WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: Thank you for the new July thread:heart: !!!

Cynthia:smile: I wish you the best of luck with the renovations, as you know I'm still in the midst of mine! like Renny said HGTV makes it look easy:noway: ! It has taken much longer and cost more than originally planned:angry: ! I value my alone time too, hopefully you'll be able to work out a schedule that works for you both!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!! Hope you'll pop in and chat often!

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!!

Huge,
    DeeDee in humid NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies,

Just popping on to say Hi and Bye; ready to leave in a few minutes for the couple of days in Chincoteague. I think we'll get back before the bad weather down in Florida arrives here by the look of the forcasts.

Lots and lots of newbies; feel free to join in and come back anytime.........Welcome!

Happy Canada Day to all our friends up North!

Not sure if I'll be posting from the road, so stay safe all.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic...........sun is shining, skies are blue
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Welcome to all of the new ladies. This is a great place to get info and encouragement for your journey to a healthier life.Everyone here is very supportive.

I have been busy trying to get things caught up around the house in preparation for my DMIL's visit. She comes on the 11th and will spend the rest of the summer with us. She is 92 and a lot of fun to have around. I want everything to be set so that she can be comfortable and we can have time to do the things she enjoys.

I haven't set goals for several months now and have not been as good about maintaining my healthier life style as I need to be. So here are my goals for July:

Log every bite!
    Eat mindfully.
    Wear my Fitbit every day.
    Exercise at least 60 minutes each day.
    Find 3 things to be thankful for each day.

Hope everyone has a great day. Need to get started on mine as it is supposed to be very hot and humid- neither of which I deal well with! Must get exercise done early. No AC here!:frown: :frown:

Check back later.

Deb A in CNY
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Carol, I'm the one who is on very low salt. I tried adding in a little more salt but my weight shot up, so I went back to my super low diet. I'm waiting for blood test results and to see what the doctor says.

My brother in law said he saw two lizards in the pool yesterday. The pool is right outside our door. I really don't like lizards, so my imagination started running wild. When I was trying to get to sleep last night I heard tiny little squeaks from the other side of our room, and I was convinced there were lizards in our room. I tried to tell myself that lizards probably don't squeak, but it didn't help. So I didn't get much sleep last night. Hubby couldn't hear it. He slept just fine.

I really love Chattanooga! We went to dinner last night in the downtown area, then hubby's sisters and their hubbies went back to the hotel and Bill and I walked down by the river and across the foot bridge. It was beautiful! They have electric shuttle busses that take visitors all over (free), so it was fun to ride around and see the lights and all the shops. We even stopped at Ben & Jerry's and I got a kids scoop of cherries garcia. What a treat!

Well, gotta go get ready for another day. I hope everyone has a great day!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    2315743fm0grymm98.gif

:flowerforyou: :angry: :mad: :noway: I need to start this month back to my strict eating and exercising after a brief break for a visit from Jake’s daughter and family…….I ate too many things that aren’t on my usual plan and don’t want to drift into any of my old ways. I am so grateful for all of you and this thread to come to so I can be accountable and not lose my way.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Welcome to all the new members…how exciting to be making our community even more international. Please keep coming back and be part of the solution with us.

:brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart: :sad: No dogs this morning but so I’m off to walk by myself.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
    averaged 23,000 steps a day in June---that's the one thing I consistently get right:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

I've been a little lazy with my logging and reading for the last couple of weeks. Lots going on at work and at home causing changes to my routine. Hoping to incorporate some time organization and management and get back in the swing of things. Hope you all are doing alright.

Tere in Richmond VA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Tuesday! DH's morning to volunteer at the food bank so I have the house to myself again. We did our morning walk, me with my shorts on inside out. Almost home, DH says, "what's that tag on your butt?" Yes, I love him, but couldn't he have looked at my butt before we left the house?
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    New month and new hope. I am adding more exercise to my routine for this month as well.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    drkatie- Sound so like something I would do!! You are so lucky to get your DH to walk with you. Mine used to go to the gym with me 3 to 5 times a week, but is not anymore. I am slowly getting him to eat better again. Next is to get him to move more!!I am seriously considering retiring before fall. More time to do what we both need to and to help out aging parents.

Deb A in CNY
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Am not sure exactly how this works (groups - joining and reporting in) but am keen to try. My goal every day is a minimum of 60 minutes exercise and I usually hop on my bike for most of that.
  • maggie850
    maggie850 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is maggie. I have lost 40lbs since Nov. I am kinda stuck at my weight. I do 90 minutes of cardio a day.60 on treadmill, 30 on either eliptical or the other machine can't think if name. Anyway I drink protien shake every morning. I drink mainly water if not water the the lipton add in. I have a lot of trouble eating. 1290 calories a day and to eat back what I burn is impossible for me. Looking for ideas
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just a bumping along !! I am off for a 2 mile walk to my Dr. Office this morning for my weekly weigh in...so excited to wear my new fancy Reebok shoe's.... They are sooooooo cushy in the heals, Hubby wanted to know if I joined the shoe of the month club as he picked up the parcel from the front porch on last thursday...hmmmmmm that is something to consider, LOL Nawwwww it will just cause waves !

♥♥

Will report back it is going to be a scorcher today, finaly summer is her in Monroe, Washington
    Carol in Monroe
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Well June (ok and May... and maybe April) was a bit of a write off food wise. I think I got kind of depressed (losing interest in something important to you is a symptom right?) and know I was definitely discouraged and "deflated" by some stuff that happened at work. But so it goes and it's all part of this process.I am happy I have new habits that continued during this "down" time. Making habits is my best bet I'm learning. So in June I:
    1. Attended 3X per week cardio aerobics classes (30 mins aerobic dance-like stuff, then 30 minutes mix of strength training and yoga-like things like planks and lunges plus stretching) = I do this religiously... almost no exceptions
    2. Went to the gym and tread on the mill 3X per week (this one may be less consistent, but usually missed if I have done something like really intense gardening that day or a lot of walking already)
    3. Did lots of gardening!
    4. Went to a swimming pool one time with an MFP friend and did water walking. It was great to try something new!
    5. Got a bicycle. Now to think about actually getting on it!

So the exercise is pretty much down and good. Habits are where it's at for me!

For July:
    1. DRINK THE WATER! Fill a 10 Cup jar with water daily. Start with a glass of water with fresh lemon squeezed in. This goal requires a glass container in the fridge with one lemon quartered and the next lemon on top... right on the front of one of the fridge shelves so I see it whenever I open the fridge door. And I don't like water cold anymore for some reason so the big mason jar (think vintage decor here) sits on the counter with a pretty glass beside it ready to remind me to drink. If I haven't consumed all that water by mid afternoon there is also a really long straw nearby so I can turn the mason jar into a sipper cup. heh heh. So far so good.
    2. EAT REGULARLY (I find breakfast really hard): breakfast, lunch, snack, supper, snack = I already started trying to do this and I'm already not as desperate for corn chips (my last really salty crunchy foible) every night. Subgoal... make the calories count here... lots of fibre, minimize factory processed stuff, eat like my great grandmother would have eaten. It's nice to be in garden season!
    3. Minimum 5 VEGGIES PER DAY. Will allow one to be a fruit ;) In 3 days I've already discovered I can pack in 3-4 cups of lettuce (or mix of lettuce, spinach and kale) in an old serving bowl (and it's a pretty bowl too!) top with some salmon or other protein and I've got a lot of those veggies down the hatch! This goal also really requires me to buy and immediately clean and cut up veggies in containers in the fridge to reduce the barriers when the hungries hit1
    4. Keep up the MFP DIARY!!!! And of course checking in here on my favourite Motivation and Support group :)
    5. EXERCISE: My cardio classes will be reduced to only 2 per week so it will be more important to do those gym workouts 3 days per week, keep gardening, get that bicycle rolling!

Thanks for being there MFPers and wonderful Women Ages 50+ group!
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey Maggie 850! I am no paragon here. No expert. But I wonder if it's not so much how many calories you eat but where the calories come from? I am trying to make lunch an enormous salad. Chew chew chew and lots of fibre and stuff I figure is making my metabolism work harder? And you can load calories into a smoothie. A natural nutrition friend advised me to put coconut oil in smoothies along with yoghurt, berries, bananas, etc. Smoothies are a yummy breakfast or post workout thing. Good luck!!! You can do this!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    HAPPY CANADA DAY!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Deb in Melbourne, Manc Lass, Barbara from Dublin & all Newbies: Welcome to a supportive and encouraging group of women.:flowerforyou:

Deb A in CNY: I want to be like your DMIL when I reach my 90’s. It would be so awesome if my kids and their spouses looked forward to spending time with me. I think your DMIL is lucky to have you in her life.:smile: I retired earlier than I’d planned because of DH’s health problems and I’m glad I was able to make the finances work. I haven’t regretted it.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: It sounds like you are having a great time.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I value this group to help me stay motivated and on track. You are so important in my life for all you do to keep us going. Thank you!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Tere in Richmond VA: Nice to see you again. I hope you’ll be able to stop by a bit more often.:flowerforyou:

DrKatie: Thanks for the grin this morning. DH’s are on another planet. Remember the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus books from back when? At least yours looks at your butt.:wink::laugh:

Carol in Monroe: Shoe of the month club. What an idea! I’m impressed that you walk to your doctor’s office for a weekly weigh in. Where is Monroe?:flowerforyou:

Melodys_attic: I’ve learned that weight loss is basically a math problem. You need to burn more calories than you consume. Being healthy requires more than simple math. It requires good nutrition, water, exercise AND math. Your comment about where calories come from is right on target for becoming healthier. Unfortunately the math problem is in the center of the mix for those of us who need to lose or watch our weight.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

We have a heat advisory today! That is rare for us this early in July. We’ll plan our day to stay cool as we can and have plenty of water to drink. Time to go to yoga.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I would love to join all of you in your July goals! I am 50 years old, will be 51 in Aug.

July Goals:
    1. Workout 5-6 days a week
    2. Incorporate more yoga/stretching into my week
    3. Log my food intake
    4. Scale is bad, clothing fit is good. :wink:
    5. Enjoy life!

Thanks,
    Laurie
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm still plugging along! Happy July to everyone. Happy Birthday Renny!

Tammy in Va Beach
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Patty - congratulations on the new grandchild! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :love:

Welcome to all the new people! ! ! ! ! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I have just finished prep for tomorrow's dinner party for my brother and his wife. Done the yoghourt and vanilla pannacottas. Done the squid stew, which is simmering, and even skinned and chopped the tomatoes which go in the stew at the last minute. DH went shopping for things I had forgotten.:laugh: and bought me lovely flowers to decorate the house.:love: Everything else I will do tomorrow and get DH to spruce up the downstairs. He is the hoover and sweeper guy, I am the lavatory and duster gal. :laugh: Nobody is going to see the upstairs! :laugh: :tongue:

Tonight is roasted butternut squash with bolognese sauce from the freezer, with green beans and a light sprinkle of parmesan. When I got the sauce out I found I had labelled a portion as 260 calories. How forward thinking of me!:tongue: I wanted something eady tonight with all the prep I've been doing and I am off to the WI at 7.20 pm. We are learning about jams and curds and having a Pimms. Will have to leave a few calories for that!

Checked my bmi today. 23.29. Then checked my body fat. 28.27. All in the healthy range for my age which is 64. I think my fat is a bit less as I couldn't put in half numbers so put in the upper number. So my waist, which is 30.5, I put in as 31.
    My annual health check is overdue, but I would like to get some blood results. They have always been fine - no chloresterol problems. My blood pressure on my home machine which is not terribly accurate was 136 over 81. I am on medication for my blood pressure. I know I eat too much salt - my weakness.:cry: Still that's not a bad result - the upper figure is always a bit high. So pretty good all told, but still a little wriggle room for improvement.

But Heather - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD, :laugh: I am so grateful and happy that I have come this far. At yoga today I realised that my abilities are unrecognisable now from two years ago. Any new people, take heart. Two years ago I was a shuffling, obese, out of breath, near cripple. I would not have believed that I could achieve such a transformation. I hated most exercise, and could not ever have conceived of lifting dumbbells! :laugh: Thank you ladies, my Vitamin F friends, Barbie for keeping us together and in line :laugh: and thank you MFP.

Lots of love from a very grateful Heather in still sunny Hampshire UK
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!
    happy Canada day.:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Happy Birthday Renny.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Gonna take Violet out today with her grandpa.She helped with all the cleaning.
    HUGS
    jane:heart::heart: :heart: