Because Fat-Shaming is Sooo Cool

Options

Replies

• MamaPochy
    MamaPochy Posts: 8
    Options
    Fat acceptance doesn't mean this at all. It means knowing that you are a worthy contributing wonderful human being even if you are fat! It doesn't mean you don't need to lose weight for health reasons. Knowing what a term actually means is important. Hating yourself because you are fat is one sure way to keep you there. Negative thoughts bring about negative actions. But knowing you are a beautiful, wonderful,worthy, contributing person despite being fat, having this mindset, will almost surely make it many times more probable you'll adopt a healthier lifestyle! Oh and we're humans. Not bulls and cows. There is so much more to life as a human than attractiveness. Like WAY more. If you live your life thinking you are only here to procreate and nothing else, how boring your life will become.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    i will not be a jerk :)

Turning over a new leaf?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fat shaming per say but I don't think the idea of normalising obesity is a good thing, especially obesity in the extreme. The more obese one is the more unnecessary stress they put on their body and health. We should strive to be as fit and healthy as we can not just give up and reach for the ding dongs and then make excuses.

You do know that the fat acceptance movement doesn't aim to normalize or glorify obesity, right? It just says that we ALL are worthy of love, respect, and bodily autonomy. It says NOTHING about how one should go about living their life, in terms of dietary choices and exercise habits.

If anything, i've found many people more inclined to take positive steps towards improved health - myself included, as well as many individuals commenting earlier on in the thread - because the movement made them feel as though they were worthy of love and respect, leading them to love and respect their bodies enough to make positive changes.

:)
    You should visit some of the places I do then. There is definitely a trend to consider it normal. If I see another "real men like x" or "skinny chicks are x" meme or a thin privilege tirade I am going to stab my eyes out. From my perspective I see more people trying to abdicate personal responsibility than anything else. This trend seems to be pervasive over many areas of life not just health.
  • shmerek
    Options
    I don't know about fat shaming per say but I don't think the idea of normalising obesity is a good thing, especially obesity in the extreme. The more obese one is the more unnecessary stress they put on their body and health. We should strive to be as fit and healthy as we can not just give up and reach for the ding dongs and then make excuses.

Haven't you heard? If you mention health, you'll be discounted because no one is actually worried about anyone's health. What you're actually worried about is their attractiveness.

It's true. I read it in the forums.
    haha Thanks I am now informed.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    i will not be a jerk :)

Turning over a new leaf?

People get offended easily. So Ima take it easy.....:happy:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me sad because of the amount of hits the Daily Fail will have got. That paper is EVIL people!!

nwynmg.jpg
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The article screams "I'm a 2 bit hack writer" and it looks like she has a stick up her back end in that photo. I'm guessing she's an unpleasant person to start with who lost her lover to a bigger woman and now just wants to be a vile human. Well I agree that Facebook probably causes cancer by rotting brain cells. That's a very weird newspaper right there, especially given how strict the UK rules always seemed to be about what can be published.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I take it no one here is aware that "The Daily Mail" is affectionately nicknamed "The Daily Fail"?
    +1

Any time I see the dailyco.uk in the errrl....I roll my eyes and

Scroll...

Scroll...

Scroll...

.....past that beezy.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't disagree with her either. She's got a point. And a strong one. People are getting way too comfortable leading a life of slave to appetite that shows deliberate carelessness and lack of taking action to do the right thing. It is pitiful really. Maybe the way this woman wrote this article was too scornful, but she definitely got to the point spot on. This attitude toward a junk filled life is a plague of our society. And most people in that kind of life would rather prefer blaming outside factors, or other people for their miserable condition, rather than become self conscious and be more action takers.
    And I WAS a former obese. (not just fat mind you)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

Fat is a sign of a problem? Yelp. Then i guess we're all screwed, because fat is essential for prolonged health and longevity. That's indicative of a problem now? Better cut off my breasts: i'm rather healthy, but those contain a lot of fat so OFF WITH THOSE!

I know you most likely made a mistake with words there, but seeing how you quite frankly don't comprehend the concept of body acceptance, i couldn't help my snarky remarks.

No thin people live longer. Check out the longevity data for countries and look up this country called Jepen

who the hell wants to live longer anyway

ew
  • shmerek
    Options

who the hell wants to live longer anyway

ew
    *Raises hand
  • salembambi
    Options
    Well I wouldn't disagree with her either. She's got a point. And a strong one. People are getting way too comfortable leading a life of slave to appetite that shows deliberate carelessness and lack of taking action to do the right thing. It is pitiful really. Maybe the way this woman wrote this article was too scornful, but she definitely got to the point spot on. This attitude toward a junk filled life is a plague of our society. And most people in that kind of life would rather prefer blaming outside factors, or other people for their miserable condition, rather than become self conscious and be more action takers.

nothing shines my shoes more than former fatties hating on fatties
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

Good for your shoes. :smile:
    Maybe you need to re read again what I said?
  • salembambi
    Options

Good for your shoes. :smile:
    Maybe you need to re read again what I said?

its still ripe with judgement and condescension the 2nd go around
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    neffme - I am too lazy to go back and quote all your posts - but I just wanted to say how much I got out of reading them.

Thank you so much for your informative and reasoned posts patiently explaining the fat acceptance movement.

It seems there is a lot of misunderstanding out there, including on this forum.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Then your sister is lucky to have you. Maybe. It depends on what those words might be.

Also, from my experience the fat acceptance movement is more about people who have had weight problems for many years, or throughout their whole lives. I can say that I've never met a real person (read: non-troll) who actually decided to put on 50lbs because she wanted a fatkini instead of a bikini.

It was actually a figure of speech. However, I do have a friend that is 100+ overweight. My words to her were exactly this: "Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be healthy?" She said, "Yes" Then I said, "Then you should count calories with me, its working rather well!" Then I talked to her about all the advantages that go along with my journey and said "I encourage you to do it too, since your unhappy with your health right now and I'm concerned about you" This is because she is having lots of health issues. This woman from the article is rather harsh, and I would never say anything like that. I'm saying don't say nothing, say something, say it nicely. She even brought the subject up! Not to go around calling people out for their weight. Just to be clear...
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    posts like these are like a train wreck... mass casualties strewn all over, blood and guts, but man you just can't look away.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I take it no one here is aware that "The Daily Mail" is affectionately nicknamed "The Daily Fail"?

About on par with the National Enquirer, my UK people tell me.
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    Ban fat people.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    While yes, obesity is a problem, there's nothing wrong with loving yourself despite how you look. Obviously it's dangerous to be one extreme or the other- whether it be extremely thin, or extremely obese. However, not all overweight people are unhealthy, and not all underweight people are unhealthy, just like not all "normal-weight" people are healthy.

I don't understand what's so hard to grasp about that.