Does low carb make you lose faster?

Options

Replies

• littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I stopped and switched to "good carbs" whole wheat and what not I lost 65 lbs in 3 months (diet and a hard core workout routine) but the I'm sure the lower/good carb switch had a lot to with it.

Dont agree that whole wheat is a "good carb". White bread and wheat bread have the same amount of carbs. You might argue that wheat bread has more nutrients than white bread, but carb wise its just as bad.

I wonder if the OP means 'whole grain' instead of 'whole wheat'?
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    there is more than just calories in calories out. There is hormonal regulation to weight loss. I've seen fitness/bikini competitors eating 1100 calories a day and doing double session cardios plus weight training and not drop a pound. It doesnt make any sense but it happens. There is so much that is unknown when it comes to weight loss.

It’s called metabolic adaptation. That picture you painted is very common. You know one of the best ways to kill metabolism? Long cardio sessions. There is no stress, no room to grow and improve. Your metabolic rate adapts to the exercise. This is what fitness is, burning less calories than before for a given activity. For this to happen your entire metabolic rate has to slow down.
    Add that on top of a VLCD, metabolic havoc. Their metabolic rate is shot. If they’re not losing weight is because they’re not burning more calories than they consume. Once again, Calories In Vs Calories Out. No Exceptions.

If this were the case my days of being a runner would have ruined me. I was not only running every day but on the crew team and lifting. (no kids back then) :) but I burned a hell of a lot of calories in a day. Now I eat normally and just walk.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It feels like carbs are in everything! What are you guys eating to only eat 25g or so a day? Lots of meat?

Meats, full-fat cheeses, dark leaf veggies.

847047-drooling_homer_mzy5cnunepk4_1_.gif
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    there is more than just calories in calories out. There is hormonal regulation to weight loss. I've seen fitness/bikini competitors eating 1100 calories a day and doing double session cardios plus weight training and not drop a pound. It doesnt make any sense but it happens. There is so much that is unknown when it comes to weight loss.

It’s called metabolic adaptation. That picture you painted is very common. You know one of the best ways to kill metabolism? Long cardio sessions. There is no stress, no room to grow and improve. Your metabolic rate adapts to the exercise. This is what fitness is, burning less calories than before for a given activity. For this to happen your entire metabolic rate has to slow down.
    Add that on top of a VLCD, metabolic havoc. Their metabolic rate is shot. If they’re not losing weight is because they’re not burning more calories than they consume. Once again, Calories In Vs Calories Out. No Exceptions.

If this were the case my days of being a runner would have ruined me. I was not only running every day but on the crew team and lifting. (no kids back then) :) but I burned a hell of a lot of calories in a day. Now I eat normally and just walk.

You were a runner. Runners focus on improving. This is what I said previously about adaptation. Runners usually focus on increasing their times and mileage.

Most people who are in to fitness competition as the person described who eats 1100 does a lot of cardio, doesn’t fall in to that category. They decide I am going to do cardio for 60mins two times a day. They set the treadmill to maybe 3-4mph and do cardio. Once time is up, it’s up. They are done. No progress in terms of increased mileage or time. Nothing there to keep your metabolic rate challenged. Increasing time and/or mileage challenged your metabolic rate.

I really just think I was a masochist :D
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb (max 200 grams a day) and I've been losing consistently.

200 grams is low carb???

On most days I have around 150g....unless it is pizza night. I never considered that low carb...I just look at it as moderate.

Hmmm
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's just calories in versus calories out.

A calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    It's just calories in versus calories out.

A calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.

I don't know...maybe. However...a calorie from a cupcake or ice cream tastes much better than a calorie from a carrot...IMO. There just really isn't any comparison between those calories...unless...you are talking about carrot cake cupcakes...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It feels like carbs are in everything! What are you guys eating to only eat 25g or so a day? Lots of meat?

I eat everything my carb-thriving counterpart eats, just without the starch/sugar. That means things like eggs, cream, cheese, nuts, meats, lots of non-starchy veggies.

Main dishes might include stuffed peppers, chili con carne, stews, soups (sans noodles) etc. Usually my dinner plate is a serving of meat & double veggies. Veggies may be au gratin or a dinner salad, chef's salad, greek etc.

Chia seeds, Coconut oil, butter, avocado & fat from pasture raised animals are what I use for my fats.

ETA: I try to keep my carbs to <25/day
  • hookilau
    Options
    I tried low-carb once and didn't stick with it for long because it sapped my energy. Have seen people post that after cutting carbs they had MORE energy than before. I was probably doing it wrong, not eating any vegetables. If I ate low-cal vegetables like leafy greens, do you think that would make me feel better on a low carb diet?

I don't think so. Google 'rabbit starvation'...if I remember correctly it has to do with eating low fat & low carb.
    It's not generally recommended :wink:
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    McDougall and Dr. Christian Barnard and many other notable professionals know that a high carb whole foods vegan diet rich in veggies and fruits will cause weightloss, reverse heart disease, and cure diabetes 2. You can look this up on posts on youtube for interviews with these long term professionals.

I am on this diet, although I am not restricting fat so much, while McDougall recommends low fat. I firmly believe in the benefits of some good fat from nuts, good oils and the like.

I lost 11 pounds in the first 2 weeks eating vegan, whole foods, not restricting fat but by no means going nuts with it, and cutting out refined sugar.

Having said that, there are other ways to eat that also cause weight loss and I'm not sure if they reverse heart disease or cure diabetes 2. I know that ketonic diet does not seem to hurt blood labs and seems to help them quite a bit. Like serum cholesterol, triglycerides. I do not know about the long term effects of morbidity regarding heart disease and curing diabetes 2 as I can't find long term studies on it or any references on cures for these diseases while on the ketonic diet.

There is abundant evidence of reversal of both heart disease and the curing of diabetes 2 on a whole foods vegan diet which is low fat. Not here to argue, just saying my decision was based on what I learned after doing research. I respect everyone's right to decide what works for them.
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    it seems impossible but it happens quite often. your body's metabolism can slow down to a crawl and stop secreting hormones. Normally happens with competitors who are fairly lean trying to get very lean. People tend to have that "set point" for bodyfat where this happens
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

I eat everything my carb-thriving counterpart eats, just without the starch/sugar. That means things like eggs, cream, cheese, nuts, meats, lots of non-starchy veggies.

Main dishes might include stuffed peppers, chili con carne, stews, soups (sans noodles) etc. Usually my dinner plate is a serving of meat & double veggies. Veggies may be au gratin or a dinner salad, chef's salad, greek etc.

Chia seeds, Coconut oil, butter, avocado & fat from pasture raised animals are what I use for my fats.

ETA: I try to keep my carbs to <25/day

Damn, you're almost making me miss the days when I was strictly super low carb lol! No, but I do still eat largely like you describe here. I had some cracked black pepper turkey breast deli slices wrapped around avocado earlier this evening...I almost smacked myself in the face it was so good!

Thing about that way of eating is that if you truly enjoy the foods she's mentioning above, it's a program you'll really thrive on. I think people who do enjoy, and thrive, on low carb long term (for whatever reasons) are the people who genuinely come to prefer the list of low and lower carb type foods.

I'd low carb almost every day of my life even now if I didn't have a wicked sweet tooth that I enjoy indulging.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    McDougall and Dr. Christian Barnard and many other notable professionals know that a high carb whole foods vegan diet rich in veggies and fruits will cause weightloss, reverse heart disease, and cure diabetes 2. You can look this up on posts on youtube for interviews with these long term professionals.

I am on this diet, although I am not restricting fat so much, while McDougall recommends low fat. I firmly believe in the benefits of some good fat from nuts, good oils and the like.

I lost 11 pounds in the first 2 weeks eating vegan, whole foods, not restricting fat but by no means going nuts with it, and cutting out refined sugar.

Having said that, there are other ways to eat that also cause weight loss and I'm not sure if they reverse heart disease or cure diabetes 2. I know that ketonic diet does not seem to hurt blood labs and seems to help them quite a bit. Like serum cholesterol, triglycerides. I do not know about the long term effects of morbidity regarding heart disease and curing diabetes 2 as I can't find long term studies on it or any references on cures for these diseases while on the ketonic diet.

There is abundant evidence of reversal of both heart disease and the curing of diabetes 2 on a whole foods vegan diet which is low fat. Not here to argue, just saying my decision was based on what I learned after doing research. I respect everyone's right to decide what works for them.

My husband has Type 2 diabetes and has it well under control to the point that his Doctor says that if he didn't know he had it, he wouldn't be able to tell from his regular HbA1c tests. Type 2 diabetes can be controlled, managed or 'reversed' through lifestyle changes like a healthy diet and exercise, sometimes to the point that medication can be reduced or no longer needed, but it can't be cured.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It does work at first but it will go back to normal rate later.
    A good balance after will be required.... good carbs,good fat...good protein
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    It does work at first but it will go back to normal rate later.
    A good balance after will be required.... good carbs,good fat...good protein
    What are bad carbs?
    What are bad fats? Besides Trans fats.

This.
  • hookilau
    Options

My husband has Type 2 diabetes and has it well under control to the point that his Doctor says that if he didn't know he had it, he wouldn't be able to tell from his regular HbA1c tests. Type 2 diabetes can be controlled, managed or 'reversed' through lifestyle changes like a healthy diet and exercise, sometimes to the point that medication can be reduced or no longer needed, but it can't be cured.

Indeed.

I think the confusion comes in because people who are Insulin Resistant might reach blood glucose of 'diabetic levels'. However, if they are able to reverse their Insulin Resistance, they are able to maintain non diabetic blood glucose levels without medication. Losing body fat & exercise can be a very effective way to control T2D, however, not a cure.

A cure implies (at least to me anyway) that a condition goes away, never to return.