Because Fat-Shaming is Sooo Cool

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You know, for a site where "because science" get said often as a mantra, it's surprising how little people know about the scientific research surrounding obesity that isn't about losing weight but why people become overweight or obese in the first place.

There are genetic factors to it, just like being gay. The genetic contribution to your body weight is the same as that of your height, which is 70%.

Ever met the kid who complained about not being able to gain weight- the skinny awkward teenager who wanted to bulk up? Ever met the girl who no matter how hard she tried and how stringent her diet she couldn't lose weight?

Wanna know why? Because science.

Does an obesogenic environment contribute to obesity? Definitely yes. Do our dietary behaviors impact our weight? Obviously yes. But they aren't the sole reason for one's body weight.

And I won't even touch on the role that socio-economic status plays in obesity trends.

The idea that weight is all personal choice is garbage. I would like to see the scientific papers that prove that it is.

Of course there are genetic factors to gaining weight. Any animal species on the planet that didn't have this would have died out long ago. But that's where we diverge in our thinking. Our obesity is 100% a byproduct of our current society*. The human population has never had access to the quantity and quality of high calorie food options. For hundreds of thousands of years, it has been in our hard wiring to take advantage of food surpluses in preparation for times of shortage. The individuals that did so in the past were the ones that survived those times of famine (due to stored energy reserves) and the ones that didn't, died of starvation and didn't pass on their genetics. The main difference is that we don't experience shortages anymore (relatively speaking of course). We all have to work against that survival evolutionary trait. That said, I do not blame society for an individual's weight since we are also animals with the unusual ability to be self aware beyond instinct.

It is a personal choice. I chose to not pay attention to my eating and allow my natural drive to eat what's available to be in charge. Then I made the personal choice to pay attention and limit myself, thereby working against that natural drive and LOSING weight even when food is easily available. That was my personal choice.

*assuming populations in the world that have readily available/cheap food supplies
  • Vanrunya
    Vanrunya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think its more about giving people the chance to learn to care about themselves and who they are inside, so that they can decide to want to become a healthier person.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I haven't really thought about it that much but I liked what someone else said, being happy no matter what your size.

So I think it's oke if you are trying to help a loved one to be healthier but think really hard before you do, what your motivation is.
    Do you think they are unhealthy because they are "fat" or because of their eating and lack of exercise.

Sure being overweight isn't healthy, but some overweight people are healthier than their skinny relatives.
    Look at your own lifestyle before commenting on someone elses'.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with Linda Kelsey 100%.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is she makes some really good points, but they're overshadowed by the nastiness and hatred.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

- cake > pie

Ummmmm...

Community-Jeff-wrong.gif
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No shaming is ok and its just as bad to call someone out for being too skinny...

you have to judge a person from what is inside not outside and i know that sounds cheesy but its true. never judge a book by its cover but it might have a ratty cover and be the best damn book you have ever read!!
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Apparently she can't discern the difference of fat and natural curves! :angry:
    They were not chubby, but fat. They had bulging bellies and billowing pillows of back and shoulder stuffing, punctured by flabby arms and lardy legs that no amount of fake-tan could disguise.

article-2686676-1F7BF69200000578-226_634x481.jpg
    article-2686676-08AA7132000005DC-385_634x404.jpg

She's discerning just fine. She's talking about fat. She made that very clear and included helpful pictures. This is not "natural curves" unless you consider "bulging bellies" and "billowing pillows" of rolls on their back to be natural curves.

I have a serious problem with people who use curves and fat synonymously. They are not the same thing. Fat does not mean one is curvy and curvy does not mean one is fat. Please stop misusing this word people.

also
    I don't like "fat" shaming. Just as I don't like "skinny" shaming. I hate them both equally.

I also don't like justifications for unhealthy behavior, whether that be being overweight or underweight. I don't think unhealthy behavior should be glamorized.

I agree with what she said.

Fair points. I was just playing Devils advocate because there are people who would say that because they want to be fair/sound politically correct/dodge the bullet of the obesity populations scorn! :indifferent:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

- cake > pie

Ummmmm...

Community-Jeff-wrong.gif

fcd7ca8ffff08005c706f09b0fd8457b500x280x27_zpsda580777.gif
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This is a topic near and dear to my heart and I would like to share my story. I grew up in Kuwait and Lebanon and during the early days of my youth I was always very healthy and motivated. However when I came to the UK I faced racism and discrimination. People didn't even know what to call me back then. They just knew I was "foreign" This eventually lead to my segregation from normal society for a long long time. I over ate played computer games and indulged in drugs and amateur philosophy because I had literally nothing better to do. My experience with people back then jaded me to human relationships. To me love, friendship,duty, family society it was all a big fat lie an illusory measuring stick that we judge each other by. To an extent I still believe this. And this lead me to separate myself further from people not out of shame but out of disgust. While I was getting fat and lazy and disgusting other people I in turn was disgusted that other people could not see beyond the fact that I was fat and lazy. I was shocked to find that people no longer treated me like a person. More like an animal.

This lead to a downward spiral which eventually resulted in bipolar disorder and an extremely unhealthy relationship with food and a decided unhealthy relationship with cannabis. While I believe that one can have a tempered cannabis habit mine was anything but. I drowned in it and in the distractions it provided.

Honestly I have only fully recovered in the last couple of years. My cannabis habit though still present is definitely under control. I only use it once a week at most rather than drowning in the damn stuff every night. My bipolar mood swings are extremely rare. And I have made some very good friends. Who are frankly the best the human race has to offer and I am not really sure I deserve. But am grateful for all the same. But the point is alone it took me me almost fifteen years to reconcile this. I had no help I felt isolated. And I could so easily have got myself in an irrecoverable position. I don't even know if I could have escaped it without my friends and family.

But beyond my race beyond my attitude beyond anything I was segregated for being FAT. People do not tolerate it. If they let you in their social circle at all it is as a comedy relief. It's disgusting and it has to stop.

So yeah some people are using the "fat acceptance" movement as an excuse to stay fat. But their message is real and people .need to listen to it. It's not ok to dehumanize someone for ANY reason. Least of all being fat.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I haven't really thought about it that much but I liked what someone else said, being happy no matter what your size.

So I think it's oke if you are trying to help a loved one to be healthier but think really hard before you do, what your motivation is.
    Do you think they are unhealthy because they are "fat" or because of their eating and lack of exercise.

Sure being overweight isn't healthy, but some overweight people are healthier than their skinny relatives.
    Look at your own lifestyle before commenting on someone elses'.

^^^ THIS. Unless that person is spiraling way out of control to the point that death is truly knocking on their door. Until that time, don't sham, instead hint politely or motivate them in a positive way rather than degrade them saying, "oh they're fat". It hurts that person especially one who is working hard to lose the pounds.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am not sure replacing fat with gay is the same thing. You can't change your sexuality. IMO
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    sorry didnt read all the comments-- just some.

my issue with this article is not really the fat shaming but the girl shaming. men can be fat too.... the issue to me is that women cant be fat. She cites eating disorders and daughters-- only targeting women. if you she is a fattist she should be an equal opportunity fattist ** weirdest/worst statement i've ever written**.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

There are genetic factors to it, just like being gay. The genetic contribution to your body weight is the same as that of your height, which is 70%

Source for this please?

When I was really bored the other day, I calculated roughly how many hours exercise I had done over the last 5 years.... I don't remember how many it was but it was a lot, hundreds probably thousands of hours of intense exercise.

You want to tell me the reason I'm in shape and all the overweight people are overweight is mostly genetics?

I'm calling bs.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, the more women whom choose to gleefully embrace morbid obesity, the better mathematical chances of me finding a great hubby.

Eat up, ladies!

***puts on sneakers to go for a jog***
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    this thread has turned out a lot different than the other thread on the same thing. interesting. :huh:
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hendrix- I agree - however, there are sometimes legitimate reasons why people are overweight. But the genetic thing is a crutch in most cases- again- IMO.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

- cake > pie

Ummmmm...

Community-Jeff-wrong.gif

fcd7ca8ffff08005c706f09b0fd8457b500x280x27_zpsda580777.gif

Whatever...more for me.

Don%27t+Touch+My+Pie.gif

eta: kudos for saying the most controversial thing in this thread.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hendrix- I agree - however, there are sometimes legitimate reasons why people are overweight. But the genetic thing is a crutch in most cases- again- IMO.

I agree, lots of people get overweight very young before they are old enough to understand what's happened...I get there are other factors.

But once you are an adult, with all the mental and physical tools to do something about your own body and lifestyle habits claiming bad genetics doesn't fly with me I'm afraid. Everyone can make a choice to change and take responsibility of their own situation
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Fat people are immoral.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPTQn7GPtRt1um4Cg3tukk7ud9nMNXoM4MsPwSY99gb6iJOBchVw

Gluttony is a sin.
    If i'm going for one of the Seven Deadly ones, I'm in for sloth.