WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: thanks; I plan to! Because in the months afterwards the s*** will hit the fan: job decisions, some remodeling, my guy is moving in and I may be closer to getting my new knee. So I need to rest up and enjoy before everything starts happening at once!!

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Lesley sounds like your wallabies are like our deer. (Eat everything in sight if you do no stop them.) Farm sounds lovely.

Sylvia agree cherry tomatoes are like candy. Our are still green at the moment. The doctor I go to had me set up an online account so I could access my results when they come in. I guess it does save them time and me some frustration. I just have to remember the pick the flower password.

The story behind pick the flower is at lunch yesterday one of my teacher friend teaches at a junior high. She was telling the story of how the superintendent came and got quite upset on how they were treating her. She would say to the students don't you know who I am. Wait for it....Their response was pick your flowers. We at the table decided pick your flowers was a much better way to say the word they chose. I am substituting that phrase for the word too. Otherwise this post would probably be reported. Needless to say she (my teacher friend) had us in stitches with her stories. :laugh: Next year she will be head of the teacher union. I am quite proud of her.

Heather thank you for that timely reminder to be kind to ourselves and others in times of crisis and other times too.:flowerforyou:

Today we will meet with the lawyer about setting up a trust, power of attorney, and living will, so tomorrow if a crisis occurs it will be easier to handle than without these documents in place.

Why a power of attorney is important is if your spouse or you becomes incapacitated for any reason you do not have to go through the legal and time consuming process of legal guardianship. You do have to trust the person you give power of attorney to because it gives them legal power over your life.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Although I've been keeping up with my reading, I've not taken time to post both due to lack of time and lousy mood. I am so overwhelmed with house stuff that I am having to fight being paralyzed by it. My handyman has not been able to move as quickly on tasks as needed and my bathroom has new tile on the floor but no finishing work done to it, a ceiling needs to be painted in the last room that needs to be organized (can't arrange furniture, etc. til painting done) and the whole house needs to be cleaned after the tile work dust AND the realtor is coming tomorrow at 1 p.m. to take pictures of the house so it can be listed. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

So, for the most part, I have eaten pretty well. I've missed my step goal a couple of days but have gotten in plenty of exercise from stooping, squatting, bending, lifting, etc. I crawled around on the hardwood floors in my daughter's room and scraped various "things" stuck to the floor so my knees hurt considerably yesterday and I just couldn't manage too many steps after that because of the pain.

Today I have to pick up the handyman as soon as I get off work, buy any supplies he needs, get him started, drop off a full load of stuff at Goodwill, haul a chair to the curb, pick up another chair and put it into place, take two pieces of furniture to my daughter's (second floor walk-up built in the 1920s with stairs barely wide enough to walk up), arrange the furniture in the room being painted, take handyman home, then clean, clean, clean. I told my son not to expect to go to bed tonight. Please pray for both mental and physical strength and that I don't strangle the boy child.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Sylvia - the golden years joke made me snort!

Off to prod my coworker to get me the information I need to get my work done today!

Carol in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cindy, I still can't figure out how I can be so old and creaky on the outside and still feel like a confused 16 year old girl on the inside. And Happy Birthday! Mine (59) is on the 27th. Congrats on maintaining the 125 pounds! I would be floating on air if I was that small. My goal is 145 and this morning I hit 192.2. So I have a long way to go.

Alison, pets do cost a lot, but you're right that they are worth it. We once spent thousands on an old rescue dog with heart disease, but it kept him with us for another year, so we thought it was worth it. He was my heart dog. Those of you with dogs will know what that means. Sometimes when we get back from a trip we wind up paying more for the dogs' lodging than our own.

YannieJannie, I have dreamed about our group before too. I just think that shows how much we think of each other. Our high yesterday was 75 degrees. Unheard of for the middle of July in Kansas. We enjoyed it so much!

Today is the last day for this session of swim lessons, and today I will get in the pool with the kids. It's "parents day" where the kids show the parents what they have learned. I feel sorry for the kids whose parents just drop them off and don't stay to watch or do the parents day, so I'll probably be a substitute grandma for more than just my three. They can show me what they learned too.

I'm down another pound this morning, despite having gone over on calories yesterday. Go figure. I had been so terribly worried about my salt intake, but my blood test said my sodium level is right where it should be, so I guess I'll continue as if I knew what I was doing. I might go even lighter on sugars now though, since my blood sugar was 99.

So, I have to go get ready to swim! I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Carol be kind to yourself. :flowerforyou: The process of selling a home is hard. My son is going through it right now and it is hard to watch his struggles.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, happy birthday to you on the 27th! :flowerforyou: I agree with everything you said about our pets. We have spent a lot on ours too. Just one left right now and she is on meds that cost $100 each month. We take her on our trips too. I know exactly what you mean about your heart dog, I lost mine last October. :sad: I'm glad I'm not the only one who still feels like a kid on the inside. :smile: also, you have come so far on your journey, be proud of what you have accomplished. I know you will reach your goals! :flowerforyou:

Cindy in OK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane M: Good luck on you mammogram and on house hunting. I’m sending good thoughts your way.:flowerforyou:

Pamela: I agree that plane crashes are devastating. DH read that “they” suspect it might have been shot down by the Russians or Ukraine forces. Shades of the bad old days. I hope you didn’t have personal friends aboard.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Congratulations on winning your debit card. Spend the money on yourself!:flowerforyou:

Mimi: I’m so happy for your good news.:flowerforyou:

Leslie: Your home sounds like a beautiful fantasy, although I can’t imagine living so far from town. Years ago my MIL accused me of being a “town girl.” I guess she was right. However, having paramedics minutes away saved DH’s life twice last year. Both times he was having severe insulin reactions and needed an IV and intravenous glucose. I still have fantasies about living in the country but realize they’re likely to remain fantasies. I enjoy your descriptions of home and country life.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: Our little town has a concert series during the summer and yesterday it featured a salsa band. The bandstand was surrounded by dancers of all ages. Last week we had a Cajun band. There were lots of dancers then, too. We started the will process with our attorney months ago and haven’t followed through yet. My fault. You reminded me why we need to do it.:embarassed: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Your tomato vines sound like they are healthy and productive. We’ve had five ripe tomatoes so far, but there are millions of green ones on the vines. In a few weeks I won’t be able to keep up with them. It sounds as though your doctor needs a better staff. You might want to mention the situation to him directly the next time you see him--or send him a copy of your web post to us. I love both of your jokes, but the madman on the freeway is special.:laugh:

JB: I love your flowers! What a beautiful yard.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: As a dog owner, I’ll say that dog bedding gets dirty, especially in winter. It is nice to be able to wash it from time to time. It makes good sense to put sheets over their beds because it is a LOT easier to wash sheets than the whole bed.:flowerforyou:

Cindy: In my head I’m still a kid, too, and I’m 9 years older than you. Being a “kid” is an attitude and a choice for those of us who are relatively healthy. I count my blessings and I’ll bet you do, too. I feel a lot more kid like now that I’ve shed 70 excess pounds. My joints bless me for it. Our pets are worth every cent we spend on their care. They bring so much joy into our hearts and lives.:flowerforyou:

Carol: I feel your pain. Getting a home ready for sale is an enormous stressor. I’m sending good thoughts your way.:flowerforyou:

I have things to do. I need to make a reservation to go riding at the beach tomorrow, and I also need to help DH get the sailboat ready for company. We’re having houseguests and it will be needed as a bedroom.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~Off to do mammogram and possible ultrasound.
    Hubby and my 21st anniversary,going out after.
    Have a good one
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well shock of all shocks, I got to read the posts this afternoon and not at night time. My daughter called today and wants to plan them coming over for our annual day at our local amusement park. It has the feel of all the big amusement parks like Kings Island, Six Flags but has been able to keep the small town feel as far as friendliness, It has world renown roller coasters, a lot of international awards for those but yet offers free parking, free unlimited soft drinks and sun screen. They have these little huts set up all over the place that have the soft drink machines and you go in and get your own. I wonder if that is one reason that this area of the country is one of the highest in obesity! But they also have ice water in these little huts. I get there early enough so I can rent a scooter. I know I have a lot more energy but the area is built on a lot of hills and with the heat and my MS, well lets just say I need a scooter. At the same time they come up we have a little birthday celebration for the oldest grand daughter who will be 13 this year. They want to invite her best friend to come with her as their birthday present to her. They are really close and I worry that if her best friend is with her then our grand daughter won't want to spend as much time with us. They take care of this girl each weekend and the younger grand daughter is also very close to her. They frequently sleep in the living room so all 3 girls can sleep in the same bed. I have enjoyed so much the closeness I have with my grand children and know that some day we will lose that closeness but I'm not ready to yet. This young girl has been brought up as a latch key kid and is very independent and my girls aren't. She also has a lot of habits and fashion trends that are not what my daughter has taught her girls. But they hope that with the time they spend with her that they can be a good influence on her and eventually her mother.

I hope the weather is a liitle warmer next weekend. We are in the upper 70's, lower 80's all day now thanks to a low that Canada has sent us. It's like an early fall. I can't imagine spending all afternoon at a water park. As hot as it is when we go each year the first ride we do every year is the white water rapid ride so we are walking around in wet clothes to keep us cool.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Jane - good luck with the tests and Happy Anniversary!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Mimi - so glad to hear your procedure was successful. :flowerforyou:

Katla - hope all goes smoothly with your house guests. How great to have a boat to put them in. My ex has a canal boat on the Thames he uses as a guest bedroom. You are far more cool than I am about having guests. I get into such a tizzy.:tongue::flowerforyou:

Jb - lovely flowers! I really want to see that quinoa plant. I love that stuff.:flowerforyou:

Congrsts on all the lbs lost, especially those who are near target. I am still stuck on 140 lbs, which is great, but I would love to get under by a lb or two.:wink:

Amanda - I am so pleased you are back posting. Please look after yourself.:flowerforyou:

All my prep done, I just hope I sleep tonight. We are on thunderstorm warnings and heatwave. I bet the rain misses us! :grumble: Apparently there were over 3,000 lightening strikes last night! I used to live in London in an area which holds the national record for rainfall in an hour. 1975. I remember it well. Like a waterfall. The following year we moved into a house that had been three feet deep in water and all the ten foot brick garden walls had been swept away in a tidal wave running down from Hampstead Heath. My friend had been caught in his basement garage and was up to his waist in swirling water and had to climb out through a window. This is in North London! Here's hoping tonight is a bit calmer!

Love to all. Heather in humid and hot Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! Well today is to be our last day of this cooler weather and the heat is back on tomorrow. I have sure enjoied having the windows open. I have the weekend off and planning to get things done at home. Sunday going to a biker Sunday at York and then to visit a nursing home over there. It will be a full day and to be in the 90's. Know I could not have done this last year, so looking forward to it. Last evening we rode the bikes to York (45 miles) for the CMA meeting over there. They meet at this cafe and eat first. I over did as had a piece of apple pie. Put me over, but it was sure good. We are not working in the funnel booth deal on Sunday and I am glad. Not only would it be really hot, but I love funnel cakes and have not had one for along time. Best just to stay away from them.

Cynthia--Congrates on your NSV, thats a good one.

Allison--Hugs! and prayers sent to you!

Tina--Happy b-lated anniversary. Hope you had a great day.

Went shopping for school supplys for several of the grandchildren. I enjoy that and I am hoping giving them some good memories. Have to get the ones for the two boys in Iowa ready to mail. I also bought myself 2 pairs of pants for work and a nice shirt. I feel like I am turning into a clothes addict. Have to look everytime I go into a store.

Jane--Happy Anniversary. prayers for your test and home hunting.

Mimi--glad you are feeling so much better.

jb--interesting thought on the golden years

Carol--wishing you luck on getting everything done. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Today is my short day and planning to walk home. DGD that had the baby last week called and wants to borrow $100. Her DH just started a new job and they need to pay the light bill. DH said just give it to her and I have mixed feelings about it. She is our first grandchild and I love her dearly, but the guy she is married to just does not feel the need to work. She works most the time and he will not even watch the one boy. Now she is off with the baby. I do so worry. It's not the money, even tho that is alot to us. I just want her to be ok and not have to live this way. I talked to my ex-DIL, her mom, and she is going over tonight and check out what is going on. We plan to go over tomorrow to take her the money. Please say a prayer for them. Thanks for listening.
    Well enjoy your day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Levels 2 and 3 of the 30 Day Shred DVD. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some HIIT. I have this app on my phone that makes a buzzing sound when 30 seconds (for my sprinting) are up and then it goes again at 45 seconds (when my recovery is up). Haven't done that in a while

Tuesday the mom of the gal who we play mahjongg at on Monday nights passed away. She's going to cancel mahjongg this Monday but one of the other gals asked if we could have it at my house. Not a problem so it looks like we will.

Renny - feel better fast

Joyce - I absolutely LOVE that pic of you!

Alison - I'm so sorry you're still in pain and hope that the meds kick in real soon for you.

Tina - happy anniversary. Have fun during your day. It looks like great weather.

Exercised and then Vince and I went outside, finished cleaning up the rock on the side where we put in the drain, then went in the pool. Went to WalMart since Vince had to go to Lowe's hardware, had dinner, now making those pork chops that needed to marinate. They're supposed to be on the grill but it's too hot to grill so I'm putting them in the broiler. Made salmon for next week, now have chicken breasts in the oven

Eileen - sounds like you had a great time. I'm so happy for you

Tina in MD - one time when we still had the yoga class on Saturdays, it was SOOO cold that I wound up doing my yoga in my coat. That was a first for me. Since then the Y changed the time for the yoga. It probably would have been nice if they had informed the instructor

Jane - happy anniversary. Sending good thoughts your way for tomorrow.

Pamala28 - Congrats on those capris fitting! That's awesome

Mimi - so glad your ablation went so well.

DeeDee - your pic looks so fantastic! You're right, this weather HAS been fantastic.

Tomorrow I'll go with Vince for his pre-surgery meeting. At first I didn't think I needed to, but it seems that it is somewhat extensive a meeting and he will need someone to drive him home.

Leslie - what an interesting story of how you got to Tasmania. Thanks for sharing it

Oops, it's Friday now. Did I forget to post yesterday?

Anyway, did an hour of HIIT today (30 sec sprint, 45 sec recovery). Stopped at Bi-Lo to get items on sale then to Big Lots to get bread for Vince and checked out Beals' Outlet (they didn't have what I was looking for) Went with Vince for his pre-op exam and they didn't put any drops in his eyes, I'm surprised. Now home. I'm a bit tired and that's translating into wanting carbs, I'm trying to control that.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the "I Want That Body" by Tammy Lee Webb DVD, then go to the farmer's market. Hope the guy with the good corn on the cob is there. When I went last Sat. I should have gotten more corn. As I was cooking it, Jess was eating it! Then I need to take my car for an oil change.

Sylvia - you can always send me some of those tomatoes. You don't want them to go bad, you know....lol Actually, so many people are giving away things from their garden right now, that I won't be buying any cucumbers for a while. Glad you were able to get your results directly from Quest. Sometimes that's what you need to do. Congrats on the great results! Happy early birthday. How nice of you to be a substitute grandma to some of the kids

katla - I had a similar problem with the office staff at my previous doc's. I mentioned it to him, but, unfortunately, it really didn't go anywhere. My suspicion was that they were hiring and not paying a lot. You get what you pay for!

Jane - happy anniversary. Good luck today!

Heather - how horrible for your friend! Glad he got out

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Must have missed this:

CynthiaT60 - have a great vacation

Cindy in OK - I always say "you're as old as you feel and I feel 39"

Michele in NC
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This looks like a good place to make friends and find support. i'm 60, been on MFP for a year and have lost over 40 pounds. Some friends have come and gone and I would like to find some 'new blood' to help my progress.. Thanks!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,779 Member
    Options
    afternoon friends~
    I feel lousy... probably the dam- prednisone....
    I feel bloated,sciatic nerve still bothering me, I didnt take a muscle relaxer because I had to work...
    I have it all in me now and even though I ate ok ,I am still starving..
    What a blessed mess...
    I cant find one of my car keys and of course the old man is having a tizzy.. he lost one and had another made.. and the other ones showed up.. but did I yell at him nooooooo.
    i am not in the mood to go hunting the key down now.im sure it is somewhere..
    will catch up with you all later:heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vicki, it's tough when people you love made bad decisions. Sometimes they are less than truthful also. My brother learned that when giving his son money. He learned the hard way that the best way to handle it was for him to take the actual bill and pay it instead of giving the money for 'a bill'. For his son the money wasn't for a prescription or bill but for his drugs.

Allison, sorry you are having a bad day. Your marriage is a lot like mine and I do a pretty good job of ignoring it but it does get hard.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind thoughts. I feel a little better each day. It's been amazing, really. I still have another week and a half of pretty much no activity, then away I go. It's been so nice to see all your caring comments. I don't feel as though I deserve them as I've been gone so long. Nevertheless, I'm very glad for them.

I managed to skim the posts...won't try to respond to each one. Though, Vicki, yours struck a chord with me. I haven't been in that situation but I can understand how much it would hurt. I like the idea of paying the actual bill rather than just giving the money. That sounds practical and helpful. Hopefully, it wouldn't sound untrusting. (Of course, if you think the money might go elsewhere, I wouldn't worry about the trusting part.)

I'm still doing well with the "no added sugar' and "no gluten." I think eliminating all the sugar is making this so much easier. Almost no cravings. That's something of a miracle. The "no gluten" is more because I tend to load up on butter, mayo, etc., when I eat bread and so on. I'll probably relax that rule eventually.

Very best regards,
    Mimi
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    SO pleased the rain stopped and sun shone yesterday. Washed all our and dog's bed sheets and doona covers and dried on line, iron today. YES I iron bed sheets lol
    Dragged the Wii out yesterday and did Gold's boxing in afternoon. The beagle dog had 2 long walks with tail a a wagging.
    Going to do jeannette's cardio kick-boxing shortly and walk doggy 2 mile up the road after lunch.
    Going to drive to Ulverstone for walk along river tomorrow and ten visit neighbour so beagle can play wit her 3 dogs.
    Will catch up later, reading everyones' posts

Joyce, Indiana, lol.
    Mildred Beagle is 11 1/2 and VERY particular. Stan worked in a bedding factory in Melbourne before we retired in 2005. His friend made a small mattress for Mildred and she sleeps on 2 elderly doonas with covers and a pillow with cover, lol. Her bed is in our bedroom. yes one spoilt little girl and we love her dearly. She sits on the lounge with Stan in an evening for cuddles. We wsh her doona covers whern I wash ours and put her doonas on line to air.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Once again today was not the day I had time to respond but I didn’t miss reading everything you had to say. I was great to be back teaching my line dance class today after being off for two weeks (July 4 and our trip to Boise). We danced a lot of my favorite dances. There was some sad news shared by some of my friends and I realized how close some of us have become because of our mutual love of dance. I feel equally close to all of you.:heart:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: 22,000 steps today—yoga for the first time in weeks

1836545mblph7p32e.gif

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends! Big welcome to the new ladies. :bigsmile:

I just finished my 10,000 steps and drinking an entire bottle of water, trying to counteract the pasta I had for dinner. A large portion of whole wheat pasta with olive oil, garlic, and basil and grilled chicken. Yummy! But way too big. I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

I have been reading and re-reading those blood test results from yesterday, and just can't resist bragging about them a little bit:

Total cholesterol- 152 (range 125-200)
    HDL- 53 (range >46)
    Triglycerides- 91 (range <150)
    LDL- 81 (range <130)
    Ratio- 2.9 (range <5.0)

When I started trying to lose weight and get healthier my total cholesterol was over 270, so I feel like framing this thing. I am on Lipitor, but I hope at least part of this change is from eating better.

Tomorrow I'm going to an art museum in Springfield MO with two friends. That should be fun. Hopefully I'll get plenty of steps.

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia
    (The joke today did not make any sense at all.)