"Fake geek girls" debunked

Options

Replies

• Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't care if they're fake or not, as long as they watch Ninja Turtles with me, I'm good.

Which Ninja Turtles?

3_full.jpg

Hell YES.

[place fist here]
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Trollin' for booty at comic conventions.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The snark in this thread is unacceptable and you're all meanies.

I find your reply very offensive.

I'm offended that you're offended.

Your offense started the offensiveness that offended me.

I have reported you all.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just be interested in the things that interest us without worrying that another person is going to question the authenticity of our interest?

That would be great.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    2gOK5el.gif

All I see is a dark skinned Kevin James....
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I often get accused of being a 'fake geek girl'. And then I open my mouth and allay all doubts. Anyone who walks into my house can see by my book & movie collection that I am way geekier than I look, let alone most PEOPLE. Then the guys rarely talk to me again because I guess the quantum mechanics books for fun thing is a bit too far. >.< Or maybe that I've been working on computers longer than most of my friends have been on the planet, and made my career in it for 23 years. Eh, I am who I am, and that's all that matters.
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I witnessed this behavior at a few of the local conventions and I just don't get it... and often those same people often wondered why there weren't more women involved in the comic/gaming/RPG culture... *sigh*

I have been blessed with a group of gamers that is a 50-50 split down the gender line and it's awesome. My wife and I will be the first to tell new players that if they have issues with "Geek girls" then they can find another place to game. There aren't "geek girls"... there are just "geeks" and dividing it up by gender is futile.

And as for all the people who picked on me for my hobbies that have now jumped onto the bandwagon, now that it's popular...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhgupR565Q
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Tons of them on youtube and gaming sites.. Often large chested woman who claim to be geeks so they can setup a cam of themselves playing a video game and their neckbearded Reddit audience can tip them $$$ because they feel like they are watching their dream woman live, even though it's all a lie.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Tons of them on youtube and gaming sites.. Often large chested woman who claim to be geeks so they can setup a cam of themselves playing a video game and their neckbearded Reddit audience can tip them $$$ because they feel like they are watching their dream woman live, even though it's all a lie.

Classy. Did you actually watch the video the OP posted? Or are you just commenting random sexist nonsense?
  • trojan_bb
    Options

Classy. Did you actually watch the video the OP posted? Or are you just commenting random sexist nonsense?

First, it can't be nonsense if it's fact. Every person in the gaming world knows of this phenomena. If you are denying there are signficant number of people, many of them women and what this topic was about, who dramatically overstate their geeky interests to gain attention.....you are living under a rock. It also can't be sexist if it's fact. Is it also sexist to say that camgirls and strippers let lonely men live out fantasies?

Do you just throw out "sexist nonsense" whenever you dont understand something?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

First, it can't be nonsense if it's fact. Every person in the gaming world knows of this phenomena. If you are denying there are signficant number of people, many of them women and what this topic was about, who dramatically overstate their geeky interests to gain attention.....you are living under a rock. It also can't be sexist if it's fact. Is it also sexist to say that camgirls and strippers let lonely men live out fantasies?

lol, probably more then half the internet is some sort of variation on this theme. i guess i could see that as being something of a surprise to women tho
  • miss_jessiejane
    Options

First, it can't be nonsense if it's fact. Every person in the gaming world knows of this phenomena. It also can't be sexist if it's fact. Is it also sexist to say that camgirls and strippers let lonely men live out fantasies?

Really?? Implying that a female can't enjoy video games because she has a large chest SEEMS pretty dang sexist to me. It also sounds like nonsense. Am I saying that no woman would ever do it to exploit a man? No, I'm not, but to imply that women are automatically faking being nerdy simply because they happen to also be attractive is absurd. But what do I know, I have big boobs, I'm probably just after your money.

Also, FIFY.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

No, that's not sexist. It's american capatalism at it's finest. If men want to pay women for that that's their own thing. I know plenty of "Fake Geek Girls" who like to spend time with geeky guys free of charge or expectation.. just throwin' that out there..
  • trojan_bb
    Options

First, it can't be nonsense if it's fact. Every person in the gaming world knows of this phenomena. It also can't be sexist if it's fact. Is it also sexist to say that camgirls and strippers let lonely men live out fantasies?

Really?? Implying that a female can't enjoy video games because she has a large chest SEEMS pretty dang sexist to me. It also sounds like nonsense. Am I saying that no woman would ever do it to exploit a man? No, I'm not, but to imply that women are automatically faking being nerdy simply because they happen to also be attractive is absurd. But what do I know, I have big boobs, I'm probably just after your money.

Also, FIFY.

Reading comprehension please.

I didn't imply anything like that and it takes a pretty giant leap to even make that claim, but it does show exactly where you're coming from.

Struck a nerve with you and all logic flew out the window.

Edit, also fixed it before ya. Thanks. You are so smart! Definitely a redditor I see. Hence the meltdown
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    meh
  • tart_of_darkness
    Options
    You'll have to excuse me if this has already been said, but the amount of energy people put into disproving other's notions of themselves is nothing short of ludicrous.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I feel like geek is a spectrum. For example. My friend thinks I'm insane because I have star wars, batman, pokeman, and serenity themed tattoos. In turn, I think my other friend is a bit nuts because she hand designs her cosplay costumes.

I've gotten crap before because my lightsaber tattoo isn't "proportional" or "Prefectly accurate" and therefore I only like Star Wars because...-insert stupid reason here-. Whatever. To some people, I'm incredibly geeky, to others I'm not at all. Sliding scale. I like what I like. Deal.

I think your haircut is evidence enough, but I agree with you: geeky is in the eye of the beholder. I'm a synthesizer geek and there are whole online communities of us out there. It has nothing to do with traditional "geek" culture, but it's still pretty geeky.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    <<< Geek chick married to geek guy, has boobs and *kitten*. Was first approached by husband because I was the only chick in High school he ever saw wearing a Princess Leia t-shirt.

And yea, I know about the concept of "fake geek chicks", my thoughts are there's a few suckers in every group.
  • miss_jessiejane
    Options

Also, FIFY.

I didn't imply anything like that and it takes a pretty giant leap to even make that claim, but it does show exactly where you're coming from.

Edit, also fixed it before ya. Thanks. You are so smart! Definitely a redditor I see. Hence the meltdown

Oh dang! Here, let me just post a link to my site so y'all can pay good money to see me "play" video games. Or for a low, flat fee, I'll long conversations with you in Klingon. I gotta go now, the UPS man just delivered my Starfire costume!!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

Also, FIFY.

Strike a nerve! Sir, everything you've written reeks of bitterness and disdain. Please check yourself before you wreck yourself and insult nice girls. Please and thank you.