thoughts on the 500cal diet

Options

Replies

• ah1141
    ah1141 Posts: 37
    Options
    Lol AJ! I read and took your advice seriously, but I AM meeting my nutritional needs! It's just that I exercise too much or something.
  • ah1141
    Options
    The issue isn't disordered eating, it's making up for the calories I lose because of the exorcise I do. Maybe you should reread my post...or not.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Lol AJ! I read and took your advice seriously, but I AM meeting my nutritional needs! It's just that I exercise too much or something.

Then why are you asking for more advice? It seems you are trying to find ways to justify not eating enough.

It's simple. You exercise a lot, you have to eat more. If you exercise less, than you don't have to worry about eating as much. Meet your calorie net goal. Having too big a calorie deficit can hurt you in the long run. And basically everything he told you in that thread.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Screw 500 calories a day. Been there and not fun. If you put the best calories in the tank, you won't need to worry about the quantities. So carb up on fruit, veg, and wholefoods. Cheers :drinker:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this diet, doesn't sound healthy but is it a quick weight loss if you do it for a week?

Not sure what food you'll be able to have since it's so low calorie.

My thoughts on a 500 calorie diet?

"I need more food."
    "Please let me eat."
    "I am starving."
    "I hate this."
    "If you don't give me that pizza, I will rip your face off and eat it."
  • ah1141
    Options
    So I guess the issue comes down to calories and not actual nutrition. I have loads of energy and a sped up metabolism because of the meds I have to take so....I'll consume more calories, but to be honest, I don't think it's imperative for my health as I'm already meeting and often exceeding the nutritional requirements set by MFA.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    500 cals a day makes me think of: low energy, being miserable/cranky/generally sour to the people around me, and gaining back twice the weight as soon as that week is over. Are the (approx) 3-5lbs really worth it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So I guess the issue comes down to calories and not actual nutrition. I have loads of energy and a sped up metabolism because of the meds I have to take so....I'll consume more calories, but to be honest, I don't think it's imperative for my health as I'm already meeting and often exceeding the nutritional requirements set by MFA.

You just rock on with your pro-ana self....

200_s.gif
  • ah1141
    Options
    I ate nearly 1000 calories today, but thanks for being a huge misogynist and accusing me of being pro ana. Your opinion is obviously really important to me.
  • blatantlyo
    blatantlyo Posts: 30
    Options
    I think it's important for you to set long-term goals and habits. When you eat that little, you are risking starvation mode, and you are making yourself hungry. So, when you stop eating 500 calories a day, you are extremely more likely to over eat and binge. You will gain all of the weight back AND more, setting yourself back for weeks. I know, I've been there, and it's depressing to see the scale drop down 2 pounds everyday, because you're barely eating, and then when you start eating only 1,200 calories, your weight skyrockets.

Please use a tool to find out how many calories you need to lose weight each week, and let it gradually fall off. Don't expect to wake up 10 pounds lighter everyday. It's called a weightloss "journey" for a reason
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

You're confusing micronutrients with nutrition. Nutrition is a macro term, it includes calorie intake, macronutrients, micronutrients, and fiber. Just because you are hitting micronutrient goals every day DOES NOT mean your nutritional needs are being met, as I explained earlier. I honestly don't even understand why you're doing cardio when you can't even eat enough to meet calorie needs without it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You're confusing micronutrients with nutrition. Nutrition is a macro term, it includes calorie intake, macronutrients, micronutrients, and fiber. Just because you are hitting micronutrient goals every day DOES NOT mean your nutritional needs are being met, as I explained earlier. I honestly don't even understand why you're doing cardio when you can't even eat enough to meet calorie needs without it.

Agreed. There is an actual disorder (anorexia athletica or exorcise anorexia) in where people basically use exercise to net low even while they are barely (if even) meeting 1200 calorie intake.

It's simple, as I said. Either figure a way to eat more (whether quantity or focus on calorie dense foods) or exercise less.

If this is something "you can't do" then it might be a problem and talking to a counselor or therapist wouldn't hurt.
  • ah1141
    Options
    Why do you assume I'm not getting enough fiber? I eat three meals a day, take fiber pills and a whole other host of vitamins and minerals in addition to the SUPER nutritious, low calorie foods I eat.
  • ah1141
    Options
    I could do without the accusations of anorexia, thanks. On most days, if I wasn't exorcising, I'd be meeting the 1200 calorie mark.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

If that were the case, why not eat nothing, and just take a multivitamin? The human body needs food. I'm at 1200 a day, eating back workout calories, and I still have to consciously aim to meet my protein macros, for instance. I don't see how anyone can get the right amount of carbs, protein, and fat on 500 calories a day. A pie chart is just showing that the percentages of what you are eating correct, not that you're eating enough of any those things. If I ate 100 calories, with 50% from carbs, 30 from protein, and 20 from fat, my pie chart would still look "great." Maybe all I should eat all day is one protein bar that has the "Right" percentages. Do you see where this kind of thinking can go?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume I'm not getting enough fiber? I eat three meals a day, take fiber pills and a whole other host of vitamins and minerals in addition to the SUPER nutritious, low calorie foods I eat.

When did I say you weren't getting enough fiber? All I said was fiber is a component of the big picture that is nutrition.
  • ah1141
    Options
    You implied it like you're implying I don't eat right and am not nourished. You're wrong. The issue isn't the calories, it's the exorcise! And I already said I'd eat more to make up for what I lost because of my exorcise, but I'm still not convinced its necessary.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I ate nearly 1000 calories today, but thanks for being a huge misogynist and accusing me of being pro ana. Your opinion is obviously really important to me.

Although I don't agree with the name-calling, I'm wondering how it makes him a misogynist??
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You implied it like you're implying I don't eat right and am not nourished. You're wrong. The issue isn't the calories, it's the exorcise! And I already said I'd eat more to make up for what I lost because of my exorcise, but I'm still not convinced its necessary.

Also, there's quite a simple solution to this: stop exercising so much.
This discussion has been closed.