Eating before bed

Options
13»

Replies

• JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Nutrition is a sloppy science. The sooner we all accept that, the better off we are. Nutritional studies are plagued with poor self reporting, systematic complications, and tons of other issues.

Find out what works best for you. I personally eat about 30 minutes before bed time every night and I'm doing fine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I am also curious about how the MFP community, as can be seen in just a few posts above this one, will uncategoricaly state that meal timing has absolutely no effect on weight loss. When asked for the basis, the only answer is "science." Someone even commented that just bringing up this topic is akin to questioning gravity. I'm curious to know how that mindset has come about because I think the vast majority of folks who tend to say "Meal timing has no effect!" are basing there opinions on studies related to meal frequency.

I think it's pretty common to make grey areas into black or white and I've certainly been guilty of this myself. You see it a lot on mfp but you also see it in many other places too.

Meal timing and frequency may have some relevance in that it can interact with satiety and adherence and performance and these things matter a great deal. I simultaneously believe that if there are metabolic effects of timing or frequency (again these are separate however they both bring about identical concerns) they don't appear to be significant.

But the previous statement is substantially different than saying "it's entirely irrelevant".

Edit: I'm using the term "metabolic effects" very loosely and probably somewhat incorrectly but I hope the point is made.