Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"

Totally know what you mean.

Here's my latest mentally fat moment- I walked by the mirror yesterday in my size 2 work pants and realized I needed to suck it in. THEN I realized how weird it was to feel fat while comfortably wearing a size 2 anything and especially after once comfortably fitting the same pants in a size 16. I understand my body composition could be improved, but I don't think my perception should be so dramatically skewed sometimes.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"

Umm a size 0? 00? 4 is not skinny at all ..

Umm....my colleague is a size 4 and has about 25lbs to lose. She is 4'9". "Skinny" is completely subjective and this comment irks me.
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed that I'm harder on myself now because I pay more attention now. When I was heavier, I didn't think much about my weight and only ever felt self-conscious if my clothes were considerably tighter than usual or if I caught an unflattering glimpse of myself in a reflection. Now I tend to study my body more and in turn, find more to criticize.

I completely agree!
  • Zikhona123
    Zikhona123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't feel fat anymore, but I'm paranoid about overeating. It's like if I overeat I'm going to wake up 30lbs heavier in the morning. My rational mind knows that's not going to happen, but it's tough shaking that feeling. The longer I maintain, the less I feel that way.

I feel like that too. I imagine myself as if i have gained extra kilos even from just eating one bad meal.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Where do you get off saying something like that? Especially when you write this on your profile...
    "I'm done accepting requests from guys. Also had to make my diary "friends only" because some of you people are too judgmental and rude "
    I think a size 4 is a size 8 in the UK and that's pretty small. There was absolutely no need for you to write that statement, and considering your dislike of 'rude, judgemental people', I would have thought you would be more considered in your contribution to this thread.

I think she was joking. Chill out!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes... it took a while for my mind to catch up to my body. Much better now but I still have my self conscience moments.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I went from a US size 22 to a size 4 in one year, everybody tells me how skinny I look.
    There are a few floor to ceiling mirrors in my home, Yet when I look in the mirror, what goes through my mind is Hmmm this mirror must be one of those slenderizing ones.
    Though I see a smaller sized person, somehow its not me.
    I wear smaller clothes, yet I feel that people who I know are in larger sizes, are somewhat smaller in size than me.
    I call it my body dysmorphia phase of weight loss.
    I am not unduly worried, hopefully my mental weight, will catch up with my physical weight soon.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    [

You are talking total nonsense.
    I am a size 4 and I feel my hipbones, which to me is the hallmark of being slim.
    what an ignorant comment.
    looking skeletal is not being skinny and 0 or 00 on most humans is looking skeletal quote me.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I think in my case, it's more related to dysmorphia. I'll occasionally see parts of my body as bigger than they are. Never the entire body.

I do still have a big person mentality, though. It's hard not to. The weight loss was drastic for me, too drastic. So, my mind didn't have enough time to catch up.

Sometimes, I look in the mirror and see a different person. That both astounds me and confuses me. My confidence is boosting, the more I progress, but it's taking time.

Also, size is... relative. lol I have been told - by both people here and offline - that I'm thin. And I was called skinny at my lowest weight. I am now a size 7, and I was a 5 then. Size has a lot to do with body type, and where a person carries their weight. I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. People often guess I'm a few sizes smaller than I am. I get 4 a lot, for example. They're always shocked to find out. Although, I hate when they guess. Feels like putting me on the spot. Especially since, at my highest weight, I looked like I should have been an 18... but not even the 20's at Ross would fit me. So, I kind of... trained myself to never, ever, ever answer that question. Even now, I feel a bit uncomfortable saying my size.

I do think that person was being sarcastic, though. :)
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Same here!!
    I'll still pick up a shirt or pair of jeans and think "there's NO way this can go on my body" and then it fits easily...
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Why are you saying "always"?? Change it, see what is really there, tell yourself that you're not and if that doesn't work, maybe you need to talk to a professional to work through that.
    I will always still feel mentally fat and see flab and saddlebags....
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I don't see any improvement at all and I am extremely self-conscious. I haven't even went and bought any new clothes because I'm too afraid to find out that I still can't fit in smaller sizes.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know I'm still fat, but I'm having this weird thing where I don't feel (or think I look) any different. Then again, photographs used to shock me, and now I go, "Yeah, that's what I look like," so maybe I've just lost weight to become the person I always thought I was.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely.
    I'm hoping my brain will catch up soon.
  • kidde029
    kidde029 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me and a friend were discussing this the other day. Part of me when I was bigger tricked me into thinking I looked better than I did especially when wearing clothes that were flattering. Now iv lost some of the weight I now look like I tricked myself to think I looked like when I was bigger. I feel as fat now as I did then. Its very frustrating. Still got a bit to go though so there is still time
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!