Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nope. People started getting tattoos to be different. Now almost everyone has one, so I'm different because I don't. And I like that. Besides, why give the authorities another way to identify you? :smokin:

How do you know what the behind everyone's tattoos are?

Okay, tell me what other reason there would be? You get a tattoo but never show it off? What's the point of that? It's a decoration. And when it started not many people were doing it so you were different because your body was decorated. You stood out. It got you attention.

Do you do ANYTHING creative? I don't mean this as an insult (okay, well, maybe slightly), but if you do, then you should understand that you don't write, paint, create for anyone other than you. If someone likes it, then great. But if not, then who cares? I got my tattoo to symbolize my change, my growth, my never ending cycle of life. I didn't get it to show off, I didn't care if anyone else liked it.

Your assumption that ALL people get tattoos for attention is ridiculous. Tell me... is that why you get dressed in the morning? Why you put on makeup? All simply to get noticed?

Yes, I am creative. I write. I write not only for myself but to bring pleasure to people who read my work. Artists tend to do the same thing. They want to bring beauty to the world.

I am not anti-tattoo by any means. If people get tattoos to grow as a person that's fine. But tell me that if someone compliments you on your tattoo it doesn't make you feel good?

I just don't think a picture inked into your skin defines who you are as a person. A complete jerk might have an angel tattooed on their skin but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk. It's your actions that define that.

Now with that said I do know people with really well done and artistic tatttoos and they show them off all the time. They are proud of them. Which again, is fine. But you can't tell me that deep down they hope that someone will see that tattoo and like it and compliment them on it.

But you didn't start writing because "Oh hey, I want someone to read this." , did you? I'm also assuming that more artists don't put paintbrush to canvas with the thought of "Oh dear, I hope people like this." Sure, that may come afterwards (especially if you're trying to make a living out of such), but rarely does it come before. Most creative writing classes and books straight up tell you NOT to write for an audience.

I AM proud of my tattoo, because it shows off a piece of who I am and what I've been through. Why would I NOT be proud of that? Do I give two-sh1ts what you think of my tattoo? Oh hell no. I normally forget that I have it, so if someone comments on it I go "Tattoo? Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks."

I can't tell you why other people get tattoos, but the blanket statement of "people started getting them to be different" is flat-out ridiculous. Nor does you not having tattoos make you different or standout. Because for all people know, your butt cheeks could be covered.

Yeah, actually, I do write in the hopes that others will like my work. I do know not everyone will, but yes, I write not only for myself but for others. I work with plenty of artists and they are putting their work out there for others to see. With the hope that others will like it.

When tattoos first became popular, I'm sorry, but many people got them for attention. I will retract the statement that EVERYONE got them to be different, I'm sure others had other reasons and still do. As they got better in quality many people get them for symbolic reasons, not to get attention, I'm not disputing that.

But it's human nature to want to do something that will make you stand out. Getting tattoos, piercings, gauging.. whatever.

As a fellow writer... that's freaking bizarre to me. Sure, when I'm done writing, I hope someone likes it. Do I write it so people will like it? Nope. I write it because the story needs to come out. So... nope.

Again, sure, some people get them for attention. I appreciate your retract of "everyone", but I find your take on life strange. Most people I know with tattoos, piercings and gauges... it has never been done because they want the attention. They do it because it makes them feel like it completes them. I gauged my ear (that's right, just one) and now feel like it represents who I am better than commercially made little trinkets called earrings. Just like I don't put on makeup for all the people walking down the street, I put it on because it makes me feel prettier.

People who live their lives to get attention.... I... I just don't get it.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Nope. People started getting tattoos to be different. Now almost everyone has one, so I'm different because I don't. And I like that. Besides, why give the authorities another way to identify you? :smokin:

How do you know what the behind everyone's tattoos are?

Okay, tell me what other reason there would be? You get a tattoo but never show it off? What's the point of that? It's a decoration. And when it started not many people were doing it so you were different because your body was decorated. You stood out. It got you attention.

Do you do ANYTHING creative? I don't mean this as an insult (okay, well, maybe slightly), but if you do, then you should understand that you don't write, paint, create for anyone other than you. If someone likes it, then great. But if not, then who cares? I got my tattoo to symbolize my change, my growth, my never ending cycle of life. I didn't get it to show off, I didn't care if anyone else liked it.

Your assumption that ALL people get tattoos for attention is ridiculous. Tell me... is that why you get dressed in the morning? Why you put on makeup? All simply to get noticed?

Yes, I am creative. I write. I write not only for myself but to bring pleasure to people who read my work. Artists tend to do the same thing. They want to bring beauty to the world.

I am not anti-tattoo by any means. If people get tattoos to grow as a person that's fine. But tell me that if someone compliments you on your tattoo it doesn't make you feel good?

I just don't think a picture inked into your skin defines who you are as a person. A complete jerk might have an angel tattooed on their skin but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk. It's your actions that define that.

Now with that said I do know people with really well done and artistic tatttoos and they show them off all the time. They are proud of them. Which again, is fine. But you can't tell me that deep down they hope that someone will see that tattoo and like it and compliment them on it.

But you didn't start writing because "Oh hey, I want someone to read this." , did you? I'm also assuming that more artists don't put paintbrush to canvas with the thought of "Oh dear, I hope people like this." Sure, that may come afterwards (especially if you're trying to make a living out of such), but rarely does it come before. Most creative writing classes and books straight up tell you NOT to write for an audience.

I AM proud of my tattoo, because it shows off a piece of who I am and what I've been through. Why would I NOT be proud of that? Do I give two-sh1ts what you think of my tattoo? Oh hell no. I normally forget that I have it, so if someone comments on it I go "Tattoo? Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks."

I can't tell you why other people get tattoos, but the blanket statement of "people started getting them to be different" is flat-out ridiculous. Nor does you not having tattoos make you different or standout. Because for all people know, your butt cheeks could be covered.

Yeah, actually, I do write in the hopes that others will like my work. I do know not everyone will, but yes, I write not only for myself but for others. I work with plenty of artists and they are putting their work out there for others to see. With the hope that others will like it.

When tattoos first became popular, I'm sorry, but many people got them for attention. I will retract the statement that EVERYONE got them to be different, I'm sure others had other reasons and still do. As they got better in quality many people get them for symbolic reasons, not to get attention, I'm not disputing that.

But it's human nature to want to do something that will make you stand out. Getting tattoos, piercings, gauging.. whatever.

As a fellow writer... that's freaking bizarre to me. Sure, when I'm done writing, I hope someone likes it. Do I write it so people will like it? Nope. I write it because the story needs to come out. So... nope.

Again, sure, some people get them for attention. I appreciate your retract of "everyone", but I find your take on life strange. Most people I know with tattoos, piercings and gauges... it has never been done because they want the attention. They do it because it makes them feel like it completes them. I gauged my ear (that's right, just one) and now feel like it represents who I am better than commercially made little trinkets called earrings. Just like I don't put on makeup for all the people walking down the street, I put it on because it makes me feel prettier.

People who live their lives to get attention.... I... I just don't get it.

I didn't say people live their lives to get attention. I said it's human nature that people like to be noticed. I'm not writing so others notice me. I want them to notice my work and appreciate it.

And if I were to meet you on the street, the fact that you gauged your ear won't tell me who you are. Only getting to know you would do that.

Now I don't want to keep up an argument that's going to last all day. If I have offended anyone by my initial statement, I apologize and have retracted it (to a degree) and again, I'm not anti tattoo. I don't judge people by what they do to their bodies. Although, being an honest person, I will admit that if the lower lip gauging catches on, well, ew.
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I have 9, I like my ink.. and i'm really the only one that has too, I don't really care if people like them or not because I got them for me. I like my men with or with out ink ..
    I will have more. PRO-INK!
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan...but if a woman I am interested in had 1 or 2, I could ignore them, but I wouldn't be able to date a woman with a sleeve or a tramp stamp...just not my cup of tea
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    IF you like tattoos thats great but there is nothing that I can think of that I would want permanently etched on my body.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have 5, my hubby has 6, and I hope we both can afford to get more in the future, so YES.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.

Key words being "visible".
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I may just stop on the way home to get another one. :bigsmile:
  • laynerich15
    Options
    I get tattooed every other weekend, yet still manage to hold what most would consider a high paying corporate job
  • bananna30
    bananna30 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Love them!! Can't get enough of them!!
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options

And it's a lot of BS discrimination that people won't hire folks with a tattoo that's visible. What difference does it make if I have a tattoo or not? Does it make me a bad person? Does it make me an *kitten*? No, no it does not. A tattoo, much like having any color of the rainbow for your hair, does nothing but express yourself in one way or another. It does not automatically mean that this person will steal from you or be lazy or any of that. Discrimination based on tattoos is just as bad as discrimination based on skin color. It's stupid and pointless and stems from ignorance.

Note: There is one exception... If you have a racial slur or some other hate filled rubbish as your tattoo, then I will discriminate against you. But that's because you're an *kitten* if you put some sort of hate filled garbage on your body. But then again, I will discriminate against you if you're against equality in any fashion, so...
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    Of course yay
  • laynerich15
    Options

And it's a lot of BS discrimination that people won't hire folks with a tattoo that's visible. What difference does it make if I have a tattoo or not? Does it make me a bad person? Does it make me an *kitten*? No, no it does not. A tattoo, much like having any color of the rainbow for your hair, does nothing but express yourself in one way or another. It does not automatically mean that this person will steal from you or be lazy or any of that. Discrimination based on tattoos is just as bad as discrimination based on skin color. It's stupid and pointless and stems from ignorance.

That said I do kind of understand where he is coming from, there is no way I could be taken seriously if I had neck and hand tattoos.
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    I have seven tattoos, four of which are varying degrees of visible (both wrists, upper arm, and lower leg) and hold a corporate job, and I do hiring (I work in HR). I don't obsess over tattoos, but they can look good on people and be meaningful, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I think tattoos have been "popular" for longer than people have wanted them for "attention", considering they've been finding 2500 year old bodies with tattoos on them. :)

My tattoos are stars, a heart, a pawprint, oak leaves, and a ring-tailed lemur.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Nay.

Styles change, personal tastes change. The person you are at 20 is not the same at 40. People think "meaningful art" tatoos will be timeless, but how many people hang the exact same artwork on their wall in the exact same place for 60 years?

That obviously depends on the quality of the artwork. A tattoo that is personally meaningful and is well executed by a great artist is going to stand the test of time. That is exactly why only have one tattoo at the moment. It's not something I take lightly and a lot of thought goes into what goes onto my body so that I DON'T regret my decision 20 years down the road.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Note: There is one exception... If you have a racial slur or some other hate filled rubbish as your tattoo, then I will discriminate against you. But that's because you're an *kitten* if you put some sort of hate filled garbage on your body. But then again, I will discriminate against you if you're against equality in any fashion, so...

Employers and for that matter people in general discriminate all the time. We choose whom to associate with, what restaurant we eat at, the car we buy etc. My point is if you think that people who don't know you aren't making a judgement about a tattoo you are showing, your kidding yourself. Some will have a positive judgment and some negative. Some of these people may be employers or customers too. The worst applicant I ever had white supremacists type tattoos and swastikas, I made an immediate decision on that one

Yes the key word is "visible" , I have had many employees with tattoos that were located in places not visible in the workplace. I have also seen tattoos that are covered by elastic sport braces on bartenders and such, so I must not be alone in this.
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yep tats all the way, very sexy on a man! :tongue:
  • dtban
    dtban Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    nup, i hate them. u want to draw on something buy a book!! ur bodies arent made for that

Do you shave/wax/wear make up/cut your hair? You body isn't made for that!

also piercings should have been added to the question regarding makeup and shaving...good point....personally I love tattoos, if they are in the right location and are nice, I've seen some pretty awful tattoos but also some amazing ones. To each their own :)
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options

If you are inked from head to toe, I don't anticipate that we are really going to be compatible as we clearly approach life from different places.

This... is sad to me. I know that was judge people everyday based on looks, but truly, there are wonderful, kind people who are inked from head to toe. Just because someone approaches life differently than you doesn't mean that you won't get along. Anticipating that you won't is really no different than not associating someone based on their religion, their facial hair, their car, or what they watch on TV.

My fiance has 19, they are on the back of his neck, and right under his adams apple down to almost his rib cage, then down his arms. Both arms will be full sleves when finished but he still have empty space, so not there yet. He still has 4 others that I know of he wants. He's got tatts on the back of both hands and on his knuckels one one hand (he counts his knuckels as one). He also is periced up. He works a nice job, 16$ a hour, 60 hours a week with another raise coming soon. When my family first seen him they weren't to sure about him. But after meeting him he gets complements all the time on how well spoken and how polite he is. My 80 year old adoptive grandfather just loved him to death. I'm a stay at home mom because he wants our child to have a parent at home and believes its the mans place to provide (if I wanna work, I do. I just lost a 5yr job not long after our daughter was born. That's when he said just stay home). He has more manners and values then some people who aren't tattooed. The ink on the skin has nothing to do with a persons character. You can have no ink and still be a total jerk.