What is clean eating?

Options
MzKym1981
MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Not sure. In for answers.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Everyone will probably give a slightly different answer (and I'm sure there will be some ridiculous comments like "food that is washed), but I strive to eat clean as often as possible.

The simplest definition in my book is: whole, single-ingredient foods or foods made with ingredients I understand and would use in home cooking. no artificial ingredients and no meat/dairy/eggs with antibiotics, hormones, etc.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is eating foods that help achieve your goals.

Any food can be "clean" if it helps you achieve what you want.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Food's you wash before you eat.

Otherwise as waldo says- it's the adjective diet.. you'll see a lot of this associated with it
    "pure"
    "unprocessed"
    "whole"
    "clean"
    "unchemical"
    "non-toxic"
    "no white breads"
    "no junk food"

It's largely dependent on who you are speaking with at the time- but it's arbitrary set of guide lines people use to describe how they eat.

Unfortunately it often creates this default "bad" connotation to all foods that are not "clean". which is just silly.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In for the opposing opinions!! Thank you Friday.

ETA: bad spelling.... :grumble:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Wash your fruits and veggies before eating!
    If you really need to clean up your diet, just cut down on some pre-packaged foods and up the fruits/veggies/lean meats. Still eat and enjoy what you want, just in moderation.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's only eating foods raised in your own personal garden/farm.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn about healthy eating, go to Harvard's Nutritionsource, a totally non-commercial, science-based approach made easy to understand and remember through such things as their "Healthy Eating Plate."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

Not eating something off the floor, or involved with scat.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it means washing your food before eating it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating has no clear cut definition. Generally it seems to be used by people who cut certain foods out of their diet to designate that they don't eat those foods. I believe in eating healthy, tend to eat seasonally and cook most of my food from whole foods (since I like to cook--I ate that way before losing weight too), and eat lots of vegetables, but I see no reason to adopt arbitrary rules about what I will or won't eat or eliminate foods and I don't think foods like ice cream or homemade pie are "unclean" or unacceptable in a healthy diet, so I reject the term as unhelpful and obnoxious.

If you think you have an issue with eating too many processed foods of certain types (remember that yogurt and frozen veggies, along with any number of other extremely healthy foods are "processed"), with lots of high calorie or non-nutrient-dense items, or too much fast food, etc., the problem is with making these things the center of your diet not with eating any of them ever. Definitely try focusing on vegetables and home cooked meals if that appeals to you -- I think that's an easy way to eat more healthfully and cut calories --- but I am forever mystified why people want to go to extremes from eating all of these items with no moderation at all to cutting things out and then announce that they are eating "clean." If you have to struggle to maintain some kind of special diet, vs. figuring out a way to eat healthfully within your preferences, then it's much less likely to be sustainable, and it's really not necessary.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    In for the comments! I love these clean eating threads! :heart:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is whatever you want it to be. Decide some things are bad, for whatever reason. Don't eat them. There you go, you're eating clean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It is a fairly abstract concept....

Just eat a well balanced diet that is chalk full of nutrition and use common sense...nutrition isn't rocket science.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Have you asked yourself that question? What do you consider clean eating op? I bet if you answer then make a few changes, you'll feel like you are "making better food choices".
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It's a marketing term that ignites debate and sells diet books, nothing more...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Always follow the proper sanitation practices when preparing your food, such as cooking your meats to the proper temperature, washing all fruits and vegetables before consuming them, and using clean, non-stagnated water, free from parasites. Especially if you're in a third-world country.

:laugh:
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's a marketing term that ignites debate and sells diet books, nothing more...

I totally agree. No one seems to agree on what "eating clean" actually means - some people focus on cutting out processed foods, others seem preoccupied with eating organic, non-GMO food. Many talk about avoiding chemicals and preservatives - which seems silly to me - food additives aren't inherently bad for you. It's a buzzword.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it means something different to each person, but to me it is just a matter of choosing consciously and deliberately a product in a more natural state.

Even most of those items are processed in one way or another, but for instance, instead of choosing a heavy whipping cream with sorbic acid, dipotassium phosphate, produced from cows given hormones, caged and milked by machinery (there is nothing wrong with making this choice in my opinion) you may select/choose a heavy cream from a local dairy that doesn't add preservatives and doesn't give their cows hormones, and maybe the cow lives outside and gets sunshine and is milked by hand.

This can be true of every item we purchase. I tend to shop the perimeter of my grocery store, which I find has items in their more natural states, however, I'm not against convenience and processed foods when they fit my goals. I do prefer to buy fresh vegetables from farmers whenever possible, but it isn't always convenient or affordable for my budget. I also like Birdseye Steamfresh vegetables from the freezer section because they are fast, easy, and sometimes less expensive than the same item from the produce section.

I personally don't see much difference between a fresh head of cauliflower from the produce section versus the bag of frozen chunks of cauliflower. One, I have to wash, remove stem and cut in chunks myself, boil, then use the food processor. The other, I pour from the bag into my pot, boil, then put in food processor. Sometimes I make the choice to save myself a step or two, but I still consider it eating "clean".
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You will get lots of interpretations on clean eating.

I try my best not to eat food with processed carbs because typically the beneficial fiber has been stripped out of it. I eat organic veggies when possible because I used to work with pesticides, I was licensed for years with restricted use pesticides; after I had to learn what was in them and be around them I do everything I can to limit my exposure. I eat grass fed local meats and organic chicken from the butcher when possible.

Do I freak out if I can't get organic veggies or grass fed meats? Nope, not at all.. I just prefer it. Is eating clean the only way to "do it right" NOPE not at all, I have plenty of friends on here and have seen countless successful people who don't eat like me. Everyone is different and do things for different reasons.

I used to eat mindlessly and would shovel food into my mouth without making decisions and caring what I ate, thats how I got to 375 lbs. I had to make a complete 180 change to be successful and its worked. With my decisions I have been able to lose a considerable amount of weight, maintain a "normal" A1C as a type 2 diabetic without medication, I go for long endurance rides weekly without bonking and lift heavy 5 days a week; can I say my diet is the only reason for my success.. again nope not at all, I am sure all of the other factors have played a part in it.