thoughts on the 500cal diet

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Had I been a man, this conversation would have played out very differently, and I certainly wouldn't have been called anorexic or a crazy b*tch. You do the math.

Makes no difference what gender you are, you would have been called out for engaging in unhealthy behaviour and potentially encouraging others to do the same, especially as there are a number here who are actively trying to recover from their EDs. What you are doing is disordered regardless of how you try to paint it, and I speak as someone with decades of personal experience in eating disordered behaviours. I can spot it 100 miles away. But you keep on deluding yourself that you are being sensible and healthy about it all, And maybe leave this thread to get back to the original poster's question.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm not here to teach you how deeply ingrained misogyny influenced your behaviors on this forum today, and I'm sure you'll never figure it out, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Bye!
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Idc that this has turned into a feminism argument but I'm just going to refer to the 'starvation mode' myth.

What actually happens is that after a period of not eating enough food, when you return to 'normal' eating, you actually eat an unhealthy amount of food in the other direction. You eat too much food and you keep eating like that and you get fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything, so, shut up. Women can be misogynists too...just sayin'
    Hey kid, when you point your finger at other people, there are three more fingers pointing back at you. :wink:

Netting 500 calories is unhealthy disordered eating Just because you went to grad school does not mean you are immune to eating disorders.

Nowhere in any response so I see any prejudice of man, woman, or cats against you. Misogynist is all in the perception.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm not here to teach you how deeply ingrained misogyny influenced your behaviors on this forum today, and I'm sure you'll never figure it out, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Hahahaha yea you're just so much more enlightened than the rest of us about feminism. You are absolutely the reason that feminism gets a bad name when you go around calling people misogynists for disagreeing with you. If you truly are a feminist you're hurting your cause...
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am going to ask a question without getting into the feminism argument:

What type of exercise are you doing? I am curious.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    The issue isn't disordered eating, it's making up for the calories I lose because of the exorcise I do. Maybe you should reread my post...or not.
    With all due respect, eating 544 calories a day IS disordered eating. I suggest you see a professional to deal with this.
    She's netting it. Meaning she's eating a 1000 cals and doing a bunch of cardio that ends up making it that low.
    I understood that, but even net 500 calories is not good.

And as others have said before, over-exercising (or in her case, over-exorcising) is often a form of purging, suggesting she may be struggling with disordered eating. The fact that she's being so stubborn about this only reinforces this little theory of ours... Hoping she gets help soon!!
    Yep. A person has to eat enough to support their workout.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Misogyny means hatred of women and their bodies. How is discouraging a woman from doing something that is going to hurt her body misogynistic? What motivation do you have for eating very few calories and exercising most of them away? I've got a master's and taken a few courses in feminist theory, too. Feminists love and respect their bodies; they don't try to damage them. For whom do you need to lose these few pounds so quickly that you have to use extreme methods? Yourself? Society? Think about why you are making these eating and exercise choices. Is there some way you can do this that is kinder to your body and your self?
  • PrincessPeach30
    PrincessPeach30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The only way I'd say "do it" is if you're prepared to feel weak and tired the whole way through. If you NEED to lose weight for whatever reason in a week, then go for it but it's definitely not a long term solution.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not worth it...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Had I been a man, this conversation would have played out very differently, and I certainly wouldn't have been called anorexic or a crazy b*tch. You do the math.

I'm not sure what maths I am meant to be doing?

But I dont think this would have gone any differently if you were a man- the term' crazy b*tch may not have been used but the anorexia would - men can be anorexic too, you know.

Netting 500 calories per day is not healthy and people would have called you out on that, regardless of who you were.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    The only way I'd say "do it" is if you're prepared to feel weak and tired the whole way through. If you NEED to lose weight for whatever reason in a week, then go for it but it's definitely not a long term solution.
    No, not even for a week.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    misogyny might be better represented in the obsession with minimizing a womans body....

not in telling a woman not to starve themselves.

when you get defensive and start calling people sexist it makes people more inclined to be meaner about what they are saying. but what they are saying is. dont kill yourself just to look cute and tiny.

that is a loving gesture not a hateful one. even if people dont always know how to say it.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    500 seems like hell. That's like "here, eat a piece of toast for the day and pretend that it didn't make you hungrier. " **** that I'd rather just fast, at least its upfront about being nutritionally void, miserable and a waste of time.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Hahahaha yea you're just so much more enlightened than the rest of us about feminism. You are absolutely the reason that feminism gets a bad name when you go around calling people misogynists for disagreeing with you. If you truly are a feminist you're hurting your cause...

^So much this, this is why I don't like to even mention being a feminist, because of the people with these ridiculous points of view :|
    I was so thrown when I saw her mention of misogyny I had to read back and still couldn't see what she was on about. All I saw was people trying to provide information, and if it were a guy eating 500 net calories a day, he'd be hearing the same thing. Y'know, being treated like a person just as she has been. It's the fact she's consistently being so defensive that people are getting frustrated with her, not because of her gender. :noway:

/sigh
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Anorexia athletica is a sometimes inadvertent disorder that uses exercise as a form of purging calories. Regardless of "nutrition", your organs need more than 500 calories/day to function properly. Without adequate energy, your body will start using muscle tissue for fuel. +1 for equality - biologically we ALL need to eat in order to remain alive. Over time, it will become clear that netting 500 calories/day is not enough to maintain a healthy life.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Cannot fathom eating below 2500.
    500? No way. You're energy will be shot and will likely lead to uncontrollable binges. Sounds like hell.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    When younger, for many years I would consume under 500, under 400, or under 300 calories per day when dieting. Now I diet on under 700, because that little bit of extra calories means I don't get lightheaded, weak, shaky. I have always been very sedentary. And I only diet for a few weeks. I don't consider this to be the best way to diet for everyone. I don't exercise. It works just fine for me.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

^So much this, this is why I don't like to even mention being a feminist, because of the people with these ridiculous points of view :|
    I was so thrown when I saw her mention of misogyny I had to read back and still couldn't see what she was on about. All I saw was people trying to provide information, and if it were a guy eating 500 net calories a day, he'd be hearing the same thing. Y'know, being treated like a person just as she has been. It's the fact she's consistently being so defensive that people are getting frustrated with her, not because of her gender. :noway:

/sigh

Seriously.

We're just living our lives, trying to obtain gender equality through rational, reasonable alterations of gender stereotypes and perceptions, and then the straw feminists just have to stick their oars in and make us all look like frothing crazies.
This discussion has been closed.