Wait to log your weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    just stick to a set time period trying to allow for random fluctuations like water weight will absolutely drive you barmy.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. When I notice a new lower number, I will wait to see if it shows up again the following couple days and then log it if it does. I feel better doing it that way and like I can trust it's not just dehydration, an irregularity or my eyes deceiving me (hah).
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    daily in the mornings after you've dropped payloads. Weight loss will always be in a trend. Every weigh won't be lower than the last.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I log when I see a new low weight on the scale. Inevitably I will see a slight increase the next several times I weighed myself, but I always go down again and then some more. I figure that rather than having numbers zigzagging up and down, I will only track the losses. And it's motivation to get back to that lower number! Hope this makes sense.
    I do this. I would hate to log if I'd gained! It's all a mind game and logging a gain would pee me off lol. I kind of regret it now though, it would have been neat to see a trend. Right now the graph just goes down.
  • kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I've heard so many different things, not daily, daily, weekly or what ever. I like to see the changes, but the overall trend is going down. For example I may weigh 260, then 258, then 258, then 257, then 255, then 258, then 255. But that high of 260 never comes back around. I like to keep control of what's going in and out of my body. Now as far as logging goes, as soon as I jump on the scale and the whole number (such as 255.8 vs 255.4 vs 254.8 - I only log the whole number drops) is lower than the last I logged, I just log it. Tomorrow it may be up, but so what? If it takes a week to see another lower number I just leave it. My thought process is: It's easier to get a wrong HEAVIER weight than as wrong LOWER weight. Chances are you really are the smaller number, and the larger number is reflecting water. That's just me!
  • kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I log when I see a new low weight on the scale. Inevitably I will see a slight increase the next several times I weighed myself, but I always go down again and then some more. I figure that rather than having numbers zigzagging up and down, I will only track the losses. And it's motivation to get back to that lower number! Hope this makes sense.
    I do this. I would hate to log if I'd gained! It's all a mind game and logging a gain would pee me off lol. I kind of regret it now though, it would have been neat to see a trend. Right now the graph just goes down.

Me too!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. Personally, I weigh each week but log twice a month (due to female anatomy, uh "issues") :blushing:
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options
    I weigh all the time, but log it only once per week, on Fridays.
  • PennyJB63
    PennyJB63 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, scale in the same spot, after the bathroom before I eat or drink anything. I log only when the new low or high has stuck around for a few days. It helps me focus on what good or bad choices impacted me since for me they happen right away. I can work late and have a long commute. If I chose to still eat dinner it will go up. If I chose to be hungry that night it will go down but the following day it will level back off as long as I didn't really over indulge. I do admit to visiting the scale at random times and it is an addiction I am trying to curb.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Lot of people like to weigh in daily and then calculate the average for the week and go by that. I just weigh daily and basically see the trend without actually putting it on spreadsheet like the really anal people do.

When I was really trying to lose weight I'd only "count" my Sunday morning weigh in but more recently I just do it daily but casually. I'm not anal about it at all now, mainly just the mirror counts at this point. The only time I was super anal about it was the last week before the competition because I had to make sure I was going to make weight by the time the official weigh in happened.

Keeping in mind the only real reason I lost weight in the first place was to make weight for a competition that had weight classes involved. The comp is already over and I'm reverse dieting now but still losing a little weight in the meantime.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Official weigh-in day is Tuesday - I get up, use the bathroom, strip, and weigh. Sometimes I do a few weighs to make sure I didn't step wrong and skew the scale, but the Tuesday morning number gets logged. I might weigh myself on other days, but I don't log it unless for some reason I didn't on Tuesday. I've only once weighed in heavier than the week before, and that was probably a combination of water weight from traveling, and using a different scale while traveling. When I see an unusually large drop, it's generally preceded or followed by a week or two of very small losses.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I log my weight using the doc's scales (every 3 months), but I weigh myself inbetween just to keep an eye on it.
  • hawaiiandream
    hawaiiandream Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day same time, naked but only log a loss. If I gain, I don't want a bunch of cudo's for weight loss that I already lost, so I make sure I stay the same until I lose again.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before breakfast, after going to the loo and naked. I used to only log on Monday's and log whatever the weight. I now log new lows when I've had it 2 days in a row, or 3 days out of a few. I'll log a consistent gain if I know the reason is too much food or too little exercise, I don't fluctuate much though, I'm fairly consistent every day so I don't often get gains that I don't log as a real gain.

It might seem like a weird way to people, but it's how I do it, it works for me and even though I weigh every day I don't stress about the numbers and don't care if there is a gain, if it is there and there's no reason it's only temporary so I don't think anything of it, if there's a reason then I made those choices for that weekend/week so what else would I expect! I can always get back on track before it turns into multiple gains so it just provides me a bit of motivation to re-focus if I need it.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record (log) daily.

It goes up and down so much that if I only did at weekends I could well get discouraged. Once I get the lowest weight I count that as what I am, with the couple of pounds or so additions as normal fluctuation, unless it goes on for more than a few days at a steady higher figures.

No science to it whatsoever, but it works for me :smile:
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I log myself every morning in light pajamas - after I head to the bathroom, before I eat breakfast. I haven't been on MFP long, but logging every day has actually helped me stop obsessing over the day-to-day fluctuations and focus on the overall trend. Even if my weight goes up a bit, I log it anyway and don't let it bother me, because I know it'll swing back down in the next day or two.
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ^^^THIS VERY WELL SAID
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i weigh every morning after i use the bathroom, before i eat anything, in just my underwear. i know very well the random fluctuations that happen, but because they are so random for me (one day i can be 2 lbs heavier than the day before, and then the next day 1 lb lighter, then so on and so forth), i like to weigh every day to catch the days that actually show the lowest weight. but i don't log daily -- i only log when the scale shows a lower number than the last lowest number i had. does that make sense?