Negative Language About Thin People

Options

Replies

• fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Sorry ladies, gotta agree here...*most* men are way more forgiving on female body types. Women are their own worst enemies because, for the most part, they fail to see their best qualities and focus only on their perceived flaws.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Actually there's a whole subculture of men who perpetuate hate for women in general. It's just since it's not socially acceptable it's kept underground. I've been privvy to a few conversations myself with men who I thought were decent guys... got a little too comfortable around me and started showing their inner self. Hell, take a look at the website www.returnofkings.com or any PUA website.

How are these men specifically targeting larger women (which was your original point)?

They had a whole week dedicated to targeting fat women. Read some of the articles. I think the hashtag #fatshaming or something like that.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Sorry ladies, gotta agree here...*most* men are way more forgiving on female body types. Women are their own worst enemies because, for the most part, they fail to see their best qualities and focus only on their perceived flaws.

Eh, I think it comes from both sides. Men are just as guilty as women and vice versa. Until we can change the language of our culture to reflect that we are responsible for our own selves and no one else the negative langauage on both sides will continue.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    women are awful..

I feel its primally based..a woman that is deemed more attractive by other women is viewed as "competition"..wether she is or not.

False. Women aren't awful. Our patriarchical society places women in a position where they are forced to rely on their appearance as their main source of power and self-esteem. Society creates the game in which women "compete". Also, I know many, many women who regardless of body size manage not to tear other women down. You were being a hateful person because you were being hateful, not because of some idea of competition that other women place on you.

Oh and the term "skinny b*tch" is something that has been perpetuates as a compliment actually. Have you not seen the book entitled "Skinny B*tch" that was written by thin women as a manifesto in how to use a vegan diet to become a powerful skinny person? B*tch is not always derrogatory. Also, when I've heard the term "skinny b*tch" it's always been about women who are both skinny and b*tches. She may have been talking about the women that you often find in yoga classes. You know the one that look at the heavier women as if they aren't as good as them and don't deserve to be in the class? I've seen it happen a few times. People can be mean regardless of gender or size.

I agree.

If we want to stop this - both women AND men. We need to start sanding up against it. This isn't just a ladies only problem. If someone is behaving discriminatorily, be DECENT HUMAN, regardless of your gender, and stand up against it. I'm guilty of not standing up against bad behavior. It's hard to go against what is normal in society. But if we want it to end, we are ALL responsible.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I really disagree with this. I think there are a multitude of factors that determine how people react to others. Maybe said person is obnoxious, a slob, plain rude, ignorant, etc. etc. etc... I think that the over simplification to "fat or skinny" is kind of short sighted. Regardless, haters are gonna hate. It is really up to the skinny/fat girl to be self-confident, self-aware and let that shiz roll off her like water on a duck's back. People can only make your life hell if you allow them to. :WORD:

hgh6.gif
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Skinny B*tch is just as unacceptable as fat B*tch.

I find neither clever, or charming.

While people can only let a word affect them if they chose to, it takes no effort whatsoever just not to use those words.;
    \
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options

If you ladies want to hate each other go right ahead, we know better than to try to stop you.

But don't throw men under the bus. We're not making life hell for bigger women. We are celebrating them, encouraging them, laughing with them, dating them, and marrying them.

A lot of what you think of as "men" or "society" is really just those trash magazines you keep buying and supporting.

THIS. It's ridiculous to say that "men are making life hell for bigger women". It's equally stupid to say "men are making life hell for women in general". The thing is, men are all DIFFERENT. Some men like thin women, some like more full figured women. What a man wants is not determined by what YOU think is attractive in a magazine. And if a man is making your life hell, then drop his pathetic *kitten*, cause he's not worth it. Same for other females in your life. If he/she doesn't support you or help you in your journey, then you shouldn't be wasting your time.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Actually there's a whole subculture of men who perpetuate hate for women in general. It's just since it's not socially acceptable it's kept underground. I've been privvy to a few conversations myself with men who I thought were decent guys... got a little too comfortable around me and started showing their inner self. Hell, take a look at the website www.returnofkings.com or any PUA website.

How are these men specifically targeting larger women (which was your original point)?

They had a whole week dedicated to targeting fat women. Read some of the articles. I think the hashtag #fatshaming or something like that.

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

And there's a whole subculture of women who perpetuate hate for men....there's a whole subculture of white people who perpetuate hate for non-white people.....there's a whole subculture of PEOPLE who perpetuate hate for gay people...so on and so forth.

Protip: using "fatty" in your username is probably not the best way to reduce the level of people who hate other people for whatever reason.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

If you ladies want to hate each other go right ahead, we know better than to try to stop you.

But don't throw men under the bus. We're not making life hell for bigger women. We are celebrating them, encouraging them, laughing with them, dating them, and marrying them.

A lot of what you think of as "men" or "society" is really just those trash magazines you keep buying and supporting.

Troof
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.

I don't and I've never implied that I have. I was pointing out that men are just as guilty of perpetuating body shaming as women are. Like it or not. BTW, that twitter trend was thought of, perpetuated by, and continued by that one specific website.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I think the only times it's OK to make a comment on someone's weight are:
    - they ask your opinion
    - you're their doctor
    - you're their loved one
    - you're alone & think it in your own head or say it so nobody else can hear you

Being a healthy weight shouldn't be cause for anyone to make comments other than "you look fabulous!".
    Being anorexic (as some people here on MFP are) should raise concerns.
    That being said, I think the negative comments against fat people are much more prevalent and hurtful.
    Saying something mean to a skinny person is generally jealousy, so I see it as showing how much the fat person is hurting & pity them for their attitude.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

And there's a whole subculture of women who perpetuate hate for men....there's a whole subculture of white people who perpetuate hate for non-white people.....there's a whole subculture of PEOPLE who perpetuate hate for gay people...so on and so forth.

Protip: using "fatty" in your username is probably not the best way to reduce the level of people who hate other people for whatever reason.

Protip: I've been Fatty McRunnerPants for years. Get over it. I own what I am.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I don't and I've never implied that I have. I was pointing out that men are just as guilty of perpetuating body shaming as women are. Like it or not. BTW, that twitter trend was thought of, perpetuated by, and continued by that one specific website.
    might i ask what website it was? i have a feeling i already know, just curious. and if im right, they have trended alot worse things than #fatshaming
  • captaindle
    captaindle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    People can only make your life hell if you allow them to. :WORD:

This is a great point and imo so true. Thanks!
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to have the word "skinny" used to describe me in any context. Critique away ladies!
    lol

I had a lady call me a skinny b*tch once and I high fived her. I was so happy to be called skinny. I didn't lose weight a good way then, I had basically stopped eating because I was super depressed but I was pretty happy to be called skinny! The b*tch part doesn't bother me.

People can call me whatever they want. It's their issue. Not mine.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This issue is broader than woman-on-woman crimes.

We use our eyes, ears, and brains to make assessments of others every day; that's how we're wired. If we think someone smells unattractive, we label them unclean or gross. If we think someone looks disheveled, we label them slobby, so on and so forth. The human mind loves sorting and labels are a part of that.

Yes, no matter what you look like or do, people will draw their conclusions based on that. There will always be someone insulting you for being too fat, too thin, too tall, too short, etc.

As an adult, you cannot feel an emotion you do not allow yourself to. Be better and let people think what they want. Do your thing and the pieces will fall into place.

(Want to clarify: I'm not saying that women judging other women or the objectification of womens' bodies aren't issues; they are. But it's broader than that. There will be judgy people everywhere you go.)
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Um...you're aware of the term "BBC" too, right?

Being fetishized is soooooo flattering!

The term BBW is based on the singling out heavy female bodies in the same way that BBC singles out black male bodies. Despite the fact that people seek out those who fit those terms, they are both offensive in my opinion.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've gotten way more hell from women over my weight than I ever have from men.

In return, I've been guilty of negative comments towards both women much thinner than I am and much bigger than I am.

It's taken me a while to work on my maturity to not have those thoughts and for the most part I'm ok. It comes from a place of jealousy and it's hard to face that within yourself, so most people wont, preferring to make comments about other people instead. -shrug- it is what it is. It's sad, and I cope by removing myself from those trains of thoughts.