Quitting smokeless tobacco - Dipping

Options

Replies

• fmpro
    fmpro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @SaintGiff: I wasn't dipping quite that much.. but not too far off. With me I would also just do it at work most all day, since I just sit in my office most all day alone cranking out work I would just keep a dip in and work away.

So I too had that metabolic edge and yeah I'm working hard to keep the weight off.

Anyway, Thanks for the words and it seems that you have an extra 2 months on me so good job to you too.

Keep it up.

Hi SaintGiff,

I was a heavy dipper for nearly 26 years. I'd go through at least half a tin per day, sometimes more. I've been quit now for 582 days thanks in part to the support of the awesome community at killthecan.org. BTW, I use a tobacco free "herbal snuff" called "Smokey Mountain". There are other similar products as well. "Fake" dip has been essential to my success. Best of luck to you. Check out killthecan.org.
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    50 Days! Getting easier to not do it, but I still want to just for the relaxation and stress. The big thing that brought be back to it last time I tried to quit last year was this big project at work..... The project is STILL going on... which when the big stressers on this thing come back up, it is still hard to keep away from going out and buying a can. Just one... just for one day and then I will throw it away..... But I know once I do that it will be all over again.

50 days down.....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    50 Days! Getting easier to not do it, but I still want to just for the relaxation and stress. The big thing that brought be back to it last time I tried to quit last year was this big project at work..... The project is STILL going on... which when the big stressers on this thing come back up, it is still hard to keep away from going out and buying a can. Just one... just for one day and then I will throw it away..... But I know once I do that it will be all over again.

50 days down.....
    50 days down is better than 49 days down.

you got this, dude. literally, one minute at a time.
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    The end of today will be 75 days without a dip. I am obviously feeling like I have successfully quit. Still though from time to time, I just want one, working in the yard, driving, working on the Jeep. So the desire is still there, I just know that it is a slippery slope. I also think that one of the harder problems to overcome was the fact that I didn’t WANT to quit… I just knew that I NEEDED to quit. You always hear about people who are addicted to nicotine who say things like, “I know I need to quit and I want to quit but I just can’t.” I was different, I didn’t want to quit… I just knew I needed to.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that I have been as successful as I have been and it’s easier every day. And I want to thank the people here to have been supportive and encouraging. That's what this whole site is all about!

I might not be posting on this tread too much from here on out, but I will probably try to check in if I can remember. If you’re reading this now and are going through the same thing, feel free to add me on here as a friend and I will be glad to be support for you.

HOLD FAST!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Checking in from time to time.... 138 days.... if someone is reading this later and still trying to kick the can... it does get easier.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    today is day one for me...im finally ready
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Hey sorry for the late reply. Today is 200 days for me! You can do it. It will be hard... I still want it from time to time but overall I'm much happier that I have quit!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 200 days! I'm 149 days smoke free. Pretty excited about hitting the 150 mark tomorrow! :D *e cig user.
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My husband quit Jan. 1, 2014 and the first month was hard. He'd literally cry at times. Certain activities were triggers (going to the movies, playing video games, working on something stressful) and he had to learn to do something else. He used play video games in the evenings for an hour or so and he literally stopped playing for most of the year because it was such a trigger. Not only is an addiction you have to quit but it's also retraining behaviors in certain situations. Buy gum in bulk :)
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Congrats on the 200 days! I'm 149 days smoke free. Pretty excited about hitting the 150 mark tomorrow! :D *e cig user.

GREAT JOB! Yes it's definitely is a one day at a time thing....
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    To those still working on it..... today for me is 238 days.... I just finished my lunch and I'm getting back to work on a project at work..... The though still pops in my head ..... right now I would love to put in a dip and crank out this project. It would definitely help with the stress. But I'm not falling in .... I've been too good for too long.

It's hard... but anyone can do it!

Hit me up if you need some support!

HOLD FAST!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep going... 238 days clean is a huge accomplishment, give yourself a big ol' pat on the back!! And if you do give in to the urge to cheat, you'll have to reset your counter and start at Day 1 all over again.. so don't! :smiley:
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Yeah so in an effort of full disclosure... that last post from me back in February of 2015 was going well…. Then over the summer of 2015 I was out on vacation with a bunch of friends from college for a long bachelor party and thought that since I had kicked the can for as long as I had, that I could just buy one can and be good. And sure enough I was fine, I don’t think I even finished the can.

Then later in the fall, I had a lot of work and family stress and I said to myself that I was just going to buy a can and have 1 or two and then throw it away in the morning…. And I did… then I did that again a few more times and then I got back into a regular dipping routine again.

So in the spirit of “Never Quit Trying To Quit” I’ve quit again. Today is day #4 without tobacco.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 years ago using an app created by Jason Vale and it was actually easy, I don't miss it at all. Before the app I smoked 20 a day and attempts to give up left me in tears. It really is all psychological and habitual, the addiction itself is the easy part as it's so small, the "pain" comes from your mind. I don't mean this to sound patronising as I remember the difficulty before finding the app.
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Yeah so its been 17 days now... getting easier but still think about it. Especially when stressors arise!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Yeah so it didn't last starting again last fall.

Trying again. It's another New Years Resolution and today is day 4.

Not "REALLY" wanting to quit is what makes it so hard... I just know that I should quit.

Here we go again!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You really do want to quit though to make it happen. People who play professional sports stay in the game too long sometimes because they love it, even though it might be a health risk for them later in life. What you really need to do is meet some actual people who have had mouth cancer from it. They'll be your best supporters and inspirers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB! Quitting any type of addictive thing is a *kitten*. Oral fixation is also quite a pain. Keep sugar free gum, in your car, buy in bulk!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Sorry, there's nothing good I can say about smoking or dipping, esp dipping. For gods sake just stop it. It's a disgusting habit that will lead to half your jaw rotting off. Ugh.

You can't possibly be too concerned about your health and physical appearance and then continue to do something like that.
  • elephant_eater
    elephant_eater Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Sorry, there's nothing good I can say about smoking or dipping, esp dipping. For gods sake just stop it. It's a disgusting habit that will lead to half your jaw rotting off. Ugh.

You can't possibly be too concerned about your health and physical appearance and then continue to do something like that.

Nobody expects you to say anything good about it- say something supportive or don't say anything. Don't troll someone's support page just to criticize. Ugh.

TJ- Grind through it and don't give in. I am on day 117 after chewing for 8 years and I know that at any time, I am one dip away from falling off. Keep away from the triggers and lean on others for support. I was blowing through a can per day, so I made a calculator that I would update everyday how much money I saved. Since I am feeling more confident in myself with it, I am updating it every Monday to start out my week with a reminder of how far I have come. Stay strong.