How to spot a catfish?

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer catfish to some self-righteous people on here. You know what you are gonna get from them and they always follow through on promises. Additionally, almost all the fake pics are better than real pic and this is FACT.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda embarrassed but I've been there.

They want an immediate relationship. They will send long love letters almost immediately - copy/paste them into Google and see if they come up under scam websites. Reverse image search. They are almost always widow/widower, some kind of engineer for a petroleum company and working overseas in Europe or Africa. They will say all the right words. They refuse to meet in person or talk on the phone and if they do Skype it will be a dark background. If they talk on the phone they will have a deep accent even though they are American or British or whatever nationality they give. They promise to take care of all your problems and ride you off into the sunset on a beautiful white horse. If you continue speaking a potential catfish they will have a terrible accident shortly into a job, such as their passport was taken, they can't get their equipment into the country because of an unknown tax, they've been on the contract but can't pay their hotel bill, they have to pay land use taxes, their kid gets hurt and sent to the hospital, they get diagnosed with cancer, etc., all stuff that seems legitimate and tugs at your heart strings.

I recently caught two in a row on a dating website. Statistics say that 1 out of 10 profiles are catfish but I think it's higher or I am a prime target. After I reported them the website kicked them off within minutes.

There are some good scam websites that you can pay to have profiles checked out as well, just Google for them. I'd rather spend $10-20 now than lose what I lost in the past and never get back.

Also trust your intuition about this, if you feel there is something wrong there is probably something wrong. Look for red flags. If you want to PM me I will give you more details.

Hey!!!
    How you doin??
    Nice horse u got there

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Reverse image search, google full name, google phone number, ask for specific photos if they won't video chat (wearing a hat, holding a note, etc...), message people on their friend's list (if you don't want to look like you're fishing, say something like you want to buy them a present, but since you just met you don't know what to get and thought they might know him better and have ideas...)

If there are too many things in common, they probably read your blog/follow you on social networks.

Basically, if you think they're a catfish, they probably are.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Catfish are one of the most elusive of all cats... you see pictures of theme everywhere.. but to find the actual one in real life...

tumblr_lifmb8BuUz1qcn249o1_500.gif
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

They want an immediate relationship. They will send long love letters almost immediately - copy/paste them into Google and see if they come up under scam websites. Reverse image search. They are almost always widow/widower, some kind of engineer for a petroleum company and working overseas in Europe or Africa. They will say all the right words. They refuse to meet in person or talk on the phone and if they do Skype it will be a dark background. If they talk on the phone they will have a deep accent even though they are American or British or whatever nationality they give. They promise to take care of all your problems and ride you off into the sunset on a beautiful white horse. If you continue speaking a potential catfish they will have a terrible accident shortly into a job, such as their passport was taken, they can't get their equipment into the country because of an unknown tax, they've been on the contract but can't pay their hotel bill, they have to pay land use taxes, their kid gets hurt and sent to the hospital, they get diagnosed with cancer, etc., all stuff that seems legitimate and tugs at your heart strings.

I recently caught two in a row on a dating website. Statistics say that 1 out of 10 profiles are catfish but I think it's higher or I am a prime target. After I reported them the website kicked them off within minutes.

There are some good scam websites that you can pay to have profiles checked out as well, just Google for them. I'd rather spend $10-20 now than lose what I lost in the past and never get back.

Also trust your intuition about this, if you feel there is something wrong there is probably something wrong. Look for red flags. If you want to PM me I will give you more details.

I saw this exact story on Dr. Phil. Sad part is, the woman STILL wasn't convinced that her "soul mate" was a hoax...she was also $100k+ in the hole...I don't comprehend that level of naivety.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I don't Skype, so I must be a catfish. Meh.

Yeah, but do you KIK?

yea, no, because I'm not into exchanging nudes.... a few of my MFP friends have met me in person, though. :smile:

I FOUND THE CATFISH!!!! :wink: :laugh:

doh! Busted.... or, you could reverse Google image search and find out. :wink:
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

yea, no, because I'm not into exchanging nudes.... a few of my MFP friends have met me in person, though. :smile:

I use KiK w/ two people

at one time?? You've got talent!! :wink:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    They are cancer survivors. All of them. I think it's a requirement.

Hmmmm you may be on to something here.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

I may be able to confirm you are who you say you are...
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

and I may be able to confirm you've got a nice rack. :love:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

and I may be able to confirm you've got a nice rack. :love:

I think I may frame this comment. :laugh:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Hey!!!
    How you doin??
    Nice horse u got there

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well, hello. I'm good, thanks :blushing:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

Well, I only have access to the profile pic and Google said that it was visually similar to this:

photo.jpg

SO BUSTED! :laugh:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I saw this exact story on Dr. Phil. Sad part is, the woman STILL wasn't convinced that her "soul mate" was a hoax...she was also $100k+ in the hole...I don't comprehend that level of naivety.

I got smart about it real quick. They hit me at one of the lowest points of my life. No confidence, family problems, lonely and sad, I had tragically just lost my first horse. I saw that Dr Phil show, I think that lady was widowed. They need to pass laws to stop this.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

Well, I only have access to the profile pic and Google said that it was visually similar to this:

photo.jpg

:laugh:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Look for the group of old men down by the Mississippi river edge.
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

photo.jpg

can I haz him?!? I'll be your bestest friend in the world.... :love:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

photo.jpg

can I haz him?!? I'll be your bestest friend in the world.... :love:

He's not my type....I like my men like I like my coffee.....weak. Happy hunting. :laugh:
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    They never show their face...

Oh. Well this is awkward.

All I show is face. That's how people know I'm legit.

This guy is definitely a catfish.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    they have really sexy bodies and pretty faces ?