1200 Calorie a day diet. Can it be healthy?

Options

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I eat approximately 2150 calories a day, go to the gym 4x per week...
    What one person eats or does really doesn't matter. You have zero in common with him--- age, gender, size, goals. He's not ridiculing your plan, which is irrelevant to anyone but you. Jeez. The internet has made every dieter a freakin expert on every other person's diet. :noway:

He is asking can it be healthy, and I am answeing his question. Yes, but for most healthy people being that restrictive isnt necessary. In his case he should follow the guidelines of his dietician. He's the one that made it into an argumentative conversation, I just answered the question in the title.
  • christullos
    Options
    I am not telling anyone else to eat a 1200 calorie diet. I can only speak of me. But I am tired of people talking on this forum like they are experts, when they are not.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am not crabby. I am following a REGISTERED DIETITIANS diet if you don't understand that then you are one that is "crabby"

If you don't like advice then DONT ASK!!!!!!

1,200 is sustainable but the foods listed I don't see why it has to be so healthy! as long as you in deficit you will lose weight

I consume 1,200 - 1400 normal things like chips, wedges, carbonara etc etc and I still lost 2 stone in 4 months.

If you are following dietition plan why come here and ask for advice!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What one person eats or does really doesn't matter. You have zero in common with him--- age, gender, size, goals. He's not ridiculing your plan, which is irrelevant to anyone but you. Jeez. The internet has made every dieter a freakin expert on every other person's diet. :noway:

He is asking can it be healthy, and I am answeing his question. Yes, but for most healthy people being that restrictive isnt necessary. In his case he should follow the guidelines of his dietician. He's the one that made it into an argumentative conversation, I just answered the question in the title.

Dude, let it go, let him do his thing. He's already mentioned he's using dinosaur old nutrition training.

It will either work for him, or it won't, it's his life.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Dude, let it go, let him do his thing. He's already mentioned he's using dinosaur old nutrition training.

It will either work for him, or it won't, it's his life.

Agree. Either it works or he crashes and burns, either way it's no skin off the nose of anyone else here. Let him stride along as he sees fit.
  • christullos
    Options
    [quote}
    [/quote]

I am NOT coming here for advice. I read all the post on this forum and many people think they are experts. I only did this ti inform people that everyone is different and that they can not necessarily follow their plan
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Fascinating; In the two hours after I started this thread around 50 comments and most of them nay Sayers saying that what I am doing is wrong, is not healthy, but as soon as I mention my Cardiologist and a Registered Dietitian all the negative comments stopped. Where are all the experts now?

Stop depending on Google and the internet to determine your diet and go to a real professional, Truly fascinting that people believe anything they read on the internet

Soooo....did you actually have a question here or.....?
  • LABooth1997
    Options
    I am currently trying to lose a couple of pounds and my goal is 1200 calories, but then again I am female and 5'3. So it can be manageable for me, but maybe not you considering you don't exercise.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    [quote}

I am NOT coming here for advice. I read all the post on this forum and many people think they are experts. I only did this ti inform people that everyone is different and that they can not necessarily follow their plan

Hmmm, well that's odd.

Could have sworn you posted this...

Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

I mean, I guess in my twisted weird brain, it almost sounded like you were asking for advice. Silly me.
  • dbmata
    Options

You asked for advice and validation in the first post.

Review what you wrote.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    [quote}

Hmmm, well that's odd.

Could have sworn you posted this...

Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

I mean, I guess in my twisted weird brain, it almost sounded like you were asking for advice. Silly me.

Stahp quoting what the OP actually said and focus on what he's decided he said!

Why so mean?
  • christullos
    Options
    I am sorry you are wrong.I asked for comments not advice or validation.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum amount of calories a small woman needs to eat to meet her nutrient needs without supplementation.

So, only if you are a small woman.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've eaten like you for nearly all of my life and I am oooooold. The only difference being, I eat butter, never margarine, and cook with olive oil. Oh and I drink almond milk. I put on 20 lbs in my fifties being female plus food being somewhat richer over here than what I was used to in the UK at that time (1970's) and I am busy taking it off. I rarely see a doctor, maybe 8 or 9 times in 40 years (wait for it!) enjoy life to the full and can't remember ever being depressed unless suffering some loss, but that was really normal grieving. I wish you all the best.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I am sorry you are wrong.I asked for comments not advice or validation.

Best of luck to you. :)

Give us an update in a few months and let the experts know how you're doing.

Cheers.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OP why not bring up that you are on a medically prescribed diet due to cardiac problems at the start of your thread. You should know that what is applicable to you is not applicable to a healthy person. In general it's not a good idea for the majority but if you at a risk of a myocardial infarction then the faster you lose the more likely you are to stay alive (and yes when it comes to cardiac arrest I am an expert)

2edm45z.jpg
  • christullos
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum amount of calories a small woman needs to eat to meet her nutrient needs without supplementation.

So, only if you are a small woman.
    Where did you get this information? Google? I got mine from my Cardiologist and Nutritionist, Which is more reliable??
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to eat 1200 calories a day, but sometimes that seems to be where I end up at the end of the day. I think anything BELOW 1200 calories a day isn't healthy. For me, however, it may be a bit low, since I'm 5'9, but I don't eat 1200 EVERYDAY, and I weigh a lot right now. Also, I live a very sedentary lifestyle. Trying to take it easy since I get vertigo a lot, but I'm slowly introducing exercise into my weight loss regimen. On days that I exercise, I'll up the calories. I also read that allowing your daily calories to fluctuate (within reason) is good for beating a plateau and losing weight, but not sure HOW true that is.
  • christullos
    Options
    OP why not bring up that you are on a medically prescribed diet due to cardiac problems at the start of your thread. You should know that what is applicable to you is not applicable to a healthy person. In general it's not a good idea for the majority but if you at a risk of a myocardial infarction then the faster you lose the more likely you are to stay alive (and yes when it comes to cardiac arrest I am an expert)
    My point is, so many people on is forum think they are experst, without knowing all the details. I decided to leave them out