LADIES: Skipping exercise for that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I workout during mine, but if taking the week off is what your body needs then do that.

Taking a few days to a week off will not set you back progress-wise. It takes longer than a week to lose cardiovascular conditioning. You may end up more sore the first day or two back since your muscles have been able to rest for a week, but you won't lose any conditioning.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    For some reason exercising doesn't help my pain. It somehow makes them worse. Like, I will be walking and I will have to stop from the cramps being so bad. It doesn't go away for whatever reason. I know my weight loss will be slower if I don't exercise, but I'm still eating at a deficit. So I don't know. Just looking for opinions.

i've never had it that bad, i don't even know anyone who has it that bad... you probably have but have you seen a doctor about that?

Yes...I'm on birth control for it. Have been for the past 5 years. The new bc I'm on isn't as good as the kind I was on before. But my period is a lot better. My period used to last literally for months. I would be on for a month, off for a few days, and then start right back on. It was never ending and caused me to be severely anemic. But I'm getting better. Slowly but surely.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Some months I work through, others I rest. Depends on the cycle. I do tend to feel better when I exercise through, but sometimes with a heavier cycle, it's just not realistic for a couple of days. (peri-menopause stinks, can't wait for "the change" - lol)
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Your calorie recommendation from MFP is at a deficit without exercise, meaning you would lose weight without any exercise at all. So no, skipping a few days of workouts shouldn't affect your weight loss.

^^This.

Do what works best for you. If that is walking, do it. If it is taking a break, do that. As long as you are at a calorie deficit you will not lose your progress. I am sorry you have such bad cramping. I have a friend like that who missed a couple days of school every month for it and now (as an adult) is medicated for it.
  • brainsndbeauty
    brainsndbeauty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also only have a horrible first day so after day one I am okay.

But I was told that working out will actually make your menstrual better during this week. It helps with the bood circulation. IDK
  • DemetraDawn
    DemetraDawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Last month, I found that by sticking to my normal exercise routine, my pain was less than it usually is.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well I sucked it up and went on a 5 miles walk this morning. It wasn't pleasant feeling, but I'm glad I did it instead of sitting at home like a bump on a pickle. Thanks guys.

Good for you!!!

Me - personally - exercise during my period does not help. It is just something I grin and bear. What I DO find helps? All the exercise I do for the rest of the month. The better the shape I am in - the better my periods get. They get lighter, less cramps (sometimes to the point I no longer get them at all), and less moodiness.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten good advice, and are being treated for the cycle issues. I just wanted to sympathize. I hope you can find a plan that will help with the pain. When I was younger, I used to be bedridden for the first day or so, so I can only imagine how painful it would be for longer than that. Listen to your body and do what you can.
  • madxprofessor
    madxprofessor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make 'that' week my cheat week, i eat whatever i want, wear sweatpants, drink redbull and eat gourmet chocolate, 5 days of that out of the month i can easily make up for in the pool or on the treadmill
  • nicolemariemclovin
    nicolemariemclovin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find that a light cardio workout generally helps with my cramping, but it all depends on you. If exercise doesn't help or makes it worse, then take a break for a day or two and adjust cals for that day or that week. You know your body best, listen to it :)
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Maybe not the first day but definitely work out. Personally it distracts me from cramps and everything. Don't use pads as they move around a lot. Workout, but don't go too intense. Take a painkiller (Maybe one or two Advils) and you should be good to go
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I workout through in between the second and second to last day. The first and last days I'm like the walking dead and I feel like Freddy Kruger is killing me from the inside. HOWEVER, those days in between are actually less painful when I do workout.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have only been in the gym long enough to have to deal with this once. I was having really bad cramping, and I always have terrible back pain at the same time. I considered staying home until I read online that it would help. I forced myself to go and it honestly did help relieve the pain. I felt fine my entire workout, and for a while after. That is my experience though, and may not match yours. I would try and see how you feel. If you really need the time off, take it. Just watch your calories.
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Glad you got out there and exercised! I find I feel better if I do. I've even gone on day-long climbing trips out in the mountains. I tend to be in more pain if I just sit around.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Generally the first day I may have to skip, but exercise does help with cramps and flow.
    ^^This, first day is my worst and can sometimes leave me bedridden all day. I'll still have cramps the rest of the week and even days leading up to the start of my period. I find that working out on these days helps relieves camps.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I make 'that' week my cheat week, i eat whatever i want, wear sweatpants, drink redbull and eat gourmet chocolate, 5 days of that out of the month i can easily make up for in the pool or on the treadmill

Wow, if i had a whole cheat week every month I would spend the other 3 weeks of the month just trying to work off my cheat week. lol
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, you do what works for you. Me? Mine cripple me. Some months I can't even get out of bed, let alone go for a walk and to hell with attempting the gym or a run. Some months I'm better, and if after the first awful day or two I feel I can cope with some gentle exercise, I do. I take it month by month, if I can't work out for a few days it's not the end of the world.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For some reason exercising doesn't help my pain. It somehow makes them worse. Like, I will be walking and I will have to stop from the cramps being so bad. It doesn't go away for whatever reason. I know my weight loss will be slower if I don't exercise, but I'm still eating at a deficit. So I don't know. Just looking for opinions.

Used to be like that for me.. over time, its changed.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually take a rest day on my first day when I feel the worst. I allow myself an overdose of chocolate too, but I make sure to stay within my cals for the day.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The first day is usually the only bad one for me.. Usually I will work out. There are some times that are horrible and I am in a lot of pain. Then I'll chill for a day and get right back to it. I usually find that if I'm not in horrible shape, exercising helps me feel better.