Lies I told myself

Options
Why I could never lose weight (of course, not my fault):

1. Something must be physically wrong with me because I'm never hungry. Reality: I was eating all of the time and never allowed myself to get hungry.

2. I eat healthy and don't really eat that much anyway. Reality: just because I only take half of a donut doesn't make it a healthy choice; and don't forget grazing and foraging (you know, snacking off the family's plates as I clear the table).

3. A candy bar every day is not that bad. Reality: every day! Really?! What about the ice cream or (and) cookies later? How quickly I forgot.

4. I do sit ups so my stomach pouch must be a physical ailment. Reality: TOO MANY BAD CARBS AND SUGAR! (see #3)

5. I have a set point and can never go below it (again, convinced myself it was a physical thing). Reality: all in my head!

What about the rest of you? What lies/myths have you shattered?

Replies

• MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My biggest lie and obstacle,"I've never been skinny so I must be destined to be fat forever. This is just how my body is supposed to look."
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I think the mindless snacking and eating till I wanted to throw up! All not normal. Love that you put this up. :)
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I didn't really eat that much today, so it's okay if i have that extra slice of pizza.

I'm generally pretty healthy and I exercise more than most, so I'm doing alright.

Alcohol doesn't really count.

GREAT THREAD!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't look that overweight. Reality: Um, yes you do. I saw a picture of me and knew it was time to start getting serious.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    Well, I don't LOOK like I weigh 190 pounds............
  • happy_vegan
    Options
    I don't look that overweight. Reality: Um, yes you do. I saw a picture of me and knew it was time to start getting serious.

SO TRUE. go us!
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    "God must want me to be this way."
    No he gave me the knowledge NOT to be this way just use it!!!

"My hubby likes me just the way I am!"
    He loves me, not my image. I am sure he will be just as excited as I am this summer when I look great in summer clothes and can show some more skin.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    [01] If it's 'healthy' food, you can eat as much as you want.
    True you can eat more if you are eating good food rather than bad food, but I was eating for four!!

[02] Being busy = exercise.
    Sorry it just doesn't.

[03] You're not fat - it just seems like it because you're 5'-0" - the scale reads the same.
    Actually, even if the scale reads the same, some people start losing 1/2# of muscle per year when they hit their mid-30s.
    This slowdown in metabolism means that if you don't exercise more and you keep eating that same amount, your body can flabbier and fluffier.

Bingo. :laugh: That's why I'm here!

Good luck everyone!!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    i have no will power
    one more bit wont hurt
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    - If I lose weight I won't look right
    - If I lose weight I won't be able to maintain it
    - eating healthy cost too much
    - eating healthy doesn't taste good
    - I might not like who I am once I lose weight
    - My husband may not like me once I return to being slim & trim
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    "I'm not that fat" - I AM that fat.
    or
    "It's alright. My fiance loves me for who I am, not how I look" - True but he also wants me to be healthy.
    or
    "I can carry the weight" - Yeah, no. Muffin tops = you can't carry the weight.
  • lisamaria63
    Options

Yep that was me!
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest one was that "I eat really healthy" (which in a way was true...we did eat really healthy meals, but I never stopped eating AFTER those meals...I'd snack on cheese, crackers, wine, chocolate and anything else that came my way AFTER my healthy meals) so it was kind of pointless.

Another one was that I couldn't exercise, that I was too tired, had too many responsibilities, or someone else was preventing me from getting my workout in. Just not true, I can certainly find the time now!
  • happy_vegan
    Options
    I think my biggest one was that "I eat really healthy" (which in a way was true...we did eat really healthy meals, but I never stopped eating AFTER those meals...I'd snack on cheese, crackers, wine, chocolate and anything else that came my way AFTER my healthy meals) so it was kind of pointless.

Another one was that I couldn't exercise, that I was too tired, had too many responsibilities, or someone else was preventing me from getting my workout in. Just not true, I can certainly find the time now!

so relatable... they should make this a mandatory statement for everyone to read so they know they're not alone. eat a healthy meal then going out and binge drinking or eating bar food = NOT HEALTHY! just because it's after 9pm doesn't mean it doesn't count.
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am certainly guilty of that...once the kids would go to bed, we'd have wine and snacks...um THOSE STILL COUNT...I would just pretend they were freebies!
  • katzplay62
    Options
    No one believed I was up to 289 and rapidly closing in on 300. Not even me. Reality: if my employer knew I was over the weight limit for my ladder, I'd have lost my job.

I'm tall so I can carry the extra weight gracefully. Reality: there was nothing graceful about size 22 jeans.

I did martial arts for 6 years and I'm still very strong. Reality: yes muscle weighs more but fat is FAR bulkier. And I can't do push-ups any more.

Black hides everything. Reality: nothing hid me.

Cheers

Kat
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mine was "Well, I am getting a little older, and everyone puts on some weight as their metabolism slows down".

Which is kinda true. Past adolescence to your 20s, your metabolism DOES slow down and it IS easier to gain weight. That's what happened with me.

But it doesn't mean I have to keep the weight on. I can lose it, and am losing it. And while I might never weigh what I did in high school again, I can be slim and fit and I don't have to live with this muffin top forever.

And I HEAR YOU about the candy. I have an awful sweet tooth. I allow myself 2 candy bars a week (one during the week, one on the weekend) and ONLY if they fit into my calorie goal.
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    I really don't eat that much:::LIE, I was eating over 3000 cals a day and no exercise. Would just eat all at once!!

Even if I lose weight I will still have loose skin;;;LOOSE SKIN IS MUCH NICER IN SIZE 6 then size 18!!!

Because fat cells don't go away when you lose weight, I am destined to be fat forever....OH PLEASE

I am too stressed and I need to make good decisions at office and when diet, my mind doesn't work and I am mean to people I work with and could damage my career!! That one makes me laugh now!!! LOL

xoxox love this thread
  • happy_vegan
    Options
    how about:

skinny people can eat fatty things easier than i can, they just don't gain the weight like i do. (i.e. it's not my fault - i'm eating what 'those people' are eating...NOT TRUE!)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    "I can carry the weight" - Yeah, no. Muffin tops = you can't carry the weight.

Ahahaha! I totally came to that conclusion about myself in the same way. Ugh, muffin top.