Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:

I stand by the post.

People aren't made to exercise. Exercise is a means to an end.

People aren't made to eat food.

It is a means to an end.

The point of all humans are to reproduce.

Everything else serves that purpose.

Even if it takes delusions or insanity to serve that purpose.

Of course, all people who say they love exercise aren't crazy- not even half of them. :)

By far most are in a delusional state conditioned by culture, or have a secondary objective, i.e. get people to enroll in their work-out class.

People who are rational know that exercise is not fun. But they need to to look good and be healthy.

We are talking repetitive exercise here and not a competitive sport like tennis or golf.

Truly an exercise in the absurd.
    Reducing the capacity to enjoy things and think to a pure repoductive function is ridiculous.

If the only purpose you have is to reproduce what are you doing on the Internet, Steve?
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people who love working out, doing dvd programs etc... 1.5 year later I still don't. I force myself to do it, typically really doing half of it because I can't keep up. I've tried lots of different things. . None of that 'exercise high'. At this point I realize I just don't want it hard enough.

Is it just me?

I hate exercising. I LOATHE it. HATE HATE HATE. That's why I don't....and that's why my weight loss isn't more consistent - lol. But hey...can't win 'em all!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I really enjoy is walking on the treadmill. And not the walking itself, but the audiobooks I listen to while I walk. Sometimes they're so good I can't resist walking more than I originally intended. If you do like walking try incline walking. That actually ranks up there with jogging.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I really enjoy is walking on the treadmill. And not the walking itself, but the audiobooks I listen to while I walk. Sometimes they're so good I can't resist walking more than I originally intended.

I love audio books while walking too-- it's really the only time I make for "reading."
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I hate it! I hate starting it, I hate while I'm doing it... but, once I'm done... I'm happy I did it!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

Of course, all people who say they love exercise aren't crazy- not even half of them. :)

By far most are in a delusional state conditioned by culture, or have a secondary objective, i.e. get people to enroll in their work-out class.

People who are rational know that exercise is not fun. But they need to to look good and be healthy.

We are talking repetitive exercise here and not a competitive sport like tennis or golf.

Hmmm, so by your logic humans aren't made to poop as it has nothing to do with reproduction.

That explains a lot about your posts since you are full of it. :bigsmile:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

I kind of get what you are saying here (I think) and I agree with you in part (lawd help me...)

I don't like they way the weight loss industry has seemingly taken ownership over exercise. It seems that nowadays the main reason for doing exercise is not the fitness benefits it confers, the joy of the game, the spiritual and mental sense of achievement or learning new skills and achieving your fitness goals.

No, it is the calorie burn...

I think people who incorporate exercise into their routines solely as a weight loss aid will eventually end up hating it or doing it begrudgingly unless they find the enjoyment of engaging in sport for its own end along the way.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like walking and listening to my favorite music, doing yard work, or deep cleaning in the house. One of my pals says to honor personal preference and that's the key to success. I have a fitbit and try to challenge myself to walk at least 5 miles a day. I have walk steadily for 1 hour but the rest is just moving around whether working or in the house.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising around other people. I do the work, but I worry so much about how I look to other people that I do everything in the most secluded manner I can.

I LOVE lifting. It's my favorite form of exercise. I absolutely ADORE deadlifts. The problem is the anxiety that builds as I come to anticipate being around the gym rats and the guys benching my squat. If I had the space and money to put a rack in my house and have a home gym, I'd probably totally get past that dithering phase where you just flip-flop on "Do I go work out today? I should. Do I wanna?" And once I fall off the wagon, I tend to pile on way too many school and work obligations for good functioning.

I also love hiking in woodsy areas, but I feel like it almost doesn't count as an exercise because, well, it's just walking. And as it turns out, I often end up spending more time taking pictures of spiders and insects (I'm a bug lover, don't judge lol) than I do actually hiking.

I haven't learned to love running itself yet, but I do adore the feeling of a good run completed, for sure. And since I can't stand to run on city streets, I love the seclusion and break away from real life that is running on park trails. It's the closer-to-nature experience of a good hike but harder on the body.

And there are things I don't like. I don't hate machines, but I certainly don't enjoy them and I don't really get the good buzz afterward like from running. I HATE stretching, but I know it's necessary, and I know I still don't stretch enough. One might guess that I'm not big on group fitness classes; aerobics, body sculpting, zumba, whatever you wanna call it, I don't get more motivated by the presence of other people. At best, I don't mind them. Video programs are pretty bleh for me as well.

I certainly don't blame people for not liking the exercise they do, but I am also in the camp that thinks these people just haven't found the physical activity they do like.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Someone forgot to tell Frank that "no no one LIKES exercise"

e4UWQ4A.gif
    This is mesmerizing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    -Dance
    -Gymnastics
    -Swimming
    -Hiking
    -Horseback Riding
    -Golfing
    -Riding a bike
    -Canoeing or kayaking
    -Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating

I'm allergic to horses... Don't know how to ride a bike, and I'm afraid of heights (which makes riding a bike difficult too, because yeah, it's THAT bad). I should try martial arts one day though. I've tried most of the other stuff...
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

This has to be a troll of the highest order. Just has to be...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

f4fffd45-8507-4eb9-9b7a-38cd1507b7fb_zps36d22a9b.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

I kind of get what you are saying here (I think) and I agree with you in part (lawd help me...)

I don't like they way the weight loss industry has seemingly taken ownership over exercise. It seems that nowadays the main reason for doing exercise is not the fitness benefits it confers, the joy of the game, the spiritual and mental sense of achievement or learning new skills and achieving your fitness goals.

No, it is the calorie burn...

I think people who incorporate exercise into their routines solely as a weight loss aid will eventually end up hating it or doing it begrudgingly unless they find the enjoyment of engaging in sport for its own end along the way.

This makes me a little crazy.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.

If walking is what you like, then just do that.

Multiple short walks count just as much as long walks. 10,000-12,000 steps a day will net you 5 miles of walking.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

I stand by the post.

It is a means to an end.

Truly an exercise in the absurd.
    Reducing the capacity to enjoy things and think to a pure repoductive function is ridiculous.

If the only purpose you have is to reproduce what are you doing on the Internet, Steve?
    He's skipping breakfast.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

I will have to disagree 100% with you on this.You're talking for everybody else, but I am sure, many people like myself, LOVEEEEEEEE working out. I actually hate it when I can't lift weights, sweat, run out of breath, feel lightheaded, be sore, be in pain, push myself beyond my limits and see how far I can get. In fact, it is the only thing that truly makes me happy.
    I keep seeing people who love working out, doing dvd programs etc... 1.5 year later I still don't. I force myself to do it, typically really doing half of it because I can't keep up. I've tried lots of different things. . None of that 'exercise high'. At this point I realize I just don't want it hard enough.

Is it just me?
    To the OP. There are many ways of exercising. While I understand not everybody will love to workout, you can find what works better for you and makes you feel good/happy. For instance, I hate doing Yoga, and as much as I know it is beyond good for our bodies, I have tried it and it feels like torture. For some people, Yoga is the only thing they enjoy and they will get amazing results with it. So my advice to you is, experiment with different types of exercises. Yoga, bicycle, swimming, rock climbing, etc. There are infinite amount of things you can try until you find what you like the best.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I used to be a hangry cardio queen. I hated it, but it was all I knew. I'd force myself to do an hour on the cardio equipment at the gym, or do some insane workout DVD at home.

In May, I started lifting heavy. And since then, I eagerly await my morning alarm clock so that I can go lift 3x a week at 5:00am. I love it. Not once have I ever thought "Gee, I really don't want to go to the gym and squat with the weight of a small human-being on my back". I found what works for me, and that will be something different for everyone.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Is it just me?

You can't cook a chicken and you hate exercise. Woman! Come on!!!

:wink:
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Find something you love, like hiking, kickboxing, biking, dancing, etc. I enjoy hiking, martial arts and dancing. So that's what I tend to do for exercise. I also try different things so that I can see if I like it. I find making a commitment helps me to stay motivated and if it's something I don't hate doing then I'm more likely to do it.