Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• pixcompu
    Options
    Yes, after 90 ponds lost, I still feel i don't deserve even put a pic of myself in my profile, but sometimes i feel invincible :drinker:
  • phee
    phee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I previously lost 35kg but I never really saw it in the mirror. Whenever I would catch a glimpse of my reflection in a store window, I would not recognise myself. The mental image I had of myself was still pretty close to the same size. Also, when I went shopping to buy clothes, I went to a new plus sized store in town. I tried on the XL, as I always did and they were swimming on me. I said to my husband.."this must be one of those new American stores with bigger sized clothing.....I can fit into a small to medium in this brand". I was honestly convinced that the clothes sizing had become bigger! And I can't count the times a store attendant would ask me what size I wanted and then say to me...no way, thats too big for you! I just never got it. Needless to say, I eventually regained all my weight. But I am back again for another go and this time, I am going to take pics all the way! :)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I feel the difference physically, so I know I've lost a pretty significant amount of weight, but I honestly don't think I look any different at all. I think this is common with bigger people that have a lot to lose. I still have a long road ahead of me so I'm hoping to start noticing some real physical changes in the near future.

Good luck everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'm still technically "fat," but at least once a week, the absurdity of the fact that I have actually lost weight will hit me. Like this morning, my weight was down to 207.5, which is a 26.5 pound weight loss since August. I had a mental brain fart and entered in 217.5 and when I realized my mistake, the number 207 looked really weird and not right. It was like I was in the Twilight Zone for a minute. Or when I go thrift store shopping, I will automatically reach for my pre-MFP size and when whatever I am trying on looks like a tent, I get this weird feeling like the world is shifting or something. I can't even explain it. It's like my brain isn't registering it yet. I wonder how the hell I'm going to feel 6 months from now?? It's going to be very strange.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm fat overweight and getting told I look to thin I am overweight still with 14lbs to go and lost 28lbs I still look in the mirror an see the girl from day 1 it's depressing
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    So it's not just me? I can see the changes when I look in the mirror but everytime I look in the mirror it's a surprise as I expect to see the old me looking back at me.

I still walk into shops and think the staff must be thinking that I don't belong in there. Then I have to put back items and get a smaller size and I'm filled with glee.

I still sit down nervously on plastic seats in case the legs wobble under my weight and I nearly went beserk when my husband tried to pick me up the other night as I was scared he'd break his back. He laughed and then just threw me over his shoulder. :happy:

One day I hope my brain catches up with the fact that I'm 94lbs lighter but I guess I've had a whole lifetime of being overweight so it will take some time. I'm sure yours will too.
  • LisabethG
    LisabethG Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs since Jan of this year, and still have trouble putting on clothing thats fits and doesn't
    billow away from my body!! I wear the new clothes I've bought and people compliment me constantly,
    but in my head, I'm thinking, "Oh no, they can see my tummy- tire easily now!" The more I exercise,
    the less these thoughts invade my head. Feeling good about a healthy lifestyle is the most important
    part of this mind game.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I was told once it takes 6 months for your mind to catch up with your body which is true in some respects, you can see yourself clearer and stop going automatically to the plus section, however it is false in that I still think like I am fat. Meaning I still struggle with self esteem, with thinking I am worth less than I am, that I still struggle with eating on a daily basis. I don't know when the fat girl will leave, but I still see myself as her which is a tough thing, because until I can think as a normal size person, I will always be fat no matter what I look like.
  • NatalieGabriel2012
    Options
    Yes definatly!! So far Ive lost 23lbs, another 7lbs - ish to go. Even this weekend I was out shopping for an xmas outfit, I picked up a 12 because I'll ''never'' fit into a 10............12 was hanging off me,yey, but still think in my head 'well 12 might last longer if i gain' etc....almost hard to allow myself to buy and be a size 10! Denile!
  • maddieprice87
    maddieprice87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have total body dysmorphia...

Doesn't seem to matter how much weight I lose, I'm always chunky in my mind. When my profile picture was taken (this was a couple years ago when I was about 20 pounds lighter than now) I commented on how my belly was fat and poofy. I wish I was joking...and I wish my belly was that "fat and poofy" now. :ohwell:

Oh my god you are exactly the same as me! I used to think I was fat and looking back all I can think is of how stupid I was for thinking that! Now, even though I've lost a little, theres a voice in the back of my head telling me I'm chunky. It sucks.

xxx
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    95% of the time no.
    5% of the time yes.

I think the way you feel on the inside reflects the way look on the outside. I noticed that the days I am depressed, I'm having bumps in the road of life, I have an argument with a friend or family, I overeat the day of or the before I tend to see a distorted version of myself in the mirror. Other days when I am in a good mood and things are going my way, I look at myself and go "damn girl, you got it going on"! haha. Its all about attitude.

A side note: When I weighed more I didn't notice when my body bloated up, oh now I do...holy moly... I'm like a pufferfish.

pufferfish.jpg
  • skykitten
    Options
    Yep, for sure. Had a photo taken at a friend's wedding the other day and I've somehow convinced myself that the photo has somehow stretched/slimmed me as I'm convinced I don't look like that in real life. I'm nearly 5' 10'' and I weigh 140lbs so intellectually I know I can't be *that* fat but despite the size 10 dress I wore, which was slightly on the loose side, I still don't see that in my head even though I see it in the photo. In fact when I hold up the dress, I can't believe my body fits in it, even though I know it does. Strange.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yep, sure do!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I feel 'fat'...but I'm always seeking improvement and hardly seem satisfied with the progress I make.
    agreed.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!
    I see myself still fat!
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Funny, but I never felt fat until I started to lose weight. So I think our minds really mess with us. In time I am hoping my mind and body feel the same.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Still feel fat a lot of the time even after losing 38 lbs, but in reality I am still obese by definition and a long ways off to my goal.

I am however having more and more occassional moments where I feel less fat, and way better about myself though, and that's all that matters in my opinion!!
  • fromfattofitgirl
    Options
    I also struggled with my body image after weight loss. I’ve lost significant weight. I've become healthier and stronger. The body I see in the mirror is everything I ever wanted. But it still feels strange. I didn't know what to do either, just like you.

The thing is that people who used to be fat still have that body image in their minds even after their bodies have changed. Their perception of themselves did not change. This is especially the case if the weightloss happened fast.

I have a tip for you: try on your old oversized clothes! This way you will get a clear perspective of your progress and your current body size.

And there is this exercise that helped me a lot: walk in the dark with closed eyes - this way you will need to rely on your other senses in order to navigate yourself. It connects the mental image that you have of your body with the real life body of yours. During this exercise you will need to work with the body you currently have, and not the image of the body that is imprinted in your subconscious. Do this for 10 minutes a day, and you will see improvements in sensing your whole body.

When I realized that I am not the only one facing this issue, it comforted me to some extent. I’ve felt lost at times because no one around me seemed to understand the impact of this. So I started a blog for tips on how to accepting this new thin you. You can check it out http://fromfattofitgirl.com
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes!!!! I went from 170 to my lowest at 109, now 119...but still mentally I am 170, always will be...
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Yep, I feel skinny fat... working on it though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!