Egg Fast!! Who's in?

Options

Replies

• missliv85
    missliv85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, op I don't know if you're still here, but this is unnecessary. If you're stalling, you may just be eating more than you think. My weight always goes down, goes up a bit, stalls, then goes down, all within a month or 2 month period. With so little to lose, it's just going to take a while. I'm now at maintenance, but the last 2 lbs took me almost two months to get it off. But it always comes off. You just have to be patient. Sorry people are having fun at your expense. But this isn't a good idea. Just be patient and continue eating at a deficit and working out.

Op is stalling because they are very thin according to the Profile pic

Yea, I see her pic. I am also fairly thin, which is why I mentioned that it took me 2months almost to lose the last two pounds. It just takes forever if you're thin. There's no reason to start some silly diet. I understand the frustration, but it's a test in patience :) I stalled for the longest, but I just kept at a deficit and working out. Finally reached my goal yesterday! Haha those last few lbs are a freaking beast lol

Normally I would just continue on with my current diet, which is no to low processed foods, healthy fats and good proteins. All rounding out to 1200-1400 calories. But as I mentioned in one of my posts, I have an event in 2 weeks and I just wanted to try something that might break through the last 5 pounds faster. And again, this isn't something I made up, an egg fast or diet has been around for a long time, and it's helped lots of people break through some pounds when things have slowed down.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hi, op I don't know if you're still here, but this is unnecessary. If you're stalling, you may just be eating more than you think. My weight always goes down, goes up a bit, stalls, then goes down, all within a month or 2 month period. With so little to lose, it's just going to take a while. I'm now at maintenance, but the last 2 lbs took me almost two months to get it off. But it always comes off. You just have to be patient. Sorry people are having fun at your expense. But this isn't a good idea. Just be patient and continue eating at a deficit and working out.

Op is stalling because they are very thin according to the Profile pic

Yea, I see her pic. I am also fairly thin, which is why I mentioned that it took me 2months almost to lose the last two pounds. It just takes forever if you're thin. There's no reason to start some silly diet. I understand the frustration, but it's a test in patience :) I stalled for the longest, but I just kept at a deficit and working out. Finally reached my goal yesterday! Haha those last few lbs are a freaking beast lol

Normally I would just continue on with my current diet, which is no to low processed foods, healthy fats and good proteins. All rounding out to 1200-1400 calories. But as I mentioned in one of my posts, I have an event in 2 weeks and I just wanted to try something that might break through the last 5 pounds faster. And again, this isn't something I made up, an egg fast or diet has been around for a long time, and it's helped lots of people break through some pounds when things have slowed down.

Ok. As long as you are ok with gaining it back. I missed your post about the event. But it just seems counter productive. 5lbs for an event is not going to make or break you. But if you do this, just know that you'll prob feel like *kitten* during whatever event you're going to.
  • missliv85
    Options
    Ignore the low-carb haters. They do this to ANYONE who DARES to eat differently than they do. Anyways, on to your post. I did something similar to that a couple of weeks back, but it was closer to a fat fast than an egg fast. I lost 6 lbs and re-gained two of them before Shark Week hit. Two weeks isn't a stall. If you're not losing on 1200-1400 a day, either you're eating more than you think, or you have entered PISS, or Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. It happens. I wouldn't do an egg fast or a fat fast UNLESS you've been stalled for a month or more. Go on this site and figure out your macros, and just try it out for a month. If you still see no change, then MAYBE do a fat/egg fast.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know what will happen with this 3 day diet. that's kind of the point of it, its an experiment. Ive read about a lot of people who have done similar things and have had great success. I expect Ill gain back half of whatever I lose, if I lose any. But it may be just what I need to do to get my carbs lower. And making rules like keeping to mostly eggs, just makes it simple. I was going to post my progress while on the diet, as well as what happens once I go off. I'm obviously no longer going to do that.

And to those that said I "stormed out", thats not what I did. I couldn't keep up with it, and the majority of it was silly or negative so why bother. Do a little research on LCHF diets. Google it and educate yourself. There are also lots of books dedicated to it. I came back because I noticed the post above just as I was leaving. Why should I miss the posts of the people who understand and have experience with LCHF? I'll ignore the people who are just flapping their lips and I'll read and respond to the ones who have experience (no, not just the one who agree with me. They don't need to agree with me, but as long as they have knowledge, backed up by facts, then Im willing to listen)

Do a little research on why weight loss slows when you have less to lose ... it is more appropriate to your situation than LCHF. You still haven't explained why you posted a diet filled with must do items that you then choose to alter ... thereby negating the need to follow the rules.

You also said you were done with this thread yet keep posting. It seems integrity is an issue for you.

I adapted the rules to me. Because I felt some were silly and I took them more as guidelines. Adding avocado is a good choice and says nothing about my integrity. And I also explained why I reopened the post. Its the same reason I posted in the first place, to talk to people who have knowledge and experience with the type of diet I am choosing. I just need to block out the fluff. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and Im not forcing anyone to do it. Its a diet that is NOT dangerous, its a 3 day experiment to see if it help me lose my last few pounds.

Yet you get upset when others think the diet is silly when your own actions show that you do as well. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I stated in my original post my intensions and my adaptions.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ignore the low-carb haters. They do this to ANYONE who DARES to eat differently than they do. Anyways, on to your post. I did something similar to that a couple of weeks back, but it was closer to a fat fast than an egg fast. I lost 6 lbs and re-gained two of them before Shark Week hit. Two weeks isn't a stall. If you're not losing on 1200-1400 a day, either you're eating more than you think, or you have entered PISS, or Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. It happens. I wouldn't do an egg fast or a fat fast UNLESS you've been stalled for a month or more. Go on this site and figure out your macros, and just try it out for a month. If you still see no change, then MAYBE do a fat/egg fast.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know what will happen with this 3 day diet. that's kind of the point of it, its an experiment. Ive read about a lot of people who have done similar things and have had great success. I expect Ill gain back half of whatever I lose, if I lose any. But it may be just what I need to do to get my carbs lower. And making rules like keeping to mostly eggs, just makes it simple. I was going to post my progress while on the diet, as well as what happens once I go off. I'm obviously no longer going to do that.

And to those that said I "stormed out", thats not what I did. I couldn't keep up with it, and the majority of it was silly or negative so why bother. Do a little research on LCHF diets. Google it and educate yourself. There are also lots of books dedicated to it. I came back because I noticed the post above just as I was leaving. Why should I miss the posts of the people who understand and have experience with LCHF? I'll ignore the people who are just flapping their lips and I'll read and respond to the ones who have experience (no, not just the one who agree with me. They don't need to agree with me, but as long as they have knowledge, backed up by facts, then Im willing to listen)

Do a little research on why weight loss slows when you have less to lose ... it is more appropriate to your situation than LCHF. You still haven't explained why you posted a diet filled with must do items that you then choose to alter ... thereby negating the need to follow the rules.

You also said you were done with this thread yet keep posting. It seems integrity is an issue for you.

I adapted the rules to me. Because I felt some were silly and I took them more as guidelines. Adding avocado is a good choice and says nothing about my integrity. And I also explained why I reopened the post. Its the same reason I posted in the first place, to talk to people who have knowledge and experience with the type of diet I am choosing. I just need to block out the fluff. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and Im not forcing anyone to do it. Its a diet that is NOT dangerous, its a 3 day experiment to see if it help me lose my last few pounds.

Yet you get upset when others think the diet is silly when your own actions show that you do as well. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I stated in my original post my intensions and my adaptions.

The diet is foolish as designed and remains so with your alterations. It's hilarious that you defend a diet that you don't even follow yourself.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    this tread is foolish let it die
  • missliv85
    Options
    I agree.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, the only thing I'm eggcited to read about this thread are the replies :laugh:
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    Gotta say, the only thing I'm eggcited to read about this thread are the replies :laugh:

but they aren't as fun as others :smile:
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    this tread is foolish let it die

I egg-ree!
    Don't tread on. . . people who like the crazy diet train. Live and learn.
  • Workinonit123
    Workinonit123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are only allowed to eat chocolate for 3 days.... you will lose 20lb guaranteed! :laugh:

I have started a variation of your diet - bacon and chocolate, alternate every 3 hours (but 20 minutes is also fine) chocolate and bacon. You can do it for 3 days (but 15 is fine too!)!

So I can't eat chocolate and bacon together!?! Maybe if I eat every 40 minutes
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    . Instead you just turned it into a big joke.

Yep this is all one big yolk :laugh:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    While this is certainly not exciting, it's not as nutritionally unbalanced as people make it sound. Heck if you have 8 eggs, a whole stick of butter, and 4.5 oz of cheese... you're at around 1,900 calories and pretty good on a lot of micro nutrients. Throw in a multi-vitamin, a magnesium supplement, and use "lite" salt (for some potassium)... and you're hitting 100% or very close to 100% on just about everything but Vitamin K. Use butter from grass fed cows, and you're probably getting 100% of that too (since Vitamin K is found in higher amounts in grass fed butter than standard butter).

The magnesium and lite salt are pretty standard for low-carb people (especially at the start where supplementing when them helps a lot with the transition).

You could probably get away without using the vitamin or the supplements with little issues. But, when you throw them in with grass fed butter, this is shockingly nutritionally complete.

This is a link to images of the nutritional profiles I mention above. One is without the supplements. The other is with them.
    http://imgur.com/a/NuLUK

I doubt doing this for 3 days would cause any harm. Not sure if it would be more beneficial than other food combinations that gave the same macros. But, if this is something that appeals to a person, it doesn't look as horrible as the description makes it seem. Also, I left out the avocado in the above. Adding that (either in place of cheese/butter or in addition to it) would only improve the nutritional profile).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    While this is certainly not exciting, it's not as nutritionally unbalanced as people make it sound. Heck if you have 8 eggs, a whole stick of butter, and 4.5 oz of cheese... you're at around 1,900 calories and pretty good on a lot of micro nutrients. Throw in a multi-vitamin, a magnesium supplement, and use "lite" salt (for some potassium)... and you're hitting 100% or very close to 100% on just about everything but Vitamin K. Use butter from grass fed cows, and you're probably getting 100% of that too (since Vitamin K is found in higher amounts in grass fed butter than standard butter).

The magnesium and lite salt are pretty standard for low-carb people (especially at the start where supplementing when them helps a lot with the transition).

You could probably get away without using the vitamin or the supplements with little issues. But, when you throw them in with grass fed butter, this is shockingly nutritionally complete.

Fiber?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    When you depend on throwing in this supplement, that supplement, and a multivitamin you're making the case why this diet has serious flaws even for just three days.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Fiber?

I consume as little fiber as possible, intentionally, already. It only causes me to be gassy and constipated. You can certainly survive without it. It's not essential. I wouldn't consider it something to worry about. If you really can't think of living without fiber, you can consider that as another supplement (a little sugar-free Metamucil in water a 2-3 times a day).
    When you depend on throwing in this supplement, that supplement, and a multivitamin you're making the case why this diet has serious flaws even for just three days.

The diet doesn't depend on throwing any supplements in. Take a look at the breakdown (edited to add the images), without any additional stuff. Take a week's worth of food (without any supplements) of your own and put it in. Chances are, there would be a couple or more days where you don't get close to 100% on everything. Getting 100% on everything is harder than it looks. You've likely got several days that look the same or worse than the egg fast.

And, being short on a few nutrients for 3 days is certainly not going to kill anyone. If you were going to do this forever, then the spots where the diet falls short would need to be considered for supplementation. And, it doesn't take much to get where you need to be across the board.

Edit: For that matter, I'm willing to bet most people here take at least a multivitamin. And most ultra-low-carb people take additional magnesium and potassium in some form. When you initially adapt, all that water weight you lose takes a bunch of sodium, magnesium, and potassium out of your body and can leave you short. After adaptation, you don't need to supplement any more (because you're not losing large amounts in urine anymore). If they haven't continued to supplement, they would probably still have these on hand and could easily add them for 3 days to make the diet nearly perfect.

Edit 2: All that said, I am certainly not in. I don't see how it would benefit me, and I would just end up sick of eggs. I just don't think it's as bad as it seems at first glance. On the surface, it seems horribly unbalanced and nutritionally void. When investigated, it's not really.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    You are only allowed to eat chocolate for 3 days.... you will lose 20lb guaranteed! :laugh:

I have started a variation of your diet - bacon and chocolate, alternate every 3 hours (but 20 minutes is also fine) chocolate and bacon. You can do it for 3 days (but 15 is fine too!)!

So I can't eat chocolate and bacon together!?! Maybe if I eat every 40 minutes

That might trigger a counter reaction - fat and sugars together is similar to eating carbs after 6 PM... you might get fat / put all the weight lost till date back on overnight!
    Try by switching the lights off when you eat - maybe if you don't see what you eat your body will react differently!
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    This sounds eggcellent.
    I'm very eggcited about this!!

On second thoughts, please eggcuse me.

I may have eggagerated my interest.

Was I hell reading through 7 pages of comments. Just posted a few in case no one else did, or if they missed a few...

=D
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    Is that the famous seafood diet- sea food and eat it? :wink: :laugh: :tongue:

Sorry OP, I like eggs from time to time - but no way I want to eat half dozen every day, let alone follow all the other silly rules.

you got it.........I see it, I eat it! :laugh:
  • riley_s
    riley_s Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow so many misinformed people on here, towing the line of old knowledge. Check out Time magazine, National Geographic, how many other new studies showing that high fat, low carb is very beneficial for your health.

Eggs are as close to a perfect food source as we have. And incredibly satiating . If you can't eat anything else you restrict your options, feel full, eat less. To help you break through a weight loss plateau, it's worked for others, it's full of nutrition, why not? And it's only for a few days..

Trying to attack / make fun of the poster and saying it's silly without knowing / researching any alternatives to how you yourself eat, come on...
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Wow so many misinformed people on here, towing the line of old knowledge. Check out Time magazine, National Geographic, how many other new studies showing that high fat, low carb is very beneficial for your health.

Eggs are as close to a perfect food source as we have. And incredibly satiating . If you can't eat anything else you restrict your options, feel full, eat less. To help you break through a weight loss plateau, it's worked for others, it's full of nutrition, why not? And it's only for a few days..

Trying to attack / make fun of the poster and saying it's silly without knowing / researching any alternatives to how you yourself eat, come on...

Nice necro.

And claiming Time or National Geographic are any sort of authority when it comes to research... :huh:

Strong first post :ohwell:

(And FWIW, I dont' think there's anything wrong with fat, or with eating eggs. But I do have issues with any sort of restriction diet, whether it's "close to a perfect food source" or not.)