WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm trying hard to keep up. This is a chatty bunch. It's so interesting hearing everyone's story. I particularly admire everyone who's working on their fitness. That's next on my agenda but will have to wait a few weeks while I recover from the ablation. I'm getting calmer about the whole thing. That's good news for me...I tend to think about the worst thing that could happen...am always happy to wake up!

Welcome to everyone new.

Lesley, It sounds as though you live in a beautiful place. Thanks for describing it.

Joyce, I like the nun joke. Your sister sounds like a great trouper.

Michelle, I’m glad for your phone call. Kids!!!

Carol, what a wonderful success story. It is amazing how losing just a little (and 24 lbs is actually a lot) can make such a difference. Way to go.

Heather, thanks for the yogurt recipe. I’m looking forward to trying it. BTW, what the heck is Hairy Bikers Spanish Chicken, with mange tout no less?! (Just read your next post explaining about Hairy Bikers Chicken. Sounds much better than the name.)

Deb. I’m thinking about your nephew and praying for a quick recovery.

Gail, aren’t grandkids great?! My youngest is 7, almost 8, I’m wish I could repeat some of the early years.

Hello, Kim from N. California. We’re neighbors. Loved your description of your outing with DN.

Jane, I’m hoping you get a place that’s just right for you and family.

Lestan48, a big congrats on the muscle gain. You are concentrating on the right thing.

Regards.
    Mimi
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, Michelle reminded me of what I was going to write to you. Grandma given the task to talk to a young boy about sex???!!!! WOW, that's a first for me. Why do they think that as a grandma he would listen to you more. I talked to both of my girls very clearly and plainly. My daughter has always been very open and up front with both her girls and they are just 8 and 13, well almost. When we were growing up it was a taboo subject to even bring up to our parents. When my oldest sister went into college my parents gave her a little blue book called 'it's time you knew. She passed that on to my sister that's 18 months older than me and then she passed it to me. I remember I worked at a Baptist national camp in North Carolina, well more of a retreat, and I took that book. It was regular reading for a bunch of us girls all the time. So it just wasn't my parents. When I first started my period, at school of course, my Mom had my sister take me downstairs to the basement to take care of it. Nothing from Mom, just the sister. When my sister had her first kiss she was late with her period not long after and she truly thought she was pregnant. Talking about sex and heart disease was one thing I talked about with my patients all the time. You have to feel them out and see if they are comfortable talking about it but it was one thing they needed to know.

Mimi, yes my sister was quite a trooper. We never had big cars, just made do with what we had. We were on vacation and had picked up my Grandma on the way home. Well the car was pretty crowded by that time with 5 kids and 3 adults. So Donna just asked Dad to stop. They were concerned because she had had to stop before because she was sick. But she wanted Dad to pull over so she could take her arm off and put it in the trunk! Sadly she died when she was 20.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MimiPersists
    Options
    Donna, your sister sounds like she was a wonderful person. I'm sorry you had her with you for such a short time.

I was just jotting down a couple of notes in the "My Home" section of MFP. I thought they might be worth sharing. They have to do with the effect of staying off added sugar. It's been amazing to me.

I still have a hard time thinking about not eating added sugar at all. I imagine people who are addicted to other things, alcohol for instance, have similar mental and emotional struggles. It's easy to see that for someone who is, say, an alcoholic, "just a little" makes absolutely no sense. It's harder though, for me to say "just a little sugar" is just as harmful.

I've struggled so long with my weight and not been able to get a real handle on it. (My ticker shows what I currently am working to lose. It doesn't show the hundred pounds that I've lost over the last 14 years.)

I shouldn't be surprised to find that I literally can't - am unable to - have "just a little." But I am surprised. Partly, I think, because there is little support in society for the idea of being addicted to sugar. We all support the idea that someone addicted to, say, alcohol or cocaine, should not drink or snort "just a little." But, when it comes to sugar, that just seems weird.

Here's what I said on my home page:

"Staying away from added sugar is helping a lot. Very few cravings. Makes meal choices a lot easier. Who knew?! It's funny, I've heard for so long that it was possible to be addicted to sugar. I always dismissed it, thinking I could have sugar in moderation. It's still hard to say, but eating sugary things is just something I can't do. Can't do. Not "don't want to do." Can't do, that is, if I want to be healthy and stick with this for the long run."

Good night.

Mimi
  • MimiPersists
    Options
    Oh, goodness. Why did I say "Donna" in my last post? I meant to say "Joyce." I'll get the names straight eventually!!
    Nitey night.
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello. It has been a while for me. The end of school year always means special meals, BBQs, get togethers etc. I fell off the wagon, hard. Thanks to my fitbit and being very good on the 'normal' days, I only gained one pound back. Still, I thought I would be a bit lighter by now.

We are going on vacation Friday. I will have to make careful choices.

Heather, my son made the Hairy Biker's Spanish Chicken a few weeks ago. We all really enjoyed it. They have always been favorites of mine.

Sorry I am not addressing more of you. I will try and catch up this week.

Have a good one!
  • monicacroth
    Options
    Hello, Just starting to use the MFP's forums for the first time. Prior just used the calorie counter.
    I'm 5' tall and weigh 155 pounds. My goal weight is 135 for now :)
    I turned 50 this year and hormones have done a number on me. Prior to the age of 47 I never weighed above 130. I would toggle mostly between 123-128. I was very happy with this weight as i was still a size 2/4 and it felt good.
    I think the my hormones are the major source of the problem, as I've noticed if I do exactly what I used to do (food/cardio/weights) as before I now do not lose weight, rather continuously gain a bit. This combined with the stress of raising 2 teen girls is probably at the crux at my problem. I have a really good sense for what is healthy eating, but due to stress or boredom don't always do the right thing.
    I need the accountability of a group to keep in check and give me support - so thank you in advance :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,256 Member
    Options
    Monica - welcome!:flowerforyou: Sounds as if you know exactly what you need to do.:happy: I bet those little boredom treats havebeen creeping up!:cry: Logging and weighing absolutely everything can usually:tongue: give us the answer.

Deb - I hope your nephew is ok. Sounds very scary.:flowerforyou:

Jb - great hat and great attitude!

I have got to ring my property management today and I am dreading it. Yuk, double yuk!:cry:
    I'm also going to ring the solicitor about my legacy. I need the last instalment to pay for Sri Lanka and some of the new lease on the property. Money stuff really gets to me, I'm not sure why.:ohwell:

NSV though - I did a record 500 cals on the machines this morning. And I do know that they are likely to over read, especially the rower which is a cheap machine, (the others are expensive and I think more accurate ), but at least they consistently over read.:laugh: Then 21 minutes of strength training gave me 567 total. All I have to do now is eat less!:noway: :laugh:
    Sea bass tonight with green beans.

My beer baited slug trap in the back garden has had its lid taken off and up ended. I suspect those clever magpies. They strut about all over my lawn like they own the place. Perhaps they are drunk on the drowned slugs! ! ! :laugh: The traps work like a dream, minus the magpies.:tongue:

Got to get my brain into gear about the meals for next weekend. I've got DS, DDIL and DGC ×2 for Saturday and Sunday and then DSIL arrives Sunday afternoon with just time to change the bed! She will be here until Tuesday morning. Ive got stuff in the freezer, but will have to make a bit more. Must sit down with a pen and paper.
    I really like to spend time with my guests when they are here so try to keep food prep to a minimum. Especially when I've got the DGC to play with as I like to give the parents a rest and the chance to go out for a walk on their own.:bigsmile: That basically means I plan stuff I can have ready in advance apart from salads etc.

Well, must get on and take DH his morning coffee and shortbread.:love::bigsmile:

Heather in very dry and sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Mimi ~I am a sugar addict, I come from an addictive family.. of alcoholics, and I guess my paternal grandmother and her sister's were sugar addicts too..I know my grandmother didnt drink, but her sisters did, I was pouring cocktails at 4 yrs old..
    I have not got a hold of my addiction and I need to.
    I have been to OA,and ACOA, and probably would do best with a 12 step program but just dont really like to deal with that type stuff.
    well the other assistant is taking the day off so I have to be to work at 8, so I am off... check in with Ya'll later:drinker: :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Forgot to reply yo a couple of people.:embarassed:

Michele - the chocolate fudge cupcakes are basically a rich chocolate sponge made in cupcake and mini cupcake sizes.
    It's the same recipe as I used for the christening cake. It is very rich. 110 gms plain chocolate and lots of butter. The result is to live for!:laugh: Fortunately I am not tempted, but I did lick the spoon and docked myself 50 cals! ! ! ! :tongue:
    I had some frozen butter icing left over from the christening cake so I spread some on two of the cupcakes, sprinkled them with vermicelli and put coloured balls on them.
    DH thought it was his birthday!:laugh: He will have the second one today. :love:

Vicki - if you know someone whose makeup you admire you could ask them to give you a lesson. It might be someone who does it so subtly you can hardly see it. I think thinner people often look a bit haggard without makeup and it can just brighten you up a little. I know I look ten years younger with mine on! Remember, less is more! You don't want to end up lookin like those store girls! But I think you might be surprised at the difference even a subtle look can make! ! ! ! !
    I wish you the best of luck.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I know when I lost the weight it took me a while to get my head around what to wear. The old styles didn't suit me any more and I had lost touch with what is fashionable. I spent some time looking at online magazines and "getting my eye in". It took a while to find my confidence.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Monday:bigsmile: !!!!

It is just a gorgeous day here, a bit on the humid side but not too bad just yet, lots of bright sunshine and a nice breeze! I love summertime:glasses: :love: !!!

Have a great day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC:glasses:
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies –

It is going to be extremely muggy here in Delaware today. I had a nice low key weekend. Went to go see Planet of the Apes yesterday. It was an enjoyable movie, but in my opinion not sure it was worthy of the 3.5 stars it received. A new movie theatre opened up a few miles from our house, it is very nice and clean and has those reclining seats, which makes movie viewing very enjoyable.

My Physical Therapy seems to be doing my back wonders. I was even able to get a slow jog in this morning, did 3 miles in 36 minutes. It’s the first time I’ve been able to job/run in over 2 months.

:smile: Meg - hope the rest of your camping trip brings you better weather. I am also happy when I come across a “cat” in my travels, makes it a little more special.
    :smile: JB – love the cartoon.
    :smile: Kegrip917 – congrats on your weight loss.
    :smile: Michele – I just go the “10 Minute Soluntion Tummy Toner” and have tried 3 of the workouts so far, really enjoy it. Thanks for mentioning it.
    :smile: Heather – great work out success!

Wishing everyone a wonderful week.
    Suzy
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Very hot and humid here; spent the morning on the beach. Saw some amazing diving seabirds. I never tire of looking out to sea---it will just never get old.......

Welcome newbies!!!

Joyce........Sounds like your sister is making good progress; it has to be a relief to you that her kids now know.

Lesley..........YAY for Mildred's improvement! Looked up a map of Tasmania so I can see where you are writing about. I love finding out about other places. There's been one woman who posted here who lives in a town in Canada that had a pool with a heavy glass divider to allow tourists to swim with polar bears!!!! I just thought that was sooooooooo neat!

Heather.........Hoping you got the answers you wanted from the property management group. Congrats on the huge exercise calorie total!!!

Mimi..........Thinking of you and sending good thoughts for success with your procedure.

Dee Dee................Love the new pic!!!!

Wonder if Meg has found her bears yet????

Line dance tonight!
    Stay strong!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic..............mid-90's sunnny and humid.............VERY thankful for ac. today
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    MFPJaneLauraRoriMeg_zpsb5a254ee.jpg

I don't remember how to post a picture, so let's see if this works! The Colorado Contingent met with Meg Blair from Oklahoma on Saturday! We are Jane, Laura, Rori and Meg.

It obviously came out too big, since half of us are cut out. If you know how to fix that, please message me!

Jane in Colorado
  • janehadji
    Options
    Tried again, but it didn't help.
  • janehadji
    Options
    3366ff90-2a60-4d93-9f2b-4ddd2ddce875_zps7a95cd39.jpg

They say that the 3rd time's the charm, so I'm trying one more time. I'm sorry that it won't let me delete the previous posts! We are Jane, Laura, Rori and Meg.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: Your new picture is lovely! Wow!!:flowerforyou:

Kim from N CA & Gloria: Congratulations on booming businesses!:flowerforyou:

Kim: When we were taking our dog though obedience training a few years ago there were some Pitbulls in the class. The instructor recommended a product called a Halti and it seemed to give the owners much better control with less pressure. It is sort of like a halter for a horse, but sized and proportioned for dogs.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I love knowing about The Hairy Bikers/Dieters. I’ll keep an eye out for their book to see whether I can benefit from it.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: It is good to hear that you had an enjoyable ride to Norfolk even though your friend wasn’t there. :flowerforyou:

Jane: Best wishes for a successful house hunt.:flowerforyou:

JB: I’m looking forward to the quinoa picture. I keep imagining sour-dock. (As kids we called it Indian tobacco.) Mariah looks lovely in her hat.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope you solve your phone problems quickly.:flowerforyou:

Deb in NY: I'm echoing Lestan and offering prayers for your nephew.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations on all of your good news. I’m so happy to hear that your sister is doing better, and also that you were able to sing without dizziness.:flowerforyou:

Mimi: I’m glad you made it through your ablation and no longer have to worry about it. I hope you’re feeling tip top soon. I like what you wrote in your blog.:flowerforyou:

Monica: I gained weight during menopause, before menopause, and after menopause. I was a stress eater, nearly always tired, and eating to get some energy. You know how that all works out. I got fat, not energy. This is a good system and the support here is wonderful. Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m picturing your yard full of drunken magpies & laughing at the image.:laugh: :laugh:

JaneHadji: I only post things to my home page because I can’t figure out the Photobucket site.:flowerforyou:

We had a day of rest yesterday and are back at working on DS’s boat today. I need to get into grubby clothes and get ready to be the helper. Yesterday DS helped me with my computer. It had gotten frustratingly slow, so he took everything off, wiped the machine, and put it all back. It worked! I still have all my “stuff” and the computer is back to a reasonable speed.:bigsmile:

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Love the picture of all you ladies. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

One of the things I have done to see what kind of outfits are put together is to go into the changing room in my favorite store CJ Banks. On each changing room stall is an outfit, from the skirt or pants, to the jewelry or scarf. I have gotten a lot of compliments on some of my clothes and I don't tell them that I was just copying the doors on the stalls.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Janehadji - I just love that photo and the smiles!:flowerforyou:

Deedee - great new profile photo!:flowerforyou:

Went to the garden centre to buy 2 more huge bags of gravel for the drive. We bought some white begonias to put in the pot that has the dead hydrangea in it. When we tried to get the pot out it broke! ! ! :sad: Found a bigger one that we had reserved for the bay tree. So they look beautiful now! The bay tree can wait.:bigsmile:

I was going to confess to you all my shame at having procrastinated over ringing my property management.:embarassed: :embarassed: I just couldn't face it.:embarassed: :embarassed:
    Then this evening I got a call to say the property has been let, from the 10th August! Phew! It's a Chinese student who is doing a medical degree and will be paying 6 months in advance because he has no job. :bigsmile: Apparently he is not too fussy and considers it acceptable.:noway: It is fully furnished so suits him.
    I will, of course have it deep cleaned and hope the ex tenant is paying for that. So, one month's loss of money and lots of deductions for management fees, but it is good news. I hope he doesn't leave at New Year as it is hard to find tenants that time of year.
    So I WILL ring them tomorrow!:tongue::wink: :bigsmile:

Bought a bubble sword for DGS at the garden centre. :bigsmile: Great fun blowing bubbles for DH!

I at last got an email from my friend with the secondary cancer.:cry: She is still going, but feeling very tired with the meds. We were so close when I was in London and I discovered my lump at the same time as her recurrence. We texted each other on the same day as she was in Switzerland. She is going to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games with her niece so I hope that goes well. She is a very good children's writer with a lot of books published.:love: I hope to get her down here very soon.:heart:

Heather in flowery Hampshire UK

PS Tried a new sauce from Slimming Magazine tonight. A slimming version of chimmichurri. Delicious and really perked up the sea bass!:bigsmile:
  • KarenNami
    KarenNami Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello! I just joined MFP and am hopeful this will work for me. Looking in the message boards, I enjoyed seeing everyone's posts and thought, since I'm a woman and am 54, I meet the MQ's to chat - so why not. :-) Just wanted to let you know the support and joy coming from your posts are uplifting.

Day 1 for me . . . so far so good.
  • juditsastre
    Options
    Hi guys - my name is Judith - I live in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. I started getting into shape about 8 weeks ago. I started by monitoring and journaling what I eat. I then started to hydrate - I drink 3 litres of water per day. Now I have bought a pedometer and I am starting to add activity to the mix. I have lost 14lbs. and I have accumulated a total of 100,000 steps which is approximately 50 miles in 2 weeks - however the only thing that lost weight was my dog - she lost 5 lbs. - yet I went up in weight - so I need some motivation to keep it all going. Help!!!