly if you need an answer to something important.

As for an answer to the OP: I can't quite remember. I used to be. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, and I was skinny as a rail (6ft tall, 135lbs). That was a loooooooooong time ago....I think I remember that I was kinda sexy. At least construction workers used to hoot at me, so that was something.

I think.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it 'feels' the same, having been both pudgy and very very thin. I would still look at myself in the mirror and either love what I saw or I hated it. Same problem areas, same way I looked in clothes, everything. The only difference in 'feel' would be things like sitting in a hard chair. Thin, I would notice it. 15 lbs overweight, not so much. Thin, I was often cold. 15 lbs over, not cold. Very very thin I was embarrassed to be seen in a swim suit, and 15 lbs over, I fit right in. It's kind of a weird thing actually.
  • klsynosch
    klsynosch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my best moments are my "i feel skinny" moments.. so i agree with the quote! nothing is worth eating compared to that feeling! and im not even at my goal!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    people type bump so they can read it later.

Thin feels like getting my life back, a great feeling..
  • InsanityxthexGit
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is a quote used by people who follow the thinspiration movement. The movement is often linked with eating disorders such as anorexia.

"Skinny" doesn't mean anything if you aren't healthy. You can be skinny and feel much, much worse than if you are overweight.

You should aim to be fit and healthy, not skinny.
  • sazar001
    sazar001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's what HEALTHY (I don't like using the word "thin") feels like:

1. Taking a physical at 45 years old and being told by your doctor that your blood pressure, cholesterol, and the rest of your numbers look great.
    [etc]

This is very helpful. thanks :smile:

9883159.png
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That phrase is inherently flawed. It is suggesting that you can't be fit and thin without completely cutting out the things you love, or even having a taste.

I shall now share with you a by-no-means all-inclusive list of foods I have eaten and heartily enjoyed, all whilst on my road to being the fittest MILF I can carve out of myself:

Pizza. Lots, and lots of pizza.
    Ice cream
    Cookies. All sorts. Many cookies.
    Chicken alfredo
    Taco Bell
    Burritos
    Cake
    Tacos
    Whataburger
    In'N'Out
    Lasagna
    Waffles
    Pancakes
    Cheese. Plain, melted, mixed in things, smothering things, lots of cheese.
    Pasta
    Chocolate bars
    Candy. All kinds.
    Doughnuts.

I could keep going, but I'll assume you get the point.

The idea is that you can have whatever you want, as long as your nutritional goals are being met, and you are staying under a reasonable calorie goal. (1200 is NOT "reasonable" for 99% of the people here).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Feeling more like a gazelle & less like a hippo. Although hippos CAN run pretty fast when they have to. Just not for long. :happy:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It feels rad, so much better than the feeling of that extra ring of fat around your gut.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Approaching this thread from a different angle:

People treat you differently when you are thin. Doctors are less condescending. Complete strangers have a better initial opinion of you. I know this first hand from being thin and being fat at different times in my life. If you are trying to get something done like returning an item where you need a receipt and you don't have one, or explaining to the bank clerk why you don't have your second form of ID but they should process your transaction anyway. your chances are much better if you are thin.

So from this perspective being thin feels really good but my main feeling is how unfair this is.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Powerful and confident.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That quote is dead wrong. Take it from a former anorexic. I was skinny and I was miserable! It should be something more like "Nothing feels as good as being healthy and balanced does." I'm no longer shooting for "skinny" - I'm shooting for "strong, healthy and making good choices." Which means that as long as I choose healthy foods and working out more often than I choose sweets and a nap, THAT is what's important. Thin can be lonely and exhausting and obsessive and hangry and unsatisfied and frustrated. But healthy is happy and grateful and energetic and free :)
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This is a really old thread.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thin for me has opened up a world of confidence.
    Without even realizing, I just kinda gave up, on my clothes. my hair, my jewelry...just didn't care anymore.
    Trying on clothes that no longer fit years ago and now they do ? Wow ! Amazing feeling. Can't describe.
    In the process of growing out a short, boring hairstyle to more of a longer Bob.
    Losing weight, new hairstyle.
    It feels as though I have turned back the clock almost a decade.
    Big huge sigh. And then a big smile.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It feels confident, disciplined, and like you can take on the world. (I think this is probably more true for people who have worked to lose weight than those who come by thinness naturally because we have the added pride in our hard work and accomplishment.) Just today, as I walked into a grocery store, there was an overweight woman also walking in. For some reason, she made me think about the trade-off. I thought about how she probably has a much different and in some ways more enjoyable lifestyle than me; but I smiled inside, pleased with myself for my commitment to health, and specifically thinking how I would much rather have my current lifestyle even if it means I'm not so carefree. So I guess I was actually feeling how "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" without putting that phrase on it at the time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!