WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Today I took the mental health group I run to a local farm. We learned to use the herbs and some of the flowers and things growing there to make flavoured vinegars. We also made salad dressings and sampled a lot of different kinds of lettuces. Did you know there is such a thing as red romaine? It is a very deep purple. How about Oak Leaf lettuce? Yep, the leaves are shaped like oat leaves. Yummy and healthy. Even better, I walked back to town from the farm. It took a little over an hour. It was hot but the wind was very strong so I didn't feel that hot. I also took water with me. That was very necessary. I was still able to function all evening, so I am happy to be in better shape than I can remember being ever!
    I went out tonight and bought a hose and nozzle. It will mean less steps watering the garden but, I guess, more lifting and winding of the hose. It really had to be done. The watering can hauling was becoming ridiculous.
    I met my water drinking, regular meals, exercise, veggie eating and recording goals today. yay!
    Good night from Canada's East Coast :)
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, My goals are to lose 5 lbs, also I started the couch to 5k and want to finish it so I can run my first 5k at the Cocoa Beach turkey trot on Thanksgiving day. Looking for support systems and a social group to share with My name is Mary Ann. I am 58 yo young. I am a hospital Run . Happily married for 20 years. I have 2 grown like and we are raising my 4 yo granddaughter Chloe. I hope to check in daily God bless and Good night Mary Ann
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Been uber-busy. We helped Jessica move into her place, and ever since then I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get caught up.

Her place is on the 4th floor and interestingly, there wasn't an elevator. It's not like it's an old building, either. The whole town is only 50 years old. I think her building was built in the 60's or 70's. I would have thought that with the ADA rulings, there had to be an elevator.

Did exercise every day while we were away and have been each day since getting back.

Welcome everyone new

Going to call to get Lexi set up for the radioative isotope treatment.

Suzy in DE - glad everything was negative from the MD
    bj - I never add in my exercise calories. Gives me too much of a false sense of security.

Robin - so glad Bodi is doing so well.

jane - glad the path results were good. Sorry you're having issues with renting. Everything will work out

Sherry in So CA - happy birthday!

Meg - I have no idea if Diana is controlling Bryan's email or not. Remember, we weren't allowed to talk to her! My suspicion (and it's only a suspicion) is that for whatever reason Bryan has it in his mind that he's king and makes the decisions. Maybe he's just making the decisions that he's allowed to make, I don't know. He made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

CynthiaT60 - hope you're feeling better by now

katla - hope you hear from ds

sansyteach - so sorry for your losses

mimi - good luck with the ablation

Renny - so glad your mom is so much better now

Sylvia - sure hope your toe is OK

Geri in UK - sorry to hear you are in pain

Meg - sure hope you feel better fast

Goria - congrats on getting that pool. I know you'll love it

smwert - happy anniversary

Jen from NY - I know what you mean about having to skim to get caught up. that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

Right now Lance is giving me a VERY hard time about taking his insulin.

Phew! caught up. Now to keep up, that's going to be the tough part.

Nite all.

Michele in NC
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh bump this thread! I've just found it and I'm going off to thimk about my goals for July.
    I'm so happy to meet you ladies! You sound like fun!

(Goals:
    1. Meet fun people. -check!)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Vicki – sorry you are feeling down, hang in there! Sometimes a hug helps (((hug))) there ya go! :flowerforyou:

Tatiana, missingmom, shortyblueyes,ridewithless and others who’s name I missed – welcome

Joyce – wow – what a wild test, but after all of that - - what does it mean?

Meg – the DH and DDoggie have the same skin thing ?!? ok that is weird – giggle; I am sorry to hear that work is so frustrating and then shopping did not help. Take care! :smile:

Janemartin – sorry it is so hard to find a place!

Katiebug – I would be worried too! - later he’s home YEAH!!!

Sandy – how frustrating, I hate throwing away food too, and like you the budget is tight. Could you freeze the meatloaf? I cook for one so when I make meatloaf I cut it into slices and put them in zippy bags and freeze them – so I can just take out one serving at a time. :wink:

Lestan – hope your tummy is better

Margaret – aren’t pups the best!

Joyce – families are difficult – we hope for the best, do the best we know how as adults in kids lives and then face the challenges.

did really good today on the eating - there are a ton of veggies in the fridge, and I made a great salad for dinner... added some sliced turkey and done!

Today’s step count: 11,000 (there was a reset in the middle so a bit of a guess)
    Kim from N. California
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This turned out to be a crazy day. Not enough time to eat. Weird but true.

I scanned your posts quickly. Katie,I went from sad about your kitty to laughing because you'd found him. I'm so glad.

Barbie, thank you for your wise words. It's funny how important some people think it is to let you know that you really should eat everything in moderation. I went to Curves this morning and was overall very pleased with the intro. However, the instructor told me that a recent study had shown that, when people had a craving, they did better in the long run to satisfy it earlier on rather than wait til it built up.

I loved that I had an answer to her, which was that, for me, it would be like telling an alcoholic they really should just have one little drink now and then. I'm laughing, partly at myself, to think about it. It's new to me to say I just plain cannot eat certain things.

You mentioned gluten. I know that a lot of gluten substitutes can be harmful, even non-GMO corn (for the higher-glycemic load) and brown rice (for the arsenic among other things). Right now, going gluten free is working for me, partly because when I don't eat bread I don't want a ton of butter!

I had some tortillas this week but that's a seldom thing. I'll be careful not to let a bunch of unhealthy foods sneak in. My biggest challenge will be to add more veggies. (This from Sister Veggie Queen!) I'm not going super low-carb either. Things like sweet potatoes still fit in with what I want to eat.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I'll probably be scarce around these parts for the next week because we're leaving for Graeagle (vacation) in the morning.

I'll be thinking of you all and working hard to stay on track. This will be a real test of my conviction that I need to stay away from certain foods.

Mary
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    p.s. Sandy, I don't know your circumstances but I wonder if it's time for each person to buy and cook for herself? I have to do that even now when I visit my folks because their schedule and their food choices are different from mine. We've gotten so its completely comfortable. (We do share occasional meals.)
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I dropped out of MFP a while ago. I am just starting up again. My July goals are

1. Brush dogs and cat teeth once a week
    2. Brush dogs and cat once a week
    3. Walk 3x with dogs
    4. Post food at least 4x a week.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Alison: sorry about the water problem and sick child. It sounds like there were some good moments in there, too. Hope you slept well. Happy birthday! (Bit late.) Carol has a good point: enjoy the food you made and have fun.

Kim: more than 15,000 steps: wow!

Mimi: is there anyone not interested in fireworks who can stay with the dogs? Somehow imagining them alone during fireworks doesn’t feel good to me. But maybe you’ve done this before and it worked out. Hope you figured the app thing out.

Rita: hope you’re doing OK.

Vicki: you’d have to do a whole lotta binging to get back to where you were. Hope you’re feeling better today.

Joyce: when do you get to talk to them about the test results? Sorry to hear about the frustrating family problems.

Meg: so sorry. I know about being angry to tears. Sounds like there may be something growing in your yard that the dog’s getting into, too. Let us know.

Jane: thinking of you.

Katie: I know the feeling (cat); it’s terrible. So glad he’s home!

Michele: glad you’re back!

A couple days over my calories and a "regularity" problem have resulted in a bit of a gain. Must be extra diligent to get that off again.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!:flowerforyou:

Another lovely day in Hampshire! :angry: For me it just means lots more watering with the cans.:grumble: Wish I could persuade DH to buy a hose. Our water is metered so he is not at all keen. We had a day off yesterdsy with my brother coming, but have to get back to it.:frown:

The evening went very well. DSIL seemed much better and almost back to her normal self. She suggested we all go out for lunch sometime soon to our local gastropub. I am going to try to arrange it for when DH'S sister is staying. I went over TDEE by a very small amount for dinner, so will make up for that today. I sooooo want to get under 10 stone.
    Would you believe I forgot to put the tomatoes I had so carefully skinned and chopped into the squid stew! ! :embarassed: It still tasted good!:laugh: So tonight I will make a salad with them and the left over rice, peas and green beans to have with our bbqd venison burgers.

Sandy - it definitely sounds as if it is time for each of you to be responsible for fixing your own food with separate cupboards and fridge shelves. Just like students do. Make sure she doesn't pinch your stuff!:laugh: Lots of labelled boxes with KEEP OFF written on them.
    On that subject, so many of you have written about the problems created by not sticking up for ourselves, or not having firm boundaries in our lives. Joyce - you wrote about your brother being an "enabler" and Vicki - you made a smart choice the other day by not stumping up the bail.:flowerforyou: It is so important for all of us to have assertive techniques so that we can live comfortably with ourselves and others and not waste fruitless energy. It's probably one of the hardest and most important lessons we can learn - how to say NO and how to value ourselves enough to give ourselves the respect we deserve.
    The best person I know at this is my DDIL. Of course, she is a psychologist and even she is not perfect, but I really admire the way a 5 ft nothing, pretty young woman, is someone who has terrific presence and great boundaries. I have learnt a lot from her. When I first met her I thought, she seems far too sweet and nice to be able to deal with my son. Boy was I wrong! She is the original iron hand in the velvet glove!:tongue: Sometimes she is out of sorts and she doesn't always get it right, but she is as close to it as anyone I know. :love:

We are deciding today on our long haul trip for Feb. It looks like it's going to be Sri Lanka. Should be wonderful, provided it doesn't snow this end. Our airports tend to grind to a halt if we get snow.:wink:
    I rang the solicitor who is dealing with my ex DMIL'S estate, but she was on annual leave. Hope to hear something next week. It would be nice to have the rest of my legacy to pay for the holiday. :bigsmile:

Love to all. Gardening today. We had five huge bags of gravel delivered yesterday for the front drive as it's getting a bit thin. I will be spraying any weeds before we put it down. Then weeding and watering. Sun cream required!:happy:

Heather in very dry and warm Hampshire UK
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello All, So glad it's Thursday and I am off for the three day week-end. Tomorrow is July 4th and the little grandchildren will come over and watch the parade, it comes right past my house. Then I am meeting a friend for lunch, she lives about an hour away and I don't see her to often anymore so I am looking forward to it. I'm invited to a get together later Friday night but not sure if I'll go as most plan to drink a lot and that isn't my thing. Saturday night we are going dancing.
    Next week I will work half days and then go to DD's while DSIL goes to work. Since she had a C-section she isn't allowed to pick up the 2 or 4 yr old.
    I logged my food and exercise yesterday. Yah!! I need to keep ii up.

Grandmallie, I’m exhausted just reading about that adventure.

Heather, I so understand where you are coming from about people and weight loss. This is a life style change, not a quick fix and some people will never get that. I’ve lost a few friends as my weight has gone down.

Carol NC, I bet you have a great visit, enjoy your friend. Sorry to hear you don’t get out so much in the summer. The humidity bothers me but I still try to go outdoors, sometimes I just find a place to sit in the shade. I try to walk or ride my bike first thing in the morning.

Vicki, GI NE, I get into those moods sometimes too, and have the same fear of ending up back where I started. Sometimes at home alone in the evening and sometimes when I get overwhelmed at work I can almost stand outside myself and watch me self-destruct, I literally have to put something in my mouth and it is never something that is good for me. I’m working on it, I see the signs and warnings an am learning to back away from the situation. Walk away from my desk, call a friend, read posts here. Maybe something like that will help you.

Meg, I hope your husband is doing OK and the foot is recovering. I bet the senior pics turned out great.

Drkatiebug, So sorry to hear about your cat. I ‘m glad he came home and is OK

Sandy ON, Maybe you will have to take the journey alone for a while. Maybe you can make sure unhealthy foods are not in the house any more, I do live alone but even when I have guests I try to still provide fruits, veggies and things instead of chips, sweets and stuff I feel is unhealthy.

I have to get to work so I will have to finsih the rest of the posts later,
    Good health to all today,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    I am up, took the girls to a outdoor discovery and waterpark yesterday for about 5 hrs, I tried to find some shade.. the place was so huge that I had them check in with me every 30 minutes, well the younger one I couldnt find for an hour and a half,finally went to the guard shack and they had the life guards check each zip line, everyone in the park has to wear life jackets. so it is a sea of yellow life jackets. they found her and had her come back to me, she said she was having so much fun that she FORGOT... well grandma was not pleased,but I didnt yell at her.. was just disappointed.. came home and made dinner. now this week I can tell you I havent done well at all eating... but will get back on track...
    then my DB calls me about my dad.. seems he has at least 2 leins on the house and property up in new hampshire.. and owes alot of money, which he doesnt have... so my brother says that he and I have to go talk to to him about getting rid of at least one.. now my brother gets whipped into a frenzy and the 2 of them are like oil and water.. where I am the calming one... so will have to deal with this once the girls leave... plus Jeans brother the one that is a jerk came over to the house yesterday and upset his mother greatly... I gave them a suggestion of changing locks and getting a restraining order for piece of mind...
    It is cloudy and muggy here today there is fireworks in the town next to us but dont know how the weather will be like tonight
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to everyone new, hope you'll pop in often and chat! This is the best group of supportive women:heart: !!!!

Katiebug:smile: So glad to hear kitty is home:heart: !!!

Margaret:smile: I love that your neighbors rescue pet kept you company yesterday, it just brought a smile to my face:bigsmile: !

Sandy:smile: So nice to see you!!! I will echo some others here, maybe you could just freeze the extras, that is a win win situation!! Less work for you the next time you do a lot of cooking! Sorry to hear your migraines are back:cry: !

Viv:smile: I hope you're having a lovely vacation and the weather is cooperating for you:glasses: !

Mimi (SVQ):smile: Hope you have loads of fun on your vacation!!!!

Joyce:smile: I'm wondering too about the test you had, have they given you the results yet? Sorry to hear about the family drama!

Alison:smile: A very wise 13 year told me she comes to see me, not the house, not the food, it's not about that at all! It's about spending time with me, laughing and having fun just being together:heart: !!! I'm sure your grand girls feel the same, as long as they're with you!!!! Give yourself permission to relax a little bit:heart: !!! Happy birthday:flowerforyou: !!!

Meg:smile: Hope today will be a better day!!!! Hope you find put what's going on with hubby and the dog, that sounds a little scary!!!

Michele:smile: I would say walking up 4 flights of stairs would be good exercise, especially carrying heavy things:wink: !

Carol in NC:smile: It was a sweltering hot day yesterday, even my dog didn't want to be outside:noway: ! Sounds like the house is almost ready:bigsmile: !!!! Enjoy the time with your friend:love: !!!

Vicki:smile: I think you're doing an amazing job, just look at the weight you've lost:bigsmile: !!! You acknowledge your binge and move on, I think you're doing awesome!!!

Prayers for those in need!!! Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in summertime NC:glasses:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Allison- Sorry your vacation hasn't gone as planned, but sounds like you are doing some fun things with the girls. You need a break from everyone and some time for just you! You are so good to your family!

Katie- So glad your cat came back and is okay. I know I would miss mine if he got out. He is an indoor cat and has gotten out once, but never left the deck. I tried taking him out with me on a leash so he could be out on the deck with me when I sit outside, but he really didn't like it!

Meg- I know the feeling with the job. For the last two years I have had so much frustrations and many tears due to my job. I am seriously considering retiring early. I would lose a little money, but gain so much more emotionally and physically. Also, my parents are needing me more and more. I just can't get to them quickly if I am working full time. Teaching high school math is certainly NOT a 40 hour per week job- at least not for me. Can't put in another year like the last two.

Am not doing too well with my goals so far this month. I have been working nonstop to get the house ready for my DMIL and to get ready to leave for a 5 day camping trip. We will be leaving in a few hours and I still have a lot to do. Better get off here and get moving!

While camping I will move more and eat less! I have prepared several healthy meals to take with us and have packed healthy snacks and lots of water!

Have a great 4th of July! Will check back in when we get back.

Deb A in CNY
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    DrKatiebug, I'm so glad your kitty is home! We have accidentally locked our neighbors dog inside our garage a couple of times, so I know that can happen. I have a friend whose kitty, Toughy, kept disappearing for days at a time, so she took him to the vet and got him fixed, thinking that might cure his wanderlust. Well, her neighbor came over in a huff saying, "somebody got my cat fixed!" So he had gotten himself two homes and my friend never knew about it. The neighbor thought he was a stray. I thought that was hilarious.

When we got home last night I went out to check the garden and found a huge zucchini. That thing is about 15" long! I've never seen one that big at a store, so I'm thinking maybe it went too long and should have been picked sooner. But it's pretty! Only a few tomatoes and peppers. My habeneros have some tiny little babies. I have no idea how to tell if they are ready to pick.

I hated to weighed myself this morning, totally believing I had gained weight on our trip, but no, I was right where I was when we left. I guess that's the best I could hope for, but I still feel bloated. When we got home my feet looked like an inflated surgical glove. I walked a couple of miles before bedtime and that helped. This morning we are going to pick up the dogs first thing. I miss my babies!

They haven't sent me a joke in a couple of days. Don't know why. I checked my trash folder just in case. Not there. I miss it.

Have a great dat everybody!

Sylvia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, funny story about the neighbors who shared a cat. Sebastian was "fixed" as a baby, but it hasn't cured his love of hunting. We have way too many rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks to tempt him.

Up early. Got the walk in already. Getting my hair trimmed later today. I also have to go and work on my brother's printer. That man has more computer issues than anyone I know.

Have a good day, my friends.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    I am way behind and will read all the July posts later today!

Updated my weight and ticker to reflect the weight that has crept back on. Tomorrow is my birthday and I want to approach my new year with honesty and a fresh attitude. I know what I need to do lose the weight ... I just haven't been doing it lately. I will do this!

Obviously did not meet June (or May or April) goals ... Here's July!
    Will get back to weighing all food.
    Will log everything .... Even when I've blown it.
    Will exercise regularly.
    Will get back to the gym for strength training at least once a week!

Have a great day!
    Beth in WNY
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Editing my "testing" post into my "good morning" check in:smile:

I also decided to be honest with myself and add the 6 pounds that joined me during my mom's illness and passing, along with adding my ticker.

The REAL honest reason is because I have a feeling by following this Biggest Loser plan I JUST MIGHT have a loss to post FINALLY!!! Plan to weigh in on Monday so we'll see then but, even with being way down on my usual exercise, I'm feeling confident.

Was planning to take my boy to the zoo this morning but it decided to rain. Was looking forward to that walking but am working on "Plan B' for the day.

Have a great day!

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I woke up a little sore today after walking home over an hour from the farm yesterday. I managed to remember to start my morning with my lemon water but haven't been able to face food. Eating breakfast isn't a goal specifically for me, but eating "regular meals" is one of my August goals. Well it's 9:30 and I haven't eaten. Ugh. I'm not sure if my body thinks lunch is breakfast though because it wants supper late at night! This afternoon I'll be gardening... lots of weed tugging I suspect plus the community garden is a good 40 minute round trip walking. Tonight I am off to my aerobics class which LOVE! Salad's in the spinner ready to be easy at lunchtime. Have a happy day my pals! - Melody :)
  • ridewithless
    ridewithless Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Checking back in today. Trying to finish up some food related social obligations and get back to basics. Tonight I am supposed to go to meet friends at a Korean fried chicken place. Must use restraint and get my ducks in a row (veggies cut up in frig, measure everything, journal everything) for the up coming holiday weekend. Hurricane headed this way is not supposed to be terrible so no excuse for not getting outside for a walk. Onward and upward!