Pushy Spelling/Grammar People

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put" - in the words of (probably someone other than) Sir. Winston Churchill.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this is THE most entertaining sentence I've read all day!!!!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

I like to always split infinitives and hang my prepositions up.

I also don't consider these to be incorrect.

And that's why I added 'controversial' - I knew someone would say this. :laugh:

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put" - in the words of (probably someone other than) Sir. Winston Churchill.

Even so, with all these alleged grammar enthusiasts on the internet, you'd expect at least some of them to fall into the anti- split infinitives and hanging preposition camps. Or at least have an opinion on the matter.
    Some are probably chafed over subjunctive mood, I'd wager.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Many of these responses are spectacular, and a bit unexpected! They demonstrate that how one writes is in direct correlation to how seriously they are taken.
    I will say that I accept a lot of slang, clichés and abbreviation in my internet chat. It lends a lot of personality to something that can be very flat. It only comes across as base if the writer actually is.
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    Options
    "We don't need no education"
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I don't correct stuff usually. I do, however, judge people based upon the way they write.
    lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-2891.gif
    ^This

I'm not going to take the time to correct someone else's abominable (mis)use of the English language but I will mentally judge you for not knowing, for example, the correct usage of to (a preposition indicating "toward"), too (meaning "also") and two (a natural whole number between 1 and 3). You should also probably understand that "there" is a place whereas "their" denotes possession and "they're" is short for "they are".
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this is THE most entertaining sentence I've read all day!!!!

Darnit! And here I was hoping it was my translation that humored you the most. :laugh:

My response really depends on the context. I used to read a lot of Louis L'Amour when I was growing up, and he often wrote in such a way that the character 'read' like they probably sounded. Words like gonna and shoulda. They aren't grammatically correct, but within the context they add to the experience. However, when I get a text from someone saying "how r u 2day?" I refuse to respond to it - if you want to talk to me, speak (and text) in English. Otherwise, don't waste my time.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't mind. I rather be told than continue to make the same stupid mistake.
  • Psychdoll74
    Options
    It happened to me one time. An English teacher told me I spelled something wrong. I was glad. I don't want to continue spelling the same word wrong over and over again.

Other than that, nobody has ever done that to me.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't understand pedantry.

To those of us that do, we say: one posts at his own risk.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I *would* rather ...

Sometimes I correct people if it's a glaringly obvious error, but I usually don't. I'm an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher so correcting people on the internet too often begins to feel like work for me!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Does it tick you off when someone corrects your spelling and or structure in an online forum? Or, do you EVER see it as helpful? What do you think motivates a "grammar Nazi"?
    I don't even get the urge when the entire post is barely English. But, occasionally, an otherwise intelligent and well-stated post makes me wonder if the writer would like to have the error pointed out. I know I would.

I would much rather know than continue to make a mistake that has the potential to make me look stupid. So yes, I see it as helpful when done with good intentions.

When it's done in a way to try to make me feel inferior because I made a stupid mistake in the middle of a debate/argument, it's totally douchey. It's one form of passive aggression that makes me twitchy.

I'm guilty of internally judging people (and their intelligence) who make repeated mistakes (basic) errors (unless English isn't their first language). I know it's a terrible habit, it's knee jerk. I'm trying to stop doing it, but in my head I'm like YOU + ARE = YOU'RE. I'm a work in progress :wink:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I *would* rather ...

Sometimes I correct people if it's a glaringly obvious error, but I usually don't. I'm an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher so correcting people on the internet too often begins to feel like work for me!
    ;) Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't correct stuff usually. I do, however, judge people based upon the way they write.
    lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-2891.gif

SAME.

I think it just depends. Generally I get annoyed with spelling/grammar corrections because I don't think it's done to educate, it's done to piss people off. In arguments, for example. Correcting spelling or grammar mistake as means of a come back in an online debate is super childish. Obviously, bad spelling/grammar automatically diminishes anything someone says [at least to me], so you don't have to call them on it. EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS.

I'm a total grammar-nazi in my own head and am, I think, fairly adept at basic writing, but I also make stupid mistakes once in awhile. Sometimes I'll be typing too fast and not really thinking and will use the wrong there/they're/their or your/you're or to/too and totally judge myself for it. But it happens, we're all human.

ETA that I think I judge people a lot more on sites where they can edit their posts and fix their mistakes than I do elsewhere, because then it's REALLY obvious that it wasn't just a typo and they really don't know how to spell.

Also wanted to ask: Does anyone else regularly look up words before using them just to make sure you're using it correctly or have it spelled right? Because I do this ALL the time. In this post alone, I looked up 'argument' to make sure it was spelled without an 'e', and I looked up 'adept' to make sure it meant what I thought it did. It's kind of like punching 2+2 into a calculator - you KNOW the answer but you have to double check just to be 100% sure!
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to ask: Does anyone else regularly look up words before using them just to make sure you're using it correctly or have it spelled right? Because I do this ALL the time. In this post alone, I looked up 'argument' to make sure it was spelled without an 'e', and I looked up 'adept' to make sure it meant what I thought it did. It's kind of like punching 2+2 into a calculator - you KNOW the answer but you have to double check just to be 100% sure!

i double check a lot and don't think there's anything wrong with it! Much better to be sure you're spelling the word right than just wing it, IMHO.

I used to correct people all the time back when I was young and ignorant. I'm pretty sure it wasn't because I wanted to feel superior, but rather because I love the English language and hate when people abuse it. At some point, I realized I was being obnoxious because it's not polite to correct other people like I'd been doing. This was long before the Internet.

I usually don't bother trying to correct people online because I don't think people care. If they did, they'd take the initiative to work on their spelling/punctuation. Also, it never fails that if I try to correct someone, that'll be the time for my brain to totally forget how to spell every word I use. There are probably 10 misspellings in this post and I'm not seeing them.

(FWIW, I have a reason to be anal about grammar; I'm a writer.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I realize that when 'texting' people will use short cuts, make spelling errors due to closeness of keys, use text speak, etc., and that is well and fine and understood as trying to be quick about communication. When I read online posts with spelling mistakes, and/or grammar errors, I judge the writer's credibility. What is being said (written) is less credible to me with spelling errors. I find that I start correcting the grammar and spelling rather than caring to understand their viewpoint.

I think that is something you need to work on then.
    I don't think discrediting people's point of view because of spelling errors is something to be proud of ( or of which to be proud, if you prefer :tongue: )
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I realize that when 'texting' people will use short cuts, make spelling errors due to closeness of keys, use text speak, etc., and that is well and fine and understood as trying to be quick about communication. When I read online posts with spelling mistakes, and/or grammar errors, I judge the writer's credibility. What is being said (written) is less credible to me with spelling errors. I find that I start correcting the grammar and spelling rather than caring to understand their viewpoint.

I think that is something you need to work on then.
    I don't think discrediting people's point of view because of spelling errors is something to be proud of ( or of which to be proud, if you prefer :tongue: )
    Chris gets up to give a presentation in a new, tailored suit, hair done well, obviously well-groomed, and speaks in a clear, confident voice while maintaining eye contact with the audience.

Pat gets up to give a presentation in disheveled, dirty clothes, hair uncombed and obviously not well-groomed, and speaks in a quiet mumble, all the while staring down at the notes.

Is it your contention that you'd judge both presentations equally, or solely on content rather than including delivery in your evaluation?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I got a new Boss a few years back. We hadn't met him yet. He called a staff meeting in a nearby Training Room. Staff showed up on time.

15 Minutes past the designated meeting time and the new Boss has not arrived. I got out of my seat and walked up to the front of the room.

I wrote on the white board "Word for the Day: Punctuality"

New Boss arrives a few minutes later. Looks at the Board. He then turned to us and introduced himself. Gave a short little presentation, then, as we were ready to leave, he points to the White Board and says, "I would have responded to that if it had been spelled correctly.

I went back to my office and looked up Punctuality on a Web Dictionary. I cut and pasted to an email that I sent to everyone that was in the room, including my new Boss.

Under the cut and pasted spelling and definition I wrote: "It's not important that I'm right. It's important that you know I'm right."
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Im purffekt don need no won kerekting ma grammer or speling
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There are grammar and/or spelling errors in well over half of the responses in this thread. I would encourage all of you to reread your posts and discover them.

I rarely point out others' grammar and spelling errors, but irony is awesome.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I got a new Boss a few years back. We hadn't met him yet. He called a staff meeting in a nearby Training Room. Staff showed up on time.

15 Minutes past the designated meeting time and the new Boss has not arrived. I got out of my seat and walked up to the front of the room.

I wrote on the white board "Word for the Day: Punctuality"

New Boss arrives a few minutes later. Looks at the Board. He then turned to us and introduced himself. Gave a short little presentation, then, as we were ready to leave, he points to the White Board and says, "I would have responded to that if it had been spelled correctly.

I went back to my office and looked up Punctuality on a Web Dictionary. I cut and pasted to an email that I sent to everyone that was in the room, including my new Boss.

Under the cut and pasted spelling and definition I wrote: "It's not important that I'm right. It's important that you know I'm right."

I'm sure the grace you afforded your new boss, was returned to you tenfold. I mean really, without having known his situation, you judged him and called him out in front of the entire office, and then proceeded to continue the pissing match by email for all to see. . He must have thought you were a hero.

What if one of his family members had just died, or a child was sick, or he had been in a car accident? without knowing anything about him, you judged him.

Sorry, but not cool.