so what does thin feel like?

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Thin is perspective, even thin people do not realize they are thin. I think being healthy and happy with you are is more important. I have weighed 115 (15lbs less than I am now) and was not happy. Now I am more accepting of my body, and realize perhaps being skinny is less important than being in shape and healthy for my family (both mentally and physically). I will say in my current state of mind nothing tastes as good as being happy, and sometimes happy requires tasting something bad for me and I am fine with that.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    It's actually very normal, it doesn't taste good. I used to thin but I never thought about my body at all. It just is. I like to have a fit and tone body.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    the same as when i was fat. But then I didn't realise I was thin until I put some of the weight back on.

IT is learning to change the mental issues of being overweight.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Approaching this thread from a different angle:

People treat you differently when you are thin. Doctors are less condescending. Complete strangers have a better initial opinion of you. I know this first hand from being thin and being fat at different times in my life. If you are trying to get something done like returning an item where you need a receipt and you don't have one, or explaining to the bank clerk why you don't have your second form of ID but they should process your transaction anyway. your chances are much better if you are thin.

So from this perspective being thin feels really good but my main feeling is how unfair this is.

Unless you are too thin and then you get abuse from people for being anorexic. Half my family were so thin and hated it. It doesn't matter what size you are, you will get abuse from being outwith the "norm"
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I went from 89kgs to my current 60kgs. I'm 5'7 btw

To me, it's bitter sweet.

When I was at 89kgs I was told about how big I was and criticized for eating bad food then.

Now I get told I'm too skinny and look horrible and boney and if I do have bad food like KFC people comment and say be careful if you eat that.

But the confidence I have now within myself now is amazing I don't care what people say I know I'm better off and of course the new clothes is awesome.

Good Luck with your journey.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tastes like chicken...
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Incredible confidence :) All my friends comment on how much more confident and carefree I seem. When I was very overweight I was always body conscious and would definitely think twice about dancing and doing crazy fun things XD
    + I agree with the shoe size thing, my feet are teeny weeny now XD I went down a whole size
    Being able to try on all sorts of clothes that aren't black or hoodies to hide myself, is an awesome feeling XD
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Now I get told I'm too skinny and look horrible and boney and if I do have bad food like KFC people comment and say be careful if you eat that.

This drives me nuts too >.< Whenever I eat anything that looks remotely fattening (EVEN AVOCADO) My dad mockingly gasps and goes 'THAT'S FATTENING, be careful :O '' and I'm just like ffs ¬_¬
  • rwendland10
    rwendland10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Still not "thin" but the other weekend I loaded up a book bag with 50 lbs to see what 225 feels like (240 was my heaviest)...made quite an impression on me
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I can name a plethora of things that taste much better than thin. But that's okay because I never aimed to be "thin". Fit and healthy is the life for me. Eating whatever I want within my macro/micro goals...mmmm ice cream tastes better than skinny. Cake...cookies...
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    I've never been 'thin', but I imagine it feels pretty damned good!
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I understand but don't like the specific quote very much so I changed it to "Nothing tastes as good as being HEALTHY feels"
    I don't think anyone should have the goal of being "thin" -- but instead should have the goal of being healthy... but to each their own.
    For me, being HEALTHY (which yes includes being a hell of a lot "thinner" than I used to be) means that I am free to focus on OTHER things in life that make me happy, besides food. I am free to move, run, dance - whatever I want without ANY limits. I am free to smile, talk, and laugh without feeling like I am being judged for being "fat"
    Being healthy feels like I've been given a FRESH start, a clean slate :)

Exactly!!
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    for me thin feels like freedom because I'm able to wear a wider variety of clothes. I can always tell I'm gaining weight when I see that pile of outfits on the bed that didn't work. Thin also feels like I'm being good to myself (I run a lot) by giving my legs and joints less weight to carry.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not thin. But I am at the lightest weight I have been since I was 13-14 and I am 37. So for me being the thinnest I've ever been as an adult feels pretty good. I feel like being as large as I was 128 lb ago felt "normal" and now I take up less space, can fit into everything (booths, rides, seats, bath tubs in hotel rooms) with extra room to spare. People push right in front of me instead of standing back to let the obese lady through. Random strangers & store/restaurant employees touch me all of the time when they're serving me food or showing me something (didn't happen much before). I can sit on the couch with my knees up under my chin. Sit with my legs crossed like a "lady" for several hours and feel comfortable - never did that before as I was a tomboyish middle schooler and then I was always well over 200 lb. It is totally weird. But good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Approaching this thread from a different angle:

People treat you differently when you are thin. Doctors are less condescending. Complete strangers have a better initial opinion of you. I know this first hand from being thin and being fat at different times in my life. If you are trying to get something done like returning an item where you need a receipt and you don't have one, or explaining to the bank clerk why you don't have your second form of ID but they should process your transaction anyway. your chances are much better if you are thin.

So from this perspective being thin feels really good but my main feeling is how unfair this is.

I agree that's unfair and pretty awful.

In some cases I have actually found the OPPOSITE to be true for me, though! I think a lot of women especially in their 20s-40s showed me pity kindness in stores (situations like you describe), the bank, or even in the workplace. I find that many of them seem to view me more as a competitor now and are generally not quite as nice. I am sure part of it is that my own attitude, while still very friendly and polite, I don't have the same apologetic air as I once had in my dealings with others.

I do agree though...like the doctor thing, and complete strangers generally approving of my existence. My mom is in her 60's and recently had a knee replacement surgery. She is an average weight (about 10-15 lb overweight) and was treated SO WELL by everyone in the hospital meanwhile I have seen obese seniors treated horribly in the same situation & lectured at every turn!

I've experienced a lot of things on that side, too. Like I mentioned earlier, being touched so much by strangers is new and odd for me. It never happened before except with people I actually knew, and now it seems like I go into a store and sales girls will walk up and as they're talking touch my arm, shoulder, or even the dress I am wearing and say it's cute. SO weird to me especially now that it happens a lot, and wasn't 1-2 isolated incidents.
  • nj303
    nj303 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Many of us have been self conscious for years, thinking everyone is looking at us, and and secretly mocking us, for being weak because we have a beer belly or are just plain fat. Probably not true but that's what you are thinking.

Once your goal is reached, you feel proud and gain self confidence. You start noticing others around you and how fat they are.

It feels good to have switched places and becoming "thin" or at least normal when in a public gathering.

Neal ju.
  • vkaraca
    vkaraca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To JustCat206 ... I second that. I've been thin from just not eating and all I felt was empty. Now I'm exercising, eating healthy and feeling strong. Medium thin and strong feels so much better than skinny and empty!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    This is a really old thread.

Where do these ancient threads keep coming from? Who is going back 3+ years in the forums?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    A little chilly and sometimes a bit bony, depending on the mattress or chair in use.

But on the bright side, I can dash across the mall parking lot lickity split when it starts storming. Everyone who looks at me like I'm crazy is just jealous.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!