think im giving up on the gut flab

Options
2»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You'll want to stay as close as possible to your calorie level. How far under are you typically? It also depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you're counting calories but they're all bad calories you aren't going to see very many results. Maybe see if you can find a healthy meal plan to follow. That combined with your workouts should really help.

Please explain to me the difference between a good calorie and a bad calorie and how our body can tell.

A good calorie would be something along the lines of veggies, lean protein such as chicken, white fish, eggs, greek yogurt, healthy fats like avocados, almonds and whole grain breads and pastas. 400 calories of vegetables is going to go a lot further than 400 calories of grease and oil such as chips and fried foods and fast foods.
    LOL.

400 calories is 400 calories when it comes to losing weight.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You'll want to stay as close as possible to your calorie level. How far under are you typically? It also depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you're counting calories but they're all bad calories you aren't going to see very many results. Maybe see if you can find a healthy meal plan to follow. That combined with your workouts should really help.

Please explain to me the difference between a good calorie and a bad calorie and how our body can tell.

A good calorie would be something along the lines of veggies, lean protein such as chicken, white fish, eggs, greek yogurt, healthy fats like avocados, almonds and whole grain breads and pastas. 400 calories of vegetables is going to go a lot further than 400 calories of grease and oil such as chips and fried foods and fast foods. It's important you still get enough food though otherwise you don't get the nutrients you need.

I love all that food so it gets to be difficult at times, but if you're pacing yourself and only indulging every now and then you'll have better luck with your weight loss.

Tell me how 400 calories of vegetables is different than 400 calories of chips when it comes to weight loss.
  • LaurLaur242
    LaurLaur242 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. Pilates was the only thing that helped with the "gut flab". I used to take a class just once a week and reshaped my body and strengthened my core. In the past couple of years, I have gained it back and I still have plenty of gut flab, but lately I noticed that I have reduced it by doing a moderate amount of Pilates at home . Good luck to you :)
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options

A good calorie would be something along the lines of veggies, lean protein such as chicken, white fish, eggs, greek yogurt, healthy fats like avocados, almonds and whole grain breads and pastas. 400 calories of vegetables is going to go a lot further than 400 calories of grease and oil such as chips and fried foods and fast foods.
    LOL.

Not true at all. I work out on a regular basis. For a month I ate 1400-1600 calories a day of whatever I wanted. Fast food, chips, greasy, oil covered foods and stayed at my current weight. I didn't gain weight. I was building the muscle that I wanted but I wasn't seeing any change in my weight or even inches. So I followed a friends advice and I ate clean foods. Chicken, veggies, whole wheats, fruits...I was following the same amount of calories, averaging between 1400-1600 calories a day...in the first 2 weeks I had lost 5 pounds. I'm continuing with the HEALTHY eating and i'm down 15 pounds. I do have my cheat days every now and then that stop my weight loss for a couple days but as long as i'm staying consistent with the healthy eating I continue to lose.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

LOL.

Not true at all. I work out on a regular basis. For a month I ate 1400-1600 calories a day of whatever I wanted. Fast food, chips, greasy, oil covered foods and stayed at my current weight. I didn't gain weight. I was building the muscle that I wanted but I wasn't seeing any change in my weight or even inches. So I followed a friends advice and I ate clean foods. Chicken, veggies, whole wheats, fruits...I was following the same amount of calories, averaging between 1400-1600 calories a day...in the first 2 weeks I had lost 5 pounds. I'm continuing with the HEALTHY eating and i'm down 15 pounds. I do have my cheat days every now and then that stop my weight loss for a couple days but as long as i'm staying consistent with the healthy eating I continue to lose.

Please don't turn this into a "my food is healthier than yours" thread. There's nothing wrong with eating what you would consider "unclean" food, and I highly doubt it was the food itself that hindered your weight loss. Congrats on your progress nonetheless.
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options

LOL.

Please don't turn this into a "my food is healthier than yours" thread. There's nothing wrong with eating what you would consider "unclean" food, and I highly doubt it was the food itself that hindered your weight loss. Congrats on your progress nonetheless.

Someone asked advise and I gave the advise that worked for me. I've tried a lot of things and what i've seen the most success with was eating healthy combined with working out. If that's not something someone wants to do, that's fine. I'm just simply stating what i've found works for me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

LOL.

It is completely true. That you don't understand it and try to use anecdotal info to prove it really isn't my problem. But, if that's what you call proof, I've lost 47 pounds eating chips, ice cream, Oreos, Lucky Charms, pound cake, gelato, etc.

A calorie is a calorie, for purposes of weight loss. Period.
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options

LOL.

It is completely true. That you don't understand it and try to use anecdotal info to prove it really isn't my problem. But, if that's what you call proof, I've lost 47 pounds eating chips, ice cream, Oreos, Lucky Charms, pound cake, gelato, etc.

A calorie is a calorie, for purposes of weight loss. Period.

Congratulations on your weight loss. That's great. I'm just simply stating what has worked for me.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    From what everyone on MFP says and everything I've read elsewhere (except by people trying to sell me something) gut flab isn't going anywhere until a person drops below whatever body fat level is required for their body to start scavenging it, and no diet or exercise routine will change that. For some of us, that means being GAUNT everywhere else. So if it's not worth it to you, don't do it.

Yes, the bolded part is true.

The bit about being gaunt and that no diet or exercise routine will change it is not. You can lower %BF in two ways.

1) Cutting only. This is the method that leads to gauntness in some, no matter the exercise they do.
    2) Bulk and cut. Build muscle and add some fat, then cut the fat and some muscle. Rinse and repeat until you get to where you want to be. Tailor your workouts to put muscle where you tend to be gaunt.

So, OP, I'd start a bulk if you're as lean as you want to get and want to give it one last shot.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

LOL.

Coincidentally we tend to ask about to continue in their efforts for six to eight weeks before declaring plateau on the scale...