Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

If you are inked from head to toe, I don't anticipate that we are really going to be compatible as we clearly approach life from different places.

This... is sad to me. I know that was judge people everyday based on looks, but truly, there are wonderful, kind people who are inked from head to toe. Just because someone approaches life differently than you doesn't mean that you won't get along. Anticipating that you won't is really no different than not associating someone based on their religion, their facial hair, their car, or what they watch on TV.

My fiance has 19, they are on the back of his neck, and right under his adams apple down to almost his rib cage, then down his arms. Both arms will be full sleves when finished but he still have empty space, so not there yet. He still has 4 others that I know of he wants. He's got tatts on the back of both hands and on his knuckels one one hand (he counts his knuckels as one). He also is periced up. He works a nice job, 16$ a hour, 60 hours a week with another raise coming soon. When my family first seen him they weren't to sure about him. But after meeting him he gets complements all the time on how well spoken and how polite he is. My 80 year old adoptive grandfather just loved him to death. I'm a stay at home mom because he wants our child to have a parent at home and believes its the mans place to provide (if I wanna work, I do. I just lost a 5yr job not long after our daughter was born. That's when he said just stay home). He has more manners and values then some people who aren't tattooed. The ink on the skin has nothing to do with a persons character. You can have no ink and still be a total jerk.

from all of that I got $15 per hour?... how can wages be so low in the US
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nope. People started getting tattoos to be different. Now almost everyone has one, so I'm different because I don't. And I like that. Besides, why give the authorities another way to identify you? :smokin:

How do you know what the behind everyone's tattoos are?

Okay, tell me what other reason there would be? You get a tattoo but never show it off? What's the point of that? It's a decoration. And when it started not many people were doing it so you were different because your body was decorated. You stood out. It got you attention.

Do you do ANYTHING creative? I don't mean this as an insult (okay, well, maybe slightly), but if you do, then you should understand that you don't write, paint, create for anyone other than you. If someone likes it, then great. But if not, then who cares? I got my tattoo to symbolize my change, my growth, my never ending cycle of life. I didn't get it to show off, I didn't care if anyone else liked it.

Your assumption that ALL people get tattoos for attention is ridiculous. Tell me... is that why you get dressed in the morning? Why you put on makeup? All simply to get noticed?

Yes, I am creative. I write. I write not only for myself but to bring pleasure to people who read my work. Artists tend to do the same thing. They want to bring beauty to the world.

I am not anti-tattoo by any means. If people get tattoos to grow as a person that's fine. But tell me that if someone compliments you on your tattoo it doesn't make you feel good?

I just don't think a picture inked into your skin defines who you are as a person. A complete jerk might have an angel tattooed on their skin but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk. It's your actions that define that.

Now with that said I do know people with really well done and artistic tatttoos and they show them off all the time. They are proud of them. Which again, is fine. But you can't tell me that deep down they hope that someone will see that tattoo and like it and compliment them on it.

But you didn't start writing because "Oh hey, I want someone to read this." , did you? I'm also assuming that more artists don't put paintbrush to canvas with the thought of "Oh dear, I hope people like this." Sure, that may come afterwards (especially if you're trying to make a living out of such), but rarely does it come before. Most creative writing classes and books straight up tell you NOT to write for an audience.

I AM proud of my tattoo, because it shows off a piece of who I am and what I've been through. Why would I NOT be proud of that? Do I give two-sh1ts what you think of my tattoo? Oh hell no. I normally forget that I have it, so if someone comments on it I go "Tattoo? Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks."

I can't tell you why other people get tattoos, but the blanket statement of "people started getting them to be different" is flat-out ridiculous. Nor does you not having tattoos make you different or standout. Because for all people know, your butt cheeks could be covered.

Yeah, actually, I do write in the hopes that others will like my work. I do know not everyone will, but yes, I write not only for myself but for others. I work with plenty of artists and they are putting their work out there for others to see. With the hope that others will like it.

When tattoos first became popular, I'm sorry, but many people got them for attention. I will retract the statement that EVERYONE got them to be different, I'm sure others had other reasons and still do. As they got better in quality many people get them for symbolic reasons, not to get attention, I'm not disputing that.

But it's human nature to want to do something that will make you stand out. Getting tattoos, piercings, gauging.. whatever.

Yer doing it wrong.

Artists become artists because they cannot live another day with that thought trapped inside them. They MUST put pen to paper- they MUST put brush to canvas.

Artists are artists because their soul speaks through their medium. Not because they want other people to read their work or see their art. Is that a great side effect? Sure. But they go into buisness doing that because they are good at what they do and people happen to like it.

But non artists don't go into business being artists because they want attention. If what you say is true- then people would become artists all the time for attention- that's simply not the case.

As for me- I am an artist- I am a dancer. I love art- I love dance- I love the creative eye and what people's souls tell me or want to share with the world. That takes shape in many forms. It is neither right nor wrong- if it is true creativity - it is genuine- and there is no direct ulterior motive for it's existence. It exists only because that is one one persons soul needed to express and put out into the universe. If it's popular and makes the artist money- great. But there is a reason the expression "starving artist" exists- people don't do it for money or attention- sure maybe one day- but they do it because that's what their soul says they must do. It's also a reason why undercutting is such an issue with artists. People love doing what they do- they feel badly for getting paid- or people think- well you love doing it- why should I pay you for what you are worth.

I dance- I will always dance. right now I do occasionally get paid to dance. But I will always dance- with or without the money- because I LOVE dancing. And when I dance with abandon it what it is- I am not ashamed of what it is and I put it out there because that's what's coming out at that moment in time.

Who are you to judge that and say WHY?

And moving on to tattoos. I'm a YAY person- but conservatively.
    I do think some people get tattoo to make themselves seem like something else. And I do believe there are BAD tattoos- drunk tattoos or poorly thought out chidlish ones. But it doesn't change the fact there are amazing pieces out there.

I'm an artist- I want to see art. I don't like flash- or crappy tattoos that look like they were done by a child. Simple shakey line art- or poor wording is meh to me. But anything that is well throughout and well done- I love- content is almost totally irrelevant to me.

Mine is a book end- it represents a chapter in my life that I'm happy to walk away from and be out of forever. The door is closed- and it represents the person I was- and who I am. It goes with me everywhere I am- and I will have it forever- because that part of my life- happened- and I cannot change that. I'm glad for some of the experiences- but I'm happy to have moved on. My tattoo is as much a part of me as those experiences are.

It has about jackall to do with attention. I find it weird when people mention it randomly. I actually often don't know what to say. , usually I stutter out a thanks.

Do I like showing it off occasionally? sure- I love my back- I work damn hard on it- and I drew my piece- and both myself and my tattoo artist worked very hard on it- so yes am I proud of it- sure- but it don't go shoving it in people's faces. But it's an intrinsic part of me- so sometimes I share- sometimes I don't. Much like sometimes I tell people about those times- and sometimes I don't.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If you are inked from head to toe, I don't anticipate that we are really going to be compatible as we clearly approach life from different places.

This... is sad to me. I know that was judge people everyday based on looks, but truly, there are wonderful, kind people who are inked from head to toe. Just because someone approaches life differently than you doesn't mean that you won't get along. Anticipating that you won't is really no different than not associating someone based on their religion, their facial hair, their car, or what they watch on TV.

My fiance has 19, they are on the back of his neck, and right under his adams apple down to almost his rib cage, then down his arms. Both arms will be full sleves when finished but he still have empty space, so not there yet. He still has 4 others that I know of he wants. He's got tatts on the back of both hands and on his knuckels one one hand (he counts his knuckels as one). He also is periced up. He works a nice job, 16$ a hour, 60 hours a week with another raise coming soon. When my family first seen him they weren't to sure about him. But after meeting him he gets complements all the time on how well spoken and how polite he is. My 80 year old adoptive grandfather just loved him to death. I'm a stay at home mom because he wants our child to have a parent at home and believes its the mans place to provide (if I wanna work, I do. I just lost a 5yr job not long after our daughter was born. That's when he said just stay home). He has more manners and values then some people who aren't tattooed. The ink on the skin has nothing to do with a persons character. You can have no ink and still be a total jerk.

I'm seriously more concerned about they survive on 16$/hr with her staying at home. Kudos.. I couldn't do it!!! (I was making that with only one mouth and board to pay for my horse and I was struggling)
  • laynerich15
    Options
    ^^^^^^ this
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.

And there's where I also disagree. Just because I have some ink DOES NOT mean I won't work as hard or harder then the person next to me. That should be considered discrimination in my book. That's like not hiring someone because they are a blonde. People and the amount of close minded things that they say and do are amazing to me. I for one know I worked twice as hard as my fellow assistant manager at my old job. I have 2 tattoos. She has none. She would rather sit on her butt or on her cell all day. Most days she didn't even get half a days work done. And left the rest for me or the other assistant to finish. So explain why a tattoo should automatically mean I couldn't have the job, but her lazy self could?
  • bthiering
    bthiering Posts: 9
    Options
    I got my first one when I lost 100 lbs. Planning my second one when I hit goal. I disagree with people judging others because of their tattoos. Judging someone for their tattoos is just liking judging someone because they are overweight.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.

I have sleeves. I have an office job making extremely good money. People ask me about my tattoos at work all the time. I've had meetings stop when people want to know the stories behind them.

Tattoos aren't this big taboo like they used to be, sucks that you can't see that though. Congrats on being disciminatory.
  • laynerich15
    Options

And there's where I also disagree. Just because I have some ink DOES NOT mean I won't work as hard or harder then the person next to me. That should be considered discrimination in my book. That's like not hiring someone because they are a blonde. People and the amount of close minded things that they say and do are amazing to me. I for one know I worked twice as hard as my fellow assistant manager at my old job. I have 2 tattoos. She has none. She would rather sit on her butt or on her cell all day. Most days she didn't even get half a days work done. And left the rest for me or the other assistant to finish. So explain why a tattoo should automatically mean I couldn't have the job, but her lazy self could?

I a pro tattoos, but I agree with him kind of.

it does not matter about the quality of the work if you don't fit the brand name I the job. I have a lot of heavily tattooed friends that would love my job but would get no where with customers or upper management if they did.

It is pretty simple, choose what life you want then model yourself off it.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I'm seriously more concerned about they survive on 16$/hr with her staying at home. Kudos.. I couldn't do it!!! (I was making that with only one mouth and board to pay for my horse and I was struggling)

Well apprently we know how to budget. We have a house in a really nice area, we are currently buying. All our bills are paid and we have food on the table with no goverment assistance. We have extra money to spend most weeks as well. Its call budgeting. Spend on what you need, pay your bills first, and sometimes go without spending money on things we WANT if its not in the budget. Keep lights off when you don't need them, only use gass when you have to. Don't run the taps when your brushing your teeth all ways to save a few $. None of our utlities are more the 60 a month.

Plus as I said he works 20 hours over time. Which is something like 24$ a hour. So yeah we are doing just fine thanks!
  • sixout
    Options

it does not matter about the quality of the work if you don't fit the brand name I the job. I have a lot of heavily tattooed friends that would love my job but would get no where with customers or upper management if they did.

Or just make your life what you want it to be, without sacrificing who you are. I had most of my sleeves when I got my job. I wore a long sleeve shirt to my interview, after the interview I told the hiring manager about my tattoos, and discussed that I wouldn't want to wear long sleeve shirts at the job. I was still hired. You don't have to mold yourself to some bs persona if you don't want to. I'm doing just fine for myself, and am making plenty to go get more ink.

Not every job makes you work with customers. If you have an office job, most people won't care what you have on your arms.
  • laynerich15
    Options

Well apprently we know how to budget. We have a house in a really nice area, we are currently buying. All our bills are paid and we have food on the table with no goverment assistance. We have extra money to spend most weeks as well. Its call budgeting. Spend on what you need, pay your bills first, and sometimes go without spending money on things we WANT if its not in the budget. Keep lights off when you don't need them, only use gass when you have to. Don't run the taps when your brushing your teeth all ways to save a few $. None of our utlities are more the 60 a month.

Plus as I said he works 20 hours over time. Which is something like 24$ a hour. So yeah we are doing just fine thanks!

*thumbs up*
  • laynerich15
    Options

Or just make your life what you want it to be, without sacrificing who you are. I had most of my sleeves when I got my job. I wore a long sleeve shirt to my interview, after the interview I told the hiring manager about my tattoos, and discussed that I wouldn't want to wear long sleeve shirts at the job. I was still hired. You don't have to mold yourself to some bs persona if you don't want to. I'm doing just fine for myself, and am making plenty to go get more ink.

Not every job makes you work with customers. If you have an office job, most people won't care what you have on your arms.

you are braver than me, or maybe I just know my CEO to well.
  • sixout
    Options

you are braver than me, or maybe I just know my CEO to well.

A lot of it does depend on what you are doing for work, yea. If you're working with customers, then it depends on the area, and what your tattoos are. If you have some offensive tattoos, then you're probably not going to be a hit with customers. None of mine are offensive (although people do get upset about the skull sometimes), but I've found that being upfront has helped a lot. Also, I've discovered that a lot of management people have tats. In meetings, when mine come up, others roll up their sleeves to show theirs.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo. Will probably get another one at some point. I also had a few piercings: bilateral tragus, nose, belly button, 2 in cartilage in both ears. I got rid of my tragus because it made using a stethoscope pretty difficult (I am a nurse)... I got rid of my nose because my husband hated it (and now he says they arent so bad :noway: ). I don't see anything wrong with it. I like tattoos on men. My husband has zero though.
  • FuzzyPandaMan
    Options
    YES! I have 2 with another 3 planned to cover some scarring. My body is a canvas, it deserves to have art.
    I used to have a few piercings as well, but job hunting dictated that they come out, I haven't gotten anything re-pierced, though I'm longing for my eyebrow stud back and possibly my tongue.
  • laynerich15
    Options
    that is my issue, I have sleeves but am in a Management type roll and am responsible for opening up and maintaining markets all why dealing with upper management, senators etc bla bla bla.

I simply hide my tattoos, they don't pay me what they do to hear my personal views on style and individuality.

Trust me if I didn't choose this life I hands and neck would of been done already.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have 3 and plan one more once baby 2 arrives (will be both names and dates for our children). My husband does not have any but I do find them sexy on a man.
  • sixout
    Options
    that is my issue, I have sleeves but am in a Management type roll and am responsible for opening up and maintaining markets all why dealing with upper management, senators etc bla bla bla.

I simply hide my tattoos, they don't pay me what they do to hear my personal views on style and individuality.

Trust me if I didn't choose this life I hands and neck would of been done already.

understandable. When I go into meetings with the top brass, I wear long sleeves. It's just respectful, I'd do that even if I didn't have tattoos. I'm in a management role though, and in normal, every day work I just let it out.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Too much of a control freak. I can't be certain I will still like it in 10 years, or 10 days or even 10 minutes. Just too permanent for me.
  • bbardwell0916
    bbardwell0916 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay all the way! Actually, my husband has none :( He's a big wimp sometimes lol but most of my back is covered and I plan to add more when I get some free money. I designed most of mine so I haven't decided what the ones for my children will be yet.