Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yay! I have only one at the moment but as soon as I have extra cash I plan on getting more.

All of them will have meaning to them. Like the one I have now it a memorial for my mom.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Rocket_Man44 Posts: 896
    Options
    YAY!
  • eeriesilence
    eeriesilence Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    100% yay for tastefully done tattoos. Tattoos are motivation for me; it's a reward once I meet my GW. :)
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    hell Yay!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I find I'm liking them more and more the older I get. :) I admit to not being crazy about head to toe tats, nor do I like the darker art (not color-wise, subject-wise). I am contemplating my first tat (and likely my one and only) within the next month or so and, to that end, am researching artists in town. My planned design has meaning to me... meaning which will never change since it will be related to my kids.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    This question might be a silly one, but please take it for being as sincere as I intend it to be . . . for all of you people with tattoos, did you just jump right into getting one? If yu took your time about getting one, did you ever consider getting or actually gett a henna tattoo to try the idea out? Whether you did or you didn't, would you think it's a good idea for someone on the fence about getting a tattoo to try a henna design first?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I got a couple as you see in my AVI. One of them I need to get touched up to remove my soon to be ex-wife's name. Luckily it's a small part of the tattoo so should be easy to cover.
  • xRedRockerx
    xRedRockerx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm getting a frog prince on my wrist in memorial of my mother in a couple of weeks. I'd also like a quote of some kind, I have a few planned but I don't want to get one for the sake of it (especially as I can't decide) so I'm holding off on that.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This question might be a silly one, but please take it for being as sincere as I intend it to be . . . for all of you people with tattoos, did you just jump right into getting one? If yu took your time about getting one, did you ever consider getting or actually gett a henna tattoo to try the idea out? Whether you did or you didn't, would you think it's a good idea for someone on the fence about getting a tattoo to try a henna design first?

I put a TON of thought into mine. I was 27 when I got my first one. I'll be 34 in October and just settled on what I want for number 2. Henna would be a good way to go to see how you feel about something, and there are also some companies that will turn any design you submit into a temporary tattoo just for this purpose as well. But my thinking is, if you have any hesitation whatsoever, don't do it. I know, at least for me, when I found what I was looking for it was like the heavens parted and I heard angels singing and I knew it was "the one". I wouldn't get anything scribed permanently onto my body unless I had that feeling about it.
  • eeriesilence
    eeriesilence Posts: 73 Member
    Options

For my feet tattoos (cats, if anyone is curious) - I jumped right in, drew up the design the night before and I still looooove it. The only reason I plan on changing/covering them up is because my right foot came out demented looking (he must have went out back and drank a few bottles of wine during the break, because holy moly terrible!) The rest of my tattoos/plans (of which I have many) were all thought of in advance. I've actually had a few artist friends draw some of them on me several times over the course of several months (even years, in some cases) to see if I like the placement/design etc. It totally depends on your idea of tattoos, how you view them. Henna is a great idea~!
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    nay for me
  • IlSB82910
    IlSB82910 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a simple tattoo... so far...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MOST, but not all, of the time when I see them they look cheap, trashy and make people's skin look dirty. This is especially true if there are numerous clashing and/or overlapping tats randomly spread all over the place. They often distract visually from people who might otherwise look good, or they clash with the outfits people wear. Occasionally I will see a really quality, well-placed tattoo that looks like beautiful art. Now that I don't mind looking at. Too bad most look so tacky and unoriginal. Not for me, but I have nothing against anyone else getting tattoos, other than aesthetically speaking. Stay classy...:drinker:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I was only sort of asking for myself--at 53 I think the time for a first tattoo has passed--and honestly, I'm not sure I like anything enough to cover myself with it permanently. I'm warming to the idea of a henna tattoo or two in the future, especially when I feel comfortable aring my arms and legs again. :happy: However, I have a much younger friend who is leaning heavily toward getting a tattoo and she is not always the decisive type. I suggested a henna tattoo to her and, after someone here suggested a temporary tattoo, I suggested that as well. She *really* appreciated that suggestion.

So thanks for the help--you've made two people very happy today!
  • SVRich
    SVRich Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I agonised over it for years (a good decade at least), I knew I wanted a sleeve and was originally going to get a Japanese style one as I liked the idea of a bright colourful but when I finally decided to start I actually changed that to one based on a game series called Bioshock which was a last minute decision tbh but I have been a gamer for a long time and I decided it would be more me. I also agonised of an artist for a while. So I guess I didn't jump in to getting one but the design change was pretty last minute, I guess until it came time to put needle to skin I was thinking of thinks I kinda liked but then settled on something I really wanted.

I was expecting more negative comments in this thread tbh but on the whole it has been pretty pro tattoos.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    I don't trust people with tattoos

Don't trust people that use movie pictures as their DP
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don't find them attractive.
  • laynerich15
    Options

you should read more comments. =)

Why would you say that?
  • mizvandyk_82
    Options
    Love them but not all over the arm or neck or face. I have two
  • laynerich15
    Options

you should read more comments. =)

Why would you say that?
    because I have commented about my tattoos (many)......and I have started tattoo threads in the forum myself.

Have fun with it......and don't take tattoo hate to heart. Most people are just being sarcastic.

tumblr_l6cioeun1F1qzyvbno1_400.gif