Is your food diary public or private?

Options

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
    i started out with mine private and after a few days of seeing other people's and being able to view them i changed mine to pulic but only friends can view. Maybe i will inspire someone to try another snack? Some of these other one's i have looked at and said wow that really isn't that many calories! I gotta get me some of that to eat.

I don't cheat, I know im going to have good and bad days, its party of life. We are not perfect but we are all in this together to lose
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Public no doubt.

Some of the best conversations come from food log topics. Knowing people see my choices definately makes me evaluate for the better. And I have been encouraged both by other peoples healthy days and their bad days. Those logs let me know I am not alone with some of the same struggles yet more and more, day by day, we get better and better....
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Sometimes I have something like marshmallows or even a cupcake.

^ I understand that. And that's great if you'd rather keep that to yourself.

To the original poster: My opinion is that this is a healthy new LIFESTYLE, not a diet, and there is no way that I will live the rest of my life w/o eating cupcakes and drinking alcohol, etc. so I just log it and it's there for my friends to see. No big deal.
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    Hmm, lots of food for thought here- forgive the pun!!:bigsmile:

I'm guessing opening my diary up to friends is the way forward.

I think I'm nervous of getting criticism if I have a bad day or don't eat as well as I should.:embarassed:

But I like the idea of getting inspiration for meals and snacks from others - and I guess if I'm peeking at friends ' diaries, I really should reciprocate.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only I believe. I don't care if people see what I each, and if I have a bad day, so be it. But then again, I don't give two sh*ts what people think about me anyway haha.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Mine is public bc people run out of ideas for meals. I use it as motivation when I look at others. For example, when I see someone on their pics with a hot bod I like to see what they eat on a daily basis. So if I look at others it is only fair to make mine public.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I think your diary should be private. Sometimes I have something like marshmallows or even a cupcake. This is not every day mind you, but maybe once every few weeks. I can count these and be ok. I don't think I would feel very good logging this for everybody to read. I can stay in my calories and still lose weight, but these are empty calories. I think it really is a personal chioce, but that was my decision.

mine public, if i have a treat and stay in my calories or go over! nobody has commented badly thus far..
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    mine used to be private now it is public to my friends only. I think its better that way bc it may help you not eat those bad things you really want bc u know other ppl can see it. And if you are ever wondering why ur not losing weight ppl can look at your diary and give u advice
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    my diary is public! i don't mind if people know what i am eating at all... i am very honest in my food diary and i never "lie" about what i am eating... like when i went out to dinner to red lobster and the meal i had was 1000+ calories, i still recoded it haha. no need to make things up.
    i actually enjoy people looking at my food diary because i honestly can say i normally eat really really well & i want others to see that too.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Mine is public and I rarely get comments about what I eat. I don't mind if people want to see what I eat now that I'm maintaining. I like to find meal ideas in other diaries from time to time; I don't judge or comment, though, on their personal choices.
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    I keep mine public. If you do that, just stay truthful for YOURSELF. Not because someone may be critical, but because this is for YOU and Your health! I personally like to read others diaries, it helps with new food and snack ideas.

And if you find your friends questioning your foods based on your diaries, you need to remove them...

Misty
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What will 'public' give you that 'private' doesn't?

Do you want comments on your food intake, on whether others could suggest healthy options? Then public may be the way to go.

If you are pretty clued up regarding what is healthy and what is not, and occasionally indulge without feeling 'bad' then private might be the way to go.

It depends what you want from sharing.

I don't, I don't feel the need but it is a personal choice. Good luck!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to the public. No sense in trying to lie about what I eat just because everyone can see it. The only person I'd be cheating is me.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. Sometimes I don't fill it out because it's a pain, but not because I want to hide what I'm eating from anyone. I just documented a Quarter Pounder with cheese and a Med. Fries from McD's in there. Not my finest moment, but I'm not going to fool my waistline by not writing it down.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Mine is public....it gives people ideas & shows that I'm human :)

No one has ever criticized it, at least not to my face :laugh:
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm really torn on this actually.

I can see the benefit to having it public, not so much in terms of comments on it but because it is interesting to view other's food diaries and try to get some inspiration from them.

On the other hand, in general I'm a very private person. I wouldn't like it if there was someone in person watching every thing I put into my mouth, and I don't see the diary as being that much different. So while I can see the benefit to having it public, it still feels a little intrusive. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've been around here a little longer!
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like to make my public. I feel it holds me more accountable for what I am eating. That too is why i display my weight. I am done hiding.
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    mine is viewable to my friends only... I may change to public at some point, but I dont really see the need, unless I was to post a topic about suggestions about my food or something and open it up to people other than my friends. I am honest on it and I know that my friends wont judge me if I have a bad day, they are more motivational and understand that we've all been there and we all have those days....

just a personal preference of mine though, I guess... I tend to be a rather private person in general, although I like to look at other people's... so like I said, it may switch to public at some point. who knows.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I started with it private and opened it to friends only. It's really your call. I've always been 100% honest in my diaries. No one really cares but me. It's easy enough to stay under in calories. Just stop eating for the day. But getting the rest of the nutrients in balance, can be a real challenge. I like to be slightly under on calories, under on fats and sugars and sodium and on target or over on protein and fiber. It's not always easy but quite a daily challenge!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    All I will say is that the entire time I've been on this site everyone has been super supportive and I have a public food diary (for those on my friends lis), occasionally i forget to log my food but most of the time i remember and i am brutally honest with myself. I have had really good and really bad days and I have yet to be criticised by anyone for it. So dont let the fear of being judged make the desicion for you.