Advice at the Gym

Options

Replies

• EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hate 90-99% of people. I don't want anyone to approach me on the street or at any place I may be. If I am walking in front of a semi-trailer, let me walk in front of it. This feeling is further intensified in tight spaces and under duress. If I am in the gym working out, do not talk to me. I don't want your thoughts, your advice or to know what time you plan to be in the gym shower. You may think I'm doing it wrong, but that's your opinion. I've seen a lot of "smart" "fitness" people give advice to others that is completely wrong. Keep your bad advice to yourself. If someone comes over to me, they better be the gym's certified trainer with solid experience or I am going to assume they know nothing and tune out all of their words as I visualize them dropping a bar on their throat.

If I want anyone's advice and happen to decide that there is someone there who's opinion I actually would trust, I will approach them myself.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm always glad to see the full-figured ladies at the gym, because I really want to see them kick *kitten*. Way more than the cardio bunnies with their magazines.

Are you REALLY this ignorant????? :noway:

I lift Monday - Wednesday - Friday. I am always there at 5pm, and the exact same people are there every time. I run at home Tues, Thurs, and a long run on Saturday.

I recently tore a tendon. NO running allowed for several months. You know what I did? I plopped my butt down on the stationary bike at the gym. On Saturdays, I replaced my long run with a long bike ride. I would be there for 2+ hours, putting in at least 30 miles. It needed to be long enough to help replace a 13+ mile run. This also meant that there were a lot of people I never see, who only say me come in, sit down, bike for a couple hours while I read a book, and leave.

Do you really think I need an attitude like yours? Dismissing me as a "cardio bunny" because I had to change my routine up? Jeesh.

I don't think they should be dismissing anyone. Who cares if someone just likes to do cardio? I can't stand the phrase cardio bunny. It's so rude. Maybe lifting is super great for everyone, but that doesn't mean everyone has to do it if they don't want to. It doesn't make them dumb or dismissable. They're just doing what they do just like you.

+1 and thank you for this. The term "cardio bunny" is about as encouraging and open minded as "lunk head" or similar. Both terms are minor pet peeves of mine. So what if someone just does cardio? Is that really something to sneer at? Maybe they can't lift or just don't like to.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Crap, i dont know but i think i use the row machine right, an old guy said i had good form, but i do notice a guy do some weird dip the handles down when it goes in front of his knees, it makes an annoying clicking noise, so i dont do it that way.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay out of people's business unless they literally look like they're going to kill themselves. And that's only happened twice. Both times it was some noobs, loading up the bar with 400+ lbs and 1/8 squatting it with their knees caving in and their back looking like it was about to snap. The first guy gave up squatting eventually because he kept ****ing his knees up. The last guy was so terrifying that two personal trainers saw him from all the way on the other side of the gym and came over to advise him as well. He didn't listen and to this day still squats just the same. It's only a matter of time before he disables himself, and hopefully I'll catch it on video when it happens.

As for receiving advice - I don't mind it, depending on who it's coming from. For example my gym has a good amount of competitive powerlifters and bodybuilders. If I'm doing something wrong, or could improve my technique, I'm open to listening to these people.

I did have this retard one time telling me I was going to hurt myself because that's not how you did pullups. I asked him what the **** are you talking about? I'm doing leg raises. He said sorry I'm just trying to help. To this day I still don't understand what he was talking about.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was doing one of the leg machines wrong and nobody said anything to me. I even saw a trainer working with someone who would look at me and then look away and said nothing. I didn't find out until I was doing it and my BF matter of factly said "You know you're doing that wrong" and then showed me how to do it properly,
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I was doing one of the leg machines wrong and nobody said anything to me. I even saw a trainer working with someone who would look at me and then look away and said nothing. I didn't find out until I was doing it and my BF matter of factly said "You know you're doing that wrong" and then showed me how to do it properly,

I don't get it. Are you saying you would have liked for a stranger to tell you that you were doing it wrong?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If I'm that worried about someone's equipment use, I tell a staff member to handle it.
    The only time I will speak up is when inconsiderate teenagers run in the wrong direction on the track.
    That's just plain dangerous.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Man, people are so grouchy when they're hungry.

She did thank me after she completed her routine, something along the lines of "That was much better". Also by 'reps' I mean she was just sliding around, and the plates were clanging. She was definitely cheating herself out of a decent workout.

I agree about the unsolicited advice, and will likely continue to keep to myself. But she looked lost, so I don't regret offering her help.

Also, "cardio bunny" is a generality. If you assume I'm using it to refer to you specifically, obviously you have some own inner struggles with it. I do plenty of cardio, but don't feel the need to spend 2 hours on the elliptical watching tv at the lowest resistance. For those who do? Soldier on! It's your workout.

If you don't mind the fat girl running on the treadmill, I'm certainly not going to mind the bunny on the bike. ;)

Something for your low blood sugar. My gift to you:

ir4bo0.gif
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    At the YMCA, I pointed out to someone who was having her kid show her how to do all the weight machines, that it is free to get the YMCA staff to show you how to do all the weight machines, while they simultaneously set them up to remember your settings so you don't have to remember them next time you come in.

She blew me off though. Not unexpected.

As for this specific example, if someone did that to me, I would explain that I'm having problems right now with "prepatellar syndrome", where quad/ham imbalance causes your kneecap to dig in and grind when you do squats, and gives you knee pain. So I'm at a low weight because I can't do more without knee pain until I re-balance the muscle group strength. But I would not be mad at someone trying to help and offering advice.

add: I'll second the observation on people-who-do-not-know-how-to-use-a-rowing-machine. Yikes!
    Oh no! I also have that prepatellar thing going on. And oddly, it's on the side I expected was stronger.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

She did thank me after she completed her routine, something along the lines of "That was much better". Also by 'reps' I mean she was just sliding around, and the plates were clanging. She was definitely cheating herself out of a decent workout.

I agree about the unsolicited advice, and will likely continue to keep to myself. But she looked lost, so I don't regret offering her help.

Also, "cardio bunny" is a generality. If you assume I'm using it to refer to you specifically, obviously you have some own inner struggles with it. I do plenty of cardio, but don't feel the need to spend 2 hours on the elliptical watching tv at the lowest resistance. For those who do? Soldier on! It's your workout.

If you don't mind the fat girl running on the treadmill, I'm certainly not going to mind the bunny on the bike. ;)

ir4bo0.gif

I'd bet money that most of the people you're accusing of being hungry eat more than you do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

so now you're giving out unsolicited nutrition advice?
  • amandzor
    Options

I'd bet money that most of the people you're accusing of being hungry eat more than you do.

Hah! I meant that it's lunch time. Also, is this a contest now? "I ate more than you today! I'm the BEST!"

Lets have a chocolate milk guzzle at the lunch table!
  • amandzor
    Options

so now you're giving out unsolicited nutrition advice?

Sure! No-carb, all carb, high-fat, low-fat diets forever!

Also, you can't eat after 2 p.m. on Sundays, and must only eat apples on a Wednesday between the hours of 4 a.m. and 4:15 a.m. Cleanse yourself with Siracha sauce every fifth leap year, and also you must weigh yourself standing on your head.

Man, I should write a book. I'd be rich.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I agree about the unsolicited advice, and will likely continue to keep to myself.

tumblr_mb9h1lxV0H1rooxtx.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Hah! I meant that it's lunch time. Also, is this a contest now? "I ate more than you today! I'm the BEST!"

Nope 10pm here.

Bad assumption that everyone is in your time zone :noway:
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Crap, i dont know but i think i use the row machine right, an old guy said i had good form, but i do notice a guy do some weird dip the handles down when it goes in front of his knees, it makes an annoying clicking noise, so i dont do it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0r_ZPXJLtg

The two big mistakes I see is people who don't pull towards the lower ribs (with the bar ending up at the throat, head, etc) or flinging themselves back so violently that they are practically laying flat on their backs (and not practicing control).

The cutest thing I ever saw was a big buff guy taking his little toddler and putting him on the seat and helping him "row". The seat moved all of a couple inches but that kid was proud.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Nope 10pm here.

Bad assumption that everyone is in your time zone :noway:

.she's upgraded to telling people what time zone they should be working in

tumblr_m80fyhcLf11rn95k2o1_400.gif
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm so hopelessly shy that if someone were to correct me at the gym, I'd thank them but would probably never do whatever it was I had been doing (right or wrong) again for fear of someone "correcting" me again. And I'd be avoiding that person like the plague. That's also the same reason I've never tried the weight section at the gym --don't have a clue how, can't afford a trainer, and I'm the kind of person who really couldn't figure it out by watching a video--I'm a hands on learner, and I'm sure I'd do everything wrong if I tried. (I do bodyweight exercises at home, saving up for free weights on a non-existent budget). So the thought of a random stranger correcting my form in the gym is terrifying to me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    plane.gif

Also, I very recently saw this very wise blog post about taking things in the spirit in which they were given. It seems that would be useful to a lot of people.

Also also, it's funny to see the people who lose their mind over a comment at the gym and threaten violence over it. Never change, MFP.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I don't drink chocolate milk.

And it wasn't lunch time where I was. L2TimeZone