HOW LONG DO YOU DO CARDIO?

Replies

• I average about 6 hours of Cardio a week.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    at this point i am running 45 minutes to an hour at a time twice a week, and doing body pump classes two hours a week.

and then whatever randomness i fit in on the other days.

but that is lately.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Fasted step master / treadmill 30/45 minutes in the AM 6 times a week - weights training after work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    A normal week would be three cardio sessions. Two one hour cardio sessions indoors, mostly Spinning bike or rowing machine, sometimes elliptical, once in a while squash, once in a blue moon running, (just so I don't lose the ability to run!). One cycle which can be anywhere from one to six hours but typically a two or three hour ride.

Also do three one hour weights sessions a week.
    Not generally a fan of mixing cardio and weights in the same session but will sometimes do a quick warm up on the rowing machine before lifting.

If your cardio "didn't work" then my guess is you were doing it for the wrong reasons!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I logged approximately 354384343434334 hours on the elliptical machine over the course of a year or so. I just started strength training, so I'm transitioning away from so much cardio, though I still intend to do some, approx 30 mins 3x a week, and I plan to mix it up, running/walking outside, using other machines, etc.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    I logged approximately 354384343434334 hours on the elliptical machine over the course of a year or so. I just started strength training, so I'm transitioning away from so much cardio, though I still intend to do some, approx 30 mins 3x a week, and I plan to mix it up, running/walking outside, using other machines, etc.

so... 970916009409 hours a day? lol.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

so... 970916009409 hours a day? lol.

Yes.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    I do virtually no 'planned' cardio. Most of mine happens while going about my daily business such as cycling to work and walking.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    For me it depends on how much I went over my calorie goal. Normally, I do cardio for about 40 minutes to an hour. At the moment i've been really into doing the arc because it's a really good workout and burns a lot of calories. I've also tried to incorporate weights and weight machines into my workout routine but its difficult for me. I really dislike strength training (but have heard its necessary)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I probably average about 5 hours of lifting and 2 hours of cardio per week.

I need to start this. I'm in the "research" phase.

Now I do all cardio: 2 Zumba - 45-60 min ea, 2-3 Vinyasa Yoga - 60 min ea, 2 Body Pump - 60 min ea, 1 free weights - 45 min, 1 Abs, 30 min, 1 Cardiio Kickboxing - 45 min.
    Also I'm training as a Zumba instructor so additional cardio as I choreograph, go to other classes, and practice teach.

Too much. I'm underweight. Decent muscle mass, would be healthier at a higher weight, more muscle. BMR 19.6%.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    10-20 mins 4-5 days a week followed by 40mins of strength training alternating between legs arms etc. Works for me
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Um, a good amount.

7.5 hours

3 days a week I run 50 mins in the morning and 50 mins in the afternoon.
    1 day a week I do hill sprints, intervals or a tempo run for 30+ minutes
    1 day a week I run a long run for about 2.5 hours

I do other stuff too, body weight strength and yoga.
  • N3bolt
    N3bolt Posts: 4
    I look at what it takes to balance my calorie in versus out... If I eat 1400... I look for 1400 out pushing for a zero sum. But, its pretty difficult getting there sometimes and can take me about 90m leaving precious little time for strength training.
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 68 Member
    I average 4 days a week in the gym. I start with 40 mins of elliptical when I'm pushing for weight loss, 30 minutes of HIIT occasionally to change it up. My reward is the next hour I spend with the weights. ????????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Rarely more than an hour unless I'm specifically training for something. I ride my bike 45 - 60 miles per week which equates to about an hour 3-4 days per week. I balance that out with 3x weekly lifting sessions that take me about 60 minutes. I generally do these things on opposing days but sometimes I will ride in the AM and lift in the PM.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    I average 60 minutes a day..... sometime do 30 cause I'm feeling lazy
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    45-60 mins of cardio 4 x weekly then my circuit of weights. My cardio is mostly walking as fast as possible up hills on the treadmill, can't do much else because of an ongoing back problem. weights are upper and lower body stuff with a weight limit of around 40lbs for lower body stuff and 30lbs for upper.I'm just back to MFP after an absence trying to get my back sorted (I had surgery at the end of January to fuse 2 discs) so at the moment I have to do what my back dictates I can. I also walk to and from the gym and managed to do 43 miles in total in 5 days last week.
  • live2run95
    live2run95 Posts: 363 Member
    For cardio I do 5 days a week I do a 40-60 minute run, 7 days a week I do 45-90 minutes of cardio at the gym, 7 days a week 20 minutes of kickboxing. I also do strength training 45-60 minutes a day 3-4 days a week. I do another workout DVD 6 days a week that is 35 minutes. Once my workload lightens up I plan on adding another workout dvd.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    I do virtually no 'planned' cardio. Most of mine happens while going about my daily business such as cycling to work and walking.

I love this. I like to cycle too. Tho mine is from running errands and getting me out of the house while leaving the gas tank still on "full" :laugh: . And walking is still a novelty for me so I luv walking all over the place. :bigsmile:
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    15 mins elliptical, 30 mins treadmill for my cardio days (3x a week)

I also do 15 mins on the treadmill after strength training because otherwise the squats will cause my legs to cramp the next day.