Quitting smokeless tobacco - Dipping

Hey y'all.... today marks 2 weeks since I have had a dip. I know that it is a disgusting habit and I need to stop, but aside from the knowledge of possible health problems down the road, I really do not have a problem with it... I just know that I need to quit even though I didn't really want to....

The first two weeks were easy for me since I was on vacation with my wife for two weeks traveling... now I am back getting back to my routine at work and my daily commutes and all of the things I used to do where I would dip. The chemical dependency cravings are not really there but the habitual ones are where I recall that 3 weeks ago I would put a dip in when I would drive home from work or while I was at my desk at work, working on a big project.

I also hope that it does not lead to any weight gain.

Anyone else out there quit and have any advice or stories? Or anyone out there want to quit with me?

Just looking for some support here and people to support ...

Replies

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    I know this is an old post, but I am on day 4. How are you holding up?
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 166 Member
    Yeah so a big project ramped up my stress and I started again last year. I think I made it about 12 weeks or so. I just went on a long vacation again and I started to quit again back on June 26th... today has been 15 days.

They say "Never quit trying to quit."
  • ketodactyl
    ketodactyl Posts: 2 Member
    I didn't use smokeless tobacco but I was a pack-a-day smoker for 16 years. I haven't had even a drag since January 5 2014, thanks to vaping. This e-cigarette saved my life.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    So glad you're giving it another try. You are worth it!
  • I smoked for 10 years and quit in 2005. For some reason I picked it back up in 2012, but then quit again last July. In 2005 I wasn't doing any kind of exercise, plus I was still in my 20s and felt good, but I had other reasons. Last year it was all about health. I started working out more aggressively and I could just feel how bad these things were on my system. I quit cold turkey both times. Well, I sucked on those lozenges for about a week last year, which helped. It's all mental. It helps to stay away from situations that can trigger the urge to light up/dip. Those lozenges might actually help a lot more for people like you who dip, because I imagine the sensation is somewhat similar.

Good luck!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Thanks for the tips and support!

I know it can be done, and I'm not one of those people who blames the addiction, yeah it's hard to quit but it's nothing that can't be done if you want it badly enough.

Yeah I have been chewing gum and sucking on those little peppermint pinwheel mints.

For me, I don't really get the nicotine cravings where I feel like I got to have it. For me, it was just something that helped keep me focused (I felt or told myself) and I think the hardest part of quitting is, I really didn't want to quit. I never really had that point where it was effecting my life (that I could see in front of me) but I know that it's bad for me.

So I'm just trying to stop before it does more irreversible damage.

Today is 16 days
  • TJ_Rugger
    I didn't use smokeless tobacco but I was a pack-a-day smoker for 16 years. I haven't had even a drag since January 5 2014, thanks to vaping. This e-cigarette saved my life.

That's great man!

HOLD FAST!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Sounds like you know you can IF you really want to. I'm sure you know of possible consequences. Tony Gywnn was one of the most likeable guys (and one of baseball's best) to lose his life because of his dipping addiction. I'm sure you know the possible health reasons of why you shouldn't dip, but most people that do react to late when they actually happen.
    It is about habits though. I used to smoke and quit cold turkey. A little tough the first couple of months, but after that, I didn't miss it.
    Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TJ_Rugger
    Another weekend and day down..... 19 days without a dip
  • TJ_Rugger
    OK ... 20 days now.

I will probably (I hope) only keep updates on bigger milestones.

The hardest part remains the fact that I really didn't WANT to quit. But I can stick to it.
  • TJ_Rugger
    Still at it... this past weekend was hard while driving 3 hours (round trip) to the Bay alone.... typically I would have had a dip in most the whole way.

Sunflower seeds helped on the way back.

Today is 26 days
  • TJ_Rugger
    Well today is 35 days..... I had 1 24 hour period where I caved.

It was common for me to dip when I drove long distances and a week ago I had to drive 6 hours on Wednesday for a meeting on Thursday morning so I could drive back 6 hours home. On the way down I caved and bought some chew rather than dip, but it wasn't the same and I had no problem throwing it away once I got back home.

It's getting easier, but I know that I'm not out of the woods yet.
  • TJ_Rugger
    I have noticed that I am the only one posting to this... but if someone searches for this topic later at least there will be something encouraging.

Today is 40 days.... getting easier.

If you're reading this and trying to quit and want some support, add me on here and I will be happy to help if I can.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    keep going dude... we've got your back.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    My coworker quit dipping a few months ago and he now makes little packets of coffee grounds (inside a coffee filter) to get through the day at work. His struggle is mostly with needing to have something in his mouth all the time. Just thought I'd mention it in case it might help someone else here.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Great topic. And hopefully an inspiration to others... Keep Posting... I quit smoking several years ago. Cold Turkey.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    I dipped for a long time (10+ years) but quit over 10 years ago. For me, it was baseball, my (very) brief stint in rodeo and my college buddies that created the dipping habit. Once I decided to quit, I went cold turkey, but sunflower seeds were a HUGE help for me. I tried the tobacco free packs (kinda like Skoal Bandits) but those did nothing for me. Honestly, just having something to chew on - seeds, a toothpick, beef jerky - anything like that, really helping get rid of the habit.

Not gonna lie, I still crave it at times, especially when I hang out with old friends from college. But I will never again be a regular dipper. Keep up the good work man!!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Thanks Matt!

@ActuarialChef: That’s interesting. I guess it would satisfy the oral fixation as well as getting some caffeine. I could see that helping.

@Scott_2025: Thanks

@TXBourbon: Yeah for me using tobacco was very common with the social groups I was around, which always makes it hard when you’re trying to quit. Sunflower seeds and the ground up beef jerky are helping.

Thanks for the support y’all.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Stay strong!

I quit June 1. I've gained 12 pounds in the process. And no, I'm not eating any more / differently than I was. My metabolism has simply crashed. I need to cut my calories way back but I am trying to just hold out for my system to recover. Also, I'm an extreme case. I dipped for the better part of 4 decades. When I quit I probably had a dip in 90% of my waking hours. If I wasn't eating or sleeping, I had one in. That type of constant metabolic boost over a long period of time is something that I'm not going to recover from quickly.
  • TJ_Rugger
    @SaintGiff: I wasn't dipping quite that much.. but not too far off. With me I would also just do it at work most all day, since I just sit in my office most all day alone cranking out work I would just keep a dip in and work away.

So I too had that metabolic edge and yeah I'm working hard to keep the weight off.

Anyway, Thanks for the words and it seems that you have an extra 2 months on me so good job to you too.

Keep it up.