WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

IHi,

I was wondering if I can join your group or be friends. I am 52 years female from Fort Lauderdale, FL. Looking for help with proper eating and calorie intake. Been struggling for over a year. I stalled out and just can't seem to drop any more weight. Go to gym 5 days a week for weights and cardio.

If anyone can help me out please friend me.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    morning all~I didnt go to the gym:grumble:
    woke up at 11:30 last night with the same darn sciatic pain, I am at my wits end.. I did lose a bit more weight..am eating right..but I dont want to have to go to the Dr again.i finished the steriods, I am wondering if either I re injured when I slipped on the stairs, or twisting in the dental chair all afternoon..
    I will take it easy today and look up some exercise for it on the internet
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Allison, I think you have totally been overdoing the back. The yard work, etc., etc. You are just going to have to rest it.

I wasn't feeling the early morning walk today. My arm/hand was killing me when I first woke up. I took it easy, did stretches with my hand and arm, drank my Spark then had coffee and Special K. I'll walk with DH when he goes for his second round. It is so nice having options!

Y'all have a good day,
    k
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Alison, Patty, and Linda ... congratulations on the losses!
    Sylvia ... woohoo on the nsv!!
    Joyce ... I didn't realize there was such a thing as an "itsy bitsy" piece of fudge...
    Cynthia ... hope your furry friend is feeling better ...
    Carol ... hoping the house sale is soon behind you...
    Jane ... hoping you soon find a place!
    To the others ... I read your posts ...

Back on track here too ... sugar binges have left me feeling sick ... blech!

DS had a migraine on Monday.... first since Father's day ... and his dad and I were the trigger ... got very upset with him ... overreacted actually to something he did. He became very upset and that seemed to be enough for a migraine. Good news though ... he worked through it ... taking some over the counter Aleve and only had it for 36 hours. This wouldn't have happened in the past ... we would have needed medical intervention. I wish after so many years that I had the parenting thing down pat ... but unfortunately I screw up sometimes. Sigh.

Have a great day!

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Barbie hope the cousin talk went well. Those are one of those times I like to shake afterwards to try and shake it off.

Alison have you tried a chiropractor or deep tissue massage. Often times the muscles are the underlying cause. Sorry you have this pain. It is awful. Sometimes that condition can be aggravated by the way you sit. It helps to make sure your knees are even or slightly above your hips. Unfortunately most chairs are designed for men who are taller than we are. The same is true when you sit in a car. Using a foot rest helps if you are in a chair. In the car adjusting and by lowering the seat if i possible and adjusting the steering wheel accordingly. I also use on long trips a back support and a seat cushion which helps me tremendously. I am much less stiff and sore the next day.

Today dancing in the park to big band music, so tomorrow I will be healthier.

2014 word:contentment

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Linda in N Ontario: 2.6 pounds is a victory! Congratulations. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love the flower pictures.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: It sounds like your cousin wants sympathy, not help. It must be frustrating for you. Having paid attention to your advice and gotten great results, I know she’s missing out on some of the best help available on the planet. We’ve had rain, too. It has been showers rather than all day soaking rain. I’m sure the land can use it and I don’t mind if it doesn’t keep up too long.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I hope your tomatoes turn out to be tasty. We planted the golden ones several years and they were noticeably less acidic than the red ones. We plant fewer varieties now and they got dropped in favor of Sweet Millions.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope you’ll post a picture of your Mrs. Cranky Pants mug some day. Congratulations on a fabulous air travel NSV!:flowerforyou:

Meg: Your dad must have noticed your vacation fatigue. I’m glad you had such a great time. I’m glad you came home to good weather. :flowerforyou:

Michele: What are they treating Lexi for? This sounds like serious stuff. :flowerforyou:

Joyce, IN: Your friend with the goats must be very dedicated, and good for her.:flowerforyou:

Lestan: Muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less space so it looks better, too. Congratulations on the good work getting healthier.:flowerforyou:

Anglergirl3: Welcome to a great group.:flowerforyou:

We went out for Chinese food with DS yesterday. DH and I both ordered ours without rice, and DS didn’t comment. I wonder what he thought, though. We can also order no MSG meals there, but not the soup.

Time for yoga

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    yes I am going to look into a massage, chiro to expensive... last massage I got was only 35.00 bucks for an hr massage, found it on groupon,i look there or living social and usually can find a deal..
    went and got my hair cut and visited with my girlfriend who is my hairdresser, our mutual friend that we went to school with came over and brought us BLT's on wheat toast:huh: couldn't resist and boy did it taste great. so added it on to my day,I was also bad and went to the health food store,poked around looking for sugar free protein powder ,which they didnt have but bought 2 small squares of dark chocolate:embarassed: ,put those in too.
    then came home and mowed the lawn,and the next door neighbors..he I havent heard it right from his wife but I think had a nervous breakdown and is hospitalized. he is a little odd anyway but a super nice guy and was always helping out neighbors, he came over twice while we were in florida a few winters ago and snowblowed both our driveways.. so I thought I would just do something nice for them.. after putting that away , came in and swept and washed the floors..
    so I think I am done for the day.. my back is a bit better.. praise the lord for that, but I am going to look into a massage for sure:heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Phew! A long, hot day. I've been preparing food for Monday's guest, watering the garden, and getting bits together for our weekend away. It is very hot here and it's been dry for a long time. I used 14 cans of water today and that didn't really touch the sides. They keep saying rain is coming and then it never comes. Ive got dry goods together for the two days and will do a cold box tomorrow morning. Cheese, milk, eggs, bread, butter, fruit. I managed to book a highly recommended restaurant for Saturday night nearby so only Friday to cater for. Going to open a French tin of cassoulet. Have with tomato salad. Fruit. Wine.:laugh: A bit of cheese.:laugh: It won't be a slimming day, but I'm aiming to get up at 6.30 so I can get 550 cals of exercise in before we leave.
    On the way we are going to stop for a previously booked tour of Charleston House, where Virginia Woolf's sister lived and all the Bloomsbury Group visited. They covered the interior with their paintings. On my bucket list.
    Then we wilk try to find the cottage which is in the middle of a field.:laugh: They said they have just left the key in the door! ! ! ! Of course our satnav has chosen this moment to start playing up :tongue: , so we will have to follow closely written instructions. They said the wifi is intermittent so I may not be able to log on here.:ohwell:
    The reason we are going away is to avoid a local festival which has been very noisy in the past. Apparently the owner has provided head sets so they can have silent entertainment after the close down hour.:laugh: Sounds an expensive trick! But I think he wants to avoid annoying the village. He runs a strawberry farm and the strawberries are delicious. My DSIL bought some at the local pub on Monday.:bigsmile:

So, I have a few pre holiday nerves, but not too terrible.

Just signed my landlord agreement for my new tenant in August.:bigsmile:

Love to all. Speak to you soon from glorious Sussex.

Heather in sunny and dry Hampshire UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, what a great NSV. I am looking forward to how I sit in the seats at Holiday World. I remember last year at one of the big water rides that I couldn't get out of the little raft thingy. My SIL had to help me out. It didn't help that the whole thing is on a large conveyer belt so it's moving and some one else is waiting to get in it almost while you are getting out. But my SIL and the attendant was on each side of me lifting me out. I am hoping that this year is better. Well my main hope is good weather. It needs to be warm enough that we aren't shivering after the water rides but cool enough that my MS can take it

Patty, that is awful about your friend. You are right, he put her in prison also. I hope he never gets out of prison so she can get on with her life.

Beth, an itsy bitsy piece of fudge is a tiny pinch of the fudge that I'm sure my daughter will buy. Maybe she will buy the maple which I don't like.

Welcome angler. Does your name mean that you fish?

Last night when DH got home from Karaoke he said he felt a fluttering in his chest. UHO! But when I asked what he meant about that it was a buzzing feeling in his chest over his heart. A nurse doesn't like to hear the word flutter when that person has atrial fib. He doesn't have any pain with it. He had a lot of caffeine last night. his heart rate was a little up for a person who is taking a beta blocker but he was pumped up. It was an OK rate today and still regular. He called the doctor's office this morning and they didn't think it was anything. I listened to his heart and didn't hear anything unusual, just the fact that his heart sounds weren't particularly loud.

Last night I went back to Kohl's and bought the size 12 of the two pair of capris that I bought a size 14 by mistake and I will look better if I lose a few more pounds. They look OK and as denim and other stretch pants go, they will be a little loser as I wear them.

Joyce, Indiana
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh Meg I wish I knew a computer geek or was a bit more patient to work in it myself. I hate,hate hate the Geek Squad. I was VERY clear about what I needed on the phone and repeated back what I'd get for the price. I took my computer there today to drop it off and not only did it rake well over an hour just to leave it but the geek was giving me prices 3 times what I was told for the same services. I just said put the hard drive in and I'll figure out how to put all the data back in it.

But I digress....

Hi everyone. Passing through in this itty, bitty iPad. Have been eating on plan but missed a few days of work outs. Looking forward to Zumba in the morning and biking on Saturday. Will take a little walk with my boy after dinner since it's such a nice day.

2 more orders to get out and I'm finally caught up. Wish I could stay this busy all the time!

Happy day to all!

xo- Gloria in Metro Detrot
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    good afternoon!
    Took Violet to her last swim class,Grandpa surprised her and came.
    Looked at a apt/townhouse that we fell in love with.Cheaper than most places.:heart::heart:
    Then we looked at 2 mobile homes,1 reaked of cigarette smoke/dog smell
    The other one was ok.Everything is about credit and pets.So we`ll see.
    Came home to no water,the pump went out.Nice call,the landlord doesn`t own and the bank won`t do anyhting.:mad: :explode:
    What a day.
    HUGS:heart:
    jane
    ps.could use some good vibes or prayers or both.
  • cobismom13
    Options
    Greetings, ladies. My name is Kate. I'm not new to the losing weight game, in fact I've been doing it for 50 years, being only 62, that's a long time. (does anyone remember the grapefruit diet---eat 1/2 a grapefruit with each meal?) Anyway, I'm not even new here, but have been absent. Right now my life is almost a tear jerker, but my husband and I are running through this phase laughing like little kids in a sprinkler. Retirement has hit, and we thought we had things under control, until.....ooops, forgot to tell the rest of the world.:tongue: Anyway, life is good, and this too shall pass. I've lost 100 lbs so far, 30 to go.....but even better than that.........I want to get my blood sugars so under control, they think they are in a too small Spanx. Am excited to get to know some of you better, and chat about our ups and possible downs. Have a great day!:heart:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kate! Welcome!

Jane, I'm sending you lots of prayers, good vibes and virtual hugs. (((((Jane))))) Hope you get the townhouse you love!

I'm getting ready to leave work and go pick up the handyman to clean the carpets. If this is not the last step in everything then I think I will give up!

I also think that as soon as the realtor leaves on Saturday that I will go to bed and stay there! I am exhausted and can't seem to get enough sleep.

If all goes as planned :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the boy child is going to go visit my parents for a week on August 1 and not come back until August 9! Then he's off to school on August 16. I will miss him, yet I won't miss his messes! I also won't miss his attitude! He informed me earlier in the week that he was not coming home to help me move when the house sells. I was tempted to tell him that I wouldn't be there to help him move to school either!! :angry:

Again, I've read everything and celebrated and commiserated as I went along. Just too tired, physically and mentally, to really respond much right now. Thanks for your support!

Carol in gloomy NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cloudy, some rain today.........the tornado that killed 2 in the campground this am was less than an hour away; was not bad here, about 2 min. of heavy rain; expecting more shortly this evening. Between all the bears and terrible weather, the summer here has been one for the books!!!

Took Gwen for her one month check up for the cataract surgery........expected to be an in and out
    oh, no.........he found something he had to take a special picture of, that has been there for ages..........of course it was nothing, just soaking good old medicare. Anyway, spent over four hours with her........then when I did her meds, the pharmacy gave her 4mg coumadin instead of 2mg........what next????? Then drove around putting out posters and entry forms for a race I'm helping with in November.

Have kind of that getting sick feeling you get in your upper throat...........hoping it's just an allergy thing...........

Welcome, newbies!

Kim.........Thanks for your suggestion..............The baking class sounds WAY too delicious! Hope your tv interview went well.

Michele.........Yay for Lexi eating again!!!

Renny.......EVIL jellybeans!!!! I remember just staring and staring and trying to memorize moments with my DD when she was a baby.............

Joyce............Goats????? I adore goats!!! They are my very favorite farm animal. Your friend is lucky......

Sylvia...........SUPER NSV!!!!!!!

Patty...........I'm with you, he should rot in there forever...........Certainly hope the petition works to keep him there.

Katla.........Well, I made my daughter taste the yellow cherry tomatoes first, then I did
    never ate a yellow tomato in my life before yesterday; taste is OK, color is most definately not...........am trying as best I can to pretend they are red; not really working.

jane..........fingers crossed once again for the townhouse........

Didn't sleep well last night, early one tonight, I hope.

Stay strong.
    yanniejanne
    mid-Atlantic
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Had a so so day today. Walked a bit more. Going to start by walking. And no shortness of breath was great.
    Thank you all for all the congrats on my weight loss. Only 1.4 to go to see 200 at tops less than that to see it on the wii.
    I don't think it will be tomorrow. Didn't eat the right foods today. Wasn't super bad just could have been better.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Omaha where the weather is gorgeous! Tomorrow will be a scorcher though…hotter for Vicki in Grand Island than here. Did all the grocery shopping today and ran into lots of people I know so it took hours! I actually saw this lady I haven’t seen in about 15 years. My old man cat and I met in her office all those years ago. This family brought him to work and I took him in her office and we played with him. She was astonished to hear he lived nearly 19 years. She had moved to Reno and hasn’t been back since, so that was a fun visit. DH took 11 rolls of film to be developed today plus all the digital pictures that have been hanging around on the cameras and on the computers. So I imagine we will be getting millions of photos back for me to attempt to scrapbook. I really need a scrapbook intervention.

Michele: LOL at your Halloween frosting!

Renny: do treasure all those moments; they will never be here again. Now jelly beans are one candy I actually like, but they have to be the old fashioned, old-flavored original ones, not the jelly bellies. They are really hard to find around here, even at Easter.

Joyce; sounds like an interesting lunch! Baby goats would be so cute. Glad DH is ok. I would love to be in a size 12! I am down to a 20….huge but much better than the 24s I used to wear!

Sylvia: WOW what a great nsv!!!

Lestan: it’s fun to hear about your seasons!

Cynthia: Benny Beagle sends get well wishes to your fur baby

Patty: what a horrific story about your friend. I hope she has healed over the last 30 years. Let’s hope the man who did this does not get paroled.

Anglergirl: welcome aboard! You joined by posting!

Alison: hope your back starts to feel better soon!

Beth: well the good news is that the migraine went away rather quickly and with over the counter meds. That is good DS is learning to deal with them. He won’t be able to live in a stress-free environment, so that will be an important skill for him to have. Don’t beat yourself up. You are a great mom and caring.

Margaret: have fun at the outdoor concert!

Katla: good to have those options at Chinese places~!

Heather: what wonderful adventures and travels you have!

Gloria: I have never used Geek Squad; I’m lucky to have a hubby who is a computer whiz

Jane: I’m doing the “house dance” for you so you find a nice place that fits your needs and budget!

Kate: welcome to our little group!

Carol: ahhhhhh children and their attitudes!!!!! That is exactly what I would say; I’m not helping you so you’d better find some way to make your move! I’ve only had to pull that once or twice; they get it pretty darned fast when faced with what seems like huge obstacles!

Well ladies I’m off to make DH a nice meal as thanks for planning and creating such a nice vacation. He really is not a detail person so I was amazed at the amount of effort and detail that went in to planning this trip for three couples. Steak, wine, broccoli with hollandaise, corn on the cob, and a little pasta. Oh, did I say wine??? Take care, Meg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sylvia, congrats on your NSV on the airplane….that must have been so satisfying for you and one more incentive to keep on going on this journey.

:flowerforyou: Alison, I want to echo the suggestion to go to the chiropractor…I have had remarkable results

:flowerforyou: Katla, I learn something new about being a good listener every time I call my cousin….I agree with you about ordering Chinese food without rice.

:heart: Jane, I’m thinking good thoughts for you and your housing situation.

:flowerforyou: NC Carol, when our house was on the market, our mantra was “Trust God, Clean House, Stay Busy” and after six months of that, a buyer appeared…..good luck to you.

:bigsmile: Busy day today with many hours of dog walking and line dance classes in the morning and afternoon. We’re only a few weeks away from the performance at the County Fair so practice is getting very intense. I called my cousin while I walked the dogs after afternoon dancing.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful (rainy) NW Washington

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: 32,000 steps today

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of a LaLoFit DVD. In one sense I don't like this DVD because he really doesn't have good cueing at all. But in another sense I like it in that you constantly have to go slower.

Tomorrow the plan is to do the deep water class. First I'll take my aluminum to the Humane Society then depending on the time I have I'll go to Bi-Lo (or else I'll go after the deep water class.)

Joyce - when Jessica finished college, we sold her refrigerator to a lady who makes goat cheese and needed to keep it refrigerated.

Sylvia - what a wonderful NSV. I'm so happy for you

CynthiaT60 - I'm sorry to hear about Charlie. Vince is so excited, we leave in a few to pick Lexi up

Patty - OMG! Your friend. I can't even imagine letting this guy in prison, death penalty is too nice for him. In this case, I can see an eye for an eye

anglergirl - welcome! Tell us more about yourself.

Alison - take care of yourself, REST girl!

Beth - sorry about your son's migraine.

katla - Lexi has hyperthyroidism. Two of our other cats had it, she didn't display any symptoms that we could see (increased appetite, etc) but when she went to the vet she'd lose 10 oz. She's only 6lbs so for her that's a significant weight loss. The vet did blood work and then wanted to do a (I think it's called) t-4 which we knew would be to comfirm hyperthroidism. We were giving her pills to control it only because we found it shortly before we were to go to FL and we knew that we needed to monitor her behavior. If something were to happen, our vet is in NC so we waited until we knew that we would be able to be home and monitor her. They injected her with radioactive isotope so that's why the precautions for the radioactivity. In a month, it'll all be over. We do need to get blood work for her in 1 month and then again in 3 months to be sure that it's doing the job, but the doc said he doesn't expect anything abnormal. Most cats get it later in life, she's only 6 so she's pretty young for it.

Weather.com just said "for Newton expect clear skies for the next 6 hours". So we went out to get Lexi and it was pouring!

Jane - good vibes and prayers being sent your way. Hope you get the place you want

Kate - welcome! Tell us more about yourself, where are you from, etc

Carol in NC - here's hoping the house sells fast. I don't think it at all out of line if you couldn't help your son move

Meg - I got Vince a bag of the Starburst jelly beans right after Easter. Do you know that he's STILL eating them? He likes the Starburst. Glad I didn't get more than one bag. Glad my "Halloween" frosting brought a smile to your face. That's what I get for buying seasonal things on sale and assuming that it was white icing! Well, there are so many preservatives in it, that I bet I could use it this Halloween and no one would have any problem at all.

Made some Bisquick biscuits for Vince. Went to give him some biscuits with his dinner tonight and realized I didn't have any. So I made some, will put the rest in the freezer. Now I'm making him a keylim cake. Hope it turns out well. Update: it came out of the pan OK, now for the "Vince" test. I didn't put the icing on it, tho. Wonder if that'll make any difference? Well, I won't tell Vince that there's no icing. Or...maybe I can use some of the Halloween icing....lol

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kate & cobiismmom: Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Yananiejannie: Gwen is lucky to have you in her life.:flowerforyou:

Jane: I’m joining Meg in the house dance. I hope you get a place that you love and feels like home.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Congratulations on a great vacation.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome for Lexi. Thanks for the information.:flowerforyou:

We just got home from the Thursday night concert. The music was excellent Jazz, and the group we met up with was pleasant and convivial. DS has gone home for a few days but his boat is not done, so he’ll be back soon. DDIL is in the middle of professional exams, and is doing well so far.

I’m tired and ready for bed. The concert was excellent and the company pleasant.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! It's been a wonderful day here in Oregon. I hit over 18,000 steps today, which is a new record. Hubby walked every one of them with me, and now he's saying his feet hurt. I kind of wanted to go a little farther. It was only 7 1/2 miles or so. Funny thing is that before we started walking on the trails I was tired and lethargic from lack of sleep, and didn't feel good at all. By the time I hit about 8,000 steps I felt really good! Must be those endorphins I've heard so much about.

We walked on some beautiful trails at the Lewis and Clark National historical park. The weather was perfect. The scenery was amazing. We saw plants, trees and flowers that we don't have at home. Very nice! Then we came to Seaside and checked into our hotel which is right on the beach. We walked down the long boardwalk and out to the (cold!) water. I've never seen such a WIDE beach! It must have been a quarter mile between the boardwalk and the water. It's dog friendly too, so we enjoyed watching a number of dogs playing at the waters edge.

Then we ate dinner at a BBQ place that was pretty awful. The guy working there (by himself) was so dirty and nasty looking that I nearly walked out, but we were tired of searching for food, so decided to give it a chance. It got 100% likes on Urbanspoon. After we got our food a young woman came in and started telling him what to do, so we thought she must be the owner of something. Turns out she looked almost as bad. Good thing we'll never have to go back.

Then we walked back to the beach to watch the sunset, which was blocked by a bank of clouds but still beautiful. Now I'm in my jammies getting ready to sleep, hearing all kind of noises from adjacent rooms and the exterior hallway. Good thing I brought earplugs.

Well, I don't think much of today's joke, seems mean to me, but maybe someone will like it:

:happy:

At a bar, one patron to another: “Excuse me but I think you owe me a drink.”

Why?

“You’re so ugly that I dropped mine when I saw you”

:laugh:

Goodnight!

Sylvia