Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In general, however, the only thing I ever tell people who say they want to get a tattoo is to wait a few months after they come up with a concept before actually getting their ink. That helps make sure it's still a good idea once the euphoria of the initial "hey, it'd be really cool to get a tattoo of _______" has worn off. Some impulse buys can be easily corrected, tattoos, not so much.

Defiantly the best advice I have 4 A rose an carpe diem on my foot, my star sign on my ankle Chinese dragons on my back and two dragons making a heart on my shoulder (yes i like dragons). Each of them has a special meaning to me even if no one else gets it. I planed each of them for months and even got my tattooist to draw them up in advance so i could set them as backgrounds on my computer when I didn't get bored of them I went n got them done.
    My gift to myself when i hit my next mini goal........ I let you figure that out for yourself
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Hell. Yes.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    One of my least favorite objections to tattoos is "but what will they look like when you're older/what will you think of them when you're older?"

Well.....when I'm older with grandkids to love on and bodily breakdown to worry about, etc., I honestly don't think that my old wrinkly tattoo will be at the top of my to-think-about-today list. As for what they will look like, well, they will look like I had a pretty darn awesome childhood. No pity for tatted-up grandma (please note, I only have 4 tattoos), because tatted-up grandma doesn't give a darn.

I love tattoos, and think they're sexy when done right. :) I've heard from a coworker that mine look unfeminine (I have one on each collar bone, not matching or anything, and 2 on my left arm), but I'm happily married to a man who thinks I'm VERY feminine, and I don't really care how feminine I appear to others, so it doesn't really bother me.

so you're implying that one has to be tattooed to have "lived" during their youth? If this is a widespread thought, wouldn't this lead to people getting tattoos just to look like they're cool?
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have one, and want two more. I like tattoos, but i also like for them to be discreet, covered when dressed up.
  • Raivynsblood
    Raivynsblood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like them, and want one, but too much of a chicken butt to actually go through with it. That and can't really justify the expense either.

this.
  • Deathbyppt
    Deathbyppt Posts: 17
    Options
    When in doubt, get another one
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Yeah, actually, I do write in the hopes that others will like my work. I do know not everyone will, but yes, I write not only for myself but for others. I work with plenty of artists and they are putting their work out there for others to see. With the hope that others will like it.

When tattoos first became popular, I'm sorry, but many people got them for attention. I will retract the statement that EVERYONE got them to be different, I'm sure others had other reasons and still do. As they got better in quality many people get them for symbolic reasons, not to get attention, I'm not disputing that.

But it's human nature to want to do something that will make you stand out. Getting tattoos, piercings, gauging.. whatever.
    Yer doing it wrong.

Artists become artists because they cannot live another day with that thought trapped inside them. They MUST put pen to paper- they MUST put brush to canvas.

Artists are artists because their soul speaks through their medium. Not because they want other people to read their work or see their art. Is that a great side effect? Sure. But they go into buisness doing that because they are good at what they do and people happen to like it.

But non artists don't go into business being artists because they want attention. If what you say is true- then people would become artists all the time for attention- that's simply not the case.

As for me- I am an artist- I am a dancer. I love art- I love dance- I love the creative eye and what people's souls tell me or want to share with the world. That takes shape in many forms. It is neither right nor wrong- if it is true creativity - it is genuine- and there is no direct ulterior motive for it's existence. It exists only because that is one one persons soul needed to express and put out into the universe. If it's popular and makes the artist money- great. But there is a reason the expression "starving artist" exists- people don't do it for money or attention- sure maybe one day- but they do it because that's what their soul says they must do. It's also a reason why undercutting is such an issue with artists. People love doing what they do- they feel badly for getting paid- or people think- well you love doing it- why should I pay you for what you are worth.

I dance- I will always dance. right now I do occasionally get paid to dance. But I will always dance- with or without the money- because I LOVE dancing. And when I dance with abandon it what it is- I am not ashamed of what it is and I put it out there because that's what's coming out at that moment in time.

Who are you to judge that and say WHY?

And moving on to tattoos. I'm a YAY person- but conservatively.
    I do think some people get tattoo to make themselves seem like something else. And I do believe there are BAD tattoos- drunk tattoos or poorly thought out chidlish ones. But it doesn't change the fact there are amazing pieces out there.

I'm an artist- I want to see art. I don't like flash- or crappy tattoos that look like they were done by a child. Simple shakey line art- or poor wording is meh to me. But anything that is well throughout and well done- I love- content is almost totally irrelevant to me.

Mine is a book end- it represents a chapter in my life that I'm happy to walk away from and be out of forever. The door is closed- and it represents the person I was- and who I am. It goes with me everywhere I am- and I will have it forever- because that part of my life- happened- and I cannot change that. I'm glad for some of the experiences- but I'm happy to have moved on. My tattoo is as much a part of me as those experiences are.

It has about jackall to do with attention. I find it weird when people mention it randomly. I actually often don't know what to say. , usually I stutter out a thanks.

Do I like showing it off occasionally? sure- I love my back- I work damn hard on it- and I drew my piece- and both myself and my tattoo artist worked very hard on it- so yes am I proud of it- sure- but it don't go shoving it in people's faces. But it's an intrinsic part of me- so sometimes I share- sometimes I don't. Much like sometimes I tell people about those times- and sometimes I don't.

I love you. You put into words what my shocked brain could not. :flowerforyou:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    yes i love them i have three now but i want more
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't mind them on somebody else. I doubt I'll ever get one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If you are inked from head to toe, I don't anticipate that we are really going to be compatible as we clearly approach life from different places.

This... is sad to me. I know that was judge people everyday based on looks, but truly, there are wonderful, kind people who are inked from head to toe. Just because someone approaches life differently than you doesn't mean that you won't get along. Anticipating that you won't is really no different than not associating someone based on their religion, their facial hair, their car, or what they watch on TV.

My fiance has 19, they are on the back of his neck, and right under his adams apple down to almost his rib cage, then down his arms. Both arms will be full sleves when finished but he still have empty space, so not there yet. He still has 4 others that I know of he wants. He's got tatts on the back of both hands and on his knuckels one one hand (he counts his knuckels as one). He also is periced up. He works a nice job, 16$ a hour, 60 hours a week with another raise coming soon. When my family first seen him they weren't to sure about him. But after meeting him he gets complements all the time on how well spoken and how polite he is. My 80 year old adoptive grandfather just loved him to death. I'm a stay at home mom because he wants our child to have a parent at home and believes its the mans place to provide (if I wanna work, I do. I just lost a 5yr job not long after our daughter was born. That's when he said just stay home). He has more manners and values then some people who aren't tattooed. The ink on the skin has nothing to do with a persons character. You can have no ink and still be a total jerk.

from all of that I got $15 per hour?... how can wages be so low in the US

I'm seriously more concerned about they survive on 16$/hr with her staying at home. Kudos.. I couldn't do it!!! (I was making that with only one mouth and board to pay for my horse and I was struggling)

Well apprently we know how to budget. We have a house in a really nice area, we are currently buying. All our bills are paid and we have food on the table with no goverment assistance. We have extra money to spend most weeks as well. Its call budgeting. Spend on what you need, pay your bills first, and sometimes go without spending money on things we WANT if its not in the budget. Keep lights off when you don't need them, only use gass when you have to. Don't run the taps when your brushing your teeth all ways to save a few $. None of our utlities are more the 60 a month.

Plus as I said he works 20 hours over time. Which is something like 24$ a hour. So yeah we are doing just fine thanks!

I wasn't passing judgement- I just live in NJ- and I was barely making ends meet on 15.25 an hour. I'm deeply impressed you're capable of budgeting a family and a home with that- there is absolutely no way in this state that I could do that. (Not realistically I don't think) But I'm terribly at budgeting anyway- I pay my bills- when I remember- and I like shiny things and make up- and I'm an impulse buyer and a retail therapy person- so coupled with in NJ what is tantamount to low income- and my ridiculous spending- there is no way I could support a family on that pay check. So not a judgement.
    I love you. You put into words what my shocked brain could not. flowerforyou

:smile: no worries, glad I could put words down that said what needed saying!!! I talk to much but I feel strongly about art and just putting out what needs to be there because it's what your soul says. Art is art. You shouldn't ever have to apologize or justify because it is what it is.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos and hope to get one (or many maybe) soon...I'm a very indecisive person so I haven't figured out what to get yet. I know for sure I want to incorporate my three children...I would probably put it on my upper back or feet.

I love tattoos on other people too and love to hear the stories behind them.
  • Pixiemops
    Pixiemops Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate some amazing artwork but sadly not all tattoos are great works of art. Modern inks have really changed the look though, they can look really sharp and clean if done well. That said, I'm not fond of the all over tattoos where one tat merges into another and there is no bare skin left in between.
    Me? I have no tattoos and I expect that won't ever change.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think healthy skin is beautiful the way nature made it, and requires no ornamentation.

Tattoos offend my inner earth-goddess.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I am a nope... I recall being afraid of my grandfather's forearm when I was 4... until I was like 6... THEN he had to try and explain what it actually was (an Indian chief with a head dress) .... also have seen my father-in-law's panther... nothing but a long black blob on his forearm

I have told my 15 year old daughter to fill her boots... BUT to think long and hard about it.. because what seems like a good idea today I have an uncle who thought a "Manson cross" (in the middle of his forehead) was a great idea... 40+ years ago... he has since scrubbed it off with steel wool....

may NOT be such a cool idea later in life... discreet is a good option for those that opt for ink... I see ink as an advertisement that indicates a person's level of maturity... that being said... I think a Motto... or Latin phrases that reflect a person's values is cool...it holds them accountable to themselves

BUT I don't think a Tat makes you cool... or adds credibility to a person's image... if anything it might detract... I did some real cool *kitten* as a young man... by definition I was an explorer... by my own description I was an adventurer... would adding a tat to say that... make me more than I was? be more than I am? I doubt it... Did the Indian head on my Native American Grandfather add to his life? or to my Father-in-law? HE says if he knew now... what it would look like 40 years later.. he would not have done it...

there are so many mistakes to be made in life... why commit to one that may never change and forever brand you as a bonehead
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    One of my least favorite objections to tattoos is "but what will they look like when you're older/what will you think of them when you're older?"

Well.....when I'm older with grandkids to love on and bodily breakdown to worry about, etc., I honestly don't think that my old wrinkly tattoo will be at the top of my to-think-about-today list. As for what they will look like, well, they will look like I had a pretty darn awesome childhood. No pity for tatted-up grandma (please note, I only have 4 tattoos), because tatted-up grandma doesn't give a darn.

I love tattoos, and think they're sexy when done right. :) I've heard from a coworker that mine look unfeminine (I have one on each collar bone, not matching or anything, and 2 on my left arm), but I'm happily married to a man who thinks I'm VERY feminine, and I don't really care how feminine I appear to others, so it doesn't really bother me.

so you're implying that one has to be tattooed to have "lived" during their youth? If this is a widespread thought, wouldn't this lead to people getting tattoos just to look like they're cool?
    Quite a stretch for you to have read anything like that into it.
  • _John_
    Options

yeah, changing "childhood" to "youth" was pretty generous. As youth is a little more liberal.
  • ironanimal
    Options

yeah, changing "childhood" to "youth" was pretty generous. As youth is a little more liberal.
    Eh, more that they didn't state that you had a lousy childhood if you're tat-free.
  • _John_
    Options

Eh, more that they didn't state that you had a lousy childhood if you're tat-free.

saying that it assuredly means one had an awesome childhood wouldn't imply that NOT having one has a less likely chance of being awesome?
  • ironanimal
    Options

saying that it assuredly means one had an awesome childhood wouldn't imply that NOT having one has a less likely chance of being awesome?
    "so you're implying that one has to be tattooed to have "lived" during their youth?"

Not the same thing.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have three. Two hidden, one on my foot. I love them but I’m done… I like them on men too if it’s not too much, tasteful and not all over their body. ;-)