Most embarrassing 'fat' moment you can now laugh at?

Options
So today I got thinking about all the fun things I can't wait to get to do one I get my weight off--I want to skydive, water ski, ride all the rides at amusement parks, not have to worry about what kind of tables/booths are at a restaurant, etc.

But I also got thinking about the (now) hilarious (sort of...) but horrifically embarrassing and *awkward* moments I've had as a direct result of my fat *kitten*. Here's one that comes to mind as most recent.

As a Canadian, our winters are long and very annoying, so we all flock like Canada geese to warm tropical places in the dead of winter. This March I was in Cuba with some family and friends. Beautiful, brand new resort, plush furniture and decor. One afternoon I decided I wanted to spend a few hours on my balcony reading and relaxing. I go out, sit down in this beautiful brand new expensive looking wooden chair...and it literally collapses under me. I mean like I had to check my *kitten* for splinters collapse. So I get up, and all I can think of is how I'm going to explain this to housekeeping (as if they'll need an explanation)...my mother comes running out because she heard the incident (and my girly scream)...and doesn't really know what to say...god love her, she goes 'wow that is cheap furniture!'...which I am sure it was...and we both started laughing (I also cried a bit because I was just embarrassed and a bit overwhelmed).

So I call the front desk, and tell them that one of our chairs broke on the balcony. They send someone up right away. So he goes outside, probably expecting like an arm to be loose or something, and when he sees that this chair is literally decimated, he sort of stands there with his mouth hanging open...then looks at me, then back to the chair...and then goes 'OY!' ...it was SOOOO EMBARRASSING..he just mumbled something about replacing it as soon as possible and literally runs out of the room...I'm sure to laugh.

Anyway, at the time, it really upset me every time I thought about it for the next few days, but now I can look back and laugh at it. Like, laugh A LOT, because this poor young guy, who hardly spoke English, had this look on his face of both sheer terror of not knowing what to say and complete amusement.

So what is your most epic fatass tale that you can now laugh at (mostly)?

Replies

• stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that is awful! I am glad you can look back and laugh. I still cringe at some memories and although I don't have any quite like that where anything but my ego was broken.
    I still remember one time when I was younger and my friend had introduced me to a guy over the phone. We chatted for hours on my old Nokia and kind of hit it off. One day we agreed to meet in person finally. I showed up at the restaurant and waited outside. A few people came and went but no one ever spoke to me. One guy, by himself, walked by and looked at me but said nothing. He walked back to his car and drove away. I received a message soon after that he wasn't coming. That was the last I ever had contact with him.

Later on my friend confessed that she heard from him and he was angry that I was so fat and repulsive. :embarassed: :cry:
    I know I really shouldn't care because of how truly shallow it all was but I was young and still working thru how to be attractive to the opposite sex. Years and years of damage after that but alas somehow that sticks out the most.

But today I say to hell with them all I am damn good enough. :smokin:
    ...Ok, so I still have to give myself the occasional pep talk but it is starting to work.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Was at an amusement park and my large legs and thighs made it near impossible to get out of a ride. Was quite embarrassing. Never went to an amusement park after that. It happened in 1995.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't laugh at it. I cringe at how fat I was. Never again.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I THINK I'm ready to laugh at it now....I'll type it out and see. :glasses:

At my old place we had a tiny little laundry room that the owner had fit under the stairs for both the upper and lower suites to share.

There was a full sized washer and dryer and there was really only enough room to swing the dryer door open if you squished yourself up against the washer while opening it. I'm sure you see where this is going.

I was so big I could barely fit in the space to begin with but on this day I must have misjudged where I needed to stand because when I tried to force the door open past my thighs I literally pinned myself up against the washer and couldn't move the door one way or the other to get it out of the way. It was hurting me like crazy so I yelled for the upstairs neighbor to come and help. She was a little tiny thing but thankfully had enough strength to move the door off of me so I could "escape". Huge bruises took weeks to disappear.

Nope, decided I'm not ready to laugh quite yet. :noway:

(Edited to mention that my ticker only shows the weight from when I started MFP.....this incident happened when I weighed 200lbs)
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Oh God. I was once the guy who walked away and stood up a girl on a first date because I was disappointed at finding out she was fat. It was a blind date and I actually walked right past her and pretended I didn't recognise her. stormbornkrak story makes me feel really guilty. And now I think how ironic it is that how in time I became the fat one.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Four years ago, I was exploring my clients backyard with her. She see's her porch swing and sits down. Looks at me and says you better not sit down. She didn't think it could hold me. Now she has gained and I have lost enough that her family gave me a brand new pair of jeans that wouldn't fit my client. Karma. Lol
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful that I don't have too many, but ... A couple of weeks ago... I was with some friends and we were sliding off this water slide that was on a hill, so naturally I was complaining about having to go up. One of my guy friends told me to get on (his back) to carry me up. So I jump on... And he takes like 4 steps and is all "yeah... No" & puts me down!

Haha :( Embarrassing!! I need a man that's strong enough to give me a piggy back ride!
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Well, hmmmm. I've had the classic. Congrats you're pregnant...no I am not.....oh, come on you can tell me...no I am not pregnant....sure you are ......nope just gained weight now go away.....
  • NurseAlleyE
    NurseAlleyE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, hmmmm. I've had the classic. Congrats you're pregnant...no I am not.....oh, come on you can tell me...no I am not pregnant....sure you are ......nope just gained weight now go away.....

omg this happened to me once and i wanted to die. It was horribly embarrasing for the person that said it and me but honestly who the hell asks someone if their pregnant. Like i didnt even know the lady! So nosy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • flowersatlast
    flowersatlast Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts exactly, but...

I am a photographer and I was working a wedding. A woman, who I had noticed earlier in the evening rubbing her belly, approached me and said: 'I thought you were, you know, pregnant.'

I said: 'Nope. Are you?'

I don't even know what I was thinking. I spoke without really thinking about what I was saying, but in my defense-- she was the one rubbing her stomach the entire night!

She said: 'No, just chubby.'

I said: 'Me, too.'

She told me she needed to lose fifteen pounds. I told her that she looked quite lovely, but best of luck with that. She proceeded to tell me all about how she met her husband on Craigslist and about his mentally unstable ex-girlfriend. It was like a black hole of awkward that I could not escape and literally the oddest thing that's ever happened to me while working.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sitting in a seat on a small twin-engine commuter flight... pilot comes back before we close the door and asks me to move to the other side of the plane and closer to the wing (too much weight on one side, too far back). Embarrassing for me, probably scary as crap for everyone else on the flight.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    this is going back 10 years - but my son who was 6 at the time walked up and wrapped his arms around me while I was talking to some friends - he said "mommy I love your bum because its so big and squishy" - little brat
  • flowersatlast
    Options
    this is going back 10 years - but my son who was 6 at the time walked up and wrapped his arms around me while I was talking to some friends - he said "mommy I love your bum because its so big and squishy" - little brat

Haha. That's kind of adorable though.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options

omg this happened to me once and i wanted to die. It was horribly embarrasing for the person that said it and me but honestly who the hell asks someone if their pregnant. Like i didnt even know the lady! So nosy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep this happened to me too - was at a friends daughters birthday party and her sister-in-law asked about it. I was horrified - still am and can't laugh at it yet. Mostly because I gained a lot more after that (not because of that, but it was like 10 years ago). I am hoping to find it funny at some point.
  • flowersatlast
    Options

Yep this happened to me too - was at a friends daughters birthday party and her sister-in-law asked about it. I was horrified - still am and can't laugh at it yet. Mostly because I gained a lot more after that (not because of that, but it was like 10 years ago). I am hoping to find it funny at some point.

I don't understand why anyone asks this question. I've even been asked this question by women who are heavier set than I am-- because I carry my weight in my belly.
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't laugh about this yet but it was definitely embarrassing.

My ticker was down to 40lbs lost at the end of 2013 but I gained half of that back due to various reasons. Anyway, I was in Paris with my boyfriend at the beginning of May and I had spent the previous few days feeling fat, frumpy and uncomfortable. One day we went to the Sacre Coeur and we were being harassed constantly by the "looky looky" men who were trying to sell us their tacky bracelets and keyrings. I got quite forceful with one of them and firmly said, "no thank you, we're not interested!" and he glared at me and muttered, "you need to smile more, Big Mama..."

I burst into tears before I could even take five more steps and my poor boyfriend was bewildered because the man had said it quietly enough that only I had heard it. I told him what was said and he raced back over, roaring abuse at the guy, who simply shouted back, "so what? Yeah, I said it! Big Mama!"

I was mortified and it tainted the rest of the day. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone!
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sitting in church waiting for everyone to file in (it's very quiet). This REALLY large man walks past and my 5 yr old daughter in full 5 yr old voice says "Dad, that guy is really fat!" She then looks up at the horrified look on my face, thinking that she has somehow offended me and says "But not as fat as you dad, you're the fattest!" then wraps her arms around me for a big hug. Lots of chuckles, lots of embarrasement, little bit of dying on the inside.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Was at an amusement park and my large legs and thighs made it near impossible to get out of a ride. Was quite embarrassing. Never went to an amusement park after that. It happened in 1995.
    I haven't been to an amusement park since 2004. After waiting in line for over an hour, got on the roller coaster and couldn't get the shoulder harness to close enough to buckle. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my life. Even more so when the flight attendant wasn't being very attentive and I had to scream that I needed a seat belt extender. Yeah, horrifying. Maybe one day I will get to the point I can laugh at such things.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    it was a week after having me second child. i was outside in the yard sitting in an adirondack chair. you all know how wide those things are...so i thought i would have no problem getting up and out of it. Oh how wrong i was. my hubz had to take the baby and my father in law yanked me by the arms and i finally broke free from the grip it had on my *kitten*. yep... i guess you could say that was also the lightbuld moment in my life to change the way i was!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It was Chritmas time...gift exchange...I received a can of Slim Fast...

For those of you that may not be familiar with Slim Fast..it is a weigh loss shake/ fad diet system.

I have never forgotten this, or the feeling that came with it, the people involved, or the damage my self esteem took that day. I am still not at my goal, but whenever I struggle this is the story that I use to motivate and remind myself how good the choices I am making are. I struggle, I stumble, I am human, but this is what picks me up off the floor and gets me back out the door.

Edit: spelling mistakes, because it's Friday and I just can't even.