WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots going on with all of you!

Jane ... So glad to hear all is well after your tests! And happy anniversary! Hoping you'll soon have good news about a new place too.
    Alison ... Sorry you're dealing with pain ... Praying you have relief soon. I share Rebel Renny's sentiments about relationships ... No one is judging ... It just saddens us to hear because your words indicate that you're upset on occasion. I hope this group lifts you up and reinforces that you are a wonderful person!
    Mimi ... I read the free book you mentioned ... Sugar ... Arghh! I do better without it too. Be patient with your healing!
    Sylvia ... What a sad turn of events...
    Jb ... Beautiful garden and photos.
    Carol ... Hugs ... This too shall pass ... Glad the son understood.

There was more but I'm beat. I'm at my parents house for the night ... It's about a four hour drive from home. Love being with my parents ... Mid eighties ... Just soak up their faces each time I'm with them ... They're visibly aging ...

Went out for dinner ... Salmon was very salty as were beans and a rice pilaf. Seemed to have a lot of oil too??? Then ham sandwiches to boot ... We switched meal times today ...I can feel the swelling! Oh well ... It's just water retention and tomorrow is another day.

Beth in WNY
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the info about the almond milk. I have always wondered about it since I see so many of you posting about it. But the thing is that I just don't eat a lot of cereal. I eat one biscuit a week and that's on Sunday morning before church. I drink water only all day long and if I do make mashed potatoes I do use regular milk, same with oatmeal. But those two foods are also rare. I eat yogurt daily and I like my cheese. So I am getting my dairy.

Sylvia, I almost cried when I read about your neighbors puppy. How terrible. So glad you were there for her and also for you to take care of it. she will need a shoulder to cry on for awhile. I'm sure your dogs can give her some therapy.

I talked to my sister last night. I don't want to make her feel like she is under a microscope with me. She sounded fine, pain level of course is down unless she is up walking. Lying down is very manageable. I just hope it doesn't get built up in her system and she gets confused again.

Well I can't wait to put some outfits together with my new capris. Yes, I have thought that I now need to shop in the petites. I told Charlie that and his idea of a petite is a size 6 or 8 of regular height and he doesn't think I will ever get to that. He doesn't understand that you can get a size 22 petite. When I could get away with it I would buy both my Mom and my MIL a petite since they shortened so as they got older. Gosh, that sounds like me now!!!! Now if I could just get rid of the belly and thunder thighs. In the past when I have gone to Holiday World I have worn shorts and shirt over my swim suit. But my fat thighs matched the rest of my legs. So no shorts next weekend. I guess I will wear one of the capris. I may be comfortable enough to leave a shirt off and just wear the but i think that would look strange. Right now though the 10 day forecast shows a 70% chance of rain. So we may have to have alternate plans to have a fun day for miss birthday girl.

Speaking of birthday girl, we went to Justice for her birthday presents. I know I can go in that store and she will always be happy with whatever I get. She is a walking catalogue for Justice. She gets the same catalogue in the mail that I do so she just told her Mom what she wanted, after I asked for it of course, and Mom took a picture and sent in in an I message. I circled it in the catalogue along with her sizes and went in. They always have the nicest sales ladies and they just took my pictures and found me everything Trinity wanted. I didn't get it all of course. But Michelle got a top that will look real nice with the pants and jacket that I got her so she has a real nice outfit. This store is geared specifically to the tweenager. Well DGD turns 13 next month and I am afraid that when she gets in high school the next year that she won't be satisfied with Justice anymore. Then I will have to find a new store. But Justice has definetely been my comfort zone for a couple of years. And DGD has the figure of a string bean so she wears them well

Well I need to go give my cat a big hug and some loving for Sylvia's neighbor.

Joyce, Indiana
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    I thought I would just pop in and say, thank you for your support and words of encouragement! Working my way on down that scale! :drinker:
    I wanted to see Jb's garden and DeeDee's remodel and I cant see them from my iphone! Garden,is amazing and the remodel is fabulous!
    I had my hand surgery in April and I am STILL waiting physical therapy! :noway: :noway:
    Will see my ortho at the end of July and he's going to tell me that my weight is getting low enough for my knee replacement!
    Boy, what a prize I get! The outcome is good, its just the pain to get there!
    Hugs to all.
    Keep working hard on taking good care of yourselves! Its called self love and you so deserve it!
    XOXO LindaS175:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: The horseback ride on the beach was lovely, but no cantering is allowed so it was all walk and trot.:tongue: It was just as well. There was a low, low tide, and thousands of people and were on the beach, many with dogs off lead or riding recumbent tricycles. It was pretty crowded. My horse was well behaved and I had no trouble.:bigsmile: It made me feel competent. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: DS’s mount was sweet and he liked her, but she would not go past Haystack Rock, no matter who urged her. We went back the other way and she was fine again. We crossed a creek and went down the beach to the other end and enjoyed every minute. The beach was crowded with people & dogs. A few dogs came to investigate, but all was well. People came to investigate too, without problems. This was an AWESOME birthday celebration. .:heart::heart: My actual birthday is tomorrow, but the stable is not open on Sundays’ so the horses can have a day of rest. I like that. They also do some rescues. I like that, too. I’ll do my best to post a picture to my home page.:flowerforyou:

Renny: My mom was in the same town as me during her last months and I am grateful for it. I have no siblings so there was only me to help her. I think I understand a bit about how you feel. Your mom is not alone, but it must be very hard for you to be so far away. Is another visit possible? Sending sympathy and good wishes your way.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jane: It is irresponsible owners who make pets unpopular with landlords. You are not one of the irresponsible ones, but a stranger doesn’t know that. It is too bad and not fair.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I’m sending prayers for your son.:flowerforyou:

Mimi: I hope you’re feeling better soon. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I love to see your posts. Is your computer back and working?

Sylvia: I’m so sorry about your friend’s puppy. :cry: I love the Lion joke.:flowerforyou:

LindaS175: good luck with your knee surgery. I hope you’re are able to get it done sooner rather than later.:flowerforyou:

I’m tired, but happy. My birthday is actually tomorrow and I’ll be 65. I had a great celebration today and I’m about ready for bed. My “sit bones” are feeling the ride, but my legs and back are doing fine so far. Two hours on horseback is a good long ride for someone who has been away from riding for a couple of years while getting her weight down and knee healed. My knee feels fine and so do I.:bigsmile: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tom Venuto, natural body-builder and writer of " Feed the muscles Burn the Fat" book put me onto Chobani Greek yogurt. REAL Greek yogurt with NO added sugar. With the fruit ones the sugar is in the real fruit.
    Just had a wonderful walk with Mildred and up to 10871 steps at 4pm
    MUST add I did body-building 1980 to 2000 and still train with MUCH smaller weights, 4Kg dumb-bells heaviest these days at 66 years
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Linda...you are doing great. I wish you well on getting that new knee.

:flowerforyou: Katla...happy birthday!! I thank you for your thoughtful posts. Ive never been in the saddle. I am impressed with people who know how. My younger sister and her daughter are both very good horse back riders.

Beth...my feet are hot, and I've had too much sodium today. Will be drinking plenty of water tomorrow to flush that out.

mimi...sugar, my enemy. I agree with everything you wrote about the food industry. DH and I went to see the movie "FedUp" recently. I falter and fail, but when I do well, it feels like an amazing victory. I want more of those amazing feelings in my life:bigsmile:

Joyce, I am glad your sister's pain is down. She is fortunate to have you as a sister.

Rori...a pillow with cooling gel. I must look into that.

sylvia...I am so sorry about your friend's puppy. What terrible thing to find him like that.

It's after midnight and high time to go to sleep. See you tomorrow!

Renny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    thank you so much for the heron picture made my day:happy:
    Mimi-thank you so much for all the information.. I am I guess like you. grew up on sugar,my great aunts and my paternal grandmother were all sugarholics.. always baking and having sweet stuff in the house..
    I have to break that chain. I will eat fruit with natural sugar and I do use truvia in my tea,I buy the big box of packets at Sam's ,but have been able to cut down to half a packet in my tea..it is much sweeter than sugar so I try and not use so much..
    I did have a cup of nestle fat free hot chocolate the other day and 20 calories,but Oy it was sweet..so maybe I am shaking the sugar thing..
    we have quite a few farm stands around here, so maybe on my way tot the store will stop and get some fresh fruit and veggies
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, happy Sunday!

I had planned to stay out of the garden yesterday (yeah, right!) :tongue: and get my house cleaned, but you can probably guess what happened. :laugh: I did manage to clean the kitchen and scrub the tub, but that's about it. I ended up watering and pruning for a few hours, and mowed the lawns, then loaded up the dogs and inner tube and headed to the river. I'm proud of myself for figuring out that I could strap the inner tube to my day pack instead of having to carry it! It's a regular car tire tube, not the big truck type, so it straps on the pack easily. I used to need a big truck tube - now my fanny fits fine in the small one...victory! :bigsmile: The river was heavenly. My favorite spot on the shore was unoccupied (surprising for a Saturday) so I was thrilled. Dogs played, I floated around for a long time, bouncing over waves from boats. Lots of folks out there waterskiing, it was fun to watch. Later in the afternoon Red and I played a game of Yahtzee, then drove to the garden to do some watering and harvest a few things. 'Twas a great day.

I'm glad you enjoyed the garden pics! :flowerforyou: I have fun trying to play photographer :glasses:

Mimi :flowerforyou: thank you :smile:

Happy Birthday Katla! :flowerforyou: I hope you'll get a chance to see the pics of the quinoa!

Michele :flowerforyou: I never did find seeds for golden beets. I'll have to order them from a seed catalog.

Sylvia :brokenheart: how sad!!!

This morning I'm going to pick blueberries at a friend's house who lives out in the country. :love:

:smile: jb in overcast Portland who WILL do housework tomorrow
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just read the last page and so many new people. I don't think to many remember me. But I've been away for some time. Feeling sorry for me. Well they fixed me up on thursday put a stent in my heart. The doctors did there job. Now it's up to me to do mine.
    I started journaling and eating right yesterday. So now it's time to do it for more than a day or a week. It's a life time commitment.

see you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Meg: I’m so happy that you are having a great time in CO. Have you had any altitude issues? We’ve done fine when we drive there, but if we fly we have several days of discomfort. We haven’t flown there since we figured that out. It is a long drive but we have the time.:flowerforyou:

Rori: Wouldn’t it be fun if we could use a transporter to visit friends and attend things like the concerts in the park? Where is the Enterprise transporter when we need it?:flowerforyou:

Alison: I love shopping at farm stands when I can. We stopped on the way home to try to get sweet corn, but they didn’t have any so we ended up at the grocery store. There are a number of farmer’s markets in Portland, and one closer by at a neighboring town but it is only open on Saturdays. I did get some great fruit and veggies there a few weeks ago.:flowerforyou:

JB: If you have posted pics of quinoa on your blog I’ll need to try to find it again. Wish me luck. Housework ALWAYS needs to take second place when picking berries at a friend’s house is a possibility.:bigsmile:

Today I’m 65. Wow. I don’t feel older, and I’m gradually feeling stronger and more fit even though my “sit bones” are saddle sore today. I think I’ll take the opportunity to apply for my Pioneer fishing license. I’ll get to fish for free in Oregon! (Except that I’ll have to buy Salmon tags if we’re fishing for them.) Mind you, I don’t actually like fishing, but I do like spending time in the boat with DH, and if I have a license we can catch more fish.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Katla- Riding on the beach sound like so much fun. I haven't been riding in years. Never really knew how. Just rode a friend's horse on her farm.

Jb= Tubing on the river sounds so relaxing. We get to kayak again on Tuesday. Another beautiful lake. Thanks for the pics of the quinoa. I love it. Does it need a long growing season?

Sylvia= Great test results! So sorry to hear about the puppy. Debbie must be heartbroken.

Jane- Glad to hear about the good test results. So sorry you still haven't found a house.

Meg= Sounds like you have had a great vacation!

LinC= I have been wondering where you were! Glad to see your post and that your procedure is done. Hope you feel better! You know you can do this!! Think of you often.

Off to my favorite grocery store to buy some of the staples I can't get locally.

Have a great day!

Deb A in CNY
  • Katla49
    Options
    JB: I found your blog and loved the quinoa pictures. :bigsmile: :heart:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well stopped at a farm stand ,got some fresh raseberries,grape tomatoes,a little baby flat bottom squash,and some organic lemon pepper pasta,figure I will make that and grill some asparagus and have that together one night,
    then I hit the grocery store.. I sat in the car closed my eyes and said a little prayer about steering me away from sugar... read all sorts of labels.. bought ,nectarines, peaches,bananas,blueberries, strawberries, romaine lettuce, sliced mushrooms,I did go out on a limb and bought a chunk of smoked cheddar cheese, but an oz of that with some fruit will be just fine..
    PB2 has added sugar,so found some chunky organic all natural peanut butter m,that just has peanuts as the ingredient.
    bought frozen ezikeil bread, at 5.50 a loaf,but no added sugar,
    baby mozzerella with some of those grape tomatoes..
    did buy the DH his snacks for work, but got them put away in the freezer.
    I was getting a little shakey so after I put everything away I made myself a couple of slices of the ezikeil sesame bread toasted, with some of the peanut butter,a cup of ginger peach tea, and a small bowl of raseberries,blueberries, and sliced strawberries. and am quite full..
    I am just going to keep praying that I can pull off the no sugar thing,I know it will do my body wonders...
    :love:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Katla.........HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! (That's shouting from the other coast.) I have been part of a beach ride done as a fundraiser for a mounted patrol unit.......just a volunteer, not a rider..........and it was tons of fun.

Well, now I'm sorry for complaining about the ticket cost
    Straight No Chaser show was fabulous AND worth every penny. Very glad that those of you who found them on youtube enjoyed them. Starting Aug. 1 they do a long stretch at Harrah's in Atlantic City, then off to Ca. followed by tons and tons of dates in the mid-west and back to the east mid-Nov. Wow, I guess this is a year round job for them now!!! Didn't get home until midnight........late for me, then, of course couldn't sleep.

Dee Dee........So, you dreamed of the group too? A some day meet up for all sounds great. Remember, I did wave from the interstate when we were at Biltmore last fall........

Sylvia...........(((((Hugs))))))) What a absolutely horrific experience for both you and your poor friend; I was in tears just imagining it. Loved the runner joke as it is the standard line of my DD when we are camping or hiking........and being faster than me is not hard!!!

Margaret...........Fingers crossed and good thoughts for your son.........better days coming for him.......

Meg.........Glad your vacation was a success and you had zero bear encounters..........

Lin..............Hi!!! Great to see you; welcome back and hoping for improved health!!!

Rori...........Maybe you will get to see Straight No Chaser someday..........here's hoping!!!

Mimi...........Better days ahead for you; I know how unnerving cardiac symptoms can be---tough, very tough and scary, no doubt about that, (((((hugs))))))) and tons of good thoughts to you. Glad SNC took your mind off it maybe for a bit. Will look for TJ almond milk next time there; thanks for the heads up on that.

Renny/Mimi...........I was trying to manage my mom from 8hrs. away, then moved her in here for the last 4 yrs. of her life. If her dementia had been other than the placid type, would never been able to do it. My paternal GM had the loud, disruptive sundowners sort which I never could have managed in home.

Allison............Verbal/emotional abuse is abuse, period...........no matter if "inherited" (and this is the FIL you are so good to???? Why???). It is totally inexcusable and wrong. The bruises and scars are left on the soul of the victim.. For me, personally,, living willingly with this is inconceivable to me. I would be either divorced or in prison for murder. Growing up, our house was a double; my aunt (mom's sister) and uncle lived on the other side...........he was both verbally and physically abusive to my aunt.........and I both saw and heard (even through the walls) from my earliest days the results. Once, my dad tried to pull him off her...........and she attacked my dad, her fear was so great as was her belief that she "deserved" it.........that was the last time he tried to intervene. I'm not especially religious but certainly pray that my uncle is burning in He!! forever............... now you know where I'm coming from on this issue..........

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Katla. You are older than me by about 8 months.

You know I have mentioned that I put this post on face book every week about the Kimmel girl weight loss for the week. my husbands brother who has kind of ignored his two daughters is one of those Kimmel girls. She was so happy to be inclueded in the Kimmel girls post. She is having one very tough time of it. She posted a picture of herself in a dressing room trying on a top and skort. Couldn't even zip the skort. Now if it were me I wouldn't have put a picture of myself in a dressing room with something on with the zipper down. She is so discouraged about her weight loss. She has had many attempts and then goes back to her old ways. She is a single Mom of a special needs child. I just wish I could help her more. She is pretty short and a size 26 and very unhappy.

I'm sitting here in a pair of my new capris but my legs are freeaing and I don't know if it is worth wearing them. Here I am with 4 new pairs of pants and I'm cold. I have sandals on and maybe that is the problem. I am used to wearing my tennis shoes, well New Balance walkers, and socks.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Katla!!!:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    went to church,walked and got laundry in,gonna chill out today.
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Happy Birthday Katla:heart::drinker: :bigsmile:
    well DH is lying down for a nap with the boys, and I am messing about on the computer.
    had an early dinner I made a nice big salad, with grape tomatoes,bell peppers,romaine and a little rottiserie chicken.. was yummy...
    now just sitting before I get up and make my bed, have a load of laundry in the washer, have to chuck that in the dryer.. and will make it an early night cause my sorry ol butt is going to get up at 3:15 tomorrow morning have my lemon water and off to the gym...
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Warning: Long post ahead!

I'm taking it easy for the next few days so am extra glad to have MFP friends. I think I'm caught up on all your posts! No guarantees for the future because life will, hopefully, get a lot busier. But, for now, I can be a good (although talkative) friend. Feel free to just skip on down to the next post. I do that too sometimes when time is short.

Feeling better today. Hope the trend continues.

Meg, your vacation sounds delightful. Drink up, ma’am! (Water, that is :tongue: )

Sylvia, I’m so sad for your friend. What a terrible way to lose a pup.

Hi Michele, I don’t limit fruit or natural sugars in anything (yogurt, for instance) I’ve been going easier on the volume of fruit though. Last time I made a commitment to losing weight, I was eating a ton of fruit. 5, 6 or 7 servings a day, minimum :ohwell: . I’m thinking, now, that, just maybe:laugh: , that was a little excessive.

I definitely like adding my own “stuff” to plain yogurt (and never the non-fat variety). It's way better than the pre-done stuff. It just plain tastes better. Last night I sweetened the yogurt a little with Stevia then added some chopped strawberries. Heavenly!

Kim, I’d enjoy getting together. How neat that you live close by (at least when I’m in the Walnut Creek area). And Sue’s close too? We’ll talk soon!

Rori, I love having a reason to get going on cleaning up, doing a little decorating, etc. I see you’re doing no-added (assumption) sugar and no wheat too. It’s working for me. Almost no cravings. First time, ever.

I’ll take a look for that book, “Salt, Sugar, Fat.” I liked Food, Inc. too. Maybe “liked” is not quite the right word. The information in the book was unsettling and sometimes upsetting, but always interesting and usable. I shop on the outer perimeter of the grocery store also. Now that I’m avoiding added sugar, I’m even more amazed by the onslaught of sugary non-foods. You’ve gotta have a tough outer shell to get through it unscathed.

If you ever get up this way, I hope you’ll give me a holler.

Hi Beth, it’s disappointing when a meal out is not the way you’d like it to be. Too much salt and oil…aargh. I like some salt but I’d rather add it myself if I want it. I’ve been doing most of my own cooking lately as my folks like to do things differently. I like cooking (mostly)!

I cooked my own dinner last night. My mom was surprised to see that her choice (Beef Stroganoff from Trader Joe’s) was almost half fat. The labels tell all. Well, at least most. The voters shot down the initiative to put GMO content on labels. Go figure on that one. Big Money (the producers) said it would cost too much. Huh? Really?

Joyce, I use almond milk in my coffee and like it. I haven’t been eating cereal but would probably like it there too. The nice thing is that the ingredients are pretty decent and it (at least the TJ’s variety) tastes good. I’ve become somewhat lactose intolerant as I’ve gotten older (boo, hiss) so using an alternative helps.

I still eat whole-milk Greek yogurt. It has less lactose than a lot of other milk poducts, although I think it must have some. It doesn’t agree with me 100% but I can (and do) still eat it. I might give lactase a try one of these days to see if it helps.

Linda, a knee replacement is some reward. They’re not much fun but a friend who had one is able to do pretty much anything now. I hear that there are different types of artificial knees, some with more ability to rotate, depending on what you need. They’re making such good progress. Recovery is no walk in the park though.

Katia, happy birthday! You had a wonderful birthday celebration. I hope today is equally wonderful.

Lesley, I know building muscle is so important for keeping off the fat. God did not make me liking to exercise. Of course, he didn’t have in mind my getting fat either. (Just guessing, here!) It’s awesome that you are continuing with weights. I went to the Curves gym for women a couple of times a few weeks ago. I’ll be heading back there at the end of the month when I can go back to normal activities. It’s kind of wimpy but it's a start!

Hi Renny. Are you feeling better? I hope so. An awful flu virus has been making the rounds here. I’ll check out the movie (Fed Up) that you mentioned. Now there are a couple of things to look into. I enjoy thinking about things. (Doing them too.)

I’m going to digress here…feel free to just skip right over the next few paragraphs (or the whole post, of course). I have a lot of time on my hands so…

I just learned something interesting. This is not sugar-related but might be interesting for someone else too. I recently did the 23andMe genetic testing ($99!). They've got really good creds...it's not a fly by night deal. They give you only genealogical info because of an FDA ruling. (They used to give you a Health report too.) But, you can submit your raw data to any of several online services (Promethease, GeneticGenie, Stanford’s Interpretome, etc.) and get health info. It’s fun and interesting too. Danged hard to understand though.

Anyway, cut to the chase, here. I found out that I have a double mutation to the MTHFR gene. It’s not uncommon but means that I process B12 at about 10% the usual rate. I suspect my Dad and two sisters have the same mutation because, it turns out that one of the effects of this mutation is peripheral neuropathy. And we all have that, to varying degrees.

My feet are getting numb. So are two of my sisters’. My dad’s feet are completely numb, which causes balance and many other problems. I’m thinking the mutation runs in my Dad’s family as his grandmother died from pernicious anemia, which is caused by the lack of enough B12 to make healthy red blood cells.

One thing I’ve learned is, even though your labs might show normal levels of B12 (like my Dad’s do), your body might not be able to utilize it.

My getting the 23andMe results coincided with one sister’s doc telling her my Dad's doc's diagnosis of “idiopathic peripheral neuropathy” was a garbage diagnosis :laugh: . My sister’s doc put her on B12 supplements. I’m going to go that route too (so is my other sister and my Dad) but using methylated supplements because they are more bioavailable. Cheap treatment if it works and, from everything I’ve read, it can’t hurt.

If you have, or are getting (burning, pins and needles, etc.) numb feet, this might be something to look into.

JB, being out in your garden and going to the river to play sound MUCH more worthwhile than staying in the house, cleaning. (Any day!)

Hi Linda, we’re both recovering from having our hearts monkeyed around with. It is truly motivating! Good luck to you. I’m finding that not eating added sugar (I’m pretty strict about it) is making a huge difference for me in avoiding cravings. In fact, I’m even being easier on myself for past digressions because I see that eating sugar made it close to impossible to resist the cravings and lose and keep off weight.

Grandmaille, awesome job! The fresh veggies sound delicious. Eat lots of the good stuff, especially the veggies. Staying off sugar will get easier and easier. And make such a difference. I’m so happy for you.

Katia, "Straight No Chaser" is coming to California? I’ll definitely check that out. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed their YouTubes. They were happy and fun...put a big smile on my face.

You are right about some forms of dementia being easier to handle than others. My friend’s mom was paranoid and having strange hallucinations. She thought her grandkids were stealing from her, etc. etc. So sad as she had been a wonderful grandmother. They had to put her in a home. When she eventually died, my friend and her family were finally able to remember her as she had been before the dementia.

I worry about how it’s going to go with my Dad. One day at a time is all we can do though. I’m grateful that, for now, he’s pretty mellow. He know his short-term memory (and some of his long-term) is shot but just shrugs his shoulders about it. The hardest thing is to get him (the person who was such a jock for the first 85 years of his life) to exercise so we can keep him out of a home.

Another BTW, my Dad was in his 80s when he got his first hole-in-one at golf. We’re never too old!

Yannijannie, I’ve known people in abusive situations. It’s insidious. They don’t start out thinking they deserve the abuse but gradually grown to believe it. If anybody’s in that situation, I hope and pray that they will talk to someone about it and get out of the situation.

It’s funny to think about…I had a good friend who was married to an abusive man. (They were missionaries too, go figure.) They eventually divorced and he went on to marry someone who wouldn’t put up with any abuse for a single minute. It makes me think that getting stronger and limiting what you’ll put up with (given that you’re not dealing with someone who’s totally unwilling or unable to change) can do some good.

I absolutely agree that nobody should stay in an abusive situation. There is help out there.

I hope everyone meets her goals for the day. I’ll try to keep that word of Margaret’s in my mind: Contentment.

Best regards,
    Mimi
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    To all my lovely friends - I have read all the posts and my thoughts are with you.:love::flowerforyou:

Katla - Happy Birthday!

That's about all I can manage but I was touched by so many of your posts. I am absolutely exhausted. Happily worn out with gorgeous grandchildren, but beyond coherence.:tongue:

Linda - of course I remember you! :flowerforyou: My ex has just had a stent put in.

Happy days and enjoying DSIL'S company now. We are off to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard in the morning.

Love to all, Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • Cheryl_Ann62
    Cheryl_Ann62 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think im really confused about how this forum works...after I post..I cant find it..lol Id really like to join in and be a part.