Pushy Spelling/Grammar People

Options
SwashBlogger
SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
Does it tick you off when someone corrects your spelling and or structure in an online forum? Or, do you EVER see it as helpful? What do you think motivates a "grammar police"?
I don't even get the urge when the entire post is barely English. But, occasionally, an otherwise intelligent and well-stated post makes me wonder if the writer would like to have the error pointed out. I know I would.

Replies

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I won't correct another person on their post if I don't know them personally even on a well written post. Most of the time if the post is that intelligent and well thought out - they will read their post again and edit it before anyone ever gets to it.

My sister-in-law loves to send me text messages with things like: How r u doin 2daz? Cuz I wuz going to b lik by ur house in a few and didn't want no dogs coming out and barking over their. :angry: :grumble: :explode: She does it just to make me cringe...LoL

Yes, I am a grammar freak. I admit it (isn't that the first step). :wink:
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    if you use than instead of then, were instead we're and your instead of you're you deserve to be corrected no matter how well written the post is and no matter who you are

text speak is ok between people and is cool to cut down the amount of typing/swiping and everything you have written whilst not correctly spelled does appear to be correct word usage except for "their" when they meant "there" for which they should be corrected.

Language has to change and evolve over time and does need to keep up with the times and its usage, so writing things in text speak is acceptable from this view, but again this doesn't mean that you can use the wrong word just because of the way you speak, things like the above (than/then etc) aren't really acceptable within this evolution, saying UR/ur instead of your when wanting to say your correctly whilst infuriating to some is acceptable.

Hope that makes sense
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I bugs me when people correct my spelling or grammar. I am a good speller and I know how to write. However, my iphone keys are very close together and sometimes mistakes happen. If i noticed, I would have corrected it myself, I dont need it pointed out. Likewise, when I am reading a post, if I can read it and understand it, then there is no need to correct it. So what if someone confuses their/there/they're - it doesnt affect me or my happiness so why bother??!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I bugs me when people correct my spelling or grammar. I am a good speller and I know how to write. However, my iphone keys are very close together and sometimes mistakes happen. If i noticed, I would have corrected it myself, I dont need it pointed out. Likewise, when I am reading a post, if I can read it and understand it, then there is no need to correct it. So what if someone confuses their/there/they're - it doesnt affect me or my happiness so why bother??!
    twitch.gif

In all seriousness, I personally don't mind being corrected, but I don't point out the mistakes other people make. Too many people are too sensitive to any form of criticism nowadays, and it's all too easy for someone to misinterpret a correction as a personal affront.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Rightly or wrongly, I am a sticker for spelling and grammar even though I rarely point it out.

I tend to ignore obvious typo errors (we all get caught out on that one from time to time) but I am not a fan of text speak. I agree with the above poster that language needs to evolve but a lot of people use that reasoning to mask laziness. A bugbear of mine is people inserting “lol” into sentences that clearly don’t need it.

Although to be fair, I post on other messageboards and the standard of spelling and grammar are far better on here than others.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't correct people online, but I can never work out how - apart from typos - it is easier to have two different ways of typing (for when you need to be correct and for when you're being casual). Why don't people just type correctly all the time? Surely it is a habit?

I have to say, bad grammar, spelling, lack of capitals and sentence structure etc. will make me not bother responding to a post. I won't call them out, but I won't engage.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    An obvious typo is OK, everyone makes mistakes. But if you clearly do not know the correct spelling or usage of a word I will correct to educate. On forums, at work in memos and emails, if I see it in print, etc.

Text and IM are exceptions. In IM at work we are generally typing so fast to solve a critical problem quickly that the only thing that matters is that the other person understood what you meant, as every other word is usually a typo.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I am a good speller and I know how to write.
    is this Irony? ;-)
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bad spelling and/or bad grammar in a post makes me stop reading. A line or two is fine, but if you're going to post on a public forum make sure it's readable by those who are not native English speakers! I hate to see bad use of the language by native English speakers, what were they even taught at school? I'll only accept text speak in a text message or instant messenger, otherwise use the real words, we all have predictive text on our phones and tablets. Rant over.

Answering your question: no I don't correct people, I just leave. However, I wouldn't mind if someone corrected my post if it was wrong.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    twitch.gif

In all seriousness, I personally don't mind being corrected, but I don't point out the mistakes other people make. Too many people are too sensitive to any form of criticism nowadays, and it's all too easy for someone to misinterpret a correction as a personal affront.

I absolutely take it personally when I have written something that is important to me. I do it on FB, something bothers me enough to write a status update about. Its important to me and I want to get my point across. I post and wait for responses only for a response to come back with
    *their
  • BelliDancer
    BelliDancer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Amen, brother. Than/then is my pet hate and so many people seem to get it wrong, it boggles my mind. The other one, especially on MFP, that drives me up the wall is the number of people who want to "loose" weight. I even thought, jokingly, of starting a group for people who know how to spell "lose". I don't bother to point it out though, because I would spend all day just pissing people off. That's a losing (not loosing) battle. Sigh.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you use than instead of then, were instead we're and your instead of you're you deserve to be corrected no matter how well written the post is and no matter who you are

why? Mostly when people do that it's a typo, it's not that they don't know the difference. I'm dyslexic and process written language through phonics. I sometimes type the wrong word because it has the same sound. I rely on a spell checker to tell me if I spell words wrong (my visual memory for words is poor, so I don't always spot typos) - but spell checkers, at least the browser ones, don't pick up on these because they're actual words. I know the difference between them, but sometimes type the wrong one. Not were or we're though... because they're pronounced differently. but if someone was typing we're quickly it's kind of easy to miss typing the apostrophe

My issue really is the assumption that because someone types the wrong one, they don't know the difference. I don't think that's the case most of the time. Unless someone's consistently using the wrong one, then maybe they don't know the difference.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

preposition-sentence.jpg
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If I chose to correct the spelling or grammar of people online, I would have little time left for anything else. Just notating misuses of "to / two / too" and "there / they're / their" would be a full time job! Unless the poster is claiming superiority of some sort, (in which case pointing out errors is just fun) then I generally ignore it.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't correct stuff usually. I do, however, judge people based upon the way they write.
    lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-2891.gif
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am a good speller and I know how to write.
    is this Irony? ;-)

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing!
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I don't correct stuff usually. I do, however, judge people based upon the way they write.
    lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-2891.gif

^^ QFT. If the message is important enough that you really want people to take it seriously, then you should probably spend a bit more time on it's presentation. It can make the difference between "Have you eaten, grandpa?" and "Have you eaten grandpa?"
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

^That.

And I judge them based upon the way they look too.