Sugar Addiction Help

Options
What did you do to beat sugar?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I worked it into my macros where I could and ate other things when I couldn't.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    otcg.gif

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it unless it's from fruit/veggies.
  • laurawalker161446
    Options
    What's a macro- just the formula of food + exercise = net calories ?

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on the weight loss.

my goal is 100 pounds in 12 months- I know I can do it if I can stop eating ice cream and chocolate chip cookies!!
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey. Once you get past the first 3 days it gets alot easier and the cravings will gradually stop.

I could never just have a little bit of chocolate, it is all or nothing for me.
  • andrealwatson
    andrealwatson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since its summer, and my kids always want ice cream( and so do I), I buy outshine sugar free frozen fruit bars, it gives me the enjoyment of something sweet and cold, just 30 calories, and no added sugar.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I used to have a huge addiction to anything sweet. Any kind of candy, chocolate, sugary creamer...I binged on hardcore. When I first started losing weight I HAD to stay away from all that for about two weeks. I tried to do the whole moderation thing to start off but I craved sugar so badly to the point where I couldnt control myself. So I didn't eat candy, didn't use flavored creamer, etc for about two weeks. After that I slowly started introducing it back into my life. Staying under my cals of course, but I had to train myself to eat less. I keep a jar of a combo of hershey kisses with almonds, sugarfree mini reese cups, and sugarfree werther originals. Whoever looks at my diary sees I eat at least one of those everyday because frankly I love sweet things, just gotta use control and moderation.
  • WildcatDeLalune
    WildcatDeLalune Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    In the past, I had a huge issue with sugar. I grew up using it to flavor practically everything. I ate it in my rice, oatmeal, grits, pasta, sandwiches (peanutbutter and syrup (YUM!!)), you name it. I even got to the point where I was putting sugar in my Gatorade. Needless to say, I required more sugar just to even taste it. I never thought it was an addiction, though. I just thought it made things taste better like how my husband pours red pepper flakes on everything. Haha.

I used to wean myself off it just to end up over-using it again. But then, I just stopped using it as much. Sometimes, I'd go long periods without it and it's been pretty easy for me. I knew that I was on the path to Diabetes and that I didn't need copious amounts of sugar to survive. If I get cravings (which is rare), I either let them pass or grab a caramel corn rice cake. ^_^.
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fact: the more sugar you eat, the more you will crave it.

Fact: the less sugar you eat, the less you will crave it.

Cut down on sugar and your cravings will eventually go down, BIG TIME. I used to have a huge sweet tooth and it's pretty much gone because I decided to dramatically cut down. A little while after I cut down, I noticed I didn't have cravings anymore. Don't get me wrong, I definitely still need to have something sweet every day. That is natural. But the irrational and destructive cravings are gone, and I don't binge on sweets anymore. Ever.

Sometimes what you really need is a reason to cut down on sugar. Something other than your desire to lose weight. Check out this lecture on the hidden dangers of sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I worked it into my macros where I could and ate other things when I couldn't.

QFT
  • rosesandsuch
    rosesandsuch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am currently really struggling with this as well, the problem with me is work, my coworkers are constantly bringing in bags of chocolate and candy and I end up snacking on them throughout the day not realizing how much it's adding up!

I've always compared it to any other addiction in that I will try to enjoy sugar in moderation, but always end up overeating. The same way a person might try to reduce their alcohol intake but still become intoxicated every time regardless.

I don't keep any sugar/juice/syrup/dried fruit/sweets/chemical sweeteners in my apartment because I know it will trigger a binge and make my cravings skyrocket. When I do get treats, I go out to eat them.

I also read the labels of everything I buy, so many products have hidden sugars in them, I have memorized the list of words companies use instead of sugar in the nutrition information. Added sugar has no business in canned fruit/vegetables, savory dressings, breads, soup, savory condiments, or meats! In fact, I make most of my condiments, marinades, and dressings myself to avoid this exact issue!

All I keep in my kitchen is a bottle of organic stevia drops and plenty of fresh fruit, mostly bananas and blueberries.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to give up sugar. I work it into my my calories and enjoy it. Since it does not replace meat, veggie, fruit, dairy or whole grain, I can usually manage a small treat every day.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I used to feel this way about sugar too... one of the most helpful posts I've read on this was this lady said- I didn't learn to eat in moderation over night, it took practice. I used to think I "couldn't" eat sugar in moderation because every time I tried I'd mess up (eat too much) and then I'd think oh no, maybe I can't eat sugar at all because it makes me binge... anyway, something about that post clicked for me. I just kept trying to eat it in moderation. Taking a break from desserts for awhile can help and making rules for desserts might be necessary but maybe you can eat sugar in moderation too. I can now go a day without sugar and I can eat healthful balanced meals with a 1/2 cup of ice cream after dinner and then stop. :) Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    132997613693706015wDdx9ozc.jpg

Seriously though, either work it into your daily calorie goal or break the habit by changing your own actions. My workplace is notorious for people brining in all sorts of high calorie treats to snack on. I know that once I start munching, I'll be back all throughout the day so what works for me is not starting in the first place ( as difficult as willpower is), this is what currently prevents me from over indulging.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    What's a macro- just the formula of food + exercise = net calories ?

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on the weight loss.

my goal is 100 pounds in 12 months- I know I can do it if I can stop eating ice cream and chocolate chip cookies!!

Macro = macronutrient. The macronutrients are carbs/ fat/ protein. (And I guess some people include fiber...)
    Some people focus on getting their macros "right" or balanced. Like aiming for 40% of calories from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein. (just an example)
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Macros, moderation, sugars not addictive - blah blah blah - if you think of ADDED sugars as toxic - then maybe it helps you pass on all those sugary treats that are so effective in sabotaging healthy eating efforts. If u gotta have a sugar hit - grab a bannana or apple those are carbs worth eating. Good luck on the 100 pounds!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I found that when I lowered my carbs drastically, basically bread and pasta is gone for me (DIABETES! DOWN ANTI LOW CARB PEOPLE!) my urge for sugar just seemed to balance itself.

For me white bread was like a gateway drug :) I literally would butter a piece of wonder bread and coat it in white sugar. Ok, I know that sounds repulsive, and it probably was, but I loved it.
  • new_clear
    new_clear Posts: 21
    Options
    I wish I could say I got up one morning and was sugar free... it was a slow removal. First rice, then grain based breads, then sugar itself. I rely on whole, fresh fruits. If I must cheat, dried fruit concentrates the sugar while importantly keeping the fibre and other nutrients. Now I don't use dried fruit as a fix, but more so for flavour (I use powdered freeze dried fruits, no sugar added).
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey. Once you get past the first 3 days it gets alot easier and the cravings will gradually stop.

I could never just have a little bit of chocolate, it is all or nothing for me.

Same here. 2 months cold turkey and the only time I have cravings is around my TOM.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with sugar (assuming you're somewhat active and not diabetic). Sugars = carbohydrates.

That being said, I usually consume around 450g~ of sugar a day on average.