WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
j.gifu.gifl.gify.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

:flowerforyou: I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for June?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for July?

:flowerforyou: Please sign your posts with your name (or alias) and your location so we can get to know each other better.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

June Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*brush the dogs’ teeth once a week or more (only four times)
*yoga once a week (only once) :cry:
*plank twice a week (successful with planks increasing to four minutes):bigsmile:
*finish updating “important personal information” document (finished):bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

July Resolutions
*work in the yard twice a week for an hour
*brush the dogs’ teeth once a week
*brush the cat’s fur twice a week
*plank twice a week
*yoga once a week
*strength training once a week

:bigsmile: "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    .....and I'll be the first one bumping in this month. Thanks, Barbie!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,090 Member
    Options
    Joining in........

Lin
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Joyce--Sorry about confusing you with someone else! In regards to peeing all night...Do you retain fluid? When I have fluid retention from too much salt, not enough fluids, standing or sitting too long etc., I go all night long with copious amounts. Evidently, when we lie down the fluid moves along like it is supposed to and ends up in our bladders. And 50+ bladders are not known for their endurance! :laugh:

Good night everyone!

Carol in NC
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Bump-bump. Happy Canada Day, July 1st!
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Renny.

And Happy Canada Day to all.

Eileen near San Diego
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: You are doing the right things. Finding resources to help with a career change is a wonderful idea. A new career path may help you decide where to live. As women, we are usually doing things for others and seldom have the opportunity to choose for ourselves. I think that makes change scary because of lack of practice and experience. :flowerforyou:

Renny: Happy Birthday! :drinker: I’m glad you’re having a good day. It is good to hear that your mom is doing so much better, too. I hope she is able to enjoy every minute.:flowerforyou:

Here we are at the end of the month and it is time to look at how well we did at meeting our goals, and to decide what our next months goals will be. I like to go with what works, so my goals don’t change very much from month to month.

June Goals: with comments
    1. Log every bite and swallow: I wasn’t perfect and I probably didn’t do as well as usual. :noway: I’ll need to do a better job.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week: :bigsmile: I managed to meet or exceed this goal every week, and had fun doing it.
    3. Have fun every day: :bigsmile: :drinker: This was an excellent goal. I’m keeping it. It is important to remind myself to enjoy life, and not let myself get sucked into the doldrums.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more: I’m doing better with this but am not consistent. I need to work harder.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

July Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least three times a week.
    3. Have fun every day!
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well looks like I am in for July also.

Carol, no I don't retain fluids. My ankles are tiny, my fingers ares so small now my rings are on a chain around my neck. I feel like my skin is hanging. But thanks for the input.

Well our heat index is still pretty high and what do we have but a power outage :grumble: :noway: :frown: Plus under the dome was about to start and I still had an hour to watch of the American Ninja Warrior, Japan vs USA. USA was leading. And the power goes out. Now I will never know. So what can a person do when the power is out? Either read a book or get on their recumbent bike which the controls are battery. So I got on my bike. After 5 miles I soon realized that all I was doing was over heating myself and the electric company said it may be close to 4 hours. I try not to drink any liquids after supper and the house was getting warm so I got off the bike. Thankfully it didn't last but about 90 minutes. I used the time to go into the kitchen and make my list of all my medicine that I take, I am supposed to take that along with me when I have my tilt table test Wednesday. Poor Melody, she did not approve of lanterns and candles. Life in her home just did not seem natural. Since she sleeps in my bed I was glad for her that all is back to normal now. But in the meantime I was making my mental list of everything in the refrig that I would have to make a list of for insurance reimbursement if it all spoiled. As soon as the power came on I did download their app so we an notify our outage on my phone. We are always having the search the phone book for their number and then find the power interuption number and go through all the voice menu. Now I have it all on my phone!

You're the best Barbie!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies & happy Canada Day to Canadian friends.

Off to work now.

Geri in England
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Congratulations on all those steps and on the climbing!!!:flowerforyou: I know it felt like a miracle to me the first time I walked up long stairs without puffing! I now tske it for granted, but it really is a miracle! ! ! ! :drinker:

Renny - Holland doing well in the World Cup! !:flowerforyou:

Back later with goals.
    Heather in flowery and sunny Hampshire UK
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A quick hello from sunny Scarborough. Arrived yesterday and it was lovely and sunny so made the most of it and had a good walk about ended the day with over 18,000 steps - no wonder I am tired!

Happy Birthday Renny :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Found the hotel has wifi so can log food etc.

Well I am getting peckish so will go down to see if mum and dad are ready for breakfast. I've been up ages and already been for a small walk to the sea front to watch the waves

Chat again soon

Viv UK :heart:
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join! I'm Deb, just turned 58 and I live in Melbourne Australia.

I'm coming towards the end of my weight loss ordeal (thank god). I've always been relatively slim and healthy, but menopause and 2 broken ankles one year after another resulted in a 20 kilo weight gain in my 50s. Blech.

So I have about 3 kilos to go to reach my goal weight of 57 kilos (I'm 165 cm tall). I'm jogging, walking my giant German Shepherd, going to Pilates, getting on the exercise bike, and hitting the gym.

I'd love my body fat percentage to decrease a bit more: it seems the slowest measurement to improve! My waist got to 92 cm, and is now 77 cm, a healthy size.

Cheers, everyone!

Deb in Melbourne.
  • MancLass
    MancLass Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm up for this. My July goals are:-

1. To use the diary every day
    2. To post every day
    3. To eat no sweets/candy, chocolate, biscuits/cookies or cake - at all
    4. To exercise 5 days a week
    5. To lose 7 lbs
    6. To not end up working lots and lots of extra hours - which keeps me out of the gym/pool/countryside!!

I need a kick-start to get me going and doing it with a bunch of 50+ women seems like a very attractive option!

Manc Lass, Manchester, England
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    June goals were - to lose my pesky pound - done, though sometimes sodium brings it back temporarily!
    To take two trips out - definitely did one and feels like more.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD, :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: - mostly. Getting much better at this!:flowerforyou:

July goals - to get under 10 stone for the first time since 1990.:happy: Below 140 lbs. I want to be 9 stone something! :drinker:
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD,! Yeah!:drinker: This makes such a difference to my life.:bigsmile:

Off to yoga now.. Taking my book of Strong Women Stay Young to lend to my friend.:love:

Heather in dry and sunny Hampshire UK
  • bmullers
    bmullers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Barbara from Dublin here. Just back from 3 weeks in Italy, loads of pizza, pasta and wine. Need to loose about 3 stone starting now. This could be a good motivator. Help please!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've not been here before, but I'd like to join in if you'll have me :flowerforyou:

My goals for July

1. Ditch the pounds and the inch on my waist that have crept on since I got so close to my goal and tried to lose more slowly / maintain.
    2. Aim for body composition - 22% body fat or lower, which means I might not lose weight, but I have the measurements!
    3. Keeping up my exercise regime (4 runs, 2 pt sessions a week and walking every day)
    4. Trim back those calories and then only add a few back at a time, to crack this maintenance issue.

This may take me longer than a month - but having been static for so long, I am hoping a kick start will work.

Have a great Tuesday, from sunny Northamptonshire, UK
  • Dory_Gump2014
    Dory_Gump2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am new to myfitnesspal, and because I am 52 thought this a great place for support. Having just retired to another state (from upstate NY to Delaware) to live with my kids and grandkids (Hubby still in our old home until he can retire) this is a lot of adjusting. My July goals are
    1. Exercise 6 days a week (shouldn't be hard as the grandkids are 1 an 2 yrs old)
    2. Keep the food journal daily ( I do 100% better when I log my intake)
    3. Remember to seize and live in each moment for blessings and happiness abound
    4. Focus on healthy, not the scale.
    Thanks for this opportunity to learn from all of you.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Gloria: good luck with your new plan.

Katie: love my guy; also love being alone in the house. :bigsmile:

Carol: good luck with your plans also!

Yanniejannie: what a story! Glad you had a good time.

Meg: good your dh got seen in time!

Sylvia: congrats on not breathing hard!

Barbie: thanks again for the new thread.

Joyce: you got through the power outage OK, and the app sounds like a good idea.

Welcome, newbies, and good luck.

Having a couple of guys in this morning to talk about some basic remodeling. Have to go to the city later on for a meeting, ugh. I’m really a provincial type. :wink:

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou: