Hard Boiled Eggs

Options

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cover eggs with water,use a lid ,bring to a boil.....then low heat for 5 mins.,turn heat off,Let stand 10 minutes. Drain,then add to bowl of ice water.When cold,try peeling under running water.

This
  • NeroDoZo
    NeroDoZo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing in cracking the egg prior to boiling. If I crack it enough for some white to edge out (but obviously not pour out), the shell will come right off when peeling. It seems odd if you haven't done it before, but it's easy to do and will make sense once having experienced this process.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    It's also a matter of the cooking time.

Try the trick of putting the egg in a dish with a lid with an inch of water and shaking it vigorously until the shell is off. They just SLIP off the egg because the water gets under the shell.

I can't find a link to the video I watched of that one... but it did seem to work!

I've been meaning to try this. I've also been meaning to try "scrambling" an egg while in it's shell so I can have scrambled hard boiled eggs. Apparently you can use a sleeve. Off topic.. sorry.

Or try blowing the eggs out of their shells:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Scrambled:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Add a little baking soda to the boiling water. The shell should crumble right off.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They need to be a few weeks old. Fresh eggs will not peel. Bring to a boil with lid on turn off heat let sit 20 minutes. Put in ice water. Peel.
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just boil the water with a teaspoon of BAKING SODA, add eggs and cook for about 9 minutes. Remove from water, run under cold water to stop the cooking process.

If shells don't come off easily, I just roll them on the counter and rinse them in water. Someone else mentioned that it's definitely very difficult to peel very fresh eggs!!

I also use baking soda and the 3-11 method.

The 3-11 method is to bring the eggs/water to a boil, let boil for 3 minutes then take off heat, cover and let sit for 11 minutes. After the 11 minutes is up I cool the eggs fast with ice and water then peel.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water while they are boiling. I have hard boiled eggs with my breakfast a few times a week and never have any problems peeling them. I also never keep track of fresh vs. older eggs so I am not sure that matters. I just put them in water, turn the burner on, wait until it comes to a rolling boil, set a kitchen timer for 9 mins, and then after 9 mins, drain and put them in a bowl to cool off for a few minutes. I eat mine hot, cold eggs gross me out.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but a friend gave me the egg age tip and another method of cooking. They are now almost always easy to peel and always have a perfectly cooked yolk. I make sure to boil eggs that I've had for at least one week. The newer eggs are always harder to peel. I usually boil a dozen at a time so we have them on hand for the week. I pierce each egg, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, let boil for 12 minutes, put in ice water and chill for at leat 10 minutes.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in the pan, add the water, once it starts boiling set the timer to ten minutes. Take it out of the pan right away when done and run under cool water. Let them sit in cool water for a few minutes. When you peel them, try to get under that thin layer of "skin". They should peel perfect
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just let them cool awhile and then lightly tap them on the table and peel them. I haven't had any difficulty.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    Very fresh eggs are always harder to peel. Buy in advance and leave them sitting around a few days. This is what I do when I need to peel a bunch of eggs, say, for a large portion of devilled eggs for a party.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have no problems
    i boil them
    put them in a strainer
    put the strainer in the sink
    let cool water run over them for 5- 10 minutes
    peel
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try this.... once you get the water boiling then time it for ten minutes. The egg shells will peel easier after that.
  • Dreed71
    Dreed71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I boil my eggs with a little salt. Then after they have boiled about 5 minutes I turn the water off. I then put the pot in the sink and turn on the cold water and let the cold water run into the pan until the pan is filled with cool water. I let it set there for about 10 minutes or so, then crack them a bit and peel them.
  • kxll01
    kxll01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just tried a recipe this past weekend where you cook them in the oven (in a muffin pan to keep from rolling)--325 for 30 mins, then an ice bath to cool them down. Peeled perfectly every time.
    I use the oven method..converted my dad and uncle to making them this way.
  • JimSheets69
    JimSheets69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eggs need to be at least 4 days old from laying. I steam them in a rice double boiler after water is to a boil, 10 minutes for hard boiled cool right away under running water. For soft boiled eggs 5 min on extra large and 4 minutes for large, 3 minute for medium cooling slightly under running water.
  • glenda_ok
    glenda_ok Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time with my eggs falling apart too. This is what works for me:

Fill pan with water and bring to a boil. Add room temp eggs to the water (carefully), and bring back to a boil. Once the water is boiling again, let it boil for 10 minutes. Then drain the water from pan and replace it with cold water. Crack each egg and let sit in the cold water for 10 minutes.

They peel very easily with this method.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I put a bit of white vinegar in the water I am boiling the eggs in. Once cooked, I pour cold water on the eggs and let them sit like that for a while until they are completely cool. The vinegar makes peeling a hard boiled egg a breeze.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This will sound weird...and I didn't think it would work, but I tried it anyway. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water when you boil them. Since I started doing that, I've not had a single issue peeling eggs.
    I do this too - I was surprised at how much easier it was to peel them! I'm impatient and hate leaving them to cool thoroughly, and this way I can do them asap after cooking.

Some great ideas on this thread though. I'm doing boiled eggs for dinner tonight so I'll maybe try something different.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Stupid eggs! I try all the different ways but it seems like luck of the draw with those buggers.