Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Nay.

Styles change, personal tastes change. The person you are at 20 is not the same at 40. People think "meaningful art" tatoos will be timeless, but how many people hang the exact same artwork on their wall in the exact same place for 60 years?
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nay.

Styles change, personal tastes change. The person you are at 20 is not the same at 40. People think "meaningful art" tatoos will be timeless, but how many people hang the exact same artwork on their wall in the exact same place for 60 years?

Except most artwork hung in the home hasn't been created specifically for you...
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'll say "Yay." I want one, as a reward when I lose forty more pounds. :smile:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos but I do agree that there are a lot of bad ones.

I have one tattoo that takes up the whole of the inside of my arm. I love it, my body doesn't and had a Koebner phenomenon happen so the tattoo isn't perfect like it was when it was first done but if I get it touched up then it should be fine. I want more if my body cooporates.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Nope. People started getting tattoos to be different. Now almost everyone has one, so I'm different because I don't. And I like that. Besides, why give the authorities another way to identify you? :smokin:

How do you know what the behind everyone's tattoos are?

Okay, tell me what other reason there would be? You get a tattoo but never show it off? What's the point of that? It's a decoration. And when it started not many people were doing it so you were different because your body was decorated. You stood out. It got you attention.

Do you do ANYTHING creative? I don't mean this as an insult (okay, well, maybe slightly), but if you do, then you should understand that you don't write, paint, create for anyone other than you. If someone likes it, then great. But if not, then who cares? I got my tattoo to symbolize my change, my growth, my never ending cycle of life. I didn't get it to show off, I didn't care if anyone else liked it.

Your assumption that ALL people get tattoos for attention is ridiculous. Tell me... is that why you get dressed in the morning? Why you put on makeup? All simply to get noticed?

Yes, I am creative. I write. I write not only for myself but to bring pleasure to people who read my work. Artists tend to do the same thing. They want to bring beauty to the world.

I am not anti-tattoo by any means. If people get tattoos to grow as a person that's fine. But tell me that if someone compliments you on your tattoo it doesn't make you feel good?

I just don't think a picture inked into your skin defines who you are as a person. A complete jerk might have an angel tattooed on their skin but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk. It's your actions that define that.

Now with that said I do know people with really well done and artistic tatttoos and they show them off all the time. They are proud of them. Which again, is fine. But you can't tell me that deep down they hope that someone will see that tattoo and like it and compliment them on it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I am not anti-tattoo by any means. If people get tattoos to grow as a person that's fine. But tell me that if someone compliments you on your tattoo it doesn't make you feel good?

I hate when I get a compliment on my tattoo, it makes me uncomfortable, it's for me, not for others. It's actually stopping me from getting my arms done...
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm all for tattoos.
    I have a pokeball behind my left ear, lightsabers with a quote taking up my whole right calf, a peanuts comic panel on the side of my left lower leg, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy huge pin up style on my left thigh, razor blades above my heart, leaves on my shoulder, and a sleeve full of stuff in the works right now.
    I show them off all the time. If you look at them, maybe you just see something geeky. But to me, there's a reason I got each one. I've had this discussion with my mom hundreds of times. *why* and all that. At the end of the day, I like it, and I have the right to do it. I'm not trying to be different, or unique, or whatever. It's like cutting your hair a certain way, or liking a style of clothing, just much more permanent.
    If I'm in a professional setting, I cover them, and that doesn't bother me at all. But yes, I show them, and I like getting compliments. Maybe that's part of why I got them? Sure. It's a form of expression for myself and I want to show that side of me so the world looks at me and knows who I am. THere's nothing wrong wtih that.
  • greentart
    Options

If you are inked from head to toe, I don't anticipate that we are really going to be compatible as we clearly approach life from different places.

This... is sad to me. I know that was judge people everyday based on looks, but truly, there are wonderful, kind people who are inked from head to toe. Just because someone approaches life differently than you doesn't mean that you won't get along. Anticipating that you won't is really no different than not associating someone based on their religion, their facial hair, their car, or what they watch on TV.
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I have a small one planned...hopefully will be able to get it next summer. It will be my first and only. :smile:

This one, right? :devil:

n2R7mUE.jpg
    This one exactly! Right across my forehead. :noway:
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In the Yay camp myself.
  • greentart
    Options
    Nope. People started getting tattoos to be different. Now almost everyone has one, so I'm different because I don't. And I like that. Besides, why give the authorities another way to identify you? :smokin:

Okay, tell me what other reason there would be? You get a tattoo but never show it off? What's the point of that? It's a decoration. And when it started not many people were doing it so you were different because your body was decorated. You stood out. It got you attention.

Do you do ANYTHING creative? I don't mean this as an insult (okay, well, maybe slightly), but if you do, then you should understand that you don't write, paint, create for anyone other than you. If someone likes it, then great. But if not, then who cares? I got my tattoo to symbolize my change, my growth, my never ending cycle of life. I didn't get it to show off, I didn't care if anyone else liked it.

Your assumption that ALL people get tattoos for attention is ridiculous. Tell me... is that why you get dressed in the morning? Why you put on makeup? All simply to get noticed?

Yes, I am creative. I write. I write not only for myself but to bring pleasure to people who read my work. Artists tend to do the same thing. They want to bring beauty to the world.

I just don't think a picture inked into your skin defines who you are as a person. A complete jerk might have an angel tattooed on their skin but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk. It's your actions that define that.

Now with that said I do know people with really well done and artistic tatttoos and they show them off all the time. They are proud of them. Which again, is fine. But you can't tell me that deep down they hope that someone will see that tattoo and like it and compliment them on it.

But you didn't start writing because "Oh hey, I want someone to read this." , did you? I'm also assuming that more artists don't put paintbrush to canvas with the thought of "Oh dear, I hope people like this." Sure, that may come afterwards (especially if you're trying to make a living out of such), but rarely does it come before. Most creative writing classes and books straight up tell you NOT to write for an audience.

I AM proud of my tattoo, because it shows off a piece of who I am and what I've been through. Why would I NOT be proud of that? Do I give two-sh1ts what you think of my tattoo? Oh hell no. I normally forget that I have it, so if someone comments on it I go "Tattoo? Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks."

I can't tell you why other people get tattoos, but the blanket statement of "people started getting them to be different" is flat-out ridiculous. Nor does you not having tattoos make you different or standout. Because for all people know, your butt cheeks could be covered.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I have never found anything I want permanently etched onto my skin. To each their own however.
  • greentart
    Options
    I have a small one planned...hopefully will be able to get it next summer. It will be my first and only. :smile:

n2R7mUE.jpg

Sexy.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I got a tramp stamp when I was 19, before I met my husband his deal breaker was a tramp stamp.... as it turns out it wasn't much of a deal breaker after all. lol. I'm in the Yay category, I absolutely adore tats on men. My husband just got his cover ups done last week and we are working on a full sleeve, shoulder/back and chest on him, all navy related with our kids thrown in somewhere. We are both getting anchors with eachothers initials in them, his is considerabley larger than mine because I don't think I have the body to make tattoos look sexy right now. He's also getting both his calves done, one dedicated to him and one to me. We wanted to get our ring fingers done (he can't wear his ring at work and when he deploys I won't let him take it with him) but apparently they don't turn out very good unless you go really big and I don't want that.

Anyone had their wedding rings, or any any finger tattoo?
  • Snail_Whale
    Snail_Whale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos. One on my shoulder blade of a butterfly and my son's name on my chest where my heart is. I am a fan of them, but I do think they should be taken seriously. Never get one just because others have one and you want to fit in. A lot of thought should be put into tattoos.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

n2R7mUE.jpg

Sexy.

SEE!!!!! :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like tattoos on other people.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

But you didn't start writing because "Oh hey, I want someone to read this." , did you? I'm also assuming that more artists don't put paintbrush to canvas with the thought of "Oh dear, I hope people like this." Sure, that may come afterwards (especially if you're trying to make a living out of such), but rarely does it come before. Most creative writing classes and books straight up tell you NOT to write for an audience.

I AM proud of my tattoo, because it shows off a piece of who I am and what I've been through. Why would I NOT be proud of that? Do I give two-sh1ts what you think of my tattoo? Oh hell no. I normally forget that I have it, so if someone comments on it I go "Tattoo? Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks."

I can't tell you why other people get tattoos, but the blanket statement of "people started getting them to be different" is flat-out ridiculous. Nor does you not having tattoos make you different or standout. Because for all people know, your butt cheeks could be covered.

Yeah, actually, I do write in the hopes that others will like my work. I do know not everyone will, but yes, I write not only for myself but for others. I work with plenty of artists and they are putting their work out there for others to see. With the hope that others will like it.

When tattoos first became popular, I'm sorry, but many people got them for attention. I will retract the statement that EVERYONE got them to be different, I'm sure others had other reasons and still do. As they got better in quality many people get them for symbolic reasons, not to get attention, I'm not disputing that.

But it's human nature to want to do something that will make you stand out. Getting tattoos, piercings, gauging.. whatever.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

Maybe just because I like them!

I can tell you I never got then stand out from the crowed, I couldn't care a less what the "crowd" does.

I have a full sleeve so showing it off is not a option. it makes kids and adults smile, but more importantly I like it.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I like tattoos on other people.

*insert standard, "How you doin'?" message*