• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jLZz4Na.gif
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You sound like a very patient man, kudos for that

I think your wife has insecurities with herself (her weight) She could have emotional bonds with food too..

It seems at the time being, you have goals and are heading down a road of more fitness success, in result you will find yourself having more disagreements in outtings when it comes to food, and restaurants...

You and her are the role models, and lots of parents disregard food and dont see how it really affects a persons personal life, physically and mentally..

You should sit her down and tell her your perspective, how you really do care about her health and your child's.. maybe she will take it in a different light and be more encouraged to change if you show concern in the lightest way possible..woman do usually take everything personally!! So tell her how much you love her, and just be clear as day and honest!
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    if you are trying to push them, you are a food nazi :)

health effort should be an individual choice

If you keep pointing at them, you are probably pissing them off

Somehow, I do not think a 3 year old child is in a position to be able to make individual choices as to what food is healthy or not, lol.

Agreed, there's a shared responsibility with what the kids consume, the poster could try preparing better meals to lead a better example for the kids. As for the wife, she's a grown adult and won't change unless she wants to. No point in nagging her.

This.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gotta admit, I'm amazed and ****ing disturbed by the amount of people telling him to "worry about yourself" when a huge chuck of his issue is worrying about his 3 year old daughter's poor eating habits.

What the **** kind of father would he be if he finally recognized the family had **** eating habits, got himself healthy, and just ignored the fact that his 3-year old daughter is still constantly eating crap because his wife refuses to take any responsibility to provide healthy eating habits to the child?

Dude, OP, that's your kid. Take responsibility. If you don't like the way your wife is feeding her, take control of it. And ignore anyone here that says you need to "worry about yourself" because that's some seriously ****ed up advice when it comes to being worried about your child.
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    I have completely changed my eating habits over the past year, and with plenty of exercise, have lost about 68 pounds now. My wife has refused to join me in my healthy eating efforts, and often feeds herself and our three year old daughter garbage. No matter where we go out to eat, she always orders either a huge burrito or pizza, and she always gets our daughter chicken strips, mac and cheese, or mini corn dogs. Kids menus don't have many good options as it is, but I feel like we could be doing better. Whenever I say something about my wife's poor food choices, she calls me a food nazi and gets all upset. In my non-medical opinion, both my wife and daughter are overweight and putting themselves at risk for a variety of health problems, but I feel helpless to do anything about it because my wife is so stubborn. What, if anything, can I do? Am I really being too uptight, and let them eat whatever they want? Or should I be more assertive, since I am the daddy and have had success with losing weight and maintaining weight by eating healthily and exercising? I feel like this issue is so touchy for my wife, it could pull us apart. Thanks for any constructive advice you might have!

Here's my constructive advice:

494e32785f3343631f9c58cad1eb5022008573ffd12703b7bc1801e4c857f760.jpg

As for the bolded parts,

1. Stop making comments about your wife's food choices, you sound like a food nazi.

2. Worry about yourself

3. Since you're the daddy??? Seriously, not gonna go there but being the "daddy", if you don't like the food choices your kids have, quit b*tching and do some meal prep yourself.

Again, if you don't like the food your family is choosing to eat, step up and take over meal preps for a month.

#3. Interesting, so he lost 68 pounds in a year by... what? eating his wife's cooking? Somehow I doubt that. So what are you basing the assumption on? Him being male? When he said Daddy, you think he was talking about his wife?

Next time, trying reading what someone wrote, instead of what you want to read so you can hate people.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    One more thought. If you have a child who is a picky eater remember kids need to try new foods many times before they begin to like it. We have a rule at our house that you must try everything on your plate. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it but you must try it. I also make it a competition with my 6 year old. I will say "I bet I can finish my carrots before you." She usually forgets she didn't want it and tries to beat me.
  • aprilmenzies1
    aprilmenzies1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Does your wife feel threatened by your success or insecure in your relationship? You could unknowingly be making the issue worse with questioning her food choices. If she is happy eating whatever she does and is happy in herself you will only be making the issue worse, leave her choices to her.
    As a mummy depending on how pro active you are as a dad may have bearing on how she takes your feelings about your daughters eating. Again if you are just picking on this one issue I would look at yourself first (are you too sensitive) and not get too hung up on the eating habits. Get involved with all the meals if possible not just dinner (you only talk about eating out are they healthy all the other time)
    If you are pro active daddy then why not help with making the meals and shopping for the ingredients and involve your daughter in the process (shop the rainbow for fruit and veg, make a list with pictures and get her to scribble on them when you have got that one).
    I know I would appreciate someone cooking for me once perhaps your wife would like that too? Chat with her in a non confrontational way (not at a meal time when tension can sky rocket).
    Be Kind to each other its hard when one of you is changing and the other doesn't want to.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

The wife, yeah. The kid, no. He has a responsibility to his child to ensure she has a healthy diet.

No way would I sit back and let my husband give me kids constant junk that is making them overweight!!

You wife is out of order for allowing the child to eat rubbish under the excuse of being a 'food nazi'.

This! Honestly, there was a comment in this thread that irritated the crap out of me because it almost seemed as though since you "are the daddy" you have less control while Mom holds all the cards. Someone's personal issues peeking through their advice. You definitely have just as much say in feeding your child as your wife does. You are right to be concerned if you feel that your daughter is learning unhealthy eating habits. Your wife's eating habits (unless she is obese) isn't your concern, but your daughter's eating habits most certainly are.

Honestly, legally speaking mommy does hold all of the cards (assuming OP is in the US), unless you can prove she is an unfit parent. Mommy and kid being overweight is not going to do that - if they even are overweight, medically. Who knows? OP says they are overweight in his non-medical opinion.

Now OP has suddenly revealed it is only occasionally that they go out and have 'unhealthy' food. Gee, I wonder if the wife views not having to cook as a relaxing break, and enjoys having something she wouldn't make at home? She probably feels like she's giving her kid a treat as well. No wonder getting criticism about her choices is prompting a 'food nazi' push-back.

If OP's marriage is suffering enough that he would post this, just imagine the shape it'll be in when the wife stumbles across it. Piss her off enough, and neither wife nor kid will be in OP's sphere of influence at all, which I guess is a solution. Of a sort ...
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    in to read later...
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options

The wife, yeah. The kid, no. He has a responsibility to his child to ensure she has a healthy diet.

No way would I sit back and let my husband give me kids constant junk that is making them overweight!!

You wife is out of order for allowing the child to eat rubbish under the excuse of being a 'food nazi'.

This! Honestly, there was a comment in this thread that irritated the crap out of me because it almost seemed as though since you "are the daddy" you have less control while Mom holds all the cards. Someone's personal issues peeking through their advice. You definitely have just as much say in feeding your child as your wife does. You are right to be concerned if you feel that your daughter is learning unhealthy eating habits. Your wife's eating habits (unless she is obese) isn't your concern, but your daughter's eating habits most certainly are.

Honestly, legally speaking mommy does hold all of the cards (assuming OP is in the US), unless you can prove she is an unfit parent. Mommy and kid being overweight is not going to do that - if they even are overweight, medically. Who knows? OP says they are overweight in his non-medical opinion.

I wasn't speaking in legal terms. They made the child together and they have equal responsibility to that child. This child has two parents, if this child only had a Mother than that would be a different story. I am in no way telling OP to take legal action. I'm not entirely sure how that came out of what I wrote but if it did I sincerely apologize. My point is, I hate when people imply that Mothers are the most important figurehead. Fathers are important too.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You need to sit and talk to her. Level with her. Explain that you aren't trying to be a "nazi" but the health of both of them is highly important to you.

STOP eating out until she can get on board. Make family cooking fun.

Normally, if it WAS just the wife I'd say "worry about yourself" but there is a child involved.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I gotta admit, I'm amazed and ****ing disturbed by the amount of people telling him to "worry about yourself" when a huge chuck of his issue is worrying about his 3 year old daughter's poor eating habits.

What the **** kind of father would he be if he finally recognized the family had **** eating habits, got himself healthy, and just ignored the fact that his 3-year old daughter is still constantly eating crap because his wife refuses to take any responsibility to provide healthy eating habits to the child?

Dude, OP, that's your kid. Take responsibility. If you don't like the way your wife is feeding her, take control of it. And ignore anyone here that says you need to "worry about yourself" because that's some seriously ****ed up advice when it comes to being worried about your child.

What he said.
    If your wife wants to continue to eat unhealthy there really is nothing you can do about it but keep eating the way you do and maybe eventually, she will want to join you. As far as your daughter is concerned, you have every reason and every right to want to improve the way she eats! You want a healthy child! What parent doesn't want whats best for their kids?? Focus on changing your daughter's eating habits. It won't be easy but your child's health is more important than easy.
    Best of luck!!
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    You have no right to push your wife to eat healthier but you have every right and responsibility to see that your daughter eats healthier. What she eats now will form her food opinion in later years.

You might try taking the initiative at nights you eat at home and cook dinner for the family. Instead of pushing it as healthier just serve it as something 'new' to try. Good luck!

This x1000. You def cant make your wife change her habits but you can certainly help your daughter. And you have every right to teach her proper nutrition. Hopefully your wife will at least be on board with that. Good luck!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You need to sit and talk to her. Level with her. Explain that you aren't trying to be a "nazi" but the health of both of them is highly important to you.

STOP eating out until she can get on board. Make family cooking fun.

Normally, if it WAS just the wife I'd say "worry about yourself" but there is a child involved.
    And when that fails...
    tumblr_ms671y6jy71s9kboko1_500.gif
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I'm going to second this. Its pretty evident how many people are voicing some loud opinions on how to raise OPs child when they clearly don't have children themselves.

Its impossible to force your wife to take any steps she doesn't want to take but if you can find some common interests (biking to the park and flying a kite/playing with huge bubbles/hiking/WHATEVER) and try to incorporate mutually acceptable healthy events into the family's calendar.

But helping your child develop good eating habits is REALLY important and it doesn't make you a nazi to look out for your child. Or else almost every parent in the world would be a nazi.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think this thread needs to just end...

OP originally spoke out of frustration, and yes, what he was saying sounded judgmental and everyone jumped onto the "you can't force your wife to be healthy but your daughter is another story" bandwagon. He later backpedaled and gave some additional information that in my opinion, makes this sound much less sinister. Wife cooks at home and makes relatively healthy meals. Wife may not be ready to lose weight, that's her prerogative. It's only when they go out to eat that he is concerned about his daughter's eating habits. Daughter is 3 years old. 3 YEARS OLD. Which means she isn't overweight yet. And while I agree that it is up to the parents to offer healthy choices to children, I don't know any 3 year olds who don't eat mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, and pizza on occasion, in a restaurant or at home. Without a lot more details about what the child does or doesn't eat, I think all the advice about dad needing to step in and take a hard stance for the sake of the child is a little bit of a knee jerk reaction to the limited amount of information provided in the OP... which has since been tempered...

So before this spirals even more out of control and drags on and on - I propose we all just...

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Use food to bond with your daughter. For example, if she wants a snack and to watch a show on tv with you, snuggle up with some treats like carrots....just something "healthy", and she will enjoy it and get a taste of good healthy food. That way you don't tick your wife off or put your daughter in the middle.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    my wife doesn't eat like i do too...

She eats breakfast and lunch and snacks like she wants.
    For supper I make it for all of us and it's healthy so she eats good at that moment (kids included)
    I buy good food for the kids too but sometime yes..they have can noddles or kraft dinner but they're kids and i don't want to piss them off too (but they eat most of the time very well).

That's how i do it.

It's hard to force someone to change their habits .... they need to decide and wanted themselves.
    I think you can slowly...bring her to eat healthier...slow, step by step by adding more veggies etc..
    It's working for me. And the other day she was happy that she has lost weight.... etc....
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    OP, as a mother to a 3 year old...I get it, I really do. However, since your wife is not on the same wavelength as you it makes it very difficult. My husband refuses to eat healthy & always has a smart remark when I am trying to feed him healthy food. So I have resorted to preparing different meals for him. For my daughter & I, I cook clean meals with plenty of veggies. Sometimes she eats her veggies other times not. Since toddlers are weird, I just keep offering different veggies to my daughter. For my husband, he gets the not so healthy stuff (fried everything, processed side dishes, etc.). I don't argue with him about it, it's his choice.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah, are they actually over weight? Like are actual medical professionals worried about them?

I really don't like like your topic - you are labeling your wife, when you could have just as easily said "frustrated husband". You didn't, because you think you are right and she is wrong. And maybe you are right, but you are going to win very few people, least of all your wife, over with that the kind of attitude you have.

You lost 68 pounds. That doesn't automatically mean you are qualified to tell other people that they need to lose weight or what to eat. We have no idea how you lost your weight or what your relationship with food is actually like. You act like pizza, burritos, and corn dogs are the devil, that is suspect to me. There is nothing wrong with those foods. It's easy to make them a part of a balanced diet. What your wife chooses to eat is her business. STFU about it. If you wife is denying your daughter produce because it's "healthy" that is different than her allowing your daughter food you deem "junk".

In the case of your daughter, see her pediatrician for advice. If your daughter is indeed "overweight" ask them for a plan to help reduce her weight. But go with the expert's opinion and forget your own. If you actually love your wife and daughter, give up on the idea of being right.

PS if my husband had a post like this, it would give me serious pause. The internet is forever, what's to say she won't find this heap of of a thread in the future when she wants to lose weight? At no point do you even try to make your wife a sympathetic character or mention any redeeming qualities about her. That speaks volumes about you, not her. How did you marry such a stubborn woman who turned out to be a terrible mother than let's her daughter have corn dogs? SMDH.

Wow! Scold him for being judgemental then get all judgemental on his *kitten*. You missing your NOW meeting?