Anything I can do about this woman?

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
I get up every other morning between 5:30 and 5:45 to go for a jog. My husband does the same on alternate mornings. There's only one route option - turn left and run a few miles up the road, turn around and come back. If I turn right from my doorstep, I hit a main thruway within less than a mile. There are no turn offs from my street. The road is rural so there's not much of a shoulder.. really just enough room for me to run in the foot and a half of concrete between the white line and the grass (and corn fields.) I take the dog, who runs on my left in the grass, and we run into what little traffic there is in the wee hours of the morning. The speed limit is 45 mph, but most people drive 65+... the road is long and flat, and most people slow down or move over part if not all of the way into the other lane as they pass me. I give them a little wave to thank them for not mowing me down - some wave back, some don't.

The exception to this ideal situation is this one sour-puss faced *kitten* in a black Chevy Cobalt who travels the road every morning when I'm about 3/4 of the way through my run. She doesn't slow down. She doesn't scoot over. I could deal with those two facts except she seems to be inching closer and closer to the white line each morning. This morning she passed me at an exceptionally narrow place on my run, and I not only felt the breeze as she passed me (I'm used to that with close passers) but actually felt the heat of her car. She was inches from grazing me with her side mirror. I had to jump in the grass a little and actually kick the dog a bit to get her to scoot over (she's short and hates going in the tall grass).

So I spent the rest of my jog pondering if I had any options and if so, which one I should do. Here's what I came up with.

1. Do nothing.

2. Leave a half an hour earlier. Finish my run before she has a chance to try and run me over. Spend the extra half an hour between end-of-run and work studying the Bible and praying for her soul.

3. Run with a sign that says "Scoot over" or "Slow down" or "Please don't freaking run me over" and hold it up when she passes.

4. Run just barely over the white line, a little into her lane and play chicken with her. It's her conscious that has to deal with the consequences, right? Although based on this mornings happenings, I should prepare for the worst.

5. Flip her off and hope she doesn't aim for me tomorrow.

6. Leave a half an hour earlier. Finish my run before she has a chance to try and run me over. Spend the extra half an hour between end-of-run and work to wait at the end of my driveway in my car, and when she passes follow her to her destination - which I assume will either be home or a place of employment. If she does go home, search public records to find out her name and send her a nasty letter about etiquette when passing pedestrians, and as an extra good measure, include the link to what Resting Face" is and how she should work on hers.

Which of these would you do? Or does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• lisajtubs
    lisajtubs Posts: 62
    Options
    well, there is what i would actually like to do (stinger in the road, kick car as it passes, shoot out tyres?) and then there is what I would actually do, which is take down the number plate and report her to the police for unsafe driving!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just break up
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    well, there is what i would actually like to do (stinger in the road, kick car as it passes, shoot out tyres?) and then there is what I would actually do, which is take down the number plate and report her to the police for unsafe driving!

Stand in the grass and photograph her car coming and going. Depending on the laws in your area, the police may or may not be able to do anything. However, being photographed might put some fear in her.

Then start running a half hour earlier.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    what about calling the police to see what they advise? Maybe they would be willing to set up radar if you let them know speeding cars are a concern. This may deter some of the speeders. I live on a fairly narrow road without much of a shoulder- most people are able to slow down and move over enough, but I have had some close calls and generally jump off into the grass/woods. I have flipped off one guy, but it didn't seem to do much lol. Good luck
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Women drivers...
  • dj1skywalker
    Options

Stand in the grass and photograph her car coming and going. Depending on the laws in your area, the police may or may not be able to do anything. However, being photographed might put some fear in her.

Then start running a half hour earlier.

Like the photograph idea...she will see you doing it and may change her ways
    Best Wishes xxx
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the advice to jot down her license plate # and provide that as well as a description of her vehicle (just in case) to the police as ask if they could contact her to request she drive more carefully and/or what other options you might have.

I like the sign idea too. Make sure it's bright neon colors so she sees it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a matter of her being on her phone or otherwise distracted (eating, drinking, driving half asleep since it's so darn early, etc).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think both calling the police AND taking her license plate number are good ideas... Plus running a half hour early and then spending the extra half hour praying for her soul. Following her to her destination seems a bit 'stalker' to me - why not try something a little less intrusive/likely to get a restraining order called out on you first?
  • RiverBug89
    RiverBug89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would call the police as well- this sounds kind of creepy and threatening :(
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Take down her licence plate number and contact the police, if they cant do anything about her then follow her to where ever she goes and have a chat with her and tell her your concerns and ask her to slow down a bit. Chances are she is speeding towards work every morning, but she should be aware of you by now. A speed camera on that road would do wonders, or maybe contact the council and ask them to put in a footpath or widen the road a bit. Good luck :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    She's a woman driver and it's the morning, so she's probably drinking coffee and putting on makeup at the same time and doesn't see you! But you know what else she can't see? A handful of nails accidentally dropped on the side of the road.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Just break up

or see if IFYM
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i'm lovin option 6!
  • suzybee30
    suzybee30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It seems to be the consensus; take down the make, model, color, and license plate number and report her to the police. She either is an aggressive driver, one who talks on her cell and drives, or just is not courteous. Either way, she needs the law to give her a talking. I personally would not approach her myself as that might cause further aggression on her part.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Run 1/2 hour earlier. Wait for her and then follow her to her destination. Shove dog turds in the tailpipe of her car.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Start running with a big pointy stick so if so if she gets too close she will get a big old scratch down the side of the car - kind of like they used to do on Roman chariots
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is it sad that of all the things I thought of, actually calling the police with her license plate never crossed my mind?

I've never seen her on the phone or putting on make up, but I also don't think it ever registers to her that I'm there. There's no "acknowledgement" so to say... I look at the face of every driver that passes and try to make eye contact but she's just scowling and never even glances my way.

And just break up? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Report license plate and make model to police for reckless driving. Don't throw manure or other waste, that's not civilized :)
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd do option #2 because....

1.) You are grown and don't have time for the nonsense.
    2.) Karma is a generous b****
    3.)If you believe in God, he WILL come through for you.
    4.) You're jogging to improve your life. Why risk it by provoking some looney toon, who seems like she MAY not move out of the way. Just because she drives, doesn't mean she is well mentally.

I know some people may feel that this option is a tiny bit passive, but you CAN do something about it. You can make complaints and request ways for this to be fixed. I just don't think it's safe for you to follow this woman home. You can take down her license plate and call the police as well. Maybe if she sees you doing this, she'll stop. However, I wouldn't do anything that could risk your safety or cause a fight. It's just not worth it. Also, if you still wish to run at your normal time, you can get a friend to go with you. (Human :laugh: ) You'd have a witness and maybe encourage her to move it over. I'd wave at the woman as she passes you as well, and smile as big as you possibly can! LET HER KNOW THAT SHE'S NOT STOPPING A DAMN THING!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like the running with a stick idea. It's a useful tool against dogs as well.

eta - There is an older man in my area that runs with a stick and he put bright orange tape around the bottom. As cars are driving by, he will hold it up to get the driver's attention. It may work for you.