WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Nearly time for bed in my little corner of the world so thought I would check in. Lots of new faces! You are so welcome lovely ladies. I so enjoy sharing your lives.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Been thinking about goal setting. I've not done it before as I couldn't come up with anything I thought was meaningful so I'm just going to go for it -
    July Goals
    Gym 3 times a week (only 30 min sessions under cardiologist orders)
    Walk every day
    Drink 2 litres of water a day

I'm off to a good start with gym, bike & walk today with around 2.8 litres of water. My walk was only a mile but its a mile more than I've done for a long time.:happy: Not sure how Endomondo will tell MFP to record my walk though.

Off to bed to start reading Strong Women Stay Young which arrived today.

Hugs.

Geri in UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    In a funk today. I was talking to my sister on the phone last night and apparently let the cat out without thinking about it. He was nowhere to be found this morning. I've done it a thousand times before and he is always right there waiting to be fed come morning so I don't know what is going on. He is 13 but hasn't seemed any weirder than usual lately. DH thinks it was his time so he went away to die. We live on a two acre lot, a good bit of it wooded. I have walked the edge of the yard as well as the road frontage on both sides (it is a corner lot) and told the neighbors to keep an eye out. I've also looked under every piece of furniture, bed and closet in the house because I don't remember letting him out. He is not in the house.

This cat has ruined countless pairs of shoes, 3 ipad covers, a desk chair, and an ottoman, but I still don't want him to die! Darn it! At least DH doesn't blame me for letting him out. Our last cat did this exact same thing when he was about the same age. According to DH, it is their nature. I'm still holding out hope that he will show up, but it isn't like him to miss meals, and he's missed morning and afternoon feeding.

Sorry to dump it on y'all.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    DrKatiebug, I'm so sorry about your cat. Maybe he will still turn up. Fingers crossed.

Meg, I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I found that I like the Lee Riders at Walmart, mostly because they do cover my "assets". They are just a little loose in the tummy, but fit well everywhere else.

I'm just quickly checking in on the ipad while hubby is driving. We are about 90 minutes from home. My butt hurts!

Sylvia
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    Edited to delete duplicate post.
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Drkatie - I'm so sorry about your kitty. I have 2 that are 16 and frustrate me but I wouldn't want any harm to come to them either. I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

UGH! DD just came home from work and I tried talking to her about our meals but that turned into a disaster. I make our meal plan and I create the grocery list and I spend Sunday's cooking all day. I leave the meal plan on the fridge and she eats whatever she wants...today she ate Waffles instead of the meatloaf that I made. Now I end up throwing out food because she doesn't eat what I've made. I have tried involving her in the meal plan, I've tried getting her to make a meal plan. I live pay to pay and don't have extra money to throw away. I hate throwing away food. She pays me weekly for room & board. I'm at my wits end and just don't know what to do. She works 4 pm - 8 pm during the week so we don't eat together.

Sorry I just need to vent. I woke with a headache that turned into a migraine so that's worn me out too.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am 66 and live in Australia on 10 acres and exercise only at home now.
    It is winter here and I am getting up at 8am in winter instead of 6am. I do cardio before breakfast and weights after breakfast and walk the dog after lunch if not raining.
    Woke with bloated tummy and gastro this morning so only walking if rain stops and choosing food and under my cals today ie 1650 instead of 1920. Resting which is NOT like me at all
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Good evening all, Aedreana here! When I first joined MFP in June, I was in the process of "trying on" fatter weights for myself because I had felt I was too thin at 110 pounds 5 months ago. But now @ 121 pounds, I feel like an enormous blimp! SO, as soon as those two bags of fries in the freezer are gone, this week I will be embarking upon my first diet of 2014! I estimate my goal to be in the 112 - 116 pound weight range. Need to lose fat from my waist/midriff/belly; have gained two inches around my waist with those eleven pounds!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I am back to my regular routine today and it feels great---dog walking in the morning—line dance class---my usual food---a short nap in the afternoon with the whole family---time on the exercise bike----early to bed.

:bigsmile: The family visit was great but we were both exhausted by the time they left. It seemed like the highlights of the visit were meals where I ate things I don’t usually eat but all the conversations went great. Daughter is a great mom and the boys are a nice combination of active, inquisitive, conversational, and good mannered. One very exciting thing for them was buying all sorts of fireworks that they can’t purchase in California.

:flowerforyou: Heather, one of the reasons that this thread is so important to me is that there are too many women in my life who are like your friends who don’t’ want to hear about healthy eating exercise but I know that all of you are always interested and enthusiastic.

:flowerforyou: Kim, I used to have a pedometer with a reset button and it reset every time I leaned on something like the sink or the washer…..the one I have now , resets automatically at midnight and saves data for seven days on the pedometer and forever on the computer.

:bigsmile: Sue in SD, that’s a smart goal to have different step goals on day when you do water exercise…..i used to get very irritated at yoga and strength training because it cut down on my steps.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, your test sounds daunting….glad you made it through and can recount the adventure in a good way.

:heart: JaneMartin, sending hugs to you in your frustrating house hunting time

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I couldn’t lose weight for years because I kept going back to the thinking that “a little bit won’t hurt”…..I no longer debate with the “moderators” who talk about having a few bites of something or how they have to have a bit of something or they’ll feel deprived……I am an “abstainer” and I know what foods to stay away from and what I can eat safely. I also refuse to debate with anyone who wants to find fault with the way I eat.

:brokenheart: Drkatie, sorry to hear about your cat

:flowerforyou: Aedreana, when I lost weight in 2009, I got down to 109 and loved it but my friends and my doctor told me I was too thin….I am 5’3” tall---so I gained weight----the doctor is happy but I often feel too fat and am torn between what the doctor says and what I want…good luck to you finding the right weight…..I know I feel best when I eat only healthy food and stay very active.

:flowerforyou: One of the danger of going “gluten free” when it’s not medically necessary is that there are a lot of gluten free products that are high calorie and a roadblock to weight loss. I stay away from bread, pasta, white rice, baked goods, and cereal except for oatmeal almost all the time. I fill my diet with foods that have lots to eat with fewer calories.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: 22,000 steps today
    3 minute plank---line dance class

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sandy, can you freeze the leftover food that she doesn't eat? I know that doesn't help with the frustration, but it would save the money. My son and I don't eat a lot of the same foods, but I know how upset I can get when 1) I go to the fridge to get something and it's all gone or 2) worse, when he has let food that he just had to have go bad (like $9 worth of grapes!).

Meg, sorry you had such a bad day. Have you tried Old Navy? They have different cuts for different shapes. Sounds like you need a curvy fit jean.

Drkatie, I'm so sorry about your kitty! My kitty adopted us so I have no idea how old she is. I get worried when she doesn't show up for meals.

I'm off to bed. :yawn: It has been a long day!

Carol in sweltering NC
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Yow, sounds like a frustrating day for many (myself included). Guess we'll be glad for a fresh start tomorrow.

I did follow my food plan and the highlight of my day was my Enlightened Fudge Bar. My Biggest Loser plan told me I could have sorbet and I switched it out. Same (or less calories) and less sugar anyhow.

I like your "lose a pound" plan Tatiana. Might try that next week:smile:

Shorty, I'm guessing if your doctor is prodding, it's probably a little past time so "yay you". Start one step at a time and when you start to see results and feel better, you'll naturally fall into more changes and a new lifestyle.

Hoping for a happy ending Katiebug kitty story. He might just be on a little adventure. :flowerforyou:

Eyes are drooping, catch ya'll on the flip side.

xo-Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Checking in for today. Going to take a bit to keep up with everyone. Hope those that had a rough day have a great one tomorrow. Those in the hot & humid climates, here's to sweating to the oldies. DrKatie...hope your kitty shows up. We lost our
    17 yr cocker a couple of weeks back & miss her.

Looking forward to a great weekend!!
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    He's home. He was gone for 24 hours, came in starving and lapping water like no tomorrow. No telling where he's been. I wonder if he maybe took a nap in the neighbor's shed or garage and got locked in when they left for work this morning.

This is so unlike him to be gone like that. Glad for once DH and his pessimism was wrong. I didn't think he had been acting sick.

I am glad to see the spoiled rotten thing!
  • kwykes
    kwykes Posts: 25
    Options
    Starting all over again. A couple years ago I lost 40 pounds using My Fitness Pal to record exercise (walking) and food. Now, I have gained almost all of that back and feel miserable. So, here I am!
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    I still have to get up a couple times a night. But I find sleeping on my side instead of my back helps.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Kim in N California thank you for your kind words. I hope your hot weather doesn't last too long. We get an occasional 100 degree here in MN. This summer has been rainy and highs in the 80's so far.

Had a great time bonding with my neighbor"s dog today. She is a part miniature pincher Chi Chua mix. I was deep raking our yard to prevent disease. We have had a very rainy summer and cooler than normal. The perfect set up for problems in the yard. She came and kept me company. She convinced me to take many breaks so I would sit and pet her. She is a rescue dog. My neighbor's daughter works for Pet Store and someone abandoned and abused her. How anyone could have hurt such a sweet animal is beyond me. My neighbors took her in and gave her the name Wendy. She helped me slow down and just enjoy the beauty of the flowers in my yard.

:heart:
    MNMargaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katie, so glad your kitty is home, dirty rotten scoundrel!!!! He still has the call of the wild even at his age.

I talked to my brther for a long time tonight. I just love that guy. He is so wise and he has so many problems himself. I think he spends so much time helping others solve their problems that he doesn't see that he has been an enabler for years. He is a preacher, very petite wife and had one miscarriage and then a twin pregnancy in which only one baby survived. So Matt always grew up being one spoiled little boy. Always got his way and was given what never he wanted by the church members who adored his cherub like face. He was petite just like his Mom with blond hair and blue eyes. One spoiled kid. So fast forward into teen years. Dad very busy, he is no longer a petite kid but a tall big guy, Mom can't control him, if he throws a temper tantrum they both give in. Starts doing poorly in school after first introduced to marijuana. After the joint came heavier and heavier things until he is a full fledge cocaine and heroin addict, stealing from home, really bad situation. But Mom and Dad still pay for car, insurance, motorcycle, cell phone and whatever he wants to eat. so eventually ends up in the court system and lucky for him yet again he is given a year in a rehab facility. Before that he gets a girl pregnant, they marry, she leaves him but refuses to divorce him. So now he has a wonderful girlfriend who has stood by im in everything he has done, good or bad. They have two wonderful children, still not married. He is clean, trying to make a normal life for his family. Girlfriend pregnant again. Now he says that through his Narcotics Anonymous, NA, he feels like he 'needs to find himself' and wants to leave his wonderful family. He now has 3 children, another one due, no job, no way to pay child support but why should he. Mom and Dad pay child support to the first woman just so they can have visitation rights of which she doesn't comply. She knows that if she fights him for no child support he will go back to jail and she holds that over him and my brother.

My other brother has 2 boys, one who is just a little younger than this other guy. He now has two children with another on the way. They are either fighting, madly in love, she is sleeping with other men while my nephew is at work, she is pregnant again. But he falls head over heels in love with the children when they are born and gives them his name unconditionally. He was a drug user also and immedaitely quit as soon as the first baby was born and has never wanted to go back. My brothers other son is almost 18 and they can't wait because they will no longer be responsible for him and the next time he kicks or tries to take a knife to his Mom the police can take him. The juvenile authorities just say it's a family matter. they finally put him in a group ome and he was fine there and as soon as he got back home he was back to his old ways.

My parents were the most wonderful people, they brought all us kids up as good people, God fearing, law abiding. We have good very long standing marriages. What happened to these poor boys. What has happened to the youth of today?

OK, I'm done. Sorry. I am just so exhausted tonight and so disgusted. I feel like the normal sleep, awake pattern my MS has given me for 15 years has betrayed me. It doesn't matter how tired I am when I wake up, at 6 or 7 PM I am like a normal person. But not tonight. So my usaul 2 AM bedtime will more than likely be 11 PM.

Joyce, Indiana where tomorrow I may be surprised with what I have written since I am so tired.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping, but I read the posts.

Gail, metro ATL
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie. Yes I am 5' 3 1/2." Amazing how within a 12-pound range, I feel too thin at the low end of the range, and positively gigantic at the high end! I think taller people don't see such a variance within such a narrow range.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am 66 and live in Australia on 10 acres and exercise only at home now.
    It is winter here and I am getting up at 8am in winter instead of 6am. I do cardio before breakfast and weights after breakfast and walk the dog after lunch if not raining.
    Woke with bloated tummy and gastro this morning so only walking if rain stops and choosing food and under my cals today ie 1650 instead of 1920. Resting which is NOT like me at all

Hopefully your weather clears so you can get some walking in. I am 61 and MFP has me at 1290 calories to get to goal weight. Only 6 1/2 lbs. to go now. I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado so I have lots of hiking trails. It's summer now, so I head out with my Lab all of the time. I also go to Jazzercise, have been doing that fir decades, except when I let those 25 pounds sneak up on me. I am feeling great now, along with feeling decades younger.
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hi, I'm Diane, I live in North Texas. I joined MFP three weeks ago. I set up my program in stages. Stage One is 30 lbs. at 1 lb a week. I've already lost 7 lbs. I have hypothyroidism, which caused my weight gain. I also have SAD. I use daylight bulbs to help with the SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
    . Anyway, like I said, Stage One is 30 lbs. I did stages because MFP took me down to 1200 cals. per day. I couldn't do that from 2500 cals. So I modified the weight loss to get more cals. Right now I'm at 1600. That is good. I'm not starving, my hunger is controlled and I'm losing weight.
    Stage Two will be 30-40 lbs. It depends on how I feel then, and how I look.
    I was a skinny child. I was always tall for my age. For many years, I looked like a string bean. I grew to be 5 ft. 10in. by the age of 16. I weighed 130 lbs. I held onto that weight for a good 25 yrs. I was pretty active. i rode my bike, went swimming at the beach. Walked a lot. I have gradually gained weight over the last 10 yrs. I had a checkup 1&1/2 yrs. ago and found that my thyroid wasn't up to snuff. That's probably why I was so skinny for so many yrs. Now, I'm on medication and I'm working on the weight gain.
    P.s. what is "bumping"